there is this one
chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/5733891274.html

it looks so so?

and i really like this one but i hate body lifts
chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/5744167341.html

>first gen 4 runner
>good options
>implying their are any
in all seriousness though it is insanely difficult to find clean, well-kept options.
on top of that, their one true downfall is rust. i wouldnt trust anything from the northeast. id be willing to be every single one of the ones you linked is completely rotted.
if you really want to find a decent one, look at the cl's for southern cities. it will take at least a few months if not a year to find a good one even still.

i mean what engine? that one was the v6
and a stick
is the auto better offroad?

those 3 look pretty clean to me.

If Pajero means "he who fiddles with himself", and I fiddle with my Pajero, does that mean I am the one who fiddles with the one who fiddles with himself?

auto is always a bit easier offroad, if i were getting a gen1 runner it would be manual though. much more classic and more reliable.

>those 3 look pretty clean to me.
there arent any real pictures of the undercarriages on any of those listings, you have no way out knowing that. go check them out, id love to be proven wrong but id bet anything that they are all completely rotted. these trucks have rust issues even in some very dry states. after nearly 30 years in the rust belt theres no way they arent full of cancer.

love your 2-door man. wish we got those here in the states! diesel or gas?

35" on a xj?

what years had a solid front axle?

I really need to get my gas tanks done. It's been way too long since my truck has been off roading. Needs a trip to the Pine Barrens.

Cheers man, good wee thing.

It's a 93' 4m40 2.8td, with some work done.

Heads came back from the machine shop, replaced the minivan tires the PO had on.

Pulled the crank out of curiosity and the bearings are fucked.

whats the plan

wat

You the guy with the cannon trailer?

el bumperino

brake checking

Got my pajero np some new skid plates recently so i decided to test them up this mountain pass in the zaili-alatau region of northern tyanshan.
I thought the little 6g72 would have breathing prooblems but it just kept on going.

got the sump, tranny and transfer case covered.
3mm steel, powder coated.
I am going to get the radiator skid plate made next month since the car shop didn't have a ready diagram. I'm planning to give it a little custom 'Sorcerer' engraving

I like those Pajeros.

Here's my shitty WD21.

Hoping to hit some trails the next couples days.
Tho the go pro mount in this truck is fucking awsome for filming

Sending the block and that stuff to the machine shop soon to get it checked out. If I need new pistons I'll order some 9.1:1's I found a good deal on. I also need a new steering gear and half axles.

I'm interested in doing a DIY port and polish on the head, but I don't want to risk screwing it up. Not many routes for making power on an NA KA.

I hope to have it back together by next spring.

Good to see a strong turn out from the Pajero crew. There seems to be an awful lot on Veeky Forums in recent years.
That looks a little neater than my engine bay these days. Just a question, what size is the rear mounted battery? Is that an N70?

This weekend I'm going to make a point of pulling the cam cover off and giving the PCV the clean I feel it needs.
Ever since I've owned it for the last two and a half years it's managed to keep the intake nicely lubed with a thin film of oil all the way from the breather tube as many 4M40s like to do. It still uses next to no oil, so I doubt it's experiencing excessive blowby.
But upon further investigation, apparently the particle seperator in the PCV is prone to clogging and not allowing the oil in the ventilation to drain back.

Apart from that, I'm strongly contemplating investing in an oil pressure, EGT and boost gauge, then shimming the waste gate and increasing fuel. Would probably throw a cheap ~2.5" zorst on for good measure.

probably a good valve job is worth more power than an amateur porting job

heres what i did on a jeep head. started with the exhaust side. must have taken 3 lbs off the fucker just on exhaust

it took almost 2 weeks of grinding to do just this shitty head.

but i KNOW i got it to flow. i just never want to do it again

>that shrouding
what a turd. 2 valves heads are so bad lol.

>i KNOW
did you dyno before and after

no. but i did flowbench it
its not like i could have fucked it up, the factory did such a shitty job

post the numbers

My 4runner getting dirty at the san gabriel OHV yesterday

87 runner i saw yesterday too

>Jeep faggots
>having any substance to their claims
Lol, Jeep faggots will always be just that.

Why not both?

Pulling the engine was such a PITA I almost wish I bought a jeep.

gr8 b8 m8

wait it comes standard with a gopro mount?
thats a bit weird. p sweet tho

nice man! so jelly of you wetcoastfags with 0 rust

>fuck u

>sitting at a stoplight in my 40
>mfw some faggot pulls up next to me and says 'nice jeep, man!'

Yes. I usually post a pic of that truck with a cannon hitched to the back because I think it's cool. But I don't have that pic on my phone, only my computer at home.

Ya i thought it was strange too
I have a hero 4 tho so good for me.
>pic related

unless you actually widened your ports for oversized valves, a valve job wont do shit for flow

anons machine shop should have done a pressure check on his head and told him if he needed a valve job when he took his head there

I need anew top. Black or tan, and how annoying would it be to DD this in winter when it gets pretty cold?

That looks really rusty man ...
Get a hard top for winter

test

>b8
I gather you didn't get the context

Thanks user but age and dd is taking its toll on us too. Post your rig user

>Trying to talk my wife into trading our Subaru and XJ for a newer Wrangler
>She's having none of it
I guess that's good since I love the XJ

Nothing that can't be fixed. I'm looking for a hardtop, but all the reasonably priced ones are halfway across the state, don't fit a TJ, or are already sold.

In 1984 and 1985 the 4runners had a solid axle front suspension for the US market

am kinda a newfag to /org/ and have a few quesitons

1. Whenever I google things about offroading, all the listings come up about buying >the latest jeep
is there an Veeky Forums list of approved year/makes/models?

2. One problem I see frequently mentioned in the threads is rust. I have a little bit of money, is there not some coating I couldn't just pay to have added to some old jeep?

3. What are the first steps to take in making a suv offroad capable? I have a 2001 Rav4, and while it's not the glorious 4wd with 35s, I want to be able to do more than crawl pavement all day without it crapping out on me

i'm planning to go ona trip from almaty to finland in the pajero in hopes to catch the northern lights.
I've been on long trips, but not ones that are over 10000km long.
Any tips, upgrades, mods you guys could recommend for such a road trip?

what's your budget, where do you live and what sort of offroading are you going to be doing?

pic related: a swb gaz69 outside my office

meant to reply to

Have a yj. Blower(not ome) keeps me toasty in the winter with windows open on low. Running a hard top but, plenty of wranglers running soft tops here in the winter. Just don't let a lot plie on top, especially wet snow. Heard the Tj has great heating.

I have about 15k to just blow, not sure if that's a lot in autoworld. I live in MS and will probably be doing a mix of mud/rocky trails, tishamingo area if you are familiar with the state. Maybe 20 microwave size rocks in an area the size of a swimming pool, maybe mud 1-2 ft deep

Lada Niva?

Good to know, thanks. I'll just have to be more obsessive than usual about cleaning the snow off.

$15k is plenty, even if you're buying a new vehicle. You probably won't be able to make your 2wd Rav4 capable of much without throwing more time and money at it than it's worth. If you want to make an offroad-capable RAV4, start with the 4wd version.

2 feet of mud is not probably something a rav4 will be capable of traversing. You probably want something that can fit bigger wheels and has a rear diff locker. better yet if it has the rd locker and traction control.

Or crawl mode

i don't think he can buy a j200 for $15000

It would be a nice down payment tho....
Less hassle

His RAV4 isn't even 4wd. Anything would be better.

Post your local Craigslist.