Why is the R33 so unloved compared to the 32 and 34?

Why is the R33 so unloved compared to the 32 and 34?

Other urls found in this thread:

brie.berkeley.edu/publications/WP162.pdf
sau.com.au/forums/topic/427705-r32-gts-weight-distribution/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because Americans are dumb

>Superior to r32 in every way
>e cost 1/3rd the price of the r34

Wasn't raced and media-memed hard enough. R32 has racing prestige, R34 has that and pop culture mythologization.

Under appreciated middle child tbhfam

And that keeps the idiots away from them, leaving best skyline gtr for non memers

the R32 looks less fat an agressive than the other two

Exactly. the GTR34 has been memed into Porsche 911 GT3 prices..... and im afraid that the same is happening to stock MKIV Supras.

Can't wait until 2018 to be able to get one here in the states.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans is racing hard enough for me

>wrong image

>Heavier
>Less agile (longer wheelbase)
>Same motor
Yea sure. Superior in every way.

Pigfat

>heavier because it has superior parts
>better handling
>motor that doesn't lunch itself anywhere near as often
>almost half a minute faster at the ring
Yep superior

Youre probably one of those tards who think an na mx5 is better than the nb because muh weight even tho it's a literal pos in comparison

This. Even the 300Z (though a more deliberately sporty vehicle than the R33) was more widely employed in the racing world than the R33. Which also invites a sad question; why did Nissan stop producing cheap RWD sports sedans?

Superior? Yes. Superior in every way? No. Learn to read sperglord.

Because they were having financial trouble, and that usually means the fun models have to go.

Then they got bought out by Renault.

You took your time.

>Renault used to sell rear engined cars

Why did everything go to shit

They do, once more.

There's also that new mid-engined Alpine.

Seems mods are on high alert

>Report submitted! This window will close in 3 seconds...

also

>assmad gm fangirl detected

Saw one at autos and gasoline this morning

>its a bannable offence to announce a report
Kek
Enjoy your ban!

because dumb car "enthusiasts" only care about hype beast machines

It's ugly. That's my only reason.
Mainly the rear end of it. "The view of it everyone else will be looking at, hurr hurr"

>Mainly the rear end of it
Looks like a Skyline to me, m8.

A fucking hideous, boring, Camry-tier Skyline

Reported for announcing report of an announced report

>tfw you'll never own a 400r

>tfw
Goddamn I fucking love that car.

I didnt report tho

oh my god, nobody gives a shit lol

R32 was classified as a normal car in Japan and it's pretty big already. R33 was even bigger, so it was classfied as a "huge car" so nips had to pay extra taxes. Of course the size also makes it poorly suited for mountain racing.
Also R33 (non-GTR) is really popular where I live. Some people swap the GTR engine into RWD version to make drift cars. GTRs though - they're all either R32 or R34.

R33 is perfectly legal to import before 25 years old. Motorex didn't fuck it up like they did for the r32 and r34.

Because it's not featured in popular media as much as the R32 or R34. Also, the R32 was considered the first world-class Skyline GT-R and the R34 as the last which leaves the R33 sort of a victim to middle child syndrome (even though the R33 gets more recognition than any of the pre-R32 Skyline). Furthermore, before the R32 became legal to import in the US, it was possible to get a gray market R33.

>superior to 32

u blind nigger?

FROG EATING RENAULT FAGGOTS RUINED BASED 90s NISSAN WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

>Assmad GM fanboy detected

I really loved my 94 Cutlass Supreme, it was the most plain car and was so reserved while somehow being fun. My 07 Impala in the other hand is beige, not only in color but personality; even though it's quicker than my Cutlass I've never driven a more heartless vehicle.

>cant read the fine print

This. There was only the 24 hours of Le Mans and JGTC. Otherwise the R33 was not widely raced because in the GT1 category it was wildly outclassed. A NISMO 400R took on the Pikes Peak hill climb when it was still a dirt course and took first place too.

First year is 1995 for the R33 GT-R. 2018 is for the other variants of the R33.

The back of the R33 looks a lot better than the R34, I don't get it. It looks better proportioned.

Nissan was already ruined. They got bought out by Renault because it was either get acquired or go bankrupt. Carlos Ghosn made the right call to circle the wagons and basically rebuild the company starting from the basic platforms.

TOP LAFF DID WE JUST INVENT A NEW MEME?? SIMEBODY SCREENCAP THIS FOR HISTORY

nice, can't belive the GM cuck is this triggered

I own an Ecoboost tho

Ayy, I was literally fucking around with that yesterday in GT4, great game, probably one of the best racing simcades ever.

>Heavier because of better parts

Let me introduce you to a concept you're probably not aware of, ever heard of CARBON FIBER nigger?

I actually prefer the 33s aesthetic.
Fite me.

