ABS control module

I took my car into brakes plus to get my car checked because the lights were on. I looked at the pads and they were fine and made sure the brake fluid was ok. Guy there said the module control was misfiring some sensors and that I should replace the entire ABS control module. That's like 1200 bucks he said but my car is barely worth 3 grand. Should I replace it?

Other urls found in this thread:

webm.land/w/1NWV/
pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/exclusive-the-wheeler-interview/8303
autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/sprint-test-jaguar-ariel-radical-and-more-take-our-0-120-0-challenge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if the valves were actuating you should've felt it in the pedal or hear the pump on the module.

i'd get a second opinion. take it to the dealer.

I will do that thanks. The actual brake system seems like it's fine and the car is braking normally. Could it just be a misfiring sensor?

>$1200

A brand new one, probably. A used one will run you way, way less

>Could it just be a misfiring sensor?

Could be. Many ABS systems set error codes that are readable (some require proprietary readers). Code should indicate which sensor or actuator is bad. Ask mechanic for the codes.

can you relocate these things? they always clutter up the engine bay

My 1.1 citroen was worth about 3k when the abs system went out. Power steering was dead, speedo was dead, car screamed at me to stop immediately all the time. 500 for the part, 200 for the 45min it took to change. I went for it.

you can't leave the story there, what happened next?

Odd thing is, this happened in winter. I took the car to a large shopping centre parking lot and the abs still kicked in on fresh snow. Only the computer was acting up due to some fault because moisture got into the module (placed by the wheel).

I drove for a few weeks without the system. Judging my speed by the revs and gear I was in (had the car for a few year already so was familiar with it). No speeding tickets. The idea was to fix the car, change the plates to local and keep driving it. Ended up fixing the car, driving it for half a year longer on illegal plates lol, then buying a new car with fresh plates and selling the old lady. Once a car has the market value of less than 3k, you really start to think through those serious repairs.

What type of car is it? Mechanic here, might be able to offer some advice.

Yeah but bending all the new brakelines to fit is a real cunt.

I used to be a quality engineer at an ABS module manufacturing plant.

Just pull the ABS fuse and learn to brake like a man. Fuck those things.

Sorry I finally got off work. It's a 2004 Ford Taurus sel if you're still interested.

Probably just an abs sensor for one individual wheel, i know my front left sensor on my vw keeps acting up, at least once every month the abs light is on and then it turns off.

I'm a bong so never worked on those. Abs is failsafe so if the light is on it won't be working and you would just get normal braking but if it's something you want to fix yourself in would get a diagnostic check done at another independent workshop, ask for a printed report of what the fault is.

Following on you can do some basic checks without diagnostic equipment. Do you have a multimeter? Jack one wheel up at a time, disconnect the sensor to that wheel and probe the connection from the speed sensor, have someone rotate the wheel and see if you get any readings on your meter. If you get nothing then there's a fault at that sensor or the abs reluctor ring/magnetic bearing.

You can do other visual checks. Are all your tyres the same size across axles, are the tyres in good condition and at correct pressure, have a look at all sensors, sometimes they get damaged by debris. If everything still points to the module it could just be a stuck shuttle valve, is the brake fluid clean/replaced regularly? If not fresh fluid might unstick tight valves. Another thing you can try is on an empty road get up to speed and really stand on the brakes a few times, this can sometimes free them off.

Lastly how is your battery? Abs doesn't like a weak battery. Try resetting the abs by removing the fuse and refitting, alternatively disconnect the battery but when you do touch the terminal wires together (not battery terminals) for 30 seconds this discharges any internal memory batteries on the car and should reset it. If all this fails and it is the module there's places that repair them for under a 1/4 of new prices, at least in the UK. In all honesty though if your car doesn't have huge value and there is no annual safety checks that would pick up on your inoperative abs then I'd pull the fuse and drive it.

Bump for op

Yeah, man. You can totally out-brake the ABS in an emergency situation and not kill anybody or rear end anybody. ;^)

>cadence braking.
ABS can cause an accident as much as prevent one if the drivers a tard.

How can it cause an accident?

The majority of people don't understand abs, it's not magic. People take bigger risks with their braking because they think it can always stop them no matter what. I've had customers actually complain their brake pedal is bouncing when they brake in the wet because they don't understand its the abs cycling to save their retarded arse from crashing. I'd take a good driver who knows his non abs car and it's brakes limitations and understands cadence braking over a tard with abs.

>I've had customers
Well, that explains a lot. The fact that you work as a mechanic, or in a repair shop/dealership or whatever, means that you are a concentration point for retards and problems. Most people I talk to don't know what an hey bee ess is nor care about it. They just fucking brake. If the car didn't brake hard enough, then it's broken. They never blame the ABS. People not knowing the limitations of their brakes does not mean that ABS is at fault. In fact, removing ABS for those people will make them even more dangerous on the road.

webm.land/w/1NWV/
I would like to say that the webm is related, but its probably some boiracer instead of a normal person.

The guy in the webm is obviously a tool. ABS has actually been responsible for deaths before but like you say it's saved more lives than its killed. There's a good article about the cons of ABS from Peter wheeler of TVR if you have time to google it.

Found it.
pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/exclusive-the-wheeler-interview/8303

>On anti-lock brakes Wheeler happily pointed out that a car with anti-lock brakes will always take longer to stop than a car without, as demonstrated by Autocar’s 0-100-0 challenge in previous years.
I've read autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/sprint-test-jaguar-ariel-radical-and-more-take-our-0-120-0-challenge
and I'm not really impressed by it. The fact that they tested different cars with different configurations, weight, tires, etc, etc, proves nothing to me about ABS.

I'll try looking up some tests with and without ABS used on the same car with the same config except for the ABS.

Bump

>Abs is failsafe

I see you dont have experience with gm wheel bearings

I don't actually. British so our GM cars are vauxhall, no known wheel bearing issues. Do tell how the ABS not working properly effects the bearings on GM cars.

He was missing an 'a'.

metal shavings tend to stick to the magnetic hall effect sensor

also brake dust

I would call it a failsafe in the way that most people are just "good enough" drivers, using their vehicles only as a means of transport. Your average car guy is the one who watches old top gear torrents or vids on youtube, sometimes lets it rip and hoons when noone is looking. Rarely does someone take the time to read a book about auto racing just to take some pointers which can be applied in daily driving, let alone do some driving-related exercises or taking skid controll classes or somesuch.