Shifter feel

How does Veeky Forums describe this? What's the difference between a good shifter and bad one?

One feels like squishing bread when you change gears. The other feels like it wants to be properly controlled because of the stiffness.

Where the shifter is tight, and the gears are easily found, but not notchy and doesn't fight you for the shift..

Something akin to using a well built bolt action rifle.

Couldn't say it any better than this. A real life example of a good shifter would be something like an NA Miata/Mazda B2200 (same tranny).
A bad example would be any BMW with more than 100k on it or a B5 A4. The shifters literally flop into place and feel vague as shit. It's like changing gears with a sponge.

the worst shifter i've ever felt was a used 13ish mustang shelby gtcs

>bad example would be any BMW
This. Suprisingly bad shifter feel for an >ultimate driving machine. A3 8L has a better shifting feeling.

You two clearly have never driven a truck with a manual

The bushings in my f150 are new but the fucker still feels like your in kindergarten trying to put triangle shape in the square hole.

sauce? that's pretty hot

It's not that it's difficult to shift, shifting doesn't give you nice feedback. What you described was a feeling in my previous Twingo. The tranny got fucked when a rock hit it.

No its not difficult, but it will fight you on occasion, and the throws are long.

Honestly I'm not complaining, I love my truck, and its shifting quirks, but my 540i's shifter, while worn at 130k+ miles, is night and day compared to the trucks.

A good one is one that feels stiff and well fitted, very concise and not loose. A bad one will be one that is loose, shaky, and doesn't give a completely doubtless indication that it's where you want it to be

Short throw
Smooth
Knob doesn't wobble when in gear

My Mk. 3 Jetta shifter is fucking horrible. Sometimes it moves into 4th gear instead of 2nd. It is just so loose.

all depends on whether you like having RSI in the wrist,elbow and shoulder.

Vauxhall/Opel gear shifts were very fluid right up till the Vectra
Ford on the other hand had gearshifts that required effort and this effort fucked up my left arm good and proper.

bear in mind i was taxi-ing these cars, i was changing gear constantly over a 12 hour period.
truckers moan about gear changes, but once on the motorway they can cruise all night without changing up ordown too often.
on city streets i was constantly going up and down the box.
i often think cabbies change gear more often than F1 drivers, and we do it night after night, notjust race days.

why in gods name didn't you get an auto?

>You two clearly have never driven a truck with a manual
Never said I have aside from mine.

i eventually did when i bought my taxi company but before that i was working nightshift on other guys taxis, i had no choice at that time.

Tfw my shifter has all of those problems.

this is it. be careful of the loose ones that have to have a real long and deep insertion, it means they've been around the block once or twice and they're thoroughly worn out

It's a guy, btw.

>mfw I have this stick

help me, i got my drivers license 2 months ago and havent touched a car since .. my question is can i downshift from 4th to 2nd gear when going uphill?

That sounds more like a synchro problem.

You can downshift from any gear to any gear you like, user

Protip: it's best to shift from 6th to 2nd when overtaking on the highway for maximum torks. Remember to apply a lot of throttle between the shift so you can engage the clutch more smoothly.

Honda has the best gearboxes from my experience.

I never really understood what people mean by "notchy"

Like does it feel like the shifter goes into a notch or what? Because all fucking shifters do that

To me good=gates that are easy to find and feel.

How the stick feels when you try and go into gear doesn't matter much; only how fast the trans will let you do it.

>how to make crystals: Veeky Forums editiom

no more plastic bushings

No it means the linkage or transmission is fighting you for the shift, not letting the shifter go in smoothly.

oh damn that setup looks heavy.

Why not just call it resistance then

I think a shifter has to be either butter-smooth or mechanical feeling to be good. The shifter in a Fiesta ST doesn't make me feel like I'm physically connected the transmission, but it's easy to move and is sucked into place when you move it. The FR-S needs some effort to move, but you can physically feel the transmission through your hands. Both are good, even though they feel quite different.

A shitty one is one that tends to get stuck a lot and feels vague.

It's all iron. With the shifter it's ~110lbs

Lewd

pervert

>cry about dsg being too easy
>demand manuals with easy to use and feel gears

I had to test drive a 2002 Toyota camry with 202k miles on it and the shirts were softer than a babies bottom. I kept feeling like the stick could easily plop itself out of gear because of how strange it felt.

