/CAR AUDIO GENERAL/

/CAR AUDIO GENERAL/

Discuss mexican approved neon stereos and argue about DIY Chinese amp setup's

Other urls found in this thread:

mr2wiki.com/MKI/Audio
amazon.com/Rockville-RW10CA-Profile-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B019Z3R582/ref=sr_1_26?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1473322460&sr=1-26-spons&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=pQyHFK6zGQA
crutchfield.com/p_142MAGRKI/Scosche-MAGRKI-magicPLATE-Kit-Black.html?tp=70493&awkw=105275497465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=59362348705&awdv=m
twitter.com/AnonBabble

my 80's shitbox has a Mexican installed JVC stereo and stock 80's speakers, and of course it sounds like garbage. Is it more likely the speakers are garbage or the stereo? I don't need hi-fi, but I would like to not have everything sound like a cassette. It's like the opposite of a dynamic EQ goin on when I listen to shitty stuff.

Speakers will be fucked after so many years. Jvc aren't bad for car audio, I'd rip it all out and reinstall it properly with new speakers. Won't be that expensive desu.

Friendly reminder that stock radio is best radio.

Retard questions:
Would it be a bitch to buy replacement speakers? Like are the specs generic or do I have to buy ones specific to my aw11?

Hows the audio quality?

They're usually generic, and I'm sure a quick google search of "AW11 MR2 factory speaker size" would yeild the answer you need. I'd be surprised if it didn't consist of 4" speakers.

>just want a double DIN unit that isn't $500 and riced out.

I might as well rebuild my current unit with a bluetooth adapter or something...

The least riced out double dins seem to be touch screens these days...
mr2wiki.com/MKI/Audio

I feel you user, feels good

What's a fairly inexpensive sub system that would put out decent lows? Don't want car rattling loudness, but just something that gives the low a little extra kick.

I have the worst aftermarket head unit in my car right now and I wanted to get something with bluetooth. The Pioneer DEH-X8700BT doesn't look like complete bullocks, or does anyone have a better idea?

Pretty much any inexpensive sub and amp.

holy shit that link is what I needed thank you

It's good. Right now Pioneer has some of the best stuff out in a long time, I do suggest them.

In a classic car for aesthetics maybe, but audio-wise, never.

Was thinking of this.
>Rx7 convertible, so not a whole lot of space.
amazon.com/Rockville-RW10CA-Profile-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B019Z3R582/ref=sr_1_26?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1473322460&sr=1-26-spons&psc=1

If that's really all the space you can spare, it seems solid. Obviously buying your own components and building a custom box to fit your car would get you better results, but if you just want a little more low end on the cheap that one should do fine.

Thanks user. Buying the car tomorrow, coming from a Bronco2 that has no system, so I've been living with a JBL Flip 3 for my speaker system for the past month. Don't need extravagant, just so long as I can play my eurobeat with a bit more ompf than a damn bluetooth portable speaker.

Does anyone know what the typical wire gauge is for the wiring harness on head units? I want to make sure the splicers I get aren't too big or small.

Speakers are usually 0,5-0,75mm2 while power usuaully is 1-1,5mm2

in other words, speaker wires are usually small, 16-20 ga, while the harness itself will likely be closer to 12-14 ga. best bet is to inspect for yourself. older and/or foreign cars might use different sizes.

Thanks user!

Thanks!

Hey guys. Whats going on in this thread?

Not sure what to do with my Toyota Avensis. Usually with all my cars I've changed out the stereo and speakers, added a subwoofer and amp.

But the centre console on here would look terrible with an aftermarket head unit, and the speakers really aren't too bad at all, but I think they are 6x9s and have too much bass for the doors, would be better with components and a sub.

I have this exact one. Owned it for two weeks now, very satisified. Plays nicely, has all the features I want and got it for a damned good price

I found out yesterday that you could customize the color completely, something that the norwegian manual didn't tell me. Feels so much nicer now that the color matches the rest of the interior and the brightness is much more dimmed

What brand makes the best speakers for overall performance? I'm not looking for a big sub to blast rap music, I'd just like to upgrade the sound in my 2G TL and replace the speakers.

Plebs who can't admit pic related is all you need

>stock """"entertainment system"""""" is so shit it can't even sync the clock to the dash
>no navigation no bluetooth no anything
>it's a $30k car from 2015

>all rear connectors are proprietary
>messing with the electrics voids warranty

just fucking kill me

Why do so many aftermarket single-dins have such amazing features, yet one simple thing they lack is the ability to actually display the clock when using the radio or an aux?

It's one major downgrade over an OEM radio. Change the channel/source and the clock comes back.

Most older cars that people generally want to put these units in have separate dash clocks.

I thought that was the case with the pioneer I got, but the option to show the clock at all times is hidden in the settings.

I really haven't seen a car with a separate clock since my grandmother's ancient cadilac land barge. I think every car made since the 80s had an all-in-one unit.

Makes sense though.

Thanks, this /seems/ to apply to Kenwood too. Apparently hitting the display button enough times changes the default display mode.

Shame so many of these high end radios lack good documentation. Who know's what fun things people miss out on simply because they don't know it exists.

Not my pic but my 5th gen prelude has a digital clock right next to the hazards button

>>he doesnt have a seperate clock in his japanese god musheen

Is DAB/DAB+ a thing in the US/wherever you are?

