Fugg dudes

fugg dudes

my new insurance company sent me these "snapshot" things that monitor my driving

they REQUIRE that I use them. No hektik skids for UP TO SIX MONTHS.

hold me Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell#p15461808
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15404045
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone know how to cheat these things?

What the fuck

Switch plans, that's a fucking retarded policy.

It's an absolutely insane price discount though. I'be got 2 bad choices :/

>Had progressive snapshop shortly after it came out
>Promises of great discounts
>No driving between 11pm-6am
>Monitored acceleration/braking
>Who knows what all it monitored
>After two months I see a $12 decrease
>Not real impressed but whatever
>One day driving along coming back from a concert
>11:30pm or so
>Drunk driver in front of me just piles on the brakes at 55mph
>So do I, nearly a dead stop
>Guy gets out and starts puking
>Drive around

Received a letter stating I drove during potentially dangerous hours and exhibited dangerous driving or something like that.
>$18 dollar increase

It's a scam OP.

It wasn't worth the trouble.

what is it? can you send a pic??

there's nothing to stop you from removing it? My friend has one of these and he keeps it removed, only plugs it in once a week, otherwise he get's emails that it's disconnected and his rate will increase. plug it in on sundays only, take a slow cruise, then unplug it and leave it in the dash.

It's not worth it for the discount. They will be able to build a profile on you about your driving habits and most likely other insurance companies will have access to it. So your rates will be determined for the profile that they have on you.

screw that. drop your insurance, thats just an excuse for them to spy on you and take more money. or get an old car with no obd2 port

That's probably a best-case scenario discount. They'll bump your rates right up after the first month.

>letting an insurance company monitor your driving habits by putting something on your car

You might as well just let them have sex with your wife too.

Odd. I'm with Cooperators, and it's right in the contract that they cannot use that information to up your rates, nor will they submit it to authorities unless court ordered (since it tracks speed, and where the speed was recorded). There's up to 25percent you can get discounted, so far I have perfect ratings for night/distance driving, and OK ratings for braking and acceleration (maybe 10-12 "events" per month) and I've been getting the full 25percent for a year and a half now. 25percent is about 350 bucks a year, so a little under 30/month discount I guess?

Sounds like your provider is just a jew.

Not saying all companies won't eventually become like that, but.. Given my situation, yours is hard to believe. I'd get to shopping if they're that strict, but it feels like other things are happening.

Also they can't renegotiate in the middle of a term, can they? Don't they have to wait for renewal? Mine does..

It shouldn't be too hard just to yank the fucker out and sit it on your desk right?

r-right?

>my new insurance company sent me these "snapshot" things that monitor my driving

It plugs into the OBD2 socket so it has access to all the data which is quite a lot. It cannot be faked since it also reads the VIN number of the car and also has GPS in it. The unit phones home at least daily using cellular. You see some discussions about drivers being monitored by phone-home devices in the following two threads:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell#p15461808

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15404045

Progressive considers the most important thing to be panic braking. That shows you are not paying attention to the road AND you also get into situations of near collision. Other users have tried the program and basically 100% say it jews you and do not recommend it.

The one person who actually completed the program and got a discount only received $1 discount. Progressive used technicalities to remove all the real discounts while still awarding the user a big percentage discount in order to look good for future promotions. It was basically "Congratulations you have a 12% discount for participating" so now progressive can use that fact without being called a liar. And also that person received "Due to rate adjustments, you have a 11.9% rate increase" which ended up with the person getting a $1 discount. SO no lie. Progressive gave 12% discount AND the user had a net rate discount. All true but not really true. For everyone else, their rates went up. Big Brother is only working for those trying to jew you.

A quick google showed a leddit post where somebody figured out how to cheat it. I know it's reddit, but this is actually useful in this case, and I didn't see it anywhere else.

reddit.com/r/hacking/comments/2bjo0k/hacking_the_progressive_snapshot_obdii_device_for/

What said about the technicalities seems to be right, as I've seen that mentioned a couple times.

