Best Car $25,000

hey Veeky Forums,

my dad is completely financing a new car for me but it has to be a new car with automatic transmission. He won't budge on this. What are the best cars available for an Veeky Forums enthusiast.

Checked out Mustangs today. The interior was a fucking nightmare. Lot's of cheap plastic parts and the radio had tons of useless buttons cluttering it, but you can't argue with 320 HP for the price.

Looked at Subaru BRZ and WRX, but listings in our area start at $30,000.

Found a Scion Fr-S automatic for $25,000 and Mustang $25,000, already. Look like my two best options.

Any other ideas? Should I look for cheap Hyundai Genesis Coupes? Should I just bite the bullet and buy the mustang? Ditch these two cheap sports cars completely and just get a civic or mazda m3?

inb4
>just convince him to buy used
>autotragic

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=esvfVAmrCnw
youtube.com/watch?v=yTjIeqX_3eM
youtube.com/watch?v=qnaulkNUpRU
youtube.com/watch?v=DV_VvW5km2k
youtube.com/watch?v=KT4vhl8slbE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> enthusiast
> automatic

does he fuck his wife or let someone else do that too?

I would haggle to get that 30k price tag down tbhqfam

i told him this already. but this is non-negotiable. he is not an auto enthusiast. basically he's giving me a free $25,000 car with those two conditions above.

Get a Honda Accord and buy a car that's more expensive and performance oriented later when you have the money to make your own choices. You want a practical car to support you right now.

how would you go about doing this. lowest for BRZ is 29,000 just looking 5 min ago.

I really want the WRX though. $25,000 is way under MSRP for the automatic.

is that because he wants to be able to drive it? (and is a cuck who can't drive a manual)

seriously thinking about this.

personally i'm looking at getting a new jetta sel

costco auto program knocks off about 2 grand from the get-go, and you can negotiate more

>inb4 VAG comments

No it's because i live in a dense urban area in southern california and stick shift is a bitch with traffic.

I have Sam's Club Auto, thinking I could get a similar deal. Now what remains to be seen is if I could get the WRX down that low.

no it isn't, i drive in traffic everyday and it's still worth it.

traffic is shit with an auto or manual and i don't even notice that i have to shift in traffic occasionally

What I would do is look at a Volkswagen Golf GTI, a Volkswagen Jetta GLI, or a used 2016 Acura ILX.

Those would be my choices and I'd try to go for the lightly used Acura. If going after the Acura, avoid 2012-2015 models. 2016 models got a major refresh.

They're not normal automatics. All 3 of those cars use DCT Dual Clutch Automatic Transmissions. Basically, 2 manual transmissions slammed together and automated. The means lightning quick shifts, and manual-tier reliability. The Acura one is better than the VW one, not just because it has 2 more gears (Acuras is an 8 speed to VW's 6 speed), but because the Acura DCT also uses a torque converter, which smooths out all the juddering common with DCT's at low speeds.
youtube.com/watch?v=esvfVAmrCnw
youtube.com/watch?v=yTjIeqX_3eM
youtube.com/watch?v=qnaulkNUpRU

>bitch in traffic
>Muh extra pedal
>So much effort
Sounds like someone hasn't driven a manual before

It's the mature choice OP, the initial thrill of getting a Mustang will fade when you realize it's drawbacks of storage space and ability to comfortably carry passengers when compared to a gas saving economical sedan. Also you'll soon realize that getting the base model Mustang isn't enough to satisfy a real enthusiast craving in the long run and you'll end up replacing it later anyways. Your first car should be practical for daily use.

It's good practice.

Hell I drive around Amsterdam all the fucking time in a manual, traffic here gets stupid, cyclists everywhere, congestion out the ass.
I drive a manual and it's fine, tell your dad to stop being a fucking cuck.

i agree with you but my dad doesn't, so who are you debating with?

he drove a stick for 30+ years and says it's shit. Veeky Forums autists won't change his mind.

tb.h it's kind of dumb but i wouldn't even accept a 25k if it had to be an automatic

UNLESS

i could trade/sell it after, which is unlikely, or had no other car

Just go in with your dad and tell those faggots salesmen that 25k is the absolute maximum you will spend.

Stay away from turbocharged Subaru motors though, they are shit.

theres no point in arguing everyone here is a boyracer who thinks driving stick makes their dick bigger
>gets out driven by an auto with paddles

I'll check it out, thanks.

yeah, the storage space and passenger space don't phase me, but the base trim is a bit dumpy imho. probably not worth my old man's money.

some grade A goofballs.

no problem If I was stuck to those constraints, that's what I'd do. DCTs are the only automatics that don't piss me off in some way. I wouldn't bitch about automatics at all if everyone started switching to DCTs instead of converting to CVTs are they are.

