Dealership technicians report in...

Dealership technicians report in. I want to get a general consensus of how good the manufacturers are at the dealer level and how satisfied you are.

>Infiniti
They got a little bit Jewish on things recently but warranty still pays pretty well. Customers buy a good amount of services and most repairs. I work for an excellent auto group so that helps too.
Overall I'm pretty satisfied. I'm balls deep in the QX56 timing chain recall right now

Other urls found in this thread:

carcomplaints.com/news/2015/subaru-melting-dashboard-lawsuit.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Subaru reporting in. It's getting better in terms of interior. But we're getting bombarded with recalls.

Are throwout bearings prematurely failing on BRZs? Mine is shitting the bed at the moment and there are plenty of Google results of others having the same issue. I've never had to deal with it in any manual I've owned so I'm curious. 2013 6mt limited btw. Pls help.

Acura here.

This dealership in particular busts my balls. We're also balls deep in recalls and warranty work. It's about 25/75 on buying big repairs like steering racks. Brakes are done pretty often. NSX just dropped so everyone's pissing themselves over that too. Otherwise, I'm sitting here half the day waiting on a 0.6 airbag recall or some brake concern that leads to a warranty front brake job for 0.9

I am envious of Subaru guy because I have a WRX.

Are the claims on the TLX transmission overblown?

>tfw the Toy techs are too busy to post

We still have people coming in for that shit. Luckily I don't do those, I get stuck with the TL update and AT service. At least none of them have had a judder afterwards, I don't want to replace torque converters.

I honestly think it is, but I can get the PDF off of Honda iN network and you can read up on it.

What are cool perks of being a mechanic for dealer? You get huge discounts on buying new car?

Infiniti warehouse fag here
Not fucking looking forward to redoing half my shelves just to fit the new Q60 parts and that fancy fuck new engine for the crossovers.

Anyone else shitposting from the shitstool right now

That depends on who owns the dealer. Usually, kinda. You DEFINITELY want to find a local dealership network owned by some rich local family if you want decent bennies. This one gives me a huge discount on cars, and a hundo back on every payment.

At Acura you get to be part of an Employee Lease program, and sort of lower car prices, but that's about it. It's not like a buddy buddy deal where they sell you a car with 2k on it for 5k less. Here when we're done with work and off the clock we can work on our own cars and generally nobody says shit about it unless the owner niggers his way in here.

I generally just play games on my phone from the shitstool. There's two stalls so I can get away with being in there for a while.

This rich family is jewish as hell. We have to pay $5 a week for a coffee/water fund, and we can't get the bottled water from the front, so we're at the mercy of whoever feels nice enough for the day to put the water in the fridge that never gets cold. If anything goes wrong under our hands we pay for it (I had to pay $117 for a spare tire that I didn't catch on a used car inspection, co-worker had to pay for rotors and pads for something that was the service writer's fault, etc.) I'd talk to the people who work there before jumping in head first.

3 year Infiniti here
Should I apply for tesla abandon gas boxes and accept future?

How are the automatics on the TL and TSX? Generally not shit?

Generally yeah. They're pretty reliable. I see cars come in with 180k+ and their transmissions shift fine on test drives. Usually they're in for brakes or fluids.

Tesla has ridiculous expectations, fuck that company.

>BMW
>Not a tech, I do collision

BMW's are by far the easiest to get into (an 8mm socket and a clip tool will take the bumpers, fenders, liners, and all exterior plastic off), but the fucking hardest to do any deep work save Audi (fuck those).

Mercedes can all die in an electrical metal fire, everything about them is fucked forever.
People who work at our shop have quit Mercedes dealerships because they're so fucked.

Murrican manufacturers and pretty alright save the little quirks and goddammit Ford stop with the mile long Christmas trees.

Asian cars are alright if they're from Japan, but fuck anything expensive and Korean at the same time.

Massive BMW recalls too, literally thousands of child safety seat mounts welded in so far. "So far" meaning past 3 months.

GroupOne offers "$1000 over the literal bottom cost of the car" for our employees, but others differ. Co-worker of mine got a 2010 Challenger SRT8 a few years ago for like $25k shipped from New York to Alabama, pic related.

My girlfriend worked for Kia which was a part of Group One, and she liked it until the parts manager was a faggot and tried to make her a cashier instead of a parts runner. She quit after that.

In his defense, the main reason for delays in our body shop is the parts department. We had a guy who had been doing it so long that he knew everybody and could get parts delivered within hours with 10-second phone calls, and our boss fired him for basically no fucking reason.
We hired a guy from the counter, and now single parts take weeks to arrive- because he doesn't know anybody at all.
So yeah, anybody that doesn't have a magic book of problem solvers is considered nearly not worth hiring to me.

Is that a park acura shirt?