>Splicer

What the fuck man? Solder and heatshrink, no exceptions.
If you do not do a job right the first time, it will require you going back and doing it again.

That's what those are.

They're heatshrink with an adhesive lining and a circle of solder in the center. Does all three steps in one step. All you need is a heatgun.

Splicer is probably the wrong word, though they typically retail under various names.

youtube.com/watch?v=pQyHFK6zGQA

This is stupid, there's absolutely no need to solder in the cramped spaces of a car dashboard, there's no moisture present, a crimp is perfectly fine and all pro-audio installers use them.

New godmachine has a separate clock too.

I have a 95 taurus and bought a cheap stereo that amazon told me would fit, but i have no idea how to remove the old one and install the new. Literally cant find anything on this old piece of shit car

>doesn't know how use automatic climate control

Care to educate me?

Just bought this. Has NFC and Bluetooth, at least I can change the color to green. Installing this weekend in a 00 4runner

I'd have it set the same way too if I was a cool customer.

I have one. I enjoy it. I color matched the LED/LCD backlighting to my car's accent lighting which is a greenish color. Looks ///almost/// stock. But nothing was ever that shiny in a 1.5 gen Focus.

thoughts on android tablet in the dash, I want android auto but I don't want to spend $500

My Skyline has a clock within the tach gauge.

>CrO2
>Dolby
>digital tuning

What more do you need?

>inb4 Dolby C

Few problems with in dash Android tablet

1. Car gets too hot, battery might explode in your dash. I have also read that lots of tablets won't start up if the battery is over a certain temperature.

2. Depending on your specific cars mounting situation and your tablets USB plug location you may have to make some extra cuts and run some extra wires to make it work.

3. You will either need to keep your stock radio in your car and run an AUX cable from your tablet to your stock radio or run wires to a new amp. You could try to push back your stock radio in your dash and make room for the tablet, but that's not gonna be possible with most vehicles.

4. You could do what I planned on doing and simply affix your tablet in front of your stock radio with something like this crutchfield.com/p_142MAGRKI/Scosche-MAGRKI-magicPLATE-Kit-Black.html?tp=70493&awkw=105275497465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=59362348705&awdv=m now you can easily remove the tablet from your car to prevent theft and to keep the battery from exploding. But now you have a new problem, what are you going to to with that tablet when you go to the mall or something like that? Now you have to carry the tablet around with you wherever you go and that would personally annoy the piss out of me.

I originally wanted a tablet mounted in my newly purchased car, but have decided to just stick to using my phone. You could buy a Bluetooth capable car amp and use one of those mounting magnets to mount your phone where the radio would normally be and control it like that. Or if you don't mind carrying a tablet you could use it in the same way.

In every car from the tape-deck era and older, I agree with , but whatever you have sounds like cancer. Swap that shit immediately.

what car came with that from the factory? that thing is sex

What's a decent single din radio for my shit box? Don't plan to run an amp or a sub or anything like that. Only feature I want is line in and for it to work with my GM steering wheel controls.

>ford premium audio
O i am laffin

press the button that says auto

No shit.

A good butt connector with adhesive should work just fine. My speaker's butt connectors came loose after a while, but, I think they got loose cause the car rides a bit rougher than most, and I have stiffer engine mounts.

I like soldering wires and making harnesses look neat, so I solder everything on my car even though I have nice butt connectors.

If you guys want a good pack of butt connectors, Harbor Freight has a nice variety pack of heat shrinkable watertight connectors.

Rockford Fosgate makes some really good speakers, but it's gonna cost you quite a bit.

currently one in pic, it came from previous owner. using re-writable CD to change songs

looks great man

cheap used ones, cheap new ones, or try my car has no clock and it annoys the shit out of me

My local car audio shop currently has a 4-channel DLS reference for €80 off. Should I rewire my doors if I get one?

This looks close to factory. Not bad

it has a different name there

Yes

>no knobs
>hole cut in the dash for the input instead of mounting a jack on the panel
5/10 apply yourself

You will need a separate interface to retain any steering wheel controls and even basic warning chimes on GM vehicles.

Yeah, these are around $40-$50 and aren't too bad with the auto programming, but they add to the cost of replacing the radio (if you want existing steering wheel controls to work).

A second option is to not get a aftermarket radio and to just get a "remanufactured factory radio" which are on eBay and amazon.

It's just a standard factory radio that's been rebuilt with usually new bulbs, cleaned, and also an AUX installed on the faceplate. Not as flashy or cost effective as an aftermarket head, but guaranteed compatibility without losing features or compromising the car's retail value.

I have an SHO, so I'm not sure it's the same stereo, but same year. You have to stick wire (or a $1 stereo removal tool off ebay) into the little holes on each side of the stereo, then pry it out.

Never heard of those. Does that exist for Toyota basic HU's?

pee pee audio jack with audio qaulity of poo

The quality is fine, the 10% distortion at 8wpc is not fine.

Bumping this thread

weebs listen to weeb music, do you have furry music?

Almost all JVC and Pioneers display a clock. I have a cheapo JVC that does it.

I bought a twingo this week that has this exact unit in it. I like it. Mega Bass makes Super Eurobeat sound even better.

Fuck yes! More excited now for the install

bump