/hhg/ Hot Hatch General

Warm Hatch Edition

A thread to discuss about Econo-Pocket-Rockets. Regular hatches are welcome too.

>hatchback questions and answers
>post your pocket-rockets
>your adventures with it
>your problems with it
>what have you fixed recently?
>what upgrades do you plan in it?
>post anything hatchbacks

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take off on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

Last thread: (????)

If a Golf GTi is considered a hot hatch and has 217hp/220ps, is that the baseline for what can be considered a hot hatch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5QtLfAJxLqk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ST a CUTE

CUTE

>If a Golf GTi is considered a hot hatch and has 217hp/220ps, is that the baseline for what can be considered a hot hatch?
I mean for a C-segment hot hatch.

What the baseline for a B-segment hot hatch? The Fiat 500 Abarth is a hot hatch in that size, but a Chevy Sonic RS is considered a warm hatch.

It's like a big orange hamster.

>Whyundai Molester

>hiyun die velusturd

So, not a hot hatch, but a warm hatch?

I REALLY like the Ford Fiesta Ecoboost with the 1.0 liter 3 cylinder turbo.

If anything happens to my MazdaSpeed, I might get one, or the Fiesta ST.

I just got this thing on Monday.
Quite fun, but I'm still learning how to drive it. Also think my dad might steal it.

Is this hot enough of a hatch?

>Golf

youtube.com/watch?v=5QtLfAJxLqk

I wish I got your reference, but I don't

Hi friend

Is a 1.8 turbo hot enough?

And VW is hot enough. My old one was, especially when it caught fire.

Hey now

Hey guys

Delicious and hot af

anyone had any experience with a mountune FiST

Samefagging this hard

What can I do to make my hatch a little hotter?
2003 Protege 5
It's pretty fun to drive, but doesn't really have that much acceleration. I was thinking about trying to turbo it, because the engine is identical to the MSP engine and pretty similar to a Miata engine too. I think they can run about 10-12psi on stock internals.
What are some other things that I might want to? I'm already buying a short shifter and new bushings to tighten up the shifts.
I'm hesitant to change anything in the suspension or the exhaust because I don't want ricers to try to race me any more than they do, and fags in Hondas already try to when the car is bone stock.

headers intake exhaust lightweight flywheel.

Fiesta ST isn't available in my 3rd world country. Is the 1.0 ecoboost okay?

They are dependable transport, just don't expect speed.

Well equipped, fantastic cars.

Compared to the Mazda2, Fit, Yaris, and Swift?

Is the Ecoboost a meme?

We hunt eye de lobster

Its better than those. I think its around 130-150 hp

Can't say about them desu, I haven't driven them.

I know the 1.0 Fiesta is decent though.

Best thing to do is a test drive the ones you are interested in, and decide which one suits you best.

Great car, engine is pretty cool. It has more HP than comparable cars (mazda2, swift, cнevy Aveo, etc). If you're not used to a manual you'll need to git gud, because there's not a lot of low end torque so hill starts will be the only real problem.
They actually make good power for a 1L and you can increase boost if you're that kind of person.

No

Ecoboost makes good torque with a decent powerband, but needs a catch can. Not very overengineered, but if you're getting the 1L you don't want a dyno queen.

I have a manual 2015 GTI. I enjoy driving it. Because it has a turbo, sometimes the engine doesn't give me the power exactly when I want it, but I'm getting better at keeping the RPMs in the right zone when I'm in the mood.

Not a huge fan of the brake and throttle pedals... but, a year later, I'm finally getting better at heel-toe in it.

Only real problem so far is a fan vent switch thing behind the dash on the passenger side broke and makes a horrible clicking noise when I turn the A/C off. The noise stops after about 10 seconds, but I've got a warranty appointment with the dealer to get it fixed.

thoughts on the Volvo C30 T5-R? I saw one on the road the other day and the driver rolled down the window and told me he liked my fiesta ST

Great sound, good looks, comfy.
Not as practical as you might expect from a hatch, not as fast as you might expect from a turbo inline 5 and a huge turning circle for its size.

Doesn't feel sporty at all, doesn't give the right hotch hat feels. More of a comfy econobox with more power than usual. Compared to the GTI/FiST/etc it's a bit of a lolcantturn

I love these too but I have the ST already and can't justify two parties.

thing is the ST costs only a little more than the 1.0. Neat little engine though. It would be much less potent than a mazdaspeed though

I use some of their parts, what questions do you have?

Nice dude, looks real good. Congrats!

Looking at a Nissan Juke SL AWD (we get snow here). What does Veeky Forums think of those? The CVT can be a little weird sometimes,but the torque vectoring and computer controlled drive modes make up for the occasional hiccup, imo.

Sporty CUV, personally not a fan.

I think it's an SUV and not a hot hatch

Other than that, I think jukes are ugly but haven't driven one so I can't really give too much feedback

I'll share. It's an econobox, but with a bit more get up and go.

They're classified as Crossovers, but if you've seen one up close, they're nowhere near as big as anything else in that class. They're only tall.

I have, they are just as big as a Rav4 or similar small SUV.