It isn't

She did her job, ran everything well before the day was over and did a great job, she doesn't fuck around on the job and took it very seriously.

I guess all acura tech shirts loo the same then

Yeah they swap ours at G&K all the time with the dealership up north, and they get nameplates so they just rip them off and give them to us.

>throwout bearings on BRZs
Aren't those a scheduled maintenance item on the BRZ?

I don't think so but they're notorious for squeaking. My FRS does it too so I'll take it in before my warranty expires in December

That's all fine and well, but sometimes it takes years to make those professional connections. (I'm assuming she hasn't been doing it for a decade at least)

quick question for the dealership guys

I had an apprenticeship for almost 2 years in a resto shop, but my old boss provided tools so I never bought my own. He started having a pill problem and everyone left, so I don't necessarily have a reference.

anyone have some advice about how I can apply this to getting into a dealership? now that I'm back in school I only need employment for maybe ~2 years wrenching before i get my SWE.

They claim wear and tear and it isn't covered. Mine started making noise around 35k and now at 70k it's fucked so I'm replacing pressure plate, t/o bearing, clutch, etc

Good luck. I don't think they'll cover it, but I hope you have more luck.

>Tesla has ridiculous expectations
Can you explain this in more detail?

Ayyy isofix bro. And Alabama bro it seems.

I'm on the tech side of BMW. Anything mechanical they need, no real issues aside from they expect things to go in and out with 1mm of space to work with. Big mechanical jobs are pretty easy though, dropping engines or changing a trans/diff/transfer case are all very simple.

thoughts on new BMWS, specifically a lower 3 series?

I have only seen one fail one a brz. Check your dealership to see of its under warranty. Or trade it in 2017 brz they look sick.

>envious of Subaru guy
I used to work for Honda but I left to go to Subaru. Honda wasn't giving me enough to do. Now that I work for Subaru these are My time cards. Pic related. today

hello 812

FCA here

Fiat sucks in a huge way. Warranty pays pretty shit most of the time and customers never get retail work done cause they're all fucking broke. I swear to god FCA is trying to put their dealerships out of business making us all jump through countless hoops for warranty and charging everything back if one duck isn't in its row. Wiring diagrams are usually wrong, service information fucks you over, technical assistance is a bunch of monkeys with no actual experience, one guy literally told me to "ask someone else" when I came to him with a problem that wasn't previously documented.

Life is good.

08 outback here.

my dash has a sticky residue on it that reflects light back onto the windshield, creating a shit ton of glare whenever the sun is out.

Still waiting for the recall letter.

carcomplaints.com/news/2015/subaru-melting-dashboard-lawsuit.shtml

It's 218 lol

I don't think their is going to be one. Your car is 8 years old. There would have been a recall by now. Subaru can just say it's old age or that you spent too much in the sun. And that's it. Don't expect it to get fixed anytime soon.

Buy an oem dash cover and forget about it.. Subaru also makes sun shades specifically for each Subaru model. Once again Subaru will just say you didn't have a sun shade and that's it.

Kenworth and Mack tech here.

Fuck volvo for completely ruining Mack. What was once a mediocre company is now completely fucking awful. Zero fucking room to access engine compinents, the diagnostic software is unreliable bloated garbage rhat has a 25% chanceof actually working correctly without crashing and their tech support is just plain.bad.

Kenworth is much better, their trucks are actually serviceable and their tech support is competent.

Cummins is by far the best engine to work on and diagnose.

has ANY buyout actually helped an automotive or truck company? ever?

GM tech here.

The dealership I'm at sucks ass. Wayyyyy to much drama. Fortunately it's a pretty good group of guys in the shop but our service advisers/parts people/sales are all pants on head mongoloid retarded.

Our warranty times are kind of wonky and we have lots of bullshit recalls but generally things are bad. Unless it's a Cadillac or rebranded cars. Like seriously Toyota get your shit together. Three different recalls on Vibe(aka matrix) passenger airbags. What the fuck guys

Also again, fuck Cadillac. I had a 2013 XTS the other day that the customer hadn't done any recalls on. There were 11 on the work order and nothing else.

things aren't bad*

I'm an idiot

That fucking blows. At Subaru I just do airbags, EPB and TELEMATICS recalls. Also our new recall which promps us to replace 5 electric relays. Pays .6 and you can do it in .2 shots cash. The air bags pay 1.8 when I worked at Honda the airbags payed .6 and .7

Ford here
>and also FCA
3.5 ecoboosts drive me to drinking. Constant warranty timing chain and turbo replacements. Just buy a 5.0 and enjoy reliable V8 power.
>FCA
new 5.7 timing chain recalls and constant takata airbag replacements. Not to mention the caravan auto trans pump seal recalls.
>just fuck my life up

Volvo just needs to get fucked, period. Their trucks the stupidest pieces of shit on the road, and I hope they die. The biggest problem with them is the fact that they use 13200# set back front axles that are ALWAYS AT 13200#. ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Owners can't keep tires on the fucking things and Volvo just goes "oh lol its the tires not the truck kthxbai". Nothing sucks more then selling steer tires to a Volvo owner, they'll be back in 50-100K Km because they've already fucked the tires and they want warranty.