>They will be able to build a profile on you about your driving habits and most likely other insurance companies will have access to it. So your rates will be determined for the profile that they have on you
that is literally the whole point

what i did and what i found works best is to go to an insurance agent in person and have them set your shit up for you

as an auto enthusiest you should be looking forward to the oppertunity to do car related shit

>No driving between 11pm-6am
>When the roads are emptiest and safest

Theoretically you can mess with the accelerometer in them.Pretty sure they have some safeguards against hacks tho.

Yes. Google it.

Put it in your mom's car

>Nothing but drunks criminals and cops and night workers

Unsolder the accelerometer from the device then install it on the car, done.

You're ruining it for everyone, faggot.

If you take the money, all insurance companies will demand this and there will be no escape.
Step up and be a fucking man and tell them to eat a bag of dicks.

we have things like that in the UK but they stay in your car throughout the length of the insurance
They're usually pretty good and don't give a shit if it's a once in a blue moon thing like the very occasional late night drive and hard braking

I used one when I was learning to drive and for my first year of driving on my mum's car because it was almost £300 cheaper than the cheapest one that didn't come with a tracker

When I got my car it was MORE expensive to get a tracker, so I didn't bother

my employer has these things on their cars and always give you bad boy points for braking too hard, but it makes no sense because you don't brake hard just because you feel like it, you do it because some dumb retard makes you 99% of cases, unless you're the kind of aggressive driver that is always on the gas in low visibility areas

Fucker, turn 360 degrees and walk away from them. They rely on you for money, show them how much they fucked up with your wallet.

Wait, are you on Progressive?
If so, FUCKING LEAVE
Those little shits fry your electrics, if you give half a shit about your car, cancel the plan.

@15768563
< Turn 360 degrees and walk away
Are you fucking retarded? Holy shit

What happens when you track with one of these on

The insurance company only uses these sensors or Onstar as a legal excuse to bump up your rates. If they simply raise your rates without a reason, the state insurance commissioner will fine them and might even request the state courts to order a max insurance rate.

The reason why states have insurance commissioners is to prevent insurance companies from colluding with each other to do price fixing. If they did so, all the companies could raise their rates together. Thus no consumer could escape the artificially high insurance rates. Instead, companies use various tactics to circumvent the insurance commissioner to raise rates.

Right now, various companies will accept Onstar data as it is more thorough than Progressive's tracking sensor. Onstar even records when you make turns without using the turn signal or if you weave in your lane. My Onstar car knows if I am driving on the pavement line markers and can even nudge my steering wheel to keep me driving more centered in the lane. The problem I have is that it is always phoning home if I weave or not. I can see the insurance company would like to know if my GPS showed I was near a bar at 10PM and am now driving home while WEAVING in the lane. That is not proof of drunk driving, but pretty close to it.

Right now, privacy laws prevent Onstar from releasing my name along with the driving data. But Onstar has passed driving data to various companies and then given me names of 5 different insurance companies with lower insurance rates than the one I have now. How does Onstar even know my company and rate? Well, when buying the new car, I had to show proof of insurance. Boom, right there they have it.

Keep your eyes out for privacy law changes and fight them. If congress gives in to insurance lobbyists, your own car will inform insurance companies of your driving habits and where you go. It was a bit scary seeing those other unsolicited insurance offers appear thru Onstar.

>If you take the money, all insurance companies will demand this and there will be no escape.

Most cars already have "phone home" systems built into them. GM's Onstar is only the most famous one, but other car brands already have their own subscription services. So the ability for insurance companies to get the data from you already exists. All that stops them from continually using the car's insurance policy (with primary driver's name) and the car's reported VIN is the privacy law that prevents AUTOMATED name attachment. You can still go online and surrender your privacy by accepting the offer from companies though.

Naturally, they don't word it as surrendering privacy. They also don't offer any forms that allow you to rescind, so once you give it up, you cannot have it back unless with a lawsuit to force them to make a rescind form available.

Onstar recently offered to its new car buyers a discount insurance program from Progressive. The insurance company would use the data recorded by Onstar to calculate lower insurance rates for the customer. Onstar had a signup webpage which had the user sign away their privacy restriction to keep Onstar from handing out the car owner's name attached to the driving records. There is no form for revoking permissions for future disclosures. But once your basic data is out there, it remains out there.

>insurance companies telling you when you can drive
l o l nigga I work alternating day and swing shifts, good luck getting me to go for that one.

