Dad wants to leave me his first car

Wat do? I haven't taken care of an old muscle before

71 skylark btw

It's worthless and gonna be a headache. I'll give you 1k cash to take it off your hands.

But for real. You better take care of that amazing machine.

Take it.

Watch Grand Torino for inspiration

:)

take good care of it. It looks very well taken care of and probably means a lot to him. If he is giving it to you he clearly trusts you. Just do your research on how to take cate of it and if need be just ask your dad how to maintain it. It was his car after all.

Just sell it. NO LOWKICKERS NO TIRE BALLERS

Focus on rust proofing and prevention. The older engines need a motor oil with higher concentrations of zinc. Royal purple has it, there are some other brands too. Or a bottle of STP oil treatment will due also.

Isnt this a myth?

Sell it and invest
wait for boomers to die and muscle cararket to crash
Buy 10 Buick skylark.

If it has a modern camshaft it may not need it. This was from a time period where we put lead in gasoline for an anti wear additive.

Lead was for knocking, not anti wear.

Are you really going to tell me that planes use leaded fuel for anti knock when they already have 100 octane?

Your average modern oil has different additives than oil from about half a century ago, when that car was designed and built. You should get some additives, or "racing" oil that doesn't have to conform to modern standards and can have the good stuff that clogs catalytic converters and kills the environment.

A myth for new cars, but as far as I know older cars with flat tappet lifters need high levels of zinc to stop the lifters from digging into the cams

No, I'm going to tell you that lead raises the octane rating.. which is the correct way of saying anti knock..

Exactly, cars had low as fuck compression most of leaded fuels life. Octane is for knock prevention.

Looks like a Chevelle front clip with a Mustang body and a Camaro greenhouse.

lol

Poor pic really. It's literally a Chevelle with a Buick engine and Buick chassis tuning.

This is correct. Royal purple however doesn't have enough, only specific race oils and break in oils do, not even diesel oils have the needed zinc and phosphorus levels flat tappet cams need. It's most crucial at break in but will absolutely effect the life of your cam.

Zddplus or Lucas zinc work well, they're both highly concentrated so you only need small amounts to hit the 1500-2200ppm levels, modern oils can be as low as 600ppm for zinc levels which is catastrophic to a flat tappet cam. You want an additive that's concentrated so you're not displacing anymore oil than needed, couple this with a good filter and your flat tappet and old school motor will last much longer.

T. someone who dailys and beats on flat tappet vehicles and has for over 700,000 collective miles across 3 vehicles.

Brad Penn oil.
Sloghtly difficult to find but website has search for dealer function.

Yes, this the good shit.