Backyard Builds

Post your dream backyard engine build. Keep em realistic financially and lets help each other figure out the details keep it creative, positive, and badass here's mine
>68 ford f100
>I want to put an inline 300 with a draw thru super
>switch from 3 in tree to either 4 or 5 on floor
>flatbed convert
>gonna make me a mad max gas town raider boys
Issues
>I plan to get a donor truck to pull engine and granny
>this engine never came with a super from the factory tips on rigging something together?
>I.e. Carb or fuel injection? Can find either easily for this engine.
>what's a safe boost for no forged internals?
>what's a good super I can pick n pull or find on a Craigslist donor?
>what other issues might I run into?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/252500081734
full-race.com/store/efr-turbo-manifolds/full-race-2l-ecoboost-t25-efr-turbo-manifold-1.html
full-race.com/store/efr-turbos/borgwarner-efr-6258-turbo-2.html
diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-iii-ems-system-v3-57-assembled-unit-w-black-case/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lol rather cryptic. What are the deets on the pic senpai?

It's the image used with the "AWD MR2" post. An old meme.

Posting it pretty much means that that OP is going in way over his head.

Going to build a boosted 350 for my 96 Chevy Silverado flatbed, hopefully put a sm465 4 speed behind it and Hoon around

Well I'm in a bit over my head but I have a daily driver and engine build experience and as I said "dream" sooo kind of the point of enthusiast culture to challenge oneself in order to make something unique

That will be slick br/0/. Should be fairly straight forward too cuz gm ubiquity. What progress have you made? Are you forging? How much boost? What kinda cam? Make sure you consider all the deets on the build a friend of mine had a 90$ Camaro 305 and a hot cam alone burned up the gaskets and made a mess of the top end.

Really want to get ahold of an ej22t and build it up.

>86-88 Mazda B2600 4x4
>92+ Mighty Max bottom end
>90-95 Hyundai I4 head
>94 Galant timing kit
>03-08 Lancer Evo cams and valve springs
>03-08 Lancer Evo turbo and exhaust manifold
>94-03 Super Duty intercooler
>eBay aluminum radiator and oil cooler
>03-08 Lancer Evo fuel injectors, fuel rail, ECU
>01-06 Sonata 2.4 intake manifold
Am I forgetting anything?

I got the donor motor paid for and started pulling it from the junkyard and they got the transmission and t case as well. Hoping to go through the motor and make it hold a steady 10-12 psi, not sure what to do for a cam yet, not really sure about those

Seems pretty complete senpai. I didn't know all those car companies were compatible. Interesting since ford shared Mazda then are those thing fordpatible too mayhaps?

My idea is pretty straight forward. I have an '89 Aerostar with too small of an engine bay to fuck with, but since the drive train is simple as all fuck you could definitely run another transmission, driveshaft, and diff backwards from inside the box to power the front wheels, the only thing you would need to modify is the front stabilizer bar so it could clear the front diff pumpkin. Yes, I've gotten stoned and thought about this before.

My humble opinion would be to got with like a edelbrock truck/rv style cam. Their timing provides a little more low end torque which plays to a supers strength anyways and the 305 friend has a 350 with just that cam in it no extra build and it has been very strong/reliable runner. He's in the process of putting it in the Camaro now

Hahaha you're a mad man gonna need a suitable airbrush paint job to go with that van. Timmy from south park on a racing scooter on the hood perhaps?

Alright

>1978-81 Camaro Z-28
>LS1 swap it, tune to between 375-400 horses
>not much else really
Issues
>stock or straight pipe exhaust
>soften front suspension and stiffen rear suspension for dorifto, or have thick as fuck rear tires for increased traction to make use of it's high torque footpounds
>These models had shitty modulators, might replace off the bat, what's a good brand to look at?
>rear fascia is retro looking but still a bit ugly, will a 1970-73 camaro rear fit on it?

Mazda made variations of two RWD drivetrains from the early 80s to the late 90s. There's the M-type transmission with the 6" and 7" rear ends used in the Miata, B2200, NA RX-7, Ranger, F-150, etc, and the R-type transmission used in the turbo RX-7s, B2600, and utility van.

There's a handful of bellhousing bolt patterns, with a fair amount of interchange between them. You can get F-series engine bellhousings for the M-type transmission from the B2000 or B2200, and for the R-type from the 89+ B2600i, B-series engine bellhousing for the M-type transmission from the Miata, rotary bellhousings from the RX-7, etc. So if you want to put an FE-DOHC from a Kia Sportage into an RX-7, you'll want the transmission from an RX-7 Turbo II or FD with the bellhousing from a B2600i.

