Was the 86 a mistake?

Was the 86 a mistake?

It's basically an overglorified bloated miata.
It looks way faster than it actually is.
Tons of carbabbies pick it up because it's cheap and then rice them out.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cVyBaX6sCd4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Was the 86 a mistake?
No.

It's supposed to be an affordable sports car for owners to modify as they see fit. A modern S-chassis with aftermarket options plentiful enough to bankrupt Soros if he tried to go through it all.

Unfortunately being affordable attracts retards. And people who can't afford a car in the first place talk about how it sucks because

>muh lap times
>muh 0 to 60

It's also an amazing driving AND passenger experience.

Clarkson said it's fun to drive.
I trust Clarkson more than you.

The Gt86 is the Sega Dreamcast of the car world. On it's own merits, it's a cool system and a dose of fresh air, but then...

The PlayStation 2 came out and rendered it obsolete without a power bump.

i sat in one once, and it felt super tight inside... a little uncomfortable

>sports car
Fucking rofl

No. Learning edge/loss of traction dynamics in a v8 is stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=cVyBaX6sCd4

>I ride the bus and can't actually comprehend what driving a car is like so I have to base all my onions around numbers
Track times don't mean shit in the real world

>197hp """"""""sports car""""""""
Keep clinging to the driving feels, user. They're all you have to justify spending 25 grand on a sub-200 memecar LOL

Since when do you need very high horse power to make a sports car? Sports car aren't, or at least don't have to be racing oriented...

Reported

Don't most Japanese sports/tuner cars make less than 200hp stock?

A quick search says Silvias and Datsun's were around 160, and the AE86 pounded pulses with 120 in Japan, 110 after emissions in the US

Some people prefer light, nimble cars that handle well and give feedback through the wheel/gearbox/pedals so you improve your driving.

Others just do burnouts and argue about horsepower. These people like to troll the first group.

It sort of gets boring listening to "muh hp" threads all day.

See

Why isn't a factory supercharger/turbo a thing in this car?

Why didn't they use existing 4 banger engines with similar displacement and more potential?

It's 2016 not the early to mid 90s' there's no reason for it to be this mediocre (powerwise, it's a fun car and you can't really take that away from it)

It doesn't have to have a V8 to generate power you flaming faggot

Because then it would no longer be cheap.

The whole point of the car was that it was for tuners. Most people here intentionally miss that point.

But it isn't designed for "tuners" the stock compression ratio is 12.5 which is fucking terrible for anyone wanting to do anything without going balls to the walls with it

the reason is the price
name a faster RWD 2+2 car currently being sold at this price
no supercharger/turbo to save on costs
as for the engine choice, Toyota messed that up by working with Subaru

Ye it's hilariously slow

reliable 300whp for four figure dosh... you dont know what youre talking about

My flatbed tow truck must be a sports car then, it has 300 HP

true a GT86 can't read DVDs

>IT'S
>THE
>CURRENT
>YEAR

How is it going to be expensive for Subaru/Toyota to source a generic SC12 for this day and age (literally going to cost them fuck all, they don't pay what you do for parts why do you autistics not get that)

the fuck are you even saying? You could get literally any vehicle on the planet to 300whp with $9999

>300 horsepower for $9,999 or less
>I can get 300 horsepower including the price of the car for under $2,000

>spiritual successor to a corolla
>surprised that it's slow
Idk what people were expecting

>300 horsepower for $9,999 or less
about 4k but okay

>muh pigfat american pieces of shit
roflmao

cost for engineering the engine to last while under forced induction. more complicated assembly line. more workers. more vendors to work with.

Nope, pure glorious nipshit. Hell, I could do it with gookshit for even cheaper. It's like you're not even trying.

I got to drive one last night.
It was alright. Would have been GOAT... If it came out 20 years ago.

Lmfao listen to yourself.

>Was the 86 a mistake?
Not making a turbocharged version is a massive mistake.