Kek
Definitely copying this post at some point

Can't you just unplug them from the trunk? There's usually a fat blob module on the left side of the trunk that you can just take out.

And lose your discount

It plugs into you obd plug correct? So its just like a dashhawk or cobb ap. Its just logging all your pids. Unplug it when you want to hoon, plug it in when you drive like a granny. It should be no problem.

My car doesn't speak OBD. I'm safe from this shit, right? Or is it a legitimate concern that insurance companies could refuse to cover any 06+ vehicle without one of these things?

Onstar uses cellular so all you'd do is reduce the range. The unit is integrated with the car computer under the dash. You cannot really disable it unless you do surgery on my car computer's board. Doing that will trigger the dealer examination of the computer of course if you ever use the dealer for warranty work. If he sees the computer is hacked, all warranties are cancelled. The contract with the new car also stipulates I don't do certain things to the car in order to keep my new car warranties active.

Oh, my cars like 10+ years old. I don't think they give a fuck about me ripping the Onstar shit out. It probably doesn't work anyways if it's analog, it's got a red light 24/7 on.

>required

well, I'm glad my car has no bullshit electronics

>$18 dollar increase

Yep, no. Progressive doesn't issue rate increases based on data from Snapshot. Even if they did, it wouldn't be because of one incident.

>when you're actually glad to have OBDI

>OBD-II started with '96 models.
>Drive a '95

I do.

You can't put it on a different car?

>You can't put it on a different car?
The OBD2 has all the data on the car. It also puts the VIN on there. SO of course the progressive or other insurance company monitors will know what VIN they are attached to.

>insurance is legally allowed to spy you
>land of the """""""free""""""

This. Why can't you do this?

>mfw my car is 27 years old, and the computer in it can't give out such readings.

When I signed up for insurance as a 21 year old college student, they asked me a bunch of questions on the phone such as

"Is your shit stock?"
>yes

$69 a month, niggas

>braking and not hitting an object is dangerous driving

jesus

Not yet. It is close, but not yet. The car manufacturers that run the wireless services such as Onstar are still prohibited by privacy law of attaching your name to the data.

Currently, Onstar is legally able to share the driving data (without your name) to insurance companies. It did so in my case and five insurance companies offered lower rates than my current company gives me. Since those five companies don't have my name, they had to give the offer to Onstar which then passed the offers to me.

It doesn't take much brains to realize that since most new cars have the ability to wirelessly send data back built-into the cars already, all the insurance companies need to do is lobby Congress to make a privacy rules exemption to allow the name or VIN to be provided with the driving data. The usual cookie-cutter generic lobbying reasons of better insurance rates thru accuracy, for the children, or provides more jobs can be used. Plus some bribes under the table such as sinecure high wage jobs for the politician's family members and up to X number of friends picked by that politician can be arranged. Or donations can be made to that politician's own version of "The Clinton Foundation" which is a technically legal way to provide bribes.

It is up to the public to resist Congress removing the privacy of VIN or driver names from the driving data the cars send back. GM has already admitted that even those who don't subscribe to Onstar do have data sent back.

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell

>absurd speed limits where I live
>uninhabited stretches of road through the mountains
>speed limit is 35MPH at best
>I usually take the turns doing at 60 and car still feels completely settled
>I got bored and took my truck out there and started getting hektik on turns and still was completely fine
I would never use a program like that regardless of the discount.

obd 2 has been around since the early 90s

>I would never use a program like that regardless of the discount.

If the lobbyists get Congress to vote an exemption (aka loophole) in the privacy law for insurance companies and car companies, then you have no choice. The data would be sent to the insurance companies just as a lot of other data already is when obtained by other sources such as service shops, tire centers, police ticket, battery installation shops, dealers, and even your biannual emissions inspection.

Disable wheel speed sensors (pull all ABS fuses).
Disconnect speedo at tranny.
Use dummy 02 sensors.

Problems weren't.

Things like ACTA and SOPA were stopped by public backlash. So the politicians do sometimes listen to the voters.

The GM computer would set the car into "Limp Home Mode" if you did that. It also reports by cellular when sensors are malfunctioning. It's also illegal to drive without odometer when you disconnect speedo at tranny. Onstar would document the transgression and the GPS locations the car was moving. Given the time and distance, the Onstar, government, and insurance reviewing the data could calculate your speed of travel.