Because it isn't the light, nimble R32 (which can be imported easily, the R33 cannot iirc), and at the Same Time, it isn't the final evolutionair of the twinturbo i6 AWD GT-R, also, Paul Walker. It also subjectively looks worse than both.

>actually got dissed off by god foot because it wasn't as good as the 32

Oh my god who fucking cares about a shitty gook cartoon with a Mary Sue protagonist made 10 years ago

R33 can be imported under VCP-17 because JK Technologies did the crash testing for the 2 door coupe R33s. It's just expensive as shit to do so and no one is willing to pay that kind of money for one.

It's fine if people think it's ugly and not very good. I'm in the market for one and I hope that people keep believing what you think because it's going to depress the value of the R33.

The R33 was heavier and better. At the time there was no way Nissan would be able to justify carbon fiber. They added a bunch of new aluminum bodywork for the R33 but the frame itself remained steel which was most of the weight gain. Overall the weight distribution and overall performance was far superior to the R32 with less understeer at speed and better stability.

and yet all those carbonfibre supercars weigh more than a miata.
heavy is good. heavy is reliable.

The R33 gets my vote if I can count the 400R.

I still think the single homologation car they built for Le Mans is one of the coolest GT-Rs ever made.

That kinda makes it look okay

it makes sense in such light and small car
>longer, less stiff crumple zone
>better weight distributon
>less pipework
>"integrated" transmission
>less throttle lag because it's closer to cat and o2 sensor

current F1 certainly did help them

too bad that susension is supposedely fucked

Not denying that weight provides traction m8s. Just saying that heavier parts arent ALWAYS better due to the fact that carbon fiber is a viable material

The R33 was raced just as much as the R32 was, I don't know why you people keep saying that.

It only didn't compete in Group A (or whatever replaced it) internationally because it didn't comply with the regulations. Hell, the R34 was involved in less competition than the R33 was

I'm not saying that the increased weight was a good thing, but it was unavoidable because of the engineering and cost constraints.

It's also worth keeping in mind that Nissan was basically slowly going broke as the R33 was in development. Things were still ok in the early 90s but by the time development on the R34 was underway Nissan was well and truly out of money and in a deep clusterfuck. By the time the R34 GT-R went on sale they were literally months away from bankruptcy.

As a result there's very little different between the R33 and R34. There are improvements without a doubt, but nowhere near what would've been done if Nissan was a healthy company at the time.

It was raced but the R33 didn't perform as well. The AWD system was basically not permitted and in GT1 it was wildly outclassed by insane one-off prototypes from other manufacturers. It wasn't known for winning races because it really didn't. It did well in N1 Super Taikyu and the Pikes Peak HIll Climb. That's it. Everywhere else it was outgunned because the competitive cars of that era were basically F1 cars with a touring car shell.

And the R34 had next to no motorsport success outside of Japan because it was a remnant of Nissan in its darkest days. People just jerk off to it because it was the last RB26 GT-R and it was in Fast and the Furious.

brie.berkeley.edu/publications/WP162.pdf

A very interesting case study of Nissan that provides context to what was going on in the 90s. They were going through troubles as far back as 1993. By 1997 things had reached a critical state and Nissan was well and truly fucked by that point. It wasn't until 1999 that a company finally bought Nissan to save them from bankruptcy literally weeks from collapse.

They fucked themselves. They were competing with themselves, basically.

Skyline, Silvia, Z cars, all on sale at the same time in roughly the same category and price point

Management of Nissan was rather Leyland-esque in that respect. Carlos Ghosn was really just the sign for others that they could push forward with restructuring plans that were around as far back as the early 90s but were deeply unpopular within the company and in Japan in general.

What about the pleb-tier Skylines? How does the GTS25t compare to the earlier GTS-t and the later GT-T?

It's still a nice car. But It's either
>turbo, 250 hp, RWD, LSD
or
>no turbo, 190 hp, ADW, no LSD
So you won't get your ATTESA even with AWD.

Cuz God foot hates it

250hp RWD LSD is a perfect recipe, why would i want all the other complications

Nah you want more like 300 to 400 because power.

Anime is not real, not even in Japan.

Because yurocucks are retarted OP.

Yeah, but what about comparing just the turbo RWD models? R32 (GTS-t) vs. R33 (GTS25t) vs. R34 (GT-T)? Obvious difference being RB20DET for R32 vs. RB25DET for R33 and R34, but what about handling, etc.?

Weight distribution of the R32 is still utter shit. 60/40 confirmed by users testing on SAU.

The R33 and R34 will be better just by virtue of having closer to 55/45 weight distribution and less retarded aero.

I think in some respects though Nissan still needs to really fix their lineup. The Q50 and Q60 either need a manual or DCT for their 50-60k range-topping model, a bit more power, and a lot more in common with the R35 GT-R. The slow rise in price of the R35 has left a big hole in Nissan's lineup if you don't want a 370Z but can't pay 100k+ for an R35.

So whats the deal with Skylines? Can we drive them in the US now because they are X years old or are they still showcars only?

