"underpowered"

Cars that you absolutely would love to own/love owning that have the reputation of being underpowered vs their competitors.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C7f9eZCQc4M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

240Sx
FRS/BRZ

Practically any V8 ever made.

Saw a first gen NSX for the first time the other day.
I already liked it but it looks even better in person desu.

> Bitching not boosting
> Complaining not camming

>Practically any V8 ever made

WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF UNIVERSE

It's true most v8s put into cars since 1970 are detuned.

Cars you wouldn't mind owning that have the reputation of being underpowered. I've always loved these too, but in terms of performance they are nothing to write home about. Was a mid 40k car but the top model had only 225HP.

That's why God gave us the LS

>Practically any V8 ever made.
not german v8

What exactly was the NSX's point? It's a slower car than it's competion and still got a wide acceptance. Can someone care to say why?

youtube.com/watch?v=C7f9eZCQc4M

>2016 4 speed auto corolla 128hp
>that you absolutely would love to own/
Oh, that's a criteria too? I was just gonna say toyota is the slowest but i'd never actually like to own one.

>What exactly was the NSX's point?
To do what Toyoty with their 450billion dollars couldn't do.

t;The operation was a success.

Style and reliability.

Think of it like Honda's pseudo-exotic answer to the MR-2.

And they're a fucking nightmare to work on

I saw an NSX in Maitland, FL a few weeks ago. I didn't notice what it was at first, I just saw a low black car with sharp lines so my first thought was maybe Corvette C4 or something like that. But it kept coming, stretching into view like some kind of crazy ass limousine as it turned out onto the road. When you're expecting a C4, an NSX looks like a really REALLY long car. We passed each other and I flashed my lights at him. He flashed back, and for a moment I felt like I was "in" on something. The NSX can do that if you want it to.

My thoughts exactly. God bless that man. One of the few people who does regular cars. Moat reviewers have switched to only new cars which most enthusiasts don't want or can't afford (or both, like me)

No it wasn't

It was a fuck you to Ferrari

That's a nice golf

because everyone is stupid except you

You had a lightweight, mid engined sports car, with the apparent reliability of a Honda Accord. The car handled better than most ferraris at the time, and so many car critics fell in love.
Having driven one myself, I can confirm.

>implying the just the thought of mr2 occurred during the entire NSX development cycle
Top Kek that unique and unmistakable brand of Toyfag delusion

Thanks for the answers, guys.

I can't believe someone did this! I mean, it also sounds 100x better with that engine and performs 100x too.

>You had a lightweight, mid engined sports car, with the apparent reliability of a Honda Accord.
Hehe..the Porsche Cayman cracked the code in 2000s.

I've owned 3.

A supercharged 2001
A bone stock 1991 (Sold to clarion for their clarion builds series)
A supercharged 1996

All black
One camel interior, one ivory, one tan

Ask me anything

>not doing both then bitching about idle issues

this
was the only correct one

A previous neighbor of mine owned a red, first gen NSX. I don't think I saw him drive it once in the 5-10 years that he had it and I still lived near him, so he kept it covered up in his driveway all the time. On the occasion that he uncovered it, it shined beautifully. I will always reget not asking him to at least let me sit in it (I wasn't big into cars back then).

Did you just compare a Honda Accord to a Cayman?

Top speed on the supercharged ones?
How much did you drive each of them?
Most/least favorite thing about them?

Nope. An NSX to a Cayman. Now don't call me a retard. I was meaning that Caymans are generally reliable, fairly affordable, engine in the right place and handles like a deer turning while being chased by a cheetah.

Fastest ever driven was in the 2001, topped the speedo out at 180 mph on a highway

All the time, to the YMCA, to taco bell, you name it

Favorite thing would be the interior lines, theres an arc that starts from the door cards and travels through the dash and to the other door

Least favorite would be that 99% of NSX owners are fuckboy gooks that dont know anything about cars

Or that the 1996 is batch fire injection so it kinda runs worse

>Favorite thing would be the interior lines, theres an arc that starts from the door cards and travels through the dash and to the other door

That seems to be a very popular opinion, and I can't say I disagree. Thanks for the info!

Yeah and remember that the NSX was made in 1990? It took Porsche a while to follow suit

FRS/GT86/BRZ easily.

Needs an additonal 150hp from the factory

I seriously considered one when I was car shopping. I wanted to like it so much, but at the price point. I think in due time though the 86 is going to become a very popular car to tweak as they get cheaper and cheaper in the used car market. It's light and RWD, not many options for that out there.

I agree. Might get one down the track when they're

That's because they excel in corners unlike your "appropriately" powered murribuckets that are only good for accelerating in a straight line. I can guarantee you that 280 hp are more than enough for a sports car unless you're stuck in fucking Murrika and don't get to drive your sports cars like sports cars.

280hp wont sell (non pleb) sports cars these days.

Thats the main issue

I love the NSX for its balance, which is why I would love to own one, but power is a component of going fast. Unless the track is unbelievably curvy where acceleration sections are non-existent or minimal, more power will always be advantageous. An NSX making 330HP will be faster than the one with 280HP. Or 400HP. Or 500HP. That's where the skill of the driver comes in to put it to use.

Yeah, but a 400 hp or 500 hp NSX won't be any more enjoyable than a 280 hp NSX on a winding road. If you're building a track car you're gonna tune it anyway, they simply don't need that much power from the factory for enjoyment on public roads.

Well when you talk about enjoyment, that's a wide open topic that will vary from person to person. I drive a 3700 pound GT with a V8 engine, and let me tell you, I love taking that thing through the country road twisties around my house. I considered several cars that were lighter and considered to handle way better, but what it boiled down to was I preferred the faster acceleration of my GT because it seemed more accessible to have fun with as opposed to something like a Miata that I would need twisties to make use of its wonderful balance, and hope to not run into anyone while I did and evaporate the experience. With my GT, just a little stretch of road and I can blip the throttle and put a smile on my face.

>It's a slower car than it's competion
Except it isn't.
It fucked the 348 up and the 355 could merely compete while being a moon-revving V8 that cost a house on top of the NSX.

It's extremely reliable, one of (if not the) best handling cars ever made (note handling, not just cornering speed), can be made very fast by just bolting on headers and a supercharger all while having big GT comfy seats and excellent visibility.

It's basically honda showing ferrari how to not be faggots.

See, you say that.

If you ever get the chance to drive a truly high powered turbo car you'll understand.
You can corner at a reasonable speed and then put your foot down coming out of it while tensing and preparing to hold your shit in when the turbo kicks.

If the NSX came with either the 3.2L Type R engine (340hp ish) at the start or had some early turbo goodness for 350hp, it would've sold more at the time and therefore be a bit more accessible for us peons in the now.

Yeah exactly. Sometimes I get a little confused about how high horsepower has to be equated with straight line performance only and that the car will corner like a brick. It's only a slice of the pie of a car's capability, and in the example you have given, contributes to the "power out" part of clearing an apex, which I loooooove doing in my big ol GT. There's just a great thrill in trail braking just right, hitting the apex (best you can on a public road anyway) and feeling the car smoothly transition out as you lay into the accelerator.