Bench racers were a mistake

Bench racers are the reason this memecar is so "beloved"

benchracers are the ones posting laptimes on Veeky Forums while actual racers are buying frs/brz "memecars" and racing them on weekends

its already been 4-5 years and toyota/subaru sold 75-80k of them alone i'm sure they know more than anyone itt nothings gonna change no matter how many threads you make about it

>More workers
fucking retard
>More vendors to work with
they already work with these vendors, it's literally as difficult as checking a box
>Engineering engine to last
Everything's already forged apparently from the factory, regardless it doesn't magically age more because FI if engineered correctly and maintained correctly

No, benchdrifters and benchtougers are the ones that like it.

>The whole point of the car was that it was for tuners
Is the ecu open source?
Will modifying the car void the warranty?

Who buys a new car to modify it?

>swathes of retards bought into an overpriced meme
>t-the car is good guys, I swear!
Lol

>Tons of carbabbies pick it up because it's cheap and then rice them out.

I thought you kids were constantly complaining about the ~26k sticker price when they came out? Sucks to be poor I guess.

26k for a 200hp rwd car is a joke. It's nothing to do with me if people wish to waste their money on overpriced crap. This car is principally no different from an iphone.

>Tons of carbabbies pick it up because it's cheap and then rice them out.

Case in point right here.

why does this car make Veeky Forums so buttmad

3k more and you get a 330hp 370z

lmao

>Was the 86 a mistake?
Yes it was. It was slow when it hit the market in 2012 and it's even slower now relatively speaking. The refreshed 2017 model hasn't proven to be any faster either and don't even get me started on the interiors of these cars.

For every single metric you can compare these cars against, there are better cars. Pretty much everything at the same price point is faster: Miata, WRX, Mustang and Camaro in base trim are all faster in a straight line and around any note worthy road course.

Need a trunk and back seats? Mustang and Camaro both offer similar amounts of space or get a WRX which has space for people with legs in the back and is faster.

Want a drop top? The answer is always Miata.

About the only thing the 86 has over other cars is looks and they still got that wrong with that insane wheel gap and stupidly high offset wheels.

The only way I could feasibly recommend one is to pick up a cheap used early model because the value is dropping like a stone but even then I can't really recommend it because you know they've all been modified and beat on and the engines don't last. If by SOME miracle that you find a clean, low mileage example for really cheap, then go ahead and pick one up and throw on a turbo, some decent wheels and lowering springs and THEN you might have something worth driving but of course because you've modified it, don't expect shit all for resale value.

>wanting to pay $29k Renault-Nissan

Veeky Forums kids are really this dumb

>paying 26k for a 200hp meme
Ur dumberer

Because Toyota/Subaru didn't make something better when it's 100% within their power

>Update 3SGTE
>Throw in GT86
>Fucking spend the R&D money on cocaine

???????

>mad poorfag

Sorry you can't buy new cars in cash like me.

>those swirls
>those stone chips
>those scratches
>that discolored rubber waterproofing
That car ain't new kek

Dont talk about your bus like that, assmad poorfag

Similar to how I feel about your mother.

user you're so silly wahaha~

Use the wrx engine.
Why the fuck have they not done this?
It makes no sense.

>take picture of brothers beat up 2012 scion
>y-you're jealous! >:^(

>projecting

Oh poorfags are so funny. I'll be over here enjoying my paid off new car while you wait for your bus.

I haven't driven one so I can't say for sure. My reservations about it are mostly the reports of a floppy body and weak off the shelf transmission. It could probably use some more power in stock form but if the things I listed are true it's not even a good platform for building on.

>paid off
LOOOOOOL

>can't pay off a new car in cash

You poor? Don't bother replying, we all already know the answer.

Probably gonna pick up the new Supra too when it comes out just to get you even more buttmad.

I want to buy one and turn it into a drift car.
Yeah its slow and designed for millenials but what's the fun in just paying for a car? Isn't the fun in molding it into something you want?

Nobody ever says they "paid off" a car if they bought it outright with cash, you spaz. You clearly don't even drive kek, or you're just super retarded that you can't keep up with your own deceptions

>I can't afford a new car in cash that means no one else can!

The delusion is real. Maybe the bus driver will drive the bus off the cliff for you if you ask nicely.

Smell Dumb Poorfag Scum

At least you might learn from your mistakes and offer some more subtle trolling next time there's someone bashing on your onii-chan's memecar, but I won't hold my breath.

