How do I get good at wrenching?

How do I get good at wrenching?

wrench

Buy a $500 car and attempt to use it as a DD.

This is useless information
If I don't know how to wrench, then hacking away at my engine won't teach me shit or how to diagnose and fix a problem with my car

haynes manual

Stick your dick in it.

By gittin gud

No but fit real buy something with a chevy small block or amc 232 straight six, or any older Honda 4 banger and get the Haynes for it. It's the best way

I'd suggest buying a project car that is in relatively decent mechanical shape that is also pre-OBDII. If you stay away from OBDII, you will avoid having to use computers to trouble shoot emissions related fault codes.

Earlier cars from the Japs and the Germans that are around 1991 and older are all relatively simple in design and there are parts galore. Most of those cars can be dismantled with an 8, 10, 12,13,15, 17mm socket set with the same sizes in open-end wrenches.

Whichever car you get, buy the accompanying Bentley (or equivalent) shop manual. These manuals are several hundred pages long and extremely detailed. Absolutely avoid Hayes and Chilton...those are for stupid poor-fag normies. Ultimately have fun, take your time and think through the repair. Usually the simplest approach is the best approach.

I guess you're just fucked then

you have to look at a car as a logical piece of equipment that obeys physics. there's a a reason why something's broke on your car, it's not just magically and irreversibly destroyed. a general understanding of the mechanics of cars is important too, like how electricity flows from ground to battery, from battery to starter motor / battery to ignition / battery to lights, ignition to distributor, distributor to sparkplugs. how the spark from the sparkplugs ignites fuel, pushes the pistons into the crankshaft, crankshaft turns the belts, belts turn the a/c compressor and alternator and fuel pump and water pump and power steering and fan, alternator provides electricity to charge battery, fuel pump draws fuel from the fuel tank into the engine, water pump pulls coolant from the radiator and flushes it through the engine then drains it back into the radiator; crankshaft moves timing chain, timing chain keeps camshaft in line with crankshaft, camshaft moves pushrods, pushrods open and close valves in engine allowing fuel and oxygen into the piston cylinders allowing combustion.

once you understand the above, then you can rationalize things like why your car is overheating (low coolant or bad water pump), why your car wont start (if not turning over at all, battery probably dead, wires maybe disconnected from starter motor or ignition, ignition terminals maybe bad; if turning over but not starting, possibly no spark at sparkplugs, maybe bad fuel pump, low on gas), why your car groans when you turn (low power steering fluid, bad power steering pump, suspension ball joints might need grease). that's when you troubleshoot using your logic. learning the mechanics and troubleshooting/fixing problems is how you learn to wrench.

Pick up a wrench...

Don't be afraid

Don't rush

Double check all steps

Don't rush!

and if you become a stancefaggot while wrenching, kill yourself!

Yes it will fag

by hacking shit up and using Google/YouTube to learn stuff.

You sound like a cry baby bitch.
>Get manual
>Get tools
>Maintain your car/Add shit
Quit being a fuck

/thread
I found this frame in a bush and am fabricating/scavenging everything else

Find something your not afraid to ruin

>diagnose and fix a problem with my car
flow charts are your friend

get an inexpensive car that has a reputation for being mechanically simple/easy to work with, with a large aftermarket of inexpensive parts and start messing with it.
>protip have that be a second car since if you break a part you wont want to be stranded, and you'll have a separate car for parts runs

also motorcycles are good to start with since they're smaller, all of the parts will be easier to work with as a result, and everything is much easier to access

don't infantilize yourself
JUST FUCKING GET ON WITH IT YOU LIMP WRISTED CUNT

By doing it, pretty much it.

>Buy shitbox
>Car breaks down
>Forced to learn to mechanic

And that's how I've become good at wrenching

>This is useless information
YOU are really spoiled. Now you will probably cry if even a drop of oil gets onto your shirt.

The advice to get a poor car that still has a chance of running (to prove that you could make it running as validation) is solid. $500 is the bottom (or below bottom) price of a car that can run. Thus, if you can make it run, that validates your efforts and also gives you feedback on working on things. As it is your first, you will probably damage things whether it be stripping nuts, overtightening a bolt, or even cross threading the oil drain plug.

But since it is the spare low-cost vehicle, you are not stranded because you still have your DD. It is bad to put your mistakes onto your good car. But learning and stopping your making of mistakes on the $500 junker is a good approach.

Or you can go to a vocational school for 2 years at $5000 or more per semester. The vocational automobile wrenching trade school in my area costs about $40,000 when you are finished after 2 years.

That's how you get better dumbshit

>get car
>get appropriate repair manual
>maintain it
>fix it
>don't be a retard
>don't be a faggot

This post made me cum

I'm a marine working on electronic optical ordnance repair. The very first thing they teach is to understand electrical, optical, and mechanical flow paths in order to logically understand why things work and why they don't. Do I have to know all the ins and outs of a javelin missile? Nope but as long as I understand the fundamental processes of can trouble shoot and repair

One guy already said it

Buy an old well known car (east to find parts)

Buy the Haynes repair manual

Follow instructions to fix shit

Eventually you won't need to look at the manual anymore

>how I learnt

Watch ericthecarguy, engineering explained and possibly scottykilmer to get an idea about what you're trying to do. Buy a repair manual for your car online (~100$) or find it for free. Get a torque wrench and a set of screwdrivers and sockets. A box of gloves too if you're a little bitch. Start by being able to identify shit on the top of the car, alternator, battery, a/c compressor. Also get a multimeter to fix electrical issues and an obd2 scanner, get the orange 100$ one. My technique is to keep taking shit off until i find the broken piece, take a break, open a beer, go get a new piece then put it all back together and start the car. ezpz. the longer you do it, the little tricks you learn and can do it father through repetition.

I just kinda started doing it. Started with easy stuff like breaks and what not and now I'm pulling engines.

>my haynes manual was $11 shipped

feels good man

Here's what I'd do: buy a shitbox and daily it. When problems arise, you are forced to learn how to fix them yourself or ride the bus.

Stop being a bitch.

see if your local community collage has auto classes. or get an air cooled vw.

7 bucks here pleb get on my level (4 dollars plus 3 shipping)

Op regarding obd2 u could just get a Bluetooth obdb2 adapter and download and App and have it all said and done for sub 30$. That's what I've heard anyways I don't fucking know my cars from the 70s

I'm doing it right now

Take courses at you local community college

Get a job in a garage. They will start you off running errands, but if you prove you're reliable and a good worker, they will train you to be a mechanic. Plus you get paid to work on cars.

All the haynes and chilton manuals except for a few ended up disappearing (stolen) from the public library. So they had to go to electronic versions. Too many homeless in the library basically going through all the books and everything else looking for things to sell.