Some of our recalls are money though. On a few vehicles they had us remove the SIR connector from under the seat and crimp and solder the wires. They paid anywhere from 1.6 to 2.9 depending on vehicle. Now the longest it'll take me to do even the hardest ones is 1.2 for both seats.

Of course that means when you have to remove the seat you've got to cut the wires and do the recall again when you put the seat back in. Thank god I'm good at taking apart seats in car

How hard is it to get a mechanic job part time as a student?

Tesla

Really like it, they ask a lot of you but it's hourly and the work is enjoyable. Try it out if you are good at diag/comfortable with computers

How much electricity do you produce per hour? I imagine after shocking yourself so much you just start to naturally produce the stuff.

There's a lot of redundancy preventing that from happening, you would have to be doing a lot of stupid stuff at the same time

Holy shit, I am so glad to work at my auto group.
They provide us literally with everything down to penterating oil, brillow pads for our angle grinders, etc. I even get new batteries for my torque wrench free of charge.
As long as we don't break shit too often, they have policy money set aside to cover us.
Free coffee and sodas from customer lounge. Shit I even get the girls at the cashier desk to give me a lindtor chocolate truffle every now and then that are reserved for customers at check out.
They cooked us steak and gave us beer last night for having a record breaking month.
I mean I'm probably forgetting shit, they do so much for us. I'm spoiled as fuck.

They do ask a lot of us though. A lot of techs in the business wouldn't make it where I am.

Holy shit I legitimately haven't laughed that hard all week.
Top fucking kek.
You'd have a better chance fitting your dick through a keyhole.

11 recalls on 1 car?
What werethey?

>ford
>awful

Nothing beat gluing patch panels on along with a bunch of self tappers on these shitty Freestars, along with the torque convertor recall

Or windstar subframe mounts and rear axles

Or Fusion headliners

Or 1.6 Escape rebuild kits

Or the million of other shitty recalls I've tried to drink away.

I..I'm I seeing the inside of the car through the wheel well?

Yes, the issue was that the 3rd row seat would no longer have anything to latch onto.

A recall doesn't mean it's the same kind of giant recall you see on the news. There are recalls/service bulletins on tons of things, could be stuff like incorrect sunvisor sticker or a seal fit issue you where you spend 5 seconds putting a piece of butyl behind it. Toyota is really aggressive with stuff like this, obviously it doesn't mean their cars are garbage.

Warranty/recall times pretty much suck for every brand unless you find a trick that maybe lasts a few months before the people who determine the hours find out about it. Flat rate sucks, it's bad for everyone involved, customer, tech, shop, it really shouldn't exist, there's no other field that operates in the same way.

What year car is that?

And the fix

They weren't all that bad, but it wasn't uncommon to see a giant hole where there shouldn't be one.

The worse thing is that the majority of these Freestars are owned by the scummiest niggers and fat single mothers and there would be half eaten burgers and fries and little kids shit all over and they'd all smell like pure shit. So much fun to pull out the seats and roll up the carpet and take the side panels off in those things. Fucking disgusting. So glad I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore.

Would have been a 04-07 and the recall came out in 12 or 13.

What the FUCK

Lost.

>Part-time
>Student
Forget dealerships. Go to a sears or ntb while your a student.

I am not automotively inclined, but if one were to own such a rust-bucket and happened to bottom out that travel, how likely is the spring to SpaceX?

>and the fix

What is ntb?

an incredibly jewy tire/battery/quicklube shop.

Oh okay thanks I live in a somewhat rural area never heard of that shop before

What? That car is structurally fucked isn't it?

4th year Lexus tech here. Pretty happy with Lexus and the dealership. Warranty pay in general is good and the customers are above average for sure. Management kinda sucks and would be better off staying in their offices. Working hard definitely pays off, the lazy guys perpetually complain and get mad when you do better than them. Flagged 70 hours this week only working 4 days, though I'm one of our top 3 producers.

Tell me more about your experience with the cadis please, specifically the ATS.

really? Nissan here. We have to do transmissions and motors at cost. GTR shocks, driveshafts and Bell housings are the only warranty work we make money on, standard cost +40

Only way is to start off as a lube tech, if they like you they will let you take tests to level up.

Jokes on you I put my dick in keyholes all the time

>Still a hole all the way through the car after the fix
Jesus Christ, who's idea was that?