Not true, the RAV4 is almost 2 feet longer than the juke.

It's basically a Renault Captur with a bodykit, which in turn is a lifted Clio.

why not just get a focus RS? have the mazdaspeed3 engine w/ AWD...

here;s to hoping the new toyota (ex scion im) corolla IM is going to get a beefier engine and better suspension... so much potential. The interior is nice enough, why not give it the XRS engine and 6spd manual and upgrade the suspension? I'd buy that.

>why not just spend $40k on a car instead of a $12k used car

yeah I can't imagine why

Just got one of those in the same colour, was gonna swap a '97 chev s10 v6 and 5 speed transmission, as well as a rear wheel drive conversion and maybe a turbo, any thoughts on this?

Good luck. If the floor pans between the AWD and FWD Protege are different you're gonna have to make room for the drive shaft and you'll probably have to cut a new transmission tunnel anyway, not to mention suspension subframes and mounting hardware for, well, everything.

FWD to RWD conversions are a big job, and usually not worth it over just buying an RWD car.

Which hatch can take a tight corner the fastest without losing control or flipping?

I have the Renault Clio warm hatch because I couldn't afford the insurance of the Clio hothatch, and wanted something bigger than the Twingo hothatch (which has a the same engine as mine but 3 extra horsepower)

It's nice and peppy and will out-manuver most cars on the road

In your case I'm not sure if moving from an older hothatch to a new warmhatch would be good

123 for the UK spec Zetec S

The 1.0L Ecoboost is rated at 121 peak bhp using 91+ octane premium gasoline; with regular it's probably at 105-110.

A good engine for the Fiesta, less so for the Focus; in Europe they want to put it in the Fusion, which I think is ridiculous.

BMW puts 3 cylinders in the base model 3 nowadays. Everything to hit that lowest emissions bracket for that sweet, sweet tax discount.

Doesn't matter now in the UK
From next year everything that isn't zero emissions is in the same tax band

The UK is just one market, though.

>"united" "kingdom"

Not a slam against the 1L Fiesta, or any tiny displacement hatch, but if a 123hp hatchback qualifies as a "warm hatch," what is a cold hatch? Seems like the bar should be set a bit higher to be considered warm.

I'd buy that too, I loved my matrix. I'd prefer it in awd too, but Toyota doesn't want me to have nice things.

toyota wants no one to have nice things since the late 90s.

The C2 VTS is a hot hatch?

VTS is like their version of GTI, so I'd say yes.

Even the C4?

I find it weird that got VTS badges when its platform-mate the 307 never got a GTI version.

Just the trim name changed.
The same drivetrain was available in the 307 as "Féline 180"

Yeah, exactly. They didn't find it sporty enough to be called the "307 GTi" but apparently it was enough for a C4 VTS.

Peugeot knows it's shit.
I always find peugeots more sporty focused, while citroens more comfy.

Citroën mastered comfy with hydropneumatic suspension.

Peugeot used to be the king of affordable funboxes once.

True.
Someday i will own an GTi-6 or a S16

Good luck. A friend of mine owned a 106 GTi, that thing was absolutely hilarious.
Then it died and he had to scrap it, but he bought a Clio RS 172 to replace it.

I'd say less than 120hp in a B-segment car is cold hatch. 160hp+ is hot hatch.

Aw I love that.

They need to put the 1.5 turbo from the current Malibu in this. Make that twist beam rear step out all over the place.

>chebby
don't get your hopes up

Cold hatch has the base engine and stock look
Wanna be hot hatch has "sporty styling' but the base engine
Warm hatch has the most powerful engine below the hot hatch
We know what hot hatch is

I think he's saying 120 hp isn't very warm. A civic gets more than that

A Civic is a bigger car though.

a civic has a better power/weight ratio as well.

What are some essential mods for a Mk4 GTI 1.8T?

A sledgehammer and a chequebook.

It's called don't get a VW.

Engine swap and a shell swap

harsh

mine is a hatchback too

if by hatchback you mean liftback

Hello friendo.

why do people put anime stickers on their cars?

Because I'm a weeb who lived in Japan for 3 years and I like to mix my hobbies.

Engine tune, downpipe, big ass turbo.

What's the fastest 0-60 hot hatch I can pick up for £10k or less? 2011 or newer.

Probably a MazdaSpeed3 or Focus ST, but I'm not as familiar with bongland's hatch market.

Would have to be a ST-1 for the Fiesta with a decent mileage - 6.9 seconds.

Mazdaspeeds are a bit too expensive here.

The Focus ST is quite a bit faster 0-60 than the Fiesta, but the Fiesta is probably better overall (especially at the end of the mod spectrum).

Can't afford the Focus and I'd prefer a smaller hatch anyway.

Just looking for little zippy hatch - £10k max but I don't mind saving some money!

But certainly will put the Fiesta on my list, thanks.

If you want a mad fun, small hatch, give the Swift Sport a look.

>8.7

Bit slow, but I'll consider it at £7kish.

You might be able to find a 2012 VW GTI for under 10k, it can do about 6.5 seconds to 60 from what I've heard.

Maybe a Volvo C30 T5R or something?