Dealers vs. Private Owners

Looking at purchasing a Ferrari 360.
Has anyone had experience in this?
Costs, guarantees, inspections?
And, is the type (manual vs auto, convertible vs coupe) relevant in this decision?

Are you lost? No one here has a Ferrari.

>costs
high
>reliability
>low

The only reason to buy that car is to show off. Buy a GT-R if you want a fast fun reliable car.

Well, last time there was a thread like this there were a bunch of people weighing in, knowledgable enough that I couldn't understand half the shit they were talking about.
Not usual here?

>>reliability
>>low
Ferraris in general, or this model specifically?

Ferraris in general. The 360 in particular isn't an exception to the rule. Doug dememero had one for a year without any serious problems but he didn't have a CarMax warranty on that one. It doesn't need crazy engine out services every few years like some Ferraris do. The biggest thing is that when something does go wrong, it can only be fixed by some Italian dude with an unpronounceable name who charges the same hourly rate as the guys who got OJ off. If you have to ask, you can't afford a Ferrari. Get a Porsche instead, you'll have more fun driving it and worry less about every little noise. Only upside to the Ferrari is that it's a total dickmagnet, if that's your thing. It won't get you pussy though.

I didn't phrase the thread well.
I was really just wondering if there were inherent advantages to buying this (or other two seaters) at a dealer as opposed to a private sale.
The other factors I listed were in reference to this, I'm aware of the basic costs associated with Ferraris, just haven't bought many cars like this.

>engine out service costs $20k
>have to do it every 20k miles
Pretty much costs $1 a mile in just mandatory timing service

>Pretty much costs $1 a mile in just mandatory timing service
That's not the end of the world, I guess.
I might only have it for a few years, and I doubt I'd put more than 1,000 miles on it in a year anyway.

Ahahahah won't get you pushy!

Get real. A Ferrari gets you anything you fucking want.

Don't understand why a person would buy an expensive status symbol that they don't even drive frequently

although I still want an 80s ferrari for maximum aesthetics

If you have to ask about costs, then dont buy. Get a porsche

I concur, you'll want to talk to /u/verdegrrl over on Reddit. She has an encyclopedic knowledge of Ferraris.

>they don't even drive frequently
I don't really want to sit in traffic, so I wouldn't use it for any kind of commute.
More just a weekend setup for well banked roads with good curves.

>visiting plebbit
>knowing plebbitors

tripfags everyone

>implying not 80% of Veeky Forums goes to reddit

this guy gets it

Difference in costs between a dealer and private sale.
I already know it will set me back between $90K and $110K just for purchase.

Don't even think about buying a 360 until you've driven one first. See if one of those "supercar experience" things has one, maybe, so you can actually do it on a track. They're pretty disappointing compared to more mundane modern sports cars.

Also, 1k a year is a bad thing. These cars need to be driven somewhat regularly, letting them sit a lot is as bad as driving them into the ground.

If you're serious about one, find a good Ferrari mechanic and demand that the owner of any car you consider will let you have a PPI done. The cost of the PPI is nothing compared to the risk of buying a lemon.

I'd go with a manual coupe, the F1 trans is clunky and the convertible just adds more expensive shit that can go wrong.

Personally, though, I agree with the "buy a Porsche" guy. 996 GT3s are cheap for what they are, quite exotic in their own right, and vastly simpler to deal with than the 360.

Thanks for the input.
Regarding 1K, I'm having trouble seeing how I could drive it much more than that. I don't have a commute, so it couldn't really be a daily driver anyway.
I would certainly have a PPI done, good investment on the front end.
Manual coupe is exactly what I want. In fact, one of the main reasons I'm planning on going with a 360 is that I heard a stick 430 might cost me 50% more, and sticks aren't so much an option after that.
Screw convertibles and the added problems too.
I've really got nothing against Porsches other than the fact that I don't find their styling that impressive. I know they're a driver's car, performance wise, but I don't want it if I have to take short & squat to get it.

>aren't so much an option after that
By this I mean Ferrari model wise. Stick is the only reason I'm reaching back 10 years for a car.

Yeah, I can understand not wanting the Porsche too, just because they'll always suffer from sharing too much with a basic 911 that you see every day.

A few other things I might look at, though - 550s and 575s were pretty reasonably priced last time I looked, came with a good manual, and give you the full V12 Ferrari experience.

Other things outside the brand that I might look at, and which are also available in manuals, include the R8, an Aston Vantage (I think the V12 might even fit your budget), and as sort of an oddball choice, I think you could actually buy a brand new Lotus Evora for what you're looking to spend. (It's probably the most exotic car on the list, actually, but the motor is a bit uninspiring, even if they do a great job of hiding its origins.)

Oh wow, only the 100th person to make this thread, but this time it's for real!

There's really nothing special about 360s. The F1 cars are shitty to drive especially for going slow, the manuals are OK. They aren't very fast. Major every three years is $3kish, more for Spiders because it takes a bit to take the top out. Annual if nothing else is wrong is around $400. At this point though it's unlikely you will make it more than a year without something breaking, especially on F1 cars. F1 cars expect a $6k clutch job, $2k F1 actuator within a few years of driving. It's generally better to spend more on a perfect car, the used F car market is pretty smart and you aren't going to find a cheap deal on a car that only has cosmetic blemishes or anything like that, someone in the know will snatch any deal before it reaches the market. If someone approached me and said I could buy a perfect 360 for $20k but not be able to resell it I would say no without thinking twice. The price they fetch is propped up by the fact they have held value for years and people know they can resell them. It won't last forever, there's too many of them out there and they aren't great cars.

>Porsche
That is a big part of it, yes. If you were a fan of the design in a big way, I could see that as a benefit (you could vary lots of things while keeping the core look intact). As it is though, it's more like you describe.
550's and 575's do look pretty good. Budget wise, it's not that I couldn't drop 2 (like I heard I'd have to for a stick 430), it's that I would want a brand new car for that much. I curse their decision to discontinue manuals, but supply & demand is what it is.
I will take a look at the other cars you mentioned, am familiar with R8's.

I can assure you I'm for real. This may seem an odd place to seek info, but I've found valuable stuff on all these boards at different times.
As I mentioned to the above poster, I'm not stuck on 360's, it's more that that might be the next best thing in a Ferrari if I insist on stick and don't want to drop high $100,000's for a manual 430.

Thanks for your info as well.
Good stuff to know and much appreciated.

Get a plane instead - trainer jets can be had starting 40k

Rob Ferretti here, buy more of these shitbox 360s and drive the value up please, hey what are you doing, stop looking at 458s and come buy this meme era ferrari.

Sounds awesome until you realize how much it costs to actually house and maintain one.