What is so special about LS engines?

What is so special about LS engines?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VsmbbuSq9m0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtu.be/VsmbbuSq9m0

Cheap, plentiful, compact, good power and buckets of torque.

Get ready son

literally nothing.

Thy are 100% ford

hp/dollar, aftermarket, all round simplicity (you can google your problem and find a solution) etc.

the engine itself is pretty unremarkable, besides it's power density

why would anyone want to start the base of their performance car with a truck engine? low down torque and a low redline? no performance car should have this. Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, all know that top end power is what makes a car go fast and they keep pushing the limits in this regard.
the original corvette just had a truck engine slapped into a cars body to make it "fast" and cheap. this philosophy has stuck and boomers have latched onto it because they can't comprehend anything else other than "because that's the way it's always been done". they pass this mentality onto their inbred children who worship it like its the one and only truth when in reality there's many other ways to do the same thing for the same price point. with the savings gm uses in their shitty engines that haven't changed at all since the 60's, they don't even make the interior or other attributes of the car worth a shit.
there's a reason gm got bailed out twice. because their cars are shit and the majority of people who actually do their research prior to buying a car know that.
I immediately think less of a person when I see them driving a gm product because it means that they couldn't even do enough research to buy a good car, which is only the second largest expense the majority of the population makes.

>Tldr they're shit.

First post best post

This, pretty much.

People get so assmad about them being so popular (stop liking thing I don't like reeeeeee!) and yeah, they're actually not all that special, comparatively speaking.

It's sort of a chicken and egg thing too, the parts availability and vast aftermarket is what makes them so popular, which means that aftermarket is only going to grow because they're so popular.

They're pretty OK. I don't see a reason to be upset.

>Low redline
Stopped reading there. My small block 350, not an ls mind you, revs to 7500. You're pretty ignorant for having so many opinions on an engine you've definitely never dealt with before.
See

have fun in your miata weeb

1. Cheap
2. Domestic (plenty of parts and mods)
3. powerful
4. powerful
5. powerful
6. cheap and domestic

They're like rotary engines, except heavier and with less cast iron (except when they're a lot heavier and have more cast iron), and have piston rings that blow up when you boost them instead of apex seals.

hey.
not op but
fuck you.

tfw you LS swap your RX-7 and lose weight.

That means you're deleting AC, PS, and smog controls at the same time, which isn't really comparable. You could have deleted all that with the rotary and saved even more weight.

no you don't faglord

oh cool, i can filter you now

I can drop my trip if you want

$500 and an afternoon

LS fangirls BTFO

>all aluminum
not oem..

>BTFO
>fucking peripheral-ported 13b makes same power as my FACTORY STOCK LS1

my LS1 has 172k miles and gets 26 mpg still making over 300hp.

a pport 13B is race-only. that's like daily driving a formula 3 car

>aluminium rotary

enjoy changing apex seals and housing.

>low down torque and low redline

>has never been in a V8 muscle car at 6000-7000 RPM

also
>not wanting torque

what do you think a TURBO does you fucking faggot mongoloid

protip: its not adding RPM

learn what HP is before you spout retarded shit

Tldr; pushrod engines are currently spanking most ferraris, lambos, and porsches. Argument immediately invalid

C7 z06 only loses out to nismo gtr, 918, other hypers costing >$1million, or literal shitbox gokarts that seem to be spawning out

Why do you assume that cam profiles etc have to stay the same if the base block is used as a utility engine?

>Veeky Forums spouts shit about HURR DURR PUSHRODS

>not realizing they eliminate the need for the two cams in a V engine, reducing weight and rotating mass and complexity

if it wasn't for cam-in-block PUSHROD GODS you have 4 cams and a bunch of chains

>oem
literally fucking irrelevant

>same power as my FACTORY STOCK LS1
and it weights 4 times less, a turbo kit will boost that shit to 1200hp easily and it will still be lighter than an LS

>I have no idea what I am talking about

Technically speaking pushrod valvetrains do add more moving parts BUT you are right about timing chains being simple.

>Location of your powerband is what determines usability and speed, not width of powerband!
No.

>Corvette has truck engine!
No. Small block Chevy premiered in the Corvette, and it's always had significant distinction from the trucks by having stuff like GM's first fuel injection. Lately, they got the aluminium engines first, the redesigned heads, etc, etc. Basically, Corvette is first, pony cars follow, and then the trucks get their turn. I'm also pretty sure trucks never got the exotic bigblocks, like the ZL1.