What's the deal with wrx motors blowing up and SOA putting their hands up and saying 'lol dunno'. They did that to me even though I had zero mods and impeccable service records. I was under the 36k full warranty. They refused to cover it and instead made the dealership do it as a 'goodwill' repair. Are they gaming their warranty statistics or what?

Fuck Subaru.

Explain more please. I just bought a truck with the 5.0 because Fuck turbos. Everyone online (forums) and in person ecoboost owners that I talk to are in serious denial about the reliability of the turbo. It's like Ford cast some kind of apple-esque reality distortion field to trick everyone into believing small gasoline motors with turbos to cheat their way to decent power can ever be reliable.

What are the warning signs for ecoboost death?

How reliable is the 5.0? Mine has the tow package so it's got the engine oil and transmission coolers.

Thanks!

>Warranty/recall times pretty much suck for every brand unless you find a trick that maybe lasts a few months before the people who determine the hours find out about it. Flat rate sucks, it's bad for everyone involved, customer, tech, shop, it really shouldn't exist, there's no other field that operates in the same way.

My dealership tries to disqualify in-warranty items as much as possible so that it can do the same repair out of warranty, thus charging the customer instead of the manufacturer for the fix. It's much more profitable for them.

She didn't but was running with someone who did.

Dude at least you get work. I had three cars on a Friday. At least one was a CP front brake job for 2 hours.

Iunno, I got a letter last year on my '10 MS3 for the melting dash. I'd take it in to see if it matches the VINrange or something.

dont know. im guessing you have a hatchback one from 12. my dealership has like 4 in the back with blown motors. usually rod 4 busting through the head of the piston i work a dealership bro im not subaru of america.
matches vin range for what? i told him their is no recall there is nothing to match.

>being a lazy partsfag
must be nice to get paid more than a tech for half the work

former honda/vw dealer here

how is it at those places? I was a quick service chump who management wanted to pull into the main shop but after being a flagfag and putting up with the silly ass politics (yes even quick service gets bs, but at least we dont do much warranty bs at all) I saw that main shop was the same yet worse so i eventually left for an indie shop.

kek, do crv heater cores still pay 4 hours under war?

this, friend of mine used to work for mazda now he started at tesla recently and was actually on a tour of their cali factory last week or so

>euro cars
>italian euro cars
you fucked up user, time to find an indie shop

desu i think its just euro companies ruining american companies and vice versa.

euros being autistic retards who cant make a reliable, practical car and american companies being straight jews with regards to design and support.

I wish japan collaborated with these retards like nuumi and DSM, although DSM was one of the worst japanese brands for reliability joining up with a cucked chrysler who cant run their own shit

Worked for VW as quick lube. Fuck those '15+ GTIs and their gay ass plastic oil pans. And those riced out Golf R/R32s.

>plastic oil pans
I LITERALLY CALLED THIS SHIT HOLY FUCK

I was chatting with one of the flag fags about stupid plastic shit and i said i guarentee withen the next 5 years these stupid kraut niggers will make oil pans and transmission lines out of plastic and they will be complete trash

I also hated when stancefags came in to get their oil changed or worse, tires changed with their stupid fucking aftermarket lugs and razor sidewalls

Some cuck in a stanced R32 had porsche wheels on his R. We laughed so hard at it. Then one of the guys with an Evo ran him after he left the dealership and ripped him a new asshole. Didn't see him again after that hahahaha

But yeah, they also have PLASTIC DRAIN PLUGS that go in maybe one turn and have an o-ring on them. So ridiculous.

Oh yeah and I worked for Mazda for 4 days but the 'preventative maintenance' there was highway robbery so I jumped ship.

Kek, it really makes me mad to continuously see how shit new cars are while my 300k mile 245 keeps on going without issue. Oh how far we've come; what a disgrace.

New cars are such a ficsade of progress in every aspect.

What's sad is that it seems like shit is meant to break at a certain interval. So if you don't take care of an already costly service ($400 for a 30k service is absurd) you get to pay even more for what happens when you neglect it. Stupid.
Not to mention cutting corners at every possible moment. VW with their rear main seals, Honda with their p/s pumps and racks... it's gross.

>Plastic oil pans

Only the Germans.

Planned obsolescence.

It's about profitability, not a quality product that people can rely on.

Adam? You where supposed to do my braided lines on my 2016 wrx

God damn it. Fuck today.

Tesla definitely seems to be the way of the future. I don't like the way Elon Musk envisions the future of automobiles. I reject his ambition to anhiliate private ownership and nonautomation, so I refuse to ever work for Tesla.

Infiniti started this garbage with the new 2.0 and 3.0 turbo engines. RIP reliable VQ platform. It's all Jewish plastic from here on out.

free inspections....
FREE INSPECTIONS
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ugh. I'm doing airbags on this?