Since my car is new, prolonged driving like that would provide enough documentation for GM to revoke my warranty due to deliberate driver negligence. It would be impossible to claim I didn't know since multiple indicators would be glowing angry red on my dash and the car is in reduced power (limp home) mode.

The problem about computers is that they make Big Brother impossible to avoid when they are such an integral part of the car.

>once in a blue moon late night driving

What the fuck man it's your fucking car, why the fuck is some jew dictating when you can and can't use it.

Fuck it's because people eat this shit up that they get away with it.

Then don't buy a fucking gaystar jew car idiot.

>you're telling me that I have the privilege of paying to have some one monitor me?

I think giving up your freedom like that is pretty disgusting. People that enroll in these programs should be shipped off to a communist shithole like the UK or Europe.

pretty sure every newer GM has it so you're fucked unless you want to stick with old shitboxes

Man, both 1984 and Brave New World are becoming a reality at the same time.

Considering this and the fact that shillary might win i might as well fuck off to japan or New Zealand instead of the US. I mean, i like the american lifestyle and shit, but NZ is arguably the best place for car enthusiasts and japan is... Japan.

At least in NZ insurance its not mandatory

Shillary won't be any kind of drastic end of the world but if she goes through with illegal immigrant amnesty or some shit like that we will effectively have democratic supermajority until the end of the nation. If people get mad enough at policies enacted there could be secession, and then we have a new start and another 250 years for it to go to shit. US will be fine, it might be US/2 within a few decades at worst.

>end of the world

No shit she wont make the end of the world user, but she can (and most likely will) enforce stupid shit and force everyone to get used to this stupid shit so that nobody complains about it and everyone accepts it.

Its still quite stupid to me that in this world, filled with criminals, wars, and tyrants, The US, one of the very few countries in the world where the common citizen can still arm itself whenever they want, their own citizens demand the US to remove what makes it stand up compared to the rest of the world.

It only takes for the people to do nothing when she tries to pass shitty laws that work around what the amendment was made to stop, and have people used to it, to send the US down a shit hole.

That's what i fear about democrats. Slippery slope its fucking real. It didn't looked real at first, but "what we tolerate today our childrens will embrace tommorrow" doesn't look so much a /pol/ motto against odd things and more of a social law.

>nz
>trolling on Facebook is literally illegal
Poor choice.

I am not big into social networks, but car-related shit in NZ is literally the best in the world

>good roads
>tougays everywhere
>not forced to take insurance
>little to no import car tax
>no prohibition on car imports at all
>little to no regulations on car
>everything is fucking cheap

Almost $2 a liter for gas....

Yeah fuck that m8. I bet you all drive .9l clown cars like your retarded Australian brothers. Kinda pointless having "sick car culture brah" when everybody is too poor to afford a proper car.

I aint NZ. I live in a place where a liter of fuel its 1 buck, but trust me, upkeep aint got shit on a place where freedom is law.

>27 year old car
>$69/Mo.
Unless you got a fucking Porsche you're still getting jipped

I wasn't expecting to get under $100 with a mustang.

>mustang
that makes sense. I don't know if you are aware, but mustang drivers are notoriously shitty drivers and get into accidents frequently.
>tfw I know one guy who drives a 2013 mustang
>he walked in to a friend's house and bragged about how he got airtime b/c he drove off a curb leaving a CVS parking lot

being this new

Statistically they end up charging more to the average user.

Found the 9 year old retard who got on the interweb.

I FUCKING TRIED TO WARN YOU NIGGERS ABOUT THIS TWO YEARS AGO WHEN IT FIRST STARTED POPPING UP, BUT NAHHHHH, I WAS TOLD BY YOU FUCKERS IT WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, NOW YA'LL IN HEAR BITCHING ABOUT BIG BROTHER

STUPID FAGGOTS

What happens if you're required to put it on a car that you take to the track or autocross occasionally?

Why would you be dd'ing a car you track? Are you a fucking moron?

Are you a fucking peon?

