Are Rota replicas really as unsafe as people make them out to be?

Are Rota replicas really as unsafe as people make them out to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

retrorides.proboards.com/thread/163310/kelleners-sport-alloys-5x17-super
lmgtfy.com/?q=Rota grid 4x108 +40
bloxsport.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Look at them. Just look.

Imagine what happens when you make them out of tin cans and stick a car on them.

No, it was one or two batches that had major issues.
Otherwise they are average and probably meet whatever basic standards there are.

You trust the Chinese that much?

no

theyre perfectly fine

rotas breaking are a meme and they meet all safety standards

They're made in the Philippines iirc.

Not really, but Rotas are generally an above average weight wheel.
They're not superlight so they don't need to be forged from high grade alloy.

Rotas being unsafe is like the Veeky Forums equivalent of /k/'s "glocknade" meme where every Glock ever made is going to explode and kill your family.

I wouldn't race or rally on them (some people do and have no issues) but their quality level is one of those overblown memes that people absolutely love to spout.

They're budget to moderately priced knockoffs. There have been QC failures on some models.

I wouldn't worry about using them on a DD.

While we're kinda on topic.
Will these rims spoil my gray Bx's retro aesthetic?

You can autocross them with no issues. Sure they might be heavier all round but unless you're in a pro bracket fighting for seconds off of your time it's not going to make the slightest bit of difference.

The whole "Rotas are unsafe" is hugely overblown and perpetuated largely by the lowest common denominator that couldn't afford real rims (surprise) and curbed the fuck out of them at high speeds and decided to blame the manufacturer rather than their shitty driving.

Granted they aren't as top notch as the authentic wheels but they certainly are not paperthin shit like every Miata forum makes them out to be.

Yes. Fit something more synthwave. Have you fitted a rev counter yet?

Does anyone know if the center caps of the real wheels would fit Rota replicas? I have a ton of old EQUIP centercaps and was just curious if they'd fit the reps.

Actually yes, I designed my own instrument panel using a bx GTI as a donor.

I'm losing my patience trying to find synthwave rims. I'm never 100% set on anything.

Rotas are fine, I run them on my car and smash into nasty ass potholes all day long with tiny ass stretched tires.
t. rota and bbs owner

Did you per chance remember me from a post where I asked about the Rev counter?

oh cool, how did you make it work? check ebay for retro wheels.

yes

that's even worse, what the fuck is your point?

I asked a friend that works at IVECO official service to help me out.
I'm not exactly sure on the details but he fitted a coil from the transmission to the dash.
Also a friend designed a cool faceplate for the whole thing.

Kudos on remembering me user, that was quite some time ago.

That they were made in the Philippines and not China? I wasn't discussing wheel quality.

from the transmission? was it reading off the flywheel or something?

Would you mind giving me some synthwave wheel suggestions?

I'll eventually be getting some for my aw11 mr2.

Off topic but do you think Equip 03s are appropriate on an MR2?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222239764470

As I say I'm not really sure, but initially the car had no way of measuring RPMs and this guy ran a cable from a magnetic sensor (he called it this) from some sort of coil.
I've never heard of any of this stuff.

anything four spoke, three spoke, or full dish

They're good for any 80s Jap

how do I pick out aftermarket rims for a (non-JDM) car without it looking rice? what sort of considerations should I give to style and design? what styles of wheel are less practical/mostly for show? pls halp Veeky Forums

>replica
Disgusting. How long ago did you lose your dignity?

>paying 2k on rims for a car thats worth less than 2k
No thanks brand shill go kike your shit somewhere else.

>I drive a shit heap but I'm going to buy rimz anyway
Do you have fake ray bans too? Fake iPhone? I bet you drive a Chrysler with Bentley grill lmao

>hurr I'm poor so fuck you for not being poor also

>putting aftermarket wheels on a sub $2k piece of shit

I stopped caring once I found out what BBS and Momo used to make their wheels.

>implying this is a problem
my suspension cost me 5 grand, my car cost 3.
who told you this was a cheap hobby?

Have you got a pic of what the dash looks like now?

>AW11

Jesus fucking christ I could cry.
It's fucking beautiful. I haven't seen one in person for over six fucking years man.

pls elaborate

Watanabes look good with low/offset offset

Leave your basement more often. I see them every week

Stupid fucking weaboo

retrorides.proboards.com/thread/163310/kelleners-sport-alloys-5x17-super

is not even that good looking

They'll meet "Road Safety Standards" but won't last long if you keep doing stupid shit like most OEM wheels. Reason why drifters buy em is because they want a decent looking wheel that's cheap because they don't want to unpretty a real wheel on the track though they'll last longer. hurr driftmissile lyfe style.
I'd might as well get Cosmis, still affordable and well made though they are made in Thailand they are supported by Advan.

No. It's just that their past fuck-ups have permanently stained their reputation. The only thing wrong with Rotas is that they're making money from stealing other peoples' designs and their wheels are heavy as fuck to make up for their cheap construction.

On the plus side, they're cheap, and so a good alternative to burning $1k-$2k on the real shit, especially if you just want it for the look on a shitty DD. It's also funny because it makes some elitist fags who did throw away their money on real wheels completely assmangled.

What are Rota Grids copies of? I really like the design but I'm not sure if putting Rotas on a car I want to take the track during the summer and autocross during fall would be such a good idea.

