2nd gear downshift crunch

It's hard to downshift into 2nd gear when coming from third (never tried a 4-2 downshift). Foot is all the way on the clutch and giving no gas. It's either REALLY hard to put it in second or I just can't do it at all. Makes this sort of crunching sound. Not a grinding sound though so I don't know if I can rule out a syncro issue? It's my first manual car but I wouldn't consider myself awful. When I try my downshifts I tend to blip the throttle a but while I have the clutch down (trying to rev match I guess). However it sometimes let's me do it when I'm under 15mph.

Anyone know what it could be? Car is a 90 (5th gen) Celica GT if it makes a difference.

synchros.

Change the gearbag oil to redline shockproof and it will help for a while.

change your transmission fluid and go from there. New trans fluid fixed a crunchy second gear in my miata so it never hurts to try. Try forums for your car as well, you won't get a straight answer from Veeky Forums

Learn to match the rpm with the gear and it will go in a lot easier. Get it just right and you don't even need the clutch ;^)

U try blipping throttle?

I got more help here about my pop up headlights a few weeks than I could find by doing forum searches so that's why I came here lmao. But I'll definitely look into it, hopefully it addresses the issue. Looking into selling the car for decentish money sometime in the future

Yeah I do that on all my downshifts but doesn't seem to work when going to 2nd. Or maybe I'm too nervous about doing it

Expanding on this user's suggestion: if you change the fluid, use GM Synchromesh. That stuff works wonders in a transmission.

You the same user who wanted to prop their headlights up? If so welcome back :^)

As the other anons said, change your transmission fluid with some quality shit. Check your shifter bushings/linkage as well.

I helped you. Did putting them to the dot work?

BTW, the synchro is going bad. Change your gear oil ("tranny fluid") and see if it helps. If not, just double clutch your 3rd to 2nd downshift, that's what I do, but the floaty clutch pedal in the 5th gen celicabby makes this annoying and unsatisfying. Hope I help and let me know if you have any more questions family

Yep, glad you guys (or gals too, fhere wasa girl in the thread) remember! Definitely appreciated the help I got on that thread and the help I am getting here as well.

As for the headlights not yet unfortunately, I've been busy with moving that my top priority is getting everything moved so I'm closer to the car more frequently (since it's at the other house). But I haven't forgotten about the suggestions

Try giving the throttle a stab instead of a blip. Also granny shifting instead of double clutching like you should.

Eyy dude nice to see you again! I owned the 91gts on your last thread. do this for me. When the car is not moving, if you select reverse does it grind? If so, does it make the same sound from 3rd to 2 if so, that's a synchro issue. Do this for me as well, Drain the oil from the tranny, it uses 75-90 oil, just get the cheap 2$ bottle to make sure it's not old oil.

Also try to bleed the clutch, I'm bad on clutch bleeding so someone else can do that

When I start the car and want to back out the drive way and I out it in reverse and start letting the clutch out slowly, it makes a somewhat odd noise and won't move. So I put my foot on the clutch, go to neutral, then back to reverse and it works fine. The noise it first makes is a slight crunching sound but it's not hard to put it into reverse

>downshift into 2nd gear when coming from third
>Foot is all the way on the clutch and giving no gas

>he doesn't revmatch every single gear

kill you are self

I also said it was my first manual car, one which I don't see frequently, let alone use

There's no synchro on reverse, does it make the same sound when u downshift? If so then that's a synchro issue

The clutch release bearing could be making that noise, or the input shaft bearing.

The feeling when trying to put it into either gear is the same (however reverse is only when I start the car, if I go reverse neutral then reverse again the feeling is gone). Reverse makes a whiny sound for lack of a better term whereas 2nd doesn't really make a sound. It's just being physically incapable of putting it into 2nd

reverse whines while moving because it's a straight cut gear.

Like the whining you get from a dogbox.

3 to 2 is always a pain for me.

>4th to 3rd: can't even feel the shift
>3rd to 2nd: lurches like a sorority girl that is about to puke the 5 shots she just inhaled
every time. that's with revving too.

The reverse whirring is completly normal, try bleeding your clutch, your linkages sounds fine since you only have issue with 3rd to second

I hope so, I was really scared it could be a synchro issue especially since I plan on selling the car in the future

I have the exact same issue with my 5th gen celica.

>feels bad man