>"user you have 2 cars that are registered and we are requiring you to put this device on both of them"

Nope,but it's painfully apparent you are due to you being so fucking stupid as to add a track car or take your dad autocrossing you fucking moron

Yeah, except they don't do that, an insurance company is not your local government, and if this would be the case tell them you only have one car and get liability for the track queen from another company, or just say fuck you and go with another company

I wouldn't know that, I don't have progressive.

I live in nz, shit like gas may cost a bit more but he's right we've got it so good here.
It's not hard to own a decent car. Cars need a wof safety check and you have to certify some mods but it keeps the shitters and stancefags off the roads. I still have insurance though I'd rather not be paying off some merc for years if I fucked up somehow.

I am also a /k/ommando. How's gun ownership and internet speed around there?

I do,but I never got cucked into getting that shitty tracker, mother fuckers are complaining about a voluntary thing, especially a tracker, expecting nothing bad to happen

Yeah... we're great for cars but guns are a lot trickier to own here. I don't know a lot, but they do background checks and the guns have to be registered and kept in a safe I'm pretty sure.
Internet used to be shit but it's gotten a lot better and fibre is being rolled out now.

>HURR ONLY ONE KIND OF PERSON CAN DRIVE A CAR
I also have an '89, maybe foxes tend to attract a less retarded demographic but there are going to be sensible and retarded owners of any popular car.

>insurance companies require you to install trackers to eliminate any financial risk on their part
>rates increase if you brake hard, regardless of reason, drive at "dangerous hours", drive on "dangerous roads" and a dozen illegitimate reasons more
>autonomous driving is becoming a reality
>battery cars are becoming a reality against all logic and reason
>"enthusiasts" shill 5000lbs cars as the height of car design
>4 cylinder Mustangs aren't just tolerated, but actively recommended by "enthusiasts"
>a 180bhp Fiesta is the motorist world's favourite car
>at the same time the Toyobaru is being shat on for not having high low end torque
>my generation doesn't give a single shit about cars
>the government treats drivers like public enemies

The age of the automobile is coming to an end, and just in time for when I get my degree in automotive engineering. Study something you're interested in they said, turn your hobby into your profession they said.

Dont buy GM
Wew that was hard

if you dont like the fiesta and focus st you can just fuck right on off with your shit taste m8

Don't you have to ferry your wives children to school? You're lucky she allows you to drive a hot hatch, others have to drive minivans.

>Living in a metropolitan area

>accelerating to the speed limit as fast as possible is spirited driving
Kys

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

user they probably removed your discount it your rate shouldnt have increased. i found out starting your car after midnight also flags in and its 12-4am not 11-6 unless they changes it and your not supposed to go over 30 miles but yyou can skew averages by going on

>tfw work requires me to drive between 11 and 6 almost every week
Thank god there's none of this bullshit in my country yet.

Yes

>going 65 in that 60 is unsafe, citizen
>you are a high risk driver
>'everyone else is going 65'
>we don't give a fuck, higher speeds mean more damage mean more expensive claims

>What happens if you're required to put it on a car that you take to the track or autocross occasionally?

If you signed up to use Onstar tracking to get an insurance discount (yes, that plan is available now), then you'd be stupid to go on a track. All those sudden accelerations AND sudden brakes along with traction control with wheels making sharp turns (yes, turn amounts are tracked). would prove you are racing.

Insurance policies do not cover racing. At least mine says NO. I bet most insurance policies also don't cover damages from racing. So you'd be stupid to have any tracking while autocrossing. Not only would the statistics created cause your insurance rate to go up, it would prove you are racing. They can always use "stress damage from racing" to try to disqualify damage in the future. Or suddenly reveal that your policy was cancelled and reduced to minimum legal liability required by the state if they continue to accept your payments despite the main terms of the policy being violated and cancelled. It's one of those cases where your policy doesn't actually say what coverage you have because at that point the state law takes over and specifies the minimum liability the company is still obligated to cover you despite you the policy holder violating the terms of the contract. Those terms are individual to each state of course.

Don't do it bro. Even if the discount is good.

They will build a driving style profile on you, and then if you ever do get into an at-fault accident that's due to something outside of that driving profile, they will refuse to pay out same as when they refuse to pay out on unsafe cars in accidents.

More like the people don't always listen to the politicians

Their decisions only matter if we listen to them.