The complaint isn't that they're too easy, its that they're too boring.

So, a shit gearbox that you never know what gear its in is less boring than a very good manual gearbox. It also takes more developed skill and knowledge to operate.

>Why are manufacturers building really good but therefore expensive gearboxes when cheap shit ones are much more driver orientated? Fucking plebs ruining the car industry.

my e90 with 130k miles feels fantastic. not sure what ur talking about

The shifter feel on mid 2000 k engine Hondas is great desu

The 5 speed BMWs have shit shifters. The six speeds feel fine

my bud's e30 feels great. that's my only other bmw i've driven

What the hell are you on about? I was saying that the Dsg's/Dct's were boring.

Its becuase the 5 speeds are old, get in a one with newer bushing and they don't that much worse than the 6's

I mean pretty much all of them are getrag boxes so the shifting isn't all that different if they're in good shape.

not all shifters really "notch" in. I drove a b2300 that you just put the stick into gear with no real feeling of it entering in. Super uncomfortable.

My friend's e30 shifter felt and looked like a flopping dildo with a long enough throw for a school bus

It's like a click that let's you know you'veselected the gear. Some cars don't have the same feeling and don't really click into gear, just sorta slides in

>girls giving a shifter a footjob

thanks for the new fetish OP

Why is it so hard to make acceptable shifters? Is it legitimately difficult to engineer, or do manufacturers simply not care?

> Good shifter
Easy to tell what you're doing, prompt action, returns to centre when released.

> Bad shifter
Too heavy and hard to move, or too light and feels like you're going to break it.
Mushy and vague.
Stays wherever it was left instead of snapping back on the spring, leaving you guessing.

I've experienced both too heavy and too light. I liked neither; too heavy kept popping the joint in my shoulder and kinking up my elbow. Too light made me feel like it was going to snap and leave me liable for thousands in repairs on the rental car. Coincidentally, both were Vauxhalls.

>mfw exhaust turns to nerve gas

>good
There is a notch right before you actually go into gear that requires a bit of force. Gears feel well defined.
>bad
Mushy like a bad trigger on a gun. Too difficult or too easy to move. Rattles when in gear.

Ever driven a van with a manual transmission? or anything that uses linkages to connect a gearbox to the shifter rather than being directly attached? those are really shitty feeling gearboxes

I see what you did there

ack ack

>Good shifter
Goes right into the fucking box, crisp and mechanicala action, RWD car
>shit shifter
Cable/linkage operated, sloppy action with "gear zones" instead of gears, FWD car

i can actually do this a little becasue my second gear doesn't near redline until 65mph, but i normally go 5->3

I have driven two manuals so far, and it was my MS3 and my twin's MS6

The MS3 mechanically clicked into each gear, and you could feel the point in which went into gear easily. It was stiff and short

The MS6 rowed gently into each gear, and there was no mechanical click of it getting into each one. But it was smooth, gentle, and long.

What type of shifter style do you guys prefer? I find the mechanical click, stiff gearbox with short throw the best feeling. But the MS6 was more daily drivable, you could shift with your pinky it so easy to push.

Honda makes 10/10 shifters

That girl has the shortest legs ever

The good one is nonexistent and called a dct

This. The shifter in my GF's old CL9 Accord Euro felt like a G27 controller.

... Is that good?

s2000 owner reporting in. ask me anything.

>girl

How's it holding up?

The other day my friend let me drive his MKV GTI. Holy shit it had the worst shifter I've ever experience.
Each gear crunched into place and half the time I couldn't even find the right spot to make it go into gear. 4th was hidden inside a hedge maze.

I think my 9th gen Si has an amazing shifter. Throws are short and stiff, every gear is easy to find.

Sounds like he had worn bushings and/or synchros. My '08 Jetta Wolfsburg has the 6-speed manual and every shift notches into place quite nicely.

Even when I test drove it for the first time I never really felt like I was hunting for gears. They're all quite close to each other but I could feel the entry into each gear pretty well so it wasn't (and still isn't) a big deal.

Most of the other manuals I've experienced were all piss worn shitboxes so I don't really have a good comparison for it. I think the worst I've ever experienced was a Subaru WRX but the bushings were completely worn away.