Seconding this, if user's dad is bankrolling them for a new car, might as well get anything that's decent/comfortable til you can get a nice, fun car. Autos aren't fun IMO. I'm in southern California too and am in a very similar situation but manual really isn't that bad down here unless you have a commute at rush hour in LA county (but is still manageable).

That being said, if he really is willing to throw down that much money, why not put in a few grand of your own to get that WRX? It's a fast, fun car that's somewhat practical still, and the non-STI is reasonable for daily driving from what I've read.

I'm also trying to decide between the BRZ/WRX, but I'm still having a hard time deciding between the two despite the WRX being "better" numbers-wise.

Not to mention it might be more worth it to save up more money and spend it during one of the holiday sales coming up...

well, if it helps you, the WRX has a noticeably nicer interior, the back seats are actually usable, and it is much easier to get into. honestly, i'm 5'10" and it was a bit cramped for me in the BRZ.

BRZ is damn nice looking from the outside though.

I think I could talk my old man into this deal on the WRX. Should I go through with it?

my dick size didn't change when i learned to drive a manual though??

oh fuck i accidentally clicked the manual model. Scratch that.

> dct
> manual-tier reliability.

lol you wish

This, DCTs are the only acceptable autos.

Buy a Hilux, or a Camry

youtube.com/watch?v=DV_VvW5km2k
20k in germany, probably 10k in the usa

What the actual fuck. My dad gave me 2000 euros to go and find myself a car. What kind of people are you americans

They're about 20k in America too where it's known as the Hyundai Elantra GT. However, in America, there is no turbo. In America, the only engine is a N/A 2.0L making 173 HP and 154 lb-ft.
Not exactly hot and in no way a performance car in America. The closest thing we have to that that could be considered a performance model is it's sister car, the Kia Forte5 SX Turbo, which comes with a 200 HP 1.6L Turbo.

It's an American thing. Boomers have all the money and young people can't find a decent paying job. A single young person has to work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet because minimum wage, even if working full time, will not keep you from poverty. That said, minimum wages vary state to state, but nationwide, it's a minimum of $8 per hour.

The federal minimum wage has been $7.25 for over 7 years.

get an s2000
rwd
n/a
manual
light

slap a supercharger and a get it flashed and you'll be set all nice and satan, friend

>I can't read
fuck off retard

>automatic transmission
We both know that you cant drive stick user its okay.

This.
Don't go blaming others for your incompetence you cleft.

Try working Uber or Lyft. Even though they're, working ridesharing has it's stresses but it pays above minimum wage and anyone can do it. After gas and tax I average about $14 per hour in a Honda CR-V and it's a lot more fun IMO than working retail or food service.

New Ford Taurus SHO auto would be fun. Get it in black and you can do the expensive black taxi thing for Uber. No idea the price on it though.

Alternatively my friend loved his Nissan Maxima.

OP's looking new. Neither of those can be bought for 25k new.

I personally wouldn't take his "free 25k" because there are already conditions on it, and there are sure to be more in the future:

>You got a ticket, I paid for that car, hand over the keys
>I paid for that car, you can't go out past 12
>I paid for that car, you can't modify it.

Save your pennys and get something that is all yours.

My friends mother did this all the time. She had his automotive freedom by the balls, and twisted whenever she liked. His younger brother saw this and turned down the same offer, and bought himself a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS coupe 5MT.

>it's not a sedan!
>it's a manual!
>it's a sports car!
>why did you buy this?!

I'll never forget the smug look on his face as he basically gave his mother a verbal middle finger: "Because I bought it with my money, and it's all mine!"

Good on him.

>My dad gave me 2000 euros to go and find myself a 3cyl diesel shitbox
Ftfy

Why do you think zero skill jobs should be worth a living wage? If you want to support yourself, get a skill.

This.

I have no sympathy for minimum wage workers. If you didn't have minimum skills you wouldn't receiving matching wages.

Besides, a lot of jobs that pay minimum wage weren't meant to pay for a family of four in a single family home with 2 cars in the driveway:

McDonald's was made for highschool students so they could have a little spending money with friends.

Clerical and receptionist work is the same, but you're getting office experience at the same time.

Manual labor jobs can net you some good money, but it's physically impossible to be a long-term career. Your body will give out, and that's your livelihood.

>a lot of jobs that pay minimum wage weren't meant to pay for a family of four in a single family home with 2 cars in the driveway:
not what I'm saying. Get over yourself and stop putting words in others mouths.

