I'm not much into muscle cars but твн the Charger SRT Hellcat looks like an awesome car

I'm not much into muscle cars but твн the Charger SRT Hellcat looks like an awesome car.
But why does it weigh 2.25 tons? That's ridiculous. Imagine how fast it could go if it weighed something NORMAL. Right now it gets 0-60 in 3.4. I imagine it could probably outrun a Porsche if it wasn't so pigfat. And I bet that weight really screws the handling. That's my problem with muscle - I've heard that they don't handle well. And I imagine a 4,585 pound beast certainly isn't going to. Imagine how well it could handle if much of that weight was taken off of it.
It's so close to being more than a muscle car. Why did Dodge do that? It could have been a supercar.

Old platform had to be beefed up to meet modern safety standards. Next gen is going to drop a LOT of weight.

It's supposed to be a comfy car for cruising that happens to be somewhat quick. Same as the original charger. It's not supposed to be some stripped out track special.

Let me guess a Bentley is too heavy for you too?

Because engineering shit to be both strong AND lightweight is extremely expensive. Sure, maybe we could've had a 3200-3400lb FR sedan with 707 horsepower with a chassis that could handle all of that torque and could actually put that power to the ground without spinning tires all day long... but it would also cost you 6 figures.

This pretty much. Pick 2 of the following as a general rule:
>Power (hp/torque)
>Performance (turning, weight, trackability)
>Price

>it's supposed to be slow

You mean "dodge is trying to cut manufacturing costs and our lines aren't tooled for your freaky bird-inspired weight saving shit "

That fat, slow piece of shit is still faster than whatever your pathetic country has to offer. You're getting over 700hp for $70k. That's like complaining about a cheap and delicious fast food burger.

A bentley is not a Muscle.
It's luxury.
Chargers are not luxury. They're supposed to be performance vehicles.

Have you seen how big Chargers are irl? They are only an inch and a half shorter than the SWB Merc S class

Muscle (especially muscle sedans) are supposed to be quick in a straight line at the lights or down a highway, but also comfortable enough to cruise about in without feeling every bump in the road.

You could probably remove a lot of weight from it if you really wanted to.

>somewhat quick
>700+ hp

i fucking hate this board

700hp isn't a lot for a civilized country. Stop being poor.

Price. If it were around 3500lbs (which isn't even light) and still managed to make 700hp it would probably end up being near $200k because of how expensive the lightweight materials required are, plus the R&D into stuff Dodge doesn't have experience with.

>because of how expensive the lightweight materials required are

>drive 99 pontiac trans am
>its 3450lb fr V8 with a live rear axle

>Doesn't have 9000 speakers
>Doesn't have 9000lbs of sound deadening
>Doesn't' have usable seats in the back.
>Not anywhere near as comfortable

Don't be retarded and compare 20 year old cars with modern ones. A model T weighs less than your car, what's your fucking point?

So many autists on this board think people only want to drive spine bruising cars concerned with lap times.

>>Doesn't' have usable seats in the back.

yes it does

>doesn't have 9000 speakers

it has like 10 from the factory

>not anywhere near as comfortable

not anywhere near as heavy

>Chargers are not luxury. They're supposed to be performance vehicles
It performs in a straight line, as nature intended.

Muscle was made for long American highways.

>m...muh handlings f...face in the corners b...b...bro!

Big numbers make it a dyno queen off the shelf.

hellcat runs 10s with street tires
is perfectly reliable and god tier dd
plenty more power to easily be had
and fairly cheap for a car of that level

>for example sl63 is twice the price and although its waay more luxurious its expensive to maintain and not a great choice for dd duties

rattling piece of shit

when i got the car i gutted it and pulled all the sound deadening and insulation out.

>then dynomatt'd the entire car

it smooth and quiet. doesn't rattle at all

excellent daily driver

Not into muscle cars but uh yeah the #1 car marketed to ignorant retards like me is getting me interested...

wew
Veeky Forums is easily triggered, isn't it?
First I set off and now you.

:^)

This clearly isn't the place for serious discussions

Neither is your 100hp Civic shitbox

Still more than your twingo/bus.

>bus has less horsepower than a civic
You really are a drooling fucking retard lmao

>Live in Netherlands

>Charger hellcats are 200k

Just.

>You're getting over 700hp for $70k.
Whoa

I could get 1000 for $20k if i wanted it in a heap of shit too, dickhead.

Oh yeah, what exactly would this car look like? And it needs to be reliable and street friendly.

Dickhead.