Yo Veeky Forums never spent time here before...

Yo Veeky Forums never spent time here before, but I've had some problems with my car lately and you guys are my last hope before i have to take it to a shop. You see I have a BMW 528i with a tendency to not turn over. After replacing the starter the thing worked fine for all of 45 minutes. It's like every time i leave the car alone for a while it wont turn over, but I already replaced the battery so it's not that. Anybody have any ideas?

Bump

bump

>thinking Veeky Forums actually knows anything about cars other than benchracing stats

sorry to disappoint bud.

Uneducated guess is you didnt let the starter run long enough to charge the new battery, or you have some sort of cable problem.

will it crank? does it make any noise when you turn the key to start it at all? sounds like something is pulling on your battery that shouldn't be. do you have a multimeter?

I have a 528e with a major parasitic battery drain, which was pretty easy to tell since all the warning lights stay on. Yours do the same or similar?

Thanks m8. Guess i may end up at the shop.

If the starter is new and the battery is good, the last thing to check would be the starter relay.
Locate it (probably in the engine bay) and reseat it. Also check all of the starting system fuses and make sure both battery cables are tightly connected to the battery. A bad connection can wreak all sorts of havoc on a car.

Thats the thing. i replaced the starter because it wouldn't even try to turn over, but now it's doing the same thing. Like the starter wasn't actually the problem.

Also there is a method of testing the relay, but you will need two aligator clip leads.

Nothing really out of the ordinary. But the last couple of times I've tried the battery light has been on. Any way to test for a drain?

Pretty much just go over every fuse and relay with a multimeter and see if they're drawing current. Or look for parts of the car that stay on even with the key out. If the battery light is on though, that means your alternator is fubar.

My truck had this same problem. Does it have a solenoid on the side of the fender? Pic is an example of the solenoid. If so. Take the wires off of this and wire brush them so they made a good connection. Then do the same with the starter wires. They could be nasty and corroded. A bad ground anywhere can really mess up things and make you think you need to replace parts when all you need to do is brush off some corrosion.

Dat som ferd with a 300 cubic inch six?

I was considering checking that, but it runs fine while I'm driving. Never had it die on my once, just hasnt wanted to start lately. I tried the battery first, because if i jumped it off it started fine.

Your alternator is done. Check the belt is on it for a start.

The battery light means the charging circuit is fault, which typically means the alternator is shot, usually the rectifier pack on the back of the alternator.

Jump the car, then put a multimeter on the live stud on the back of the alternator and to ground with the engine running. Anything under 14v and you need to replace/recon the alternator.

ill have to check, it's been like 2 days since i even fucked with the thing. Thanks for the info though.

I thought the same thing when mine came on, but that light specifically is an alternator warning light. It could be a belt slipping, it could be a dying alternator, it could be anything. But if it doesn't stay on while you're driving, it should be fine, and more than likely just a drain on the battery while the car is off.

Thanks b0ss. I knew i could trust Veeky Forums you guys are the shit.

Idfk I just went to Google images. However I have a four pot ferd. It's a great truck, just needs a serious problem fixed. Burns tires like a muhfucker.

You're welcome friendo. If the thread is still up tomorrow post results.

Is the burning tires a problem? Cus thats just rad.

Will do.

No no dude. I'm surprised the bitch does it. But the problem is I drive on a hot day and it starts acting like it's winter and starts dumping fuel into the cylinders. I have no clue what to do. I was told to get a fuel gauge and put it on the lines, then drive around and see if fuel pressure drops then. If it does then I have an idea of what to do.

What year and model?

>alternator going bad

Moreover this usually doesn't warrant a new alternator. The brush/regulator assembly on the alternator is a servicable part. Just remove two screws and replace. It should run you about $20 vs $80+ for a rebuilt alternator.

Holy fuck you people.

It's almost certainly the battery posts are corroded.

does the engine turn? could there be a problem with the flywheel?