Minimum wage should pay enough for a SINGLE person to live in a small apartment, cover transportation to work, and minimum living expenses. But it doesn't. It's not too much to ask, and if you can manage money well, you can do very well for yourself.

buy your own car and tell him to fuck off.

i have a zero skill job thats easy as fuck and pays twice the minimum wage, with overtime whenever i want it. i make more than most people i know and the only people who make more than me are fully qualified precisoin engineers

I'll put my dick in your mouth if you don't watch yourself.

A minimum wage job pays around 8 an hour. 9*40 = 320/week, 1,320 a month, minus taxes, probably $1,100 after taxes.

That's enough for rent in a shitty studio apartment, groceries, bus fare/bicycle, a go-phone, and maybe enough to afford some cheap cable/internet.

There yah go. Enjoy your life as you scrape the bottom of the barrel. Stop bitching.

>"But rent is expensive where I live!"

Sounds like you don't deserve to live in such a nice area, bottom dweller.

Oops, meant to say $8-10 am hour, then I averaged it for maths

this guy

Third this. Get something reliable, and if you keep it "clean", you'll have an automobile that'll last for years that you can keep as a DD.

Then have your hoonmobile on the side. Win/Win.

Mustang, manual swap it behind his back.

Hell, auto is still good for straight lines and streetlight fun.

>Sounds like you don't deserve to live in such a nice area, bottom dweller.

Nice argument.

>Minimum wage should pay enough for a SINGLE person to live in a small apartment, cover transportation to work, and minimum living expenses.
>normative arguments
Minimum wage IS not supposed to be a "living wage"

the used frs can be had for under 20k

you are a baiting lieing pos

Up until the 70's, minimum wage was a living wage, then inflation happened and minimum wage remained stagnant. The point of minimum wage is to increase the standard of living of workers, REDUCE poverty, reduce inequality, boost morale, and force businesses to be more efficient. And it did this when insitituted in the 1930s, and remained a livable wage for decades.

Honda civic EK Boost HS1

>A single young person has to work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet because minimum wage, even if working full time, will not keep you from poverty.

Maybe it's because young people are getting a job that pays relative to their skill level, education, and how much money they benefit a business... Or maybe it's because California's ridiculous burdens on businesses are driving people from the state into other states that are more business friendly. Or perhaps it's because millions of low skill, low wage immigrants have been imported into your area to work all the jobs that would be traditionally done by teenagers.

Quit repeating all this "baby boomers are hoarding all the money in Scrooge McDuck pits, just to keep it away from the young.

>completely avoiding the math and actual argument above it

Nice ignorance. He's right and you know it.

You get out what you put in, North America isn't some sort of perfect communist region. Sometimes you just can't do better, not smart enough/fit enough/whatever. Sucks, but deal with it. You're at the bottom, you don't get mid to high level treatment.

Find a roommate, lower your living expenses, go to school, network, keep looking for jobs, etc. People working minimum wage for more than 5 years obviously have zero drive to succeed, so why should they?

having worked with the young people I'll take the immigrates any day. I remember back when I was a manager at a food joint. The people that were ALWAYS there and working were the immigrants. The young adults either had no desire to work or wanted to come in high as fuck and sit around talking about how cool they are.

>You get out what you put in,

Not really. Trade agreements, migration, technological advancements, etc. have all made significant changes to the North American economy and yet the national minimum wage has failed to increase accordingly.

>People working minimum wage for more than 5 years obviously have zero drive to succeed, so why should they?

Right. Let's continue to pay underemployed workers shit. It's not like them to realize selling weed to adolescents puts more food on the table than bagging your kale and gouda down at the grocery....

As much as I dislike the immigrants, the point is that they drive down real wages, and then retards like this cuck want to increase the minimum wage, and not actually solve the damn issue.

>and yet the national minimum wage has failed to increase accordingly.

What has the standard of living done over the same time period? How many "poor" families have central air? Smart Phones? Microwaves? A Car?

If I want to work for $5 an hour to get my foot in the door and perhaps get on the job training, why should the federal government prohibit me from the voluntary interaction.

Artificially setting a wage simply adds a barrier to entry, and in the case of extremely low skilled workers, prices them out of the market.

>but it has to be a new car with automatic transmission
tell your dad you rather walk

>Right. Let's continue to pay underemployed workers shit. It's not like them to realize selling weed to adolescents puts more food on the table than bagging your kale and gouda down at the grocery....

Your average.. "underemployed"? What the fuck does that even mean? Your average burn-out* can't even sell weed, which takes some serious social, economic, and general life skills to do well. The person working full-time at McDonalds for 14 years, getting passed up for manager every 6 months, does not deserve anybody else's support. They're lucky McDonald's is around to fund them. We've already proven itt that you can live comfortably, if not lavishly, off minimum wage, what more do you want for your lack of contribution to society?