Your forgot compact and light.

enjoy your valvefloat

>Ferrari
Literally used GM transmissions because they couldn't design an automatic up to about 2010.
>Porsche
Literally using Audi truck motors, even in the 918.
>Lamborghini
Two Audi inline five utility engines slapped together.

>>Porsche
>Literally using Audi truck motors, even in the 918.
you whatnow

Pushrod engines can still be used up to 10K RPM (See: Honda), but you don't need to. Design an engine with a bit longer stroke, add some torque, bam, power. Piston speed will be excessive anyways, so you might as well stick to the lower RPM where pushrods work fine without valve float.

you do realize that Honda motorcycle OHC engines can rev up to 20k right?

>Cayman/Boxter
Cucked into a 4-banger, lel
>911
Cucked into downsizing and turbo lag, lel

>918
First ever Porsche design utilising a V8. Probably uses half the parts of a 4.2 Audi.
>Macan
Shares platform with Q5, therefore, uses that model's truck engines.
>Cayenne
Shares platform with Q7, therefore, uses that model's truck engines.
>Panamera
See above, except no diract VAG counterpart. Still uses truck engines from Q5/Q7.

0/10

>First ever Porsche design utilising a V8.
M8. It's not even the first production Porsche that uses a V8.

Is that supposed to be impressive? Smaller you go the faster you get with less effort.
And OP it's because you can compete with a 2JZ swapped car at a third of the price for the motor. And 2Js are already cheapish.

then why did you quote honda ohv bike engines if we were talking about car engines?

>a pport 13B is race-only. that's like daily driving a formula 3 car
It's really not. It's a lot more like driving an AP1 S2000, which a lot of people do on their way to work every single day.

>Not ceramic coating the inside of engine to increase seal and housing life, and saving even more weight by deleting the entire coolant system

>comparing i4 powerband to rotary

kys famalam

I don't know where you're getting that someone did, and if they did, it wasn't me. That's my first post ITT.

>LS compete with a 2jz
Come back when an ls1 can make 1000hp without opening the block

>1200hp turbo rotary
Good luck making it to the end of a round of dyno pulls without it exploding
>spend the day doing pulls and tuning
>time for another rebuild!

>Dd an S2k
Absofuckinlutley.

Its not a stock c7 zo6 user, it lasts longer than a couple minutes when being beat on

>bbbut muh pushrods are reliable!
>No no I don't care about the lt4 lunching itself or the ls7 dropping valves, look at hoe reliable a 180hp smog Era truck engine is!!

>he can only reply with butthurt memes

Sup Alphonse

You'd have to do that to the 2J too. And you're still at four times the cost.

Dont confuse me with that summerfag

Sup Alphonse

Nope. 2jz routinely cranks out four figures without opening the block.
I suggest you do yoir research next time before you try compare an engine that Hates forced induction to one legendary for making massive power

>muh arbitrary benchmarks

>look at the time when GM had a problem with 1% of the production of an engine model
>p-please ignore the time Mazda made an engine that needed redesigning by the end user to reach 70k miles in 90% of cases

>time Mazda made an engine that needed redesigning by the end user to reach 70k miles in 90% of cases
citation needed

>something about 3 2JZs have ever done
>routinely

Your entire post is damage control
Roflmao

>Yeah man I can double the horsepower with just a tune brah
Your average 2JZ swap still isn't going to clear 700hp. The LS is the cheapest engine that approaches those numbers, and that's why it's popular.

Which is the entire point and subject of the discussion.

I don't even rep either of them. My shit's the AMC straight six.

Sure it'll make 1000hp on stock internals.

But it won't last long, 600-700hp is about the max you'd want to run daily with some semblance of reliability

Why is opening the block a bad thing?

And it's still waay more than an ls1 will make with forced induction without being opened. About twice as much actually

Other than being a PITA and requiring a rebuild kit? Nothing.

It's not, it's just a stupid bit of dickwaving.
>hurr that NA engine is shit you can't boost the shit out of it without gapping the rings first

>why would anyone want to start the base of their performance car with a truck engine? low down torque and a low redline? no performance car should have this. Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, all know that top end power is what makes a car go fast and they keep pushing the limits in this regard.
>the original corvette just had a truck engine slapped into a cars body to make it "fast" and cheap. this philosophy has stuck and boomers have latched onto it because they can't comprehend anything else other than "because that's the way it's always been done". they pass this mentality onto their inbred children who worship it like its the one and only truth when in reality there's many other ways to do the same thing for the same price point. with the savings gm uses in their shitty engines that haven't changed at all since the 60's, they don't even make the interior or other attributes of the car worth a shit.
>there's a reason gm got bailed out twice. because their cars are shit and the majority of people who actually do their research prior to buying a car know that.
>I immediately think less of a person when I see them driving a gm product because it means that they couldn't even do enough research to buy a good car, which is only the second largest expense the majority of the population makes.