Te37

Volk TE37

Do they come in a offset of 40 at 4x108?

no. better off with some compmotives if you're a ford cuck

Check the rota website?????

lmgtfy.com/?q=Rota grid 4x108 +40

Already did, no 4x108 options at all.

I just like the way the style looks on MK1 Focus and I haven't seen much else that looks good on them.

Only other thing I would do would be OZ Superturismo WRC or if I can figure out the fuck OZ wheels these are in picture related.

I think he was asking about the TE37, better google that for him again m8

Meant these OZ wheels for the second part. Can only find them as 2002 WRC Focus wheels, might have been one offs for the season.

They're the same quality as a wheel you'd get on the car stock. The people who hate on them so hard are the ones who want to prove their Totally legit $1500/wheel setups are that much better than yours. No, they're not milled, yes, the more expensive wheels -are- slightly better, but there are teams that use Rota for motorsports like Drift, and track competition

You suck shit at searching, see
He was asking about the Rotas

I was talking about TE37.

I know the Rota comes in 0/40 4x108.

Get wheel adapters, these people will custom make whatever adapter you want and they are cheap.
bloxsport.com
They made the adapters fur my Volvo which was 5x108

A CHINESE REPLICA OF A KNOWN KNOCKOFF DANGEROUS WHEEL MAKER...HMMMM NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS

These look like oz chrono evo 2 pham

I did a bit of digging, found out they are OZ Magnesio. And I guess they are super fucking rare now.

The Chono spokes become more narrow as it goes towards the lip. While the Magnesio stay the same width. Which is something I find more attractive.

Nice I wasn't sure exactly what they looked like I just remember my friend had some 5 spoke oz on his car and they looked similar to that pic.

Why do you want to put expensive wheels on a Ford Focus

Rotas are heavy as fuck, but strong. People use them on drift cars because they're cheap and stand up to a whack.

Because I like the way they look. Why do you question my choices?

chrono evos in the right size or compmotive mo5s look pretty similar
fit some speedline challenges anyway. it's a better looking wheel.

the spokes on chronos look different depending on the size.

Because there is obviously a cheaper choice that will work for you, with the same look.

>trying to force a wheel on somebody who already knows what they want
Calm your fucking autism there mr fedora holy shit

>I want this expensive ass wheel because of the way it looks
>they don't make it for your bolt pattern
>I DONT CARE I WANT IT
>well here's a replica that will fit your car
>NO ITS NOT THE REAL THING

Oh and yiff in hell you shit dick fur faggot

If he wants the real deal let him get it, bolt pattern doesn't mean shit, I've redrilled the hubs on my festiva to fit the wheels I wanted, I bought adapters for my Volvo to fit the wheels I wanted.
When you decide on a wheel then that's the wheel you want and there's no reason he can't have it.

Looking around I can't really find anything. And the Rota is the cheaper choice over the TE37, Even more so now that they are not made in the correct size.

I never once said "I don't care I want it" I said it fucking sucks that they don't so I'll switch to a different style wheel, to turn around and find out that they are super fucking rare. And start to look at different options of wheels.

The Speedlines don't look half bad on the MK1 body though. Which they have a 4x108, now I just need to see what the offset is.

>wants the focus rs wheel
get the focus rs wheel then

The Focus RS wheels come across to 2D and feel like they have no actual style.

>literally a 99% exact replica of the wrc wheel

No they aren't, more like 80%. The edge of the spokes go into the lip on the WRC styling, on the RS styling it goes over the lip to create a flat surface.

Just go full WRC.

hey you know these are painted rs wheels?

>Wanting 20lb 15" wheels on your car

Why don't you just save your burger king check for one more week and get good wheels.

They're sure as hell ugly

No but it's worth modding the wheel (not the centercap) so they fit

some people just have different ideas of being a car hobbyist and different levels of financial committment to what they perceive their car to deserve. Btw wtf do you have? Penske shocks on a miata?

>some people just have different ideas of being a car hobbyist and different levels of financial committment to what they perceive their car to deserve.
Yet people think it's right to criticise someone for being more financially commited to their hobby than them

the money people waste on wheels and tires in a lot of cases is the amount it costs to piece togeather a turbo kit for your manual car

i would rather have a bone stock car with a turbocharger slapped on than some ricer

What turbo system costs only 2k to install????

SSR speedstar mk1

Assemble one yourself, don't buy overpriced kits.

Don't be afraid to buy used parts.

Even used parts aren't cheap plus they're usually sold together.

Probably not but those look gaudy as fuck. I'd imagine it comes from people who pay out the ass for the genuine article for how they look only to realize the shitty cheap replica is almost indistinguishable.

>stancefag buys genuine TE37s for muh fitmens and aesthetics
>ricer with Rotas parks next to him
>"Same wheels bro."

This IMO.

I have Sparco Terras on my Fiesta ST, which uses the same bolt pattern as the Focus. I can't find pics of them on a Mk1 hatch but I bet they'd look good, and they're cheap.

The most important part of any given turbo build, the turbo, is typically sold on its own. Go hit ebay or a forum for turbo or often turboed cars. 2k for someone with very mild skill and a good eye for used parts is definitely possible. Holset HX35s are available all day long on ebay for not more than $400, very reliable, difficult to damage, sized appropriately enough for a lot of jp 4-bangers and shit.

It won't be an amazing build with perfect spool because the turbo was selected and sized exactly for the application, but it'll make boost.