25 year old cars can be imported with zero emissions or safety testing against US standards as long as the car met emissions and safety standards in the country of origin when it was first produced. The EPA specifies that the car must be imported in original configuration. Generally speaking this just means no engine swaps.

The sole exception is California. You must do additional emissions testing. G&K Auto Conversions is the only lab in the state that is certified to do this and they charge 10k and 3 months to get a stock R32 GT-R with no issues emissions compliant.

We're now up to September 1991 Skylines that can be legally imported. For obvious reasons US demand has caused prices of these cars to go full retard. If you want one at reasonable prices you should be talking to importers now and searching for 1993 or 1994 R32 GT-Rs.

Dumping my R33 GT-R collection.

>HUR DUR HUR PIG FAT
>HUR DUR HUR MUH WEIGHT
It's an AWD turbo 6 cylinder GT car you nits, the damn thing isn't meant to be light nor is it heavier than the R35 which is the fastest, best handling GTR of all time.

More stable

>trying to pass off fictional events as fact.

More GT-R LM photos. The tires and wheels look tiny because the actual R33 GT1 car ran racing slicks nowhere near the stock 17 inch wheel size.

A truly stock R33 GT-R is probably impossible to find in Japan or anywhere else at this point.

Akihiro Itoh maintains the r33gt-r.com site and he's been posting content to Speedhunters recently, his stuff is illuminating for those that can't speak Japanese.

There are a bunch of mods to this particular R33 focused on modernization in addition to a stage 1.5 engine build. LED interior lighting, custom dash gauges, Getrag V160 6 speed transmission upgrade, and a whole laundry list of other things that are too long to list.

>R32's can be imported to the USA now
>The price of every R32 triples over night
>Now you need to be rich as fuck in Canada to own a 25 year old car
>tfw never had the opportunity to pick one up for 10k between 2009-2014

You can still get a cheap R32 GT-R if you buy the late model years. But the days of 10k R32 GT-Rs is done.

>susension is supposedely fucked

That always had a fix

>Hell, the R34 was involved in less competition than the R33 was
The R34 has the fast and furious status.

>R33 didn't perform as well
It dominated Group N JTCC and other Asian/Pacific races

>R34 has next to no motorsport success outside Japan
Everyone was booty blasted when then the 33 and 34 ran Nurburgring. Besides there weren't many international series the R34 could compete in at the time

You can still get them under 10k in nip land if you look hard enough

junkers?

Maybe if you search private sales long and hard to find someone that doesn't know what their car is worth. Auctions and dealers like Global Auto absolutely know what the going rate is.

I remember seeing my first skyline as a midnight purple pearl R33 with white rims. It was fucking glorious. Still my favorite skyline.

Lol yeah sure, and they're pieces of shit

Lol, I was so confused

Because of hype, r32 was godzilla and r34 was the last (and therefore best)

>Not racing with an OBD reader

Look at this scrub

That's what I get for not renaming the shit I download

I'm importing as many as I can from Japan before you Amerifats can ruin them.

>muh memes
have you even driven either?
I guess oil starve is a superior feature for extra power too

It's already too late, Canucks are already driving prices even higher now. Americans will just turn the trickle into a flood by sheer population. It's very likely though that Americans will buy the worst examples, this is very common with R32s as the vast majority of the R32s coming into the country are utter rustbuckets.

All RB26 GT-Rs suffer from oil starvation unless you go to a dry sump system. The early R32 was especially susceptible to oil pump gear failures though.

Can't they just stick to their big v8s. Can you even get quality fuel for jap cars in America

So the R32 GTS-t has 60/40 distribution even though the RB20 weighs 150 lbs less than the RB25 and has a lighter tranny?

Japanese octane is RON, US uses AKI or average of RON and MON. Japanese 98 is US 93 octane. Japanese 95 is US 91 or so.

The RB26 will run best on 93 but 91 octane isn't too bad. You might be down a little bit of power but nothing crazy. Don't run midgrade or regular gas.

sau.com.au/forums/topic/427705-r32-gts-weight-distribution/

It was the R32 sedan but it's not that far off from the 2 door coupe. The transmission is basically at the midway point so it doesn't really affect weight distribution.

The Series 3 R33 made Xenon HIDs standard for the Skyline GT-R. New replacements are on the order of 1500 to 2000 USD for both headlights.

That's with the RB25 though. Don't listen to the people in the thread; there is about a 150 lb difference between the two engines. Also, the gearbox isn't perfectly in the middle; due to the heavier one from the R33 I am more than sure that it would affect the front weight balance. In stock form, I estimate the R32 would have about 52/48. The GT-R is probably more front heavy.

Even with a 150 pound weight reduction in the engine it would be closer to 58/42. Maybe 55/45 at best.

This was the late 90s. Even the 996 Turbo had something like a 40/60 weight distribution. Even now the R35 is something like 53/47.