Dangerous FWD situations

is it true that there are situations in which you actually have to slam the gas instead of the brakes in order to prevent the car from getting out of control?

how is this supposed to work when most sub 300hp FWD shitboxes have gas response times that would make the engine spool up when it's basically over already?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S5NWcdq4Wf4
youtube.com/watch?v=7T5NhhQJYe8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you ever driven a car?

You must be joking.
If you feel the car is getting out of control you have to slow down, meaning you hit the brakes.

Name one specific example where you'd have to accelerate instead of braking to prevent the car from getting out of control

Oversteer, in a FF power will straighten the car.

If a FWD car oversteers the best way to get it straight again is to slam the gas

>never driven a car

PC benchracing doesn't count

Well driving a RWD car it's more about not letting off the accelerator abruptly. If you feel the car starting to slip sideways, keep your foot down and let off slowly. Smooth and progressive.

Similar things happen to a FWD car with bald rear tyres losing grip in a roundabout in the wet...

>If a FWD car oversteers
Only time this ever happens is momentarily when people encourage lift-off oversteer which both looks and feels dumb

Oversteer, yes.

And no, they don't. You just don't drive a slushbox autotragic, and slam it into a lower gear.
Or just don't lift off on turns and the back end won't get out of control. Enter slowly, power through. Exactly what you DON'T do with RWD.
FWD is very forgiving, especially with electrnic aids.

Said like someone who's never experienced lift-off oversteer.

Getting the popcorn ready.
Veeky Forums is always a clusterfuck when it comes to physics

FWD is always

>mash gas
>turn wheel in the direction you want to go

If you can't turn the wheel anymore though you're fucked.

I have driven my current FF for 157k miles and through 6 winters, but keep projecting. Next thing you'll say is you can't get a FF to oversteer without using the e-brake.

Also I've owned 4 RWD cars too.

Strictly speaking, FWD only oversteers with abuse of braking.

Or lift off oversteer, or a scandinavian flick. Trail braking or using the e-brake aren't the only ways to get FF sideways.

Thanks for trying though.

Clearly never driven an FWD car over 30mph

That's not a FWD car

>have gas response times that would make the engine spool up when it's basically over already.

What the fuck are you even trying to say?

>

A blown tire requires steady accelaration so the car doesent off road/ flip.
Wet pavement/oversteer is safer if you don't touch the brakes.

AWD cars only go around corners with some throttle input. If you coast they understeer

Hes a dumbass kid trying into car

example:
ripping up a hill and turning in too sharply, so I lost traction out the back wheels (bc stiff stock sway bar I guess) and began to slide so I flicked it the other direction to pull myself back up the hill

how my wheels losing traction happened I have no idea because the road wasn't exactly level but I basically scandi flicked myself around a turn going uphill

This

Why are you hitting the gas pedal anyways? shit's dangerous

Braking as in losing speed, dumbass. Going faster in a FWD car won't cause oversteer. It's taking the power OFF that's the issue.

Clearly, you've never owned a car, busrider.

>gas response times that would make the engine spool up
>engine spool up
>spool

Driving a car is too dangerous

>is it true that there are situations in which you actually have to slam the gas instead of the brakes in order to prevent the car from getting out of control?
No?

found the busrider

>this whole thread
no wonder Veeky Forums hates fwd, they don't fucking know how to work it

>Drive FWD corolla econobox
>Understeer on rainy days all the time

????

here is how it works
>inna 160 hp 700kg shit box
>60/40 fr
>drifting like a mad cunt at 150 kph when the gearing only goes up to 180
>the light part of the back pivots around the heavy part and you fly backward into a tree

AWD unsdersteer. Give it some gas and it'll pull it through the corner.

Does that surprise you? You tell Veeky Forums something is bad and they will be an echochamber.

Steady braking is actually the best solution

getting gud with fwd or awd falls into the "too hard" box

I was sliding around a corner in a FWD S60 in the winter, and had to power over to make the corner without just sliding straight into the curb/snow bank. If I had hit the brakes I would have just kept sliding into it.

Fuck off idiots

>dat busrider frustration

He could have avoided that by simply using the brakes.
Will they ever learn.

quit crying

>PLZ SLOW DOWN

Looks like the driver intentionally upset the balance of the car to dorito through that bend.

its not like drift drivers intentionally induce oversteer, then power through it while steering or anything.

I think he's talking about turbo lag for some reason

>everyone except me is wrong
>doesn't actually explain why anyone is wrong

this

>If I had hit the brakes I would have just kept sliding into it.
I did exactly this in a fwd s80 once

>FWD
>AWD
>RWD
Slamming the brakes in any of these during any situation is generally poor form.
It's not black and white, situations always require variation of steering and drivetrain control as an incident progresses.

A little throttle in any car will help straighten it out from oversteer, because it will shift some weight towards the rear wheels. The difference is that putting too much gas in a powerful RWD car will spin the right wheels creating even more oversteer, but with FWD you should be able to slam it without consequence.

troll

No. If you are in a situation where the car is going to go out of control it probably will and there is nothing you can do to stop hit, just hope you don't hit a tree.

>be me
>be new driver years ago
>pissing down rain
>u turn at large roundabout
>auto awd subaru
>started oversteering
>gave it a little throttle
>understeer
>panic
>let off power
>oversteer again

heres a perfect example of liftoff oversteer in a Subaru, where planting the throttle would have avoided it totally.

youtube.com/watch?v=S5NWcdq4Wf4

Uh, oversteer I guess. I easily get the back end out doing weight transfer slides around corners on backroads, fun as fuck in the snow too.

Fwd doesn't get squirrelly on dirt and snow as easily, at least not a light kinda very underpowered EG.

The only thing that will quickly save an oversteering FWD car is applying enough power to speed the front axle to the point it returns to pulling the rear axle behind it again. If you continue to leave your foot off the gas, or worse (apply the brakes), you will further promote the free-rolling rear wheels wanting to overtake the front wheels, which are having their forward motion being pushed back on by engine compression and rest of the driveline.

Here's a good example:

youtube.com/watch?v=7T5NhhQJYe8

>slam the gas
No.
There's rarely a situation you have to do that in.
Under steer is manageable in most FF cars as long as you obey the car's limits.
I hit a turn at 90 MPH the other day, car handled it fine but I was a bit jerky with my delivery

> what is a Scandinavian flick
Kys dude

this.

It's the same practice with towing a trailer, if you feel or see it starting to wobble, you increase throttle to straighten it out.

I once drove on gravel and found a nice open curve where you could see oncoming cars. No cars around so I decided to do some hectik scandinavian flicks. I quickly turned left following by laying off gas and turning right. Noticing that I had bit too much momentum so I panicked, slammed the brakes and countersteered. The car snapped and now it was oversteering towards left. I still kept going and it snapped again. This time I ended sideways in a ditch. Nothing happened to the car since I had managed to slow down the car quite a bit but nevertheless I remain positive that by countersteering and hitting the gas I could've managed to avoid the ditch alltogether.

You have to slam the brakes and wiggle the wheel.

Slamming the brakes and wiggling the wheel always helps

If I even halfway try, I can get my FF car to do hektik skidz whenever it's rained and roads are wet.

But can you do it without deceleration to destabilise the back end?

>*GASP*
>OH NO
>OH NO

Ruralfag here. Accelerating before hitting a deer will slightly raise the front of your car, decreasing the chance the deer goes over the hood and into your windshield. Conversely, braking and lowering your hood will fuck your shit up. But it's almost impossible to react that way.

driver sounds like such a little bitch saying it too