All of the motor mounts are different between all of these engines, though, so you'll have to do fab work for the mounts. The cool thing about the B2600 is that it actually used a Mitsubishi G54B engine, which shares mounts with the later 4G6* (Sirius) series of engines. That means that with an early B2600, you can drop in a 4G63 or 4G64 wideblock motor, and have it bolt right up, giving you an engine capable of 300+ BHP on stock internals and a transmission capable of 600+ BHP.

Any opinion is helpful since I'm pretty lacking in the cam department. By truck/rv cam would that be a longer duration cam? I figure that I'd want more duration and not worry about lift as much

I envy you can tell you're not in a stifling smog law state like mineself.
I would definitely
>headers and quality muffler glass packs or flowmaster if you wanna get fancy with it
You're making an investment in the engine so you want the back end to breath properly and that sound combo is fairly unbeatable I know a 69 Camaro that's former life was a strip/street before it was put out to pasture as a show car so to speak and the sound on that mofo. Dick is diamonds erreytime. I like the idea on the fat tires afore mentioned car has some fat ol pirellis but can see how that would be cost prohibitive by the end of all your other investments. And as for fascias I'd say pick and pull and redneck/okie rig if it ain't right drill baby drill bondo and smooth and paint over and if you're careful nobody can tell and who cares anyways if you get your hp where you say nobody will have time to check anyways ;p

Post more of those

you can buy my 300

Damn that's good info senpai. My daily driver is a 03 fuckus with a 2.3 duratec I wonder how many options I have there. (realistically pretty limited cuz Cali law and its a pzev so extra restrictions yay!) but still I love it when car companies work together its a boon for enthusiasts.
I'm not sure exactly probably longer than stock. Its pretty mild all around but gives a little extra response virtually plug and play. You can get exact stats from website jegs or edelbrock.

Where you at? How much? Deets on engine/tranny?

>2.3 Duratec
Should be able to freely swap any MZR, Duratec, or I4 Ecoboost in, but I hear there's potential interference issues with DI engines going into MPFI chassis. Not sure if that applies to FWD applications as well or RWD only.

I've always wanted a turbocharged 2.3 duratec zx3 with an svt 6 speed swap.
Fswerks has a kit together for 4k. So far it's actually been harder to find a zx3 that isn't rotted to shit up here.

Thanks for the info, I also got a jegs carbed intake going on it with probably a 650 edelbrock or a quadrajet

>where you at
denver
>how much
not sure
>engine tranny
engine was rebuilt at some point in the last 40 or 50k miles, tranny is a c6 but I want to keep that so I can swap a 302 in.

reverse drag racing build

I have a 302 short block needs to be bored but it would be its first bore make a trade and i make up the difference? I mean I live in California so kind of a long shot for a hook up but if the proposition is tasty it wouldn't be my first drive to Denver.

>waiting for the renesis in my rx8 to die
>want to swap in an f20c and tune to 400hp on boost
>cost of just an f20c with trans and harness is enough to buy another rx8.

>should probably just go for a 13b-rew
>doesn't want another rotisserie
>way over my head here.

honestly, might be your best bet to buy one locally.

my goal is to buy an exploder 302 with the GT40 heads and put a bigger roller cam, better roller rockers and maybe an HEI distributor and a carb or something

How new are you?

Exploder ia going to need the heads rebuilt with different valve springs if you're hot rodding it, don't forget that

ebay.com/itm/252500081734
full-race.com/store/efr-turbo-manifolds/full-race-2l-ecoboost-t25-efr-turbo-manifold-1.html
full-race.com/store/efr-turbos/borgwarner-efr-6258-turbo-2.html
diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-iii-ems-system-v3-57-assembled-unit-w-black-case/

yeah that's what I thought. would love efi but that's a lot of work to swap all of that shit over to a 60's ferd truck. I think i'll be going with an RPM performer intake and some 400-500cfm carburetor

>Not drilling 1" peripheral intake and 1.75" peripheral exhaust ports in your Renesis and fabbing custom manifolds for it
What a cuck.