So many assistance programs exist for people that actually put in the effort, if you're stuck in a rut somewhere you've got nothing to blame but your lack of motivation.

So, Op, get the FRS. Will likely have better resale value since boiracers will pay more than daddy's little girl will for the V6 Mustang. They're both compromises as cars, might as well get one that makes fewer of them.

>The point of minimum wage is to increase the standard of living of workers, REDUCE poverty, reduce inequality, boost morale, and force businesses to be more efficient.
Then why are 60% of min wage workers not even out of college? Face it, they are low paying jobs for low skill young workers to just make a bit of cash. More efficient? Explain how minimum wage makes anything more efficient.
And it did this when insitituted in the 1930s, and remained a livable wage for decades.
Does this look like the 1930s to you? What an awful argument, rethink your life.

>Muh manual meme
LOL

Does it have to be brand-new? You can usually get a 2015 BRZ from a Subaru dealership for $23,000-$25,000.

Found the lazy millennial.

>Should I just bite the bullet and buy the Mustang?
You mean your daddy buy it you highschooler

I'd go with the BRZ/FR-S/GT86 if I were you

at least the automatic ones come with paddle shifters for manual mode and that's a huge step above most automatics

>paddle shifters
Feels so fake it's not even funny

>We've already proven itt that you can live comfortably, if not lavishly, off minimum wage,

Not even Donald Trump is parroting this shit now. Just stop.

>If I want to work for $5 an hour to get my foot in the door
Nobody's stopping your strawman. Plenty of "interns" are doing exactly this, or worse.

Why not just get something with a DCT to satisfy the automatic requirement but still be able to have a bit of fun?

Brz or frs with paddle shifters i guess. If youre a smaller guy get a miata

>$8/hr, 40hrs a week, about $1280/month, so say $1100 after tax
>ignores tax breaks and other benefits you can apply for when you're a useless sore on society, but anyways
>rent at 600/month, food 200/month, bus 100/month, 300/month left over for whatever

I don't see how this isn't livable, and those numbers are being generous to your point.

I don't live in the 'states, I live in Canada, where those numbers are even MORE in favor of being completely livable.

in your position I would just get a v6 camry

comfy DD with enough power for traffic

This will free you up to get whatever project car you want down the road.

The only thing increasing minimum wage does is shrink the labor pool and concentrate the wages towards who is still in the pool.

>about $1280/month, so say $1100 after tax
I'm dying of laughter.

>car insurance/repairs
>medical bills (heaven forbid you need an EpiPen)
>heaven forbid you have a child
>heaven forbid you have student loans to start paying back immediately
>etc.

How old are you where rent, food and transportation are the only bills you think exist?

Increasing the minimum wage mainly would allow the government to rely less on assistance programs. Ask yourself this: Why is the majority of Walmart's entire workforce on SNAP?

>but it has to be a new car with automatic transmission. He won't budge on this

Oh my god tell him to either eat a dick or learn how to drive one holy shit.

DON'T DO IT user! Yeah they perform well but once the electrical problems start your fucked.

>heaven forbid you have a child

Why would you have a child while working at an $8/hr job?

Because you can't afford birth control and you can't afford an abortion or even find a place to do one.

Nigga I dd a 5 spd in los angeles. it's not even an issue

Maybe you should strive to make more than 8$ an hour then, huh?

youtube.com/watch?v=KT4vhl8slbE

Why? According to you, $8/h should be plenty to live on.

A car is not a right, it is a privilege. Why do you think you are entitled to be able to afford one on minimum wage? Take the bus or move somewhere where you can take the bus you useless dreg

>tfw barely getting by at $34/hr living with roommates

fuck housing prices man

>eyeglasses are not a right, they are a privilege. Why do you think you are entitled to see on minimum wage?

>probably $1,100 after taxes
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand income tax.

>$8/hr

I thought the current national minimum wage is $7.25? Even increasing it to the hypothetical $8 being suggested in this thread would take lots of political will that just doesn't exist.

you could just swap the transmission of a car you get
and you could get a 90s or 00s Impreza instead

Incorrect analogy.

>eyeglasses are cheaper and work just fine
>but I need expensive prescription contacts because of reasons, therefore other people need to prop up my wages.

I am sorry for your loss. Manuals are far more fun and the benefits more than make up for being less optimal in dense traffic. It's definitely not a bitch in traffic if you don't suck ass at it. Whoever told you that either isn't good with a stick or hasn't driven one.

get a certified used car with better features that's only a year or two old

I need contacts because it makes it easier to do my manufacturing job for 9hrs a day so you fucks can have washing machines and dryers.

Nobody needs to prop up my wages, I just need little kids who don't understand economics to stop ruining Veeky Forums threads.