Hey, Veeky Forums

Hey, Veeky Forums

Just bought my first car, a 2003 Toyota Echo, 250,000 on the odometer, a rusty front-right quarter panel, 4 door, looks like pic related, but it's not mine. Too dark to take a picture right now. It's a 5 speed, and while I have been driving autos only before this, I'm coming along with it.

Anyways, is there anything I should expect with that car? The dimmer switch knob is broken off, can I replace it with one off any Toyota of the same year? Thanks.

250 km or miles?
How much did you pay?
Pic related?

It's in Km, and I payed 15 KanadaKredits for it. Pic is mildly related, looks identical to mine.

that's 155k miles, give or take a few hundred. you got this piece of shit for fifteen canadian dollars? great job op. i'm honestly jealous.

I'm more or less sure you can get the summer switch knob from other models.

It's a good shitbox. Should last for a long time if you take care of it.

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿$15??????????

For 1.5k (cdn) I hope it come with a list of reparations done to it or a proof of some sort that is mechanically well maintened.

Even thought it should be good for a few thousand more you should keep an eye or two under the hood for a car of 250k (km)

You could've gotten a newer chevy aveo for the same price and it would've way more fun to DD (drink and drive) in.

great car. Lemme know if you wanna rice/modify It. I've got links saved for various aftermarket parts for it. You'd be surprised the aftermarket support for it.

I've had two family members wi bad Aveo experiences, so I decided to not risk it.
Thanks, I figured I had a lot of OEM parts around, in Toyota style, but never looked into the aftermarket.
Yep, had the exhaust redone, rocker work, struts, undercoating, and a few more things.
Sorry, meant 1.5k
Sorry

Good pick OP, they're tanks. Just keep an eye on things like brake and fuel lines in terms of rust, there is precious little that can go wrong. Baseline the fluids and filters (engine and gearbox oil, coolant, brakes and steering if you're really OCD), check the suspension and brakes for loose or worn components, and enjoy! The chain driven 1.5L motor is great.

>Our resident chevy shitbox shill
Go back in your box cletus

This has to be trolling.

Sure buy an Aveo if you want low 20s city MPG, awful build quality and not an ounce of refinement from the engine.

Thanks, the CEL is a bit irritating, but I know it's nothing serious. I'm hoping to install a tachometer soon.

Oh, thanks to MightyBenz for checking the vin for me. It was in an accident, unreported by the vin check, but whoever repaired it did it properly, and it drives straight, and nothing grinds, but the hood and front bumper are slightly off.

>chevy aveo
... if you want your engine to explode when the timing belt fails at 40k miles

I heard timing belts were bad news, the 1NZ-F has a chain, which is nice. It's also very lively, I thought they were single cam, but apparently not, and is it 3 valve, or 4 valve? It's an economy engine, so 3 valve sounds right. It also loves to rev, but I don't know what to.

It's labour day tomorrow, I won't be able to check Napa for tachs or wheel bearings, so I'll take some pictures then.

>but never looked into the aftermarket.
lemme know if you want it. I looked into what was compatible from all the sister cars.

4 valve, DOHC. 3 valves actually were never very popular. It's easier to find a 2 or 4 valve car than a 3 valve.

I will if I need it. There's a recycling depot in town with an identical echo, but with body colour bumpers which I desire, but it's on top of a 2nd generation Civic, which is on top of a last generation SX20.

Thanks, I didn't think they would use such a sport-oriented setup in an economy engine, but there they are.

>I will if I need it.
no one NEEDS aftermarket performance parts. That's something you buy because you WANT to. See this Echo here? That's a Blitz supercharger under the hood.

Even the Aveo used a DOHC 4 valve engine. In fact, in that class of cars, only the Honda Fit used a SOHC engine, and even then it had 4 valves per cylinder. Only the newest fits finally have DOHC.

It's not really about sportiness, 4 valves just happens to be a more efficient design.

Ohh, that looks pretty nice. My insurance plan, on the terms of dirt cheap payments, won't allow power modifications, in that vauge term. There might be some wiggle room, plugs, suspension bits, maybe exhaust, but they'd throw a hissy fit if I tried to throw a supercharger, or a turbinecharger on it. It's not a heavy car, the 105 hp it makes seems to give it lively behaviour for now, I might get some good stuff if I switch plans in the future.

Huh, always saw two cams as a higher up option, same with variable valve timing.
Oh, that makes sense.

The good thing is yours is a 2003 model, which makes modifying easier, especially engine mods. In 2003, along with the facelift, the Echo got a new ECU.... shared with the Scion xB and xA or the same time. suspension parts for either of the 04-06 xA and xB will work from the sway bars struts, and shocks. Even brake kits are interchangeable. Exhaust, you have to either go custom or use a system for the xA the xB's exhaust is too long.

Here's what I would do:

Struts/shocks: either TRD units or Koni yellows, for the Scion xA

springs: take your pick, though I'd prefer H&R, Eibach, TRD, or Tein.

Sway bars: Hotchkis competition sway bars. fastscions.com has them.

Brakes: Wilwoof does a 4 piston front kit for the xA/xB which works on the Echo. PB Brakes also offers a front big brake kit, as well as a rear disc conversion kit

Then swap the steering wheel for one from a Toyota Celica, grab some aftermarket seat brackets and either Corbeau or Recaro seats.

Wheels is your choice. However I looked forever to find where to get some TRD TF1 wheels because it was what Toyota used for them in Japan. I FINALLY found where you can get a set since they were JDM only.
Japanparts.com has them in the 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris section.

Sorry for the lack of links. Veeky Forums thinks this is spam but doesn't think Alphonse is spam...