Hmm yeah. Better not fux with the daily too much. Many a backyarder hath fell to this temptation.Yeah that's my next project too after I get a fresh daily and I've ran this engine into the ground maybe a good project for my future son or daughter and I so I can pass on the hobby

renesis is a shit

You might be better off starting with a carbed foxbody 302 and putting different heads on it.

yeah an 85 (?) HO would be a good base but it might be more expensive to buy. I can get a junkyard exploder 302 for like 250, and the rest will come from internets.

The heavier variants of the f lineup came with forged internals.

A throttle body injection by edelbrock too difficult on an old engine I did one on a 350 but I can't imagine the ford version is much more complex.

*isn't too difficult

that's super expensive though, an intake and a 4160 is like 500. a tbi system is like 2 grand minimum.

Good to know. They are rather rare tho arent they? May test my patience but that's ok I'm effectively broke right now anyways

the super duty of those engines have better exhaust manifolds. not as good as efi manifolds though. you also want either a clifford or offy intake so you can mount a 4 barrel carb on.

some f100's and f150's had them, the rest were used in industrial applications.

Hmmm I didn't know how much it cost the person I built with scored it/ worked for it from a friend who owns a speed shop. Also you are probably right about trying to score my inline locally its just hard to find someone who wants to get rid of their inline for a 302

>hard to find someone who wants to get rid of their inline for a 302
what all comes with the 302? just the block or a crank or what?

i fucking hate working on cars so fucking much

i would much rather drive them at their limits on public roads

Yeah I've looked at those intakes and for a super there's really no other way to go unless I get 80$ throttle body but i don't know how easy those are for super. I'm thinking a roots style cuz I've seen them rigged for draw thru and I want headers for exhaust.

Block, crank is good too as I said earlier needs to be bored cuz some superficial rust on a cylinder cuz previous owner. I'd take it to my local Napa and have it cleaned and magnafluxed before sale just to make sure everything's on the up and up. And old hot rodder with lots of ferd experience told me it looks sound to him tho. No freezer plug damage etc. Came out of a 70 f100 and was a crate replacement new from the factory before it sat. Also had automatic tranny on the truck.

One begets the other user

I'll post pics later but I'm at work right now

You know, that was a funny ass episode of koth. It culminated with Bobby battling Peggy it the front yard. Khans line "shes bluffing, finish her!" Still gets me.

I took a stock S13 hatch and swapped an SR-20 into it when the KA died.

Then after redlining it into oblivion I swapped an RB-25 into it and craddle it like a baby.

I'm thinking of selling it and using the money to start an LS swap. Realistically I can probably only afford to swap into a S14 but my dream build would be an RX-7 FD because I love how they look and don't know shit about rotary engines.

I want to do a 350 sbc build but i've never though about things like carbs and headers etc.
You know what I mean? I want to make it reach 350-400hp
t. guy that has never touched anything american

They're an antidote to the cancer.

>fd ls swap
>spending 16k on a car to make it worth 8k after swap

SBC build for pic related?
Honestly, if 350-400hp was your goal, I'd simply build the standard 4.2 litre TB42 with a turbo manifold off the diesel. Those TBs get some damn impressive numbers, and they're already in there, ready to go.

I've been wanting to do a budget 5.3 Vortec build. I can get one complete with a harness and ECU for about $500. A complete rebuild with forged flat top pistons can be done for about $1k. A cam swap is another $1k. Find a used LS throttle body for $100. Flash the ECU for $100. Long tubes for $500. Port the stock heads myself. Toss on a 200 shot nitrous kit for good measure at $1k. For around $4k I have a nice 450 hp port fuel injected street engine that will take a 200 shot all day.

>i fucking hate working on cars so fucking much
faggot
>at their limits on public roads
mega-faggot

First of all why do you think this matters if I have no intention of selling it?

Secondly, I wouldn't buy a fully functional running rotary lmao. I would instead find the cleanest body possible with a broken engine and use that as a platform for my build. From there you can redo the suspension and aesthetic stuff whenever you feel like it.

I've driven a few LS swaps in other little Japanese sports cars and they are fun as heck!

Anyway, nice troll post. Let us know when you swap an engine irl and not on whatever Forza game you own on xbox :)

>implying you work on your cars
Kek
Reminder you overpayed 16k for some kids project Evo10, on the stock fucking MAP

oh I wish that patrol was mine
it used to be a 2.8l but now it has a BMW M57

If you go carb'd, you'll have to find something like pic related.
Id personally do efi, but that's only because I have experience with ford ECU's. Carb would be a lot easier to tune