>butthurt projecting because you got BTFO

WIll poorfags ever recover? You're poor because you're a retard.

>Everyone is an idiot except for me
t. An idiot

Lmao next time post a goldenface for added authenticity, Al

>BTFO poorfag hasn't killed himself yet

Why?

Everything a FRS can do, a Miata can do better. It's also not a car designed for millenials.

Eat shit. Millions of scat fetishists can't be wrong!

>. It's also not a car designed for millenials.

Yeah it's designed for faggots, so much better.

>190hp """"""""sports car""""""""

How fucking desperate are you kek

>the C3 only had one engine

Try again.

Because it's almost the perfect Veeky Forums car.

>Why isn't a factory supercharger/turbo a thing in this car?
>Why didn't they use existing 4 banger engines with similar displacement and more potential?
Nobody knows. Could have been a great car, but we got cucked with a 16 second 1/4 car

There are civics faster than this PoS.

>16's 1/4 care
>fast

okay pal

The car is underpowered. Unless you engine swamp or find a way to remove 1000 lbs, it's shit on a track too.

t. buttmad Civic owner

FWD cucks, when will they learn?

>Implying the car is a success with less than 100k sold worldwide in 4 years.

It's a high 14 second 1/4 mile car. Still slow AF but at least get your facts straight.

Even the Ecoboost and V6 Mustangs and Camaros are a full second faster.

If you think $27k is a lot for a fun toy then you need to re-evaluate your life. Kids around here get these as graduation presents.

A modded side by side is around the same price range and only ~100hp. You can spend a lot more than 27k on a Harley ffs.

I think you are the one who needs to re evaluate their life.
It sounds as if you have no respect. I bet you know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
27k is more than half the average persons annual salary.

Why don't you fuck off and come back when you've grown up.
Fucking punk ass kids

>butthurt poorfag

lol

oh lol it's you

shoulda known you'd be back to defend the honor of your bigbrotheryourethebest's mememobile

I pulled on a BRZ in my shitty 07 Civic Si on the highway and it literally could not catch up to me...a fucking CIVIC.

Well you need lunch trays to drift soooo.

The only real problem with the 86 twins is the power source. Subaru's boxer is extremely weak and has a deep torque dip right in the middle so you have to rev it to the moon to get anything.

Replace the boxer and you actually have a good car then.

No. I used to be poor so I have a very healthy respect of money and expect good value for money.
Statements like "26k is nothing" make you sound like a jackass manchild that has no concept of the real world.

i'm in my late 30s, owned a lot of cars, NSX, NA Miata, Boxster, MK 5 GTI.

I've been dd-ing my GT86 for 2+ years, and after all this time, i still get a kick driving it, ITS THE ONLY CAR that does this.

Sure, the lack of torque or power dip in 3500-4500 range is dissapointing, but the chassis is incredible. It just stable yet you can kick the tail out easily and its just fun.

If you want straight line power or some shit like that, get something else, but this car wasn't build for speed, or to beat any track records, it was build for pure driving pleasure and it excels at it admirably and is an example for future cars.

However, i don't think there will a 2nd gen car, especially one with a na engine, this and the ND Miata are the last of their kind.

>needs a turbo

You could afford these nice toys if you laid off the video games and anime girl pillows faggot.

>a car manufacturer in the age full of fat ugly SUVs and econoboxes releases affordable fun-to-drive car
>Veeky Forums bitches about it

>poorfags still butthurt hours later

Poorfags eternally BTFO

Or that. Which is actually fine, because it's supposed to be a "tuning car".

You belong on autoib.org, this place is just for sewage-posters now.

Pretty much this. Veeky Forums is /v/-tier with cynicism now. Nothing is ever good enough.

It's not that great but it's a hell of a lot better than anything Toyota officially released in the last 14 years as far as sportiness goes. What else has Toyota released that's sporty in that time, the Scion TC? Maybe the Tacoma X-Runner? The Caldina GT4 wasn't released stateside :(

It wasn't a mistake.
They delivered a fun, engaging driving experience, great looks, and an overall good quality vehicle for a reasonably competitive price.
No, it's not a straightline monster, but that doesn't make it any less fun.
IRL no one hates this car, it's just an Veeky Forums meme that's overbloated.