This new pasta? Seems pretty yummy

I don't recall LS topping out on the inside of 475.

And you still haven't addressed the main point of the hp/$ ratio being the selling get point. You're just nitpicking something I said as an offhand comparison to another extremely common backyard swap. All you're trying to argue is that the 2JZ is a superior engine. If you're paying two grand for it, it better be.

Here's a normal grocery getter I4 on the left, and an OH EMM JEEZ NO TORKZ UNDRIVEABLE RACE ENGINE on the right.

Working on cars at all is a pain in the ass. I thought modifying a car to suit you and what you want it to do (which is basically never in line with OEM sensibilities) was part of this whole "car guy" thing. Or have people got even more averse to work and learning since I last looked?

It is. It's just inherently a time consuming and intensive thing to do.

cost, size and reliability.

Since when is an F20C some normal grocery getter i4? And why does the rotary dyno start at 4500 rpm?

Isn't that a ford modular on the left?

>hp/ $
Bullshit metric that no one cares about except poorfags who cant afford to modify an engine anyway
$500 ls1s don't exist by the way

>paying attention to obvious shitposts

Probably because the things idle at like 3 and a half grand.

its a toyota V8 IIRC>

>he thinks you can reliably get 1000hp out of a bone stock 2j
What the actual fuck.

no pic related is a modular

1UZ-FE I believe.

>bone stock
Well no, you need to bin the factory turbos

So a fuckton of people then
>I make so much money/am willing to save up my good boy points for eight years
>This makes everybody else stupid and worthless
dis my favrit maymay

Ok thank you

It's pretty common to start dyno pulls at 3000-4000 RPM to reduce wear and because no one really cares how much power their car makes at 2500 RPM (although bus riders love to point out how much power their daddy's v8 makes at idle).

Maybe if you're a shit driver

Obviously you can't, because a 2J is a diesel 4 banger from the 60s or some shit. A 2JZ can, though.

Better off going for the F20C then, at least you don't need to worry about wearing it out just by driving it normally.
It managed to do its dyno pull from 2000rpm.

>valvefloat related in any way to driving skills

the fuck?

>better off going for an inferior engine in every aspect except muh honduh reliability
Buy a fucking corolla then

I know you're just shitposting, but oil pumps designed to operate at 9000 RPM don't work efficiently at 2000 RPM. Wide open throttle off idle with a load on it qualifies as abuse. Most people won't even tune their engines down that low because it's a waste of time and you're never going to be starting a 30-roll in top gear. Just because some Honda kiddie is an idiot doesn't mean "Honda reliability" will stand up to that abuse forever.

Ferrari uses GM suspension as well

>makes more power at the wheels than the rotary at the crank
>more reliable
>less finicky
>far superior bsfc overall
>inferior
all you got is some smoothness and an extra 200rpm at the top end.
the bottom end is so shamefur dyno operators hide it to avoid upsetting owners.

Yeah sure, apart from the oil pump designed to work at the redline, the ignition system that works when it wants, clogged cats, burning seals and flooding if you turn the key wrong, renesis a good boy really

they don't tho

thats like saying Ford used GM transmissions on the older mustangs simply because it is a tremec

>renesis

nice straw grasping

>makes more power at wheels than rotary at a crank
Didn't know the f20 made 280whp

The rotary has superior power delivery l. End of story.

>bbbut muh 2000rpm
Let's not pretend low end matters in a f20 when it only starts making 160hp at 6000rpm

the engine in the dyno is a reneshit

>rotards in charge of reading graphs.
the F20C is a wheel hp reading, the renesis is at the crank. cry about it faggot

You're right. It's chinese.

Still less whp than crank hp
Learn to read
Also pic related Roflmao

Stay btfo

Also pic related Roflmao

>o-only 1 dyno sheet counts!!

nice straw grasping

have an s4 13b at the wheels

>the renesis is at the crank.
renesis can easily make 200 horse at the wheels, faggot