Burbons

Gunna get one of these as an ol' reliable. Did the 90s models come with a diesel?

Just supercharge it.

Want a diesel for reliability factor (doesn't need battery for operation).

Drop a 6.9 cummins in it
Then supercharge it.

>doesnt need a battery for operation
Pray tell how the fuck you gonna start it without a battery? Diesel powered starter?

No, but the engine won't be fucked if the battery dies, I can jump it, then go to a store.
Original only. No supercharger because this is reliability, not playtoy.

What do you mean "fucked"

B-b-but, supercharger

Most vehicles that run on gasoline can not operate without a battery. Diesel operates on compression instead of ignition. I can get a jump or plug in a quickstart (at home or a store with external outlets). It sounds dumb but it's just a practicality thing. Used to work on a farm, diesel is goat for reliability.

>it's reliable!
>what engines do they come with?
>engines get fucked if a battery dies!

You are a fucking moron

I like superchargers too, but reliability calls for elseware.

Well then teach me if you know so much user.

I know how engines work...just why can you not jump start the gas like the diesel?

If you want reliability you do not want a 6.5 GM diesel

They're not reliable, they make good power and it's a gamble if one will last 300k or throw a rod at 90k

You're better off with a 350 or 454. You won't get as good of mileage as the diesel but it will last and the parts availability is more than triple

*they don't make good power

Damn phone

Gas needs the battery for the plugs and such.

Why do you Americans always need to be so freaking American and shout to each other "HEY LOOK HOW BIG MY TRUCK IS, IT'S A MONSTER TRUCK LIKE MY MONSTER DICK AHAHAHAH" instead of getting a normal, reliable, good mpg, sleek car?

Thats a good way to fuck up an alternator. If the battery gets bad enough, but the alternator sill spins, you'll blow the diodes and fuck shit up.

Is there a method to prevent this? I don't plan on going anywhere quick, just to town and back once a day (about 6 miles).

Superchargers

Is current car. I want a suburban for reliability and transportation of my 4 nefews and nieces. Shut the fuck up you dense asshat.

Ah you mean while in motion.
Well the engine charges it so no problems once you have started it.
Ahhh you mean what happens if the battery dies and explodes or some shit!

.... Why would that ever happen, and more importantly, why is it the first thing you think about when choosing a truck for its reliability? There many other things in a car that break, and they all break much sooner than a battery.

There are incredibly good ways of having a good vehicle for large groups. None of them include a truck, especially for city driving.

Then again, I don't know if you go hunting or if you bring a quad around or if anything else that needs the large and open trunk, but apart from that...
Sweet car.

Not really
The most common failures are
-Injection pump failure caused by corrosion or non-contact between the pump and mounting surface
-Crankshaft failure caused by age related problems with the harmonic balancer or dual mass flywheel
-Cylinder Head cracking caused by a mix of old age, high mileage and high temperatures

Unless you find a very low mile or completely rebuilt engine, I would avoid it

Just a common problem in vehicle.
Live in an area that will literally destroy suspensions (at low speeds) so offroad ability is desired.
Engine rebuild isn't outside of my abilities, is it expensive for this specific engine?

I couldn't tell you. It's been so many years since I worked on one.

They're common so parts should be easy but it depends on your location and what you're wanting to do as far as new vs re-manufactured parts and if it needs machining or not

What about the two door Tahoes and Yukons? I love those things, wish Chevy would bring back those two door SUV's and hope the new bronco is two door and rugged

>Worries about a gas engine running straight off the alternator once every few years when the battery dies
>Doesn't worry about a diesel straight up not starting when it's freezing half the year

I live in south Texas.

I live in Texas where the lowest is 50 degrees.

They are considered but only the four door models.

If you maintain shit battery isnt a damn issue, your reasoning there is flawed as fuck. If you neglect it so much you have to jump it at home often or worry about a battery dying on you then everything else on the vehicles gonna be fucked too.

Don't get the 90s models, stick to an 81-91 square body model, stick to a small block 350 if youre just light using it and need reliability. Unless you're hauling serious shit there's no reason to aim for a diesel specifically or a 454, especially if youre just going into town and back periodically.

350s are diamond dozen, dirt cheap to repair and God forbid it ever blows up a full oil pan to valve cover just need intake and carb motor shipped to your door is $1500.

you'll never find a clean, low miles, diesel, 4x4, suburban with barn doors, from the 90s.

life sucks

Ill fix it. I don't want pristine. I want reliability.

Nothing wrong with the 90s models that isn't also wrong with the 80s models.

Both are great platforms, you just trade off the solid front axle in the 80s model for comfort, power, and economy in the 90s model.

Or you could throw a HP Dana 60 and 2000s disc brake FF 14 bolt under a 90s model and get rid of all the cons...

>6.9 cummins
Lel

Would disks really be that much better though? Only difference is dissipation of heat meaning drums will crumble in the races.

Go get a Honda Pilot

Haven't driven it enough yet to tell you.

>he doesn't know about the super rare stroked 6.7 Cummins

that's not how sparkplugs work, user

Well a fried battery on a gas = no go.

>He doesn't use the 4.0 Mitsubishi 6DR50A

For an 8,000lb yacht? No

Closer to 5k.

Source: borrowed op pic

Dude the 6.5 diesel is less reliable then the 350, why would you still want it if you only drive short distance and care about reliability

Shut the fuck up you stupid eurocuck.
We actually use trucks in America for doing shit.
We dont' live on a tiny 50 sq mile island, we live in a country where driving across it takes five days.

t. American who dailys a truck with a 6.0 V8 that gets single digit MPG's.

Reliability she says....

Come on now, search 6.5 GM reliability and you'll find its just not there... Most of the time diesels are more reliable but in this case it's just not. It's barley got more torque than the 350 and I think the 350 makes more hp.

Mpgs are a thing though. The 6.5 can't be that much worse than a 2.2L ecotech can it?

if you really want reliability then just get a ford with the 300 i6

did the 350 burbans come with 4l80 trannys? if he wants reliable, i might consider looking for that over the standard 4l60 in a suburban, regardless of the engine. i seem to recall they only came in the 454 and 6.2/6.5 versions, but there might be some HD burbans out there running a 350/4l80 combo

I knew I had a reason to want the diesel.

>nefews
Sounds like you have more than a "few" of them, user

I have a traditional family (they fuck a lot) so transportation is interesting.

it's common knowledge you moron people that have never even drove a damn car know that

Common knowledge to make sure I'm not looking for something that is plausible but not real? Batteries control cars now. Haven't drove? Dude I've put 5,000 miles on my tib in the last two months. I know about cars but I don't know everything like you claim to, you pretentious faggot.

I know you want a diesel. We all do, but please get a 350. The 6.2 is junky and no power the 6.5 is better in power but not reliability. You are looking at a small MPG difference in between the two but its honestly not worth the price and headaches of a 6.5. The people that do have 6.5's and 6.2's do love them but you have to remember they are a LIGHT DUTY diesel. They were NEVER engineered to become anything other than a variant for the military to run diesel in there CUCV's and stuff. Some say this is what makes them so good because the military used them for so long with not that many issues but ask the national guard mechanics and they will tell you whats up. Also remember the military loves the lowest bidder and that does not necessarily mean quality.

Also don't worry if it has a 4l80 or 4l60. They will all fail on forward gears if you tow in overdrive with a heavy load to make her slip.