Worth it?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a certified pre-owned 2014 Subaru Crosstrek. Anything I should know about these cars? It's only got 30k on it and they're asking $19k for it. Are they good cars?

I already know I'm going to like it more than my pos Jeep Liberty that I'm trading in for it.

gutless 2.0

don't get it with the cvt

It'll be reliable and help if you live somewhere more rural.

You're better off with a used Rav4

It's mostly for a daily commuter. I won't be racing around the local dirt tracks with it or anything. Is the cvt unreliable, or just boring?

>cucktrek

Yes.

I love my Subaru Aztec

I do a lot of long distance traveling, my job is an hour away, and we get lots of snow around these parts. That's why the move from the 4wd Liberty to the Suby. Plus, the Jeep is only about as good on gas as my ol Chevy pickup.

Looking for dependability, efficiency, comfort, and mild off-road prowess.

One of the slowest cars on sale today. It's shit and the cvt is shit too. Just get a civic ep3 for 5-7k

Well, I know it's not a WRX, but I'm not in the market for that. My Wrangler is more my speed when it comes to anything off-road.

You don't need awd. Snow tires are perfectly adequate for most people

Is it undriveable because of it? I'm really just going to work and back in it. If I won't be able to keep pace with traffic than I'll pass, but I'm used to driving around in lifted Jeeps, so as long as it gets up and moves faster than a Wrangler on 32's then I'll be okay with it.

awd is nice for driving up snow covered forest service roads

and driving down you can engine brake with all four wheels

buy one and do this with it. like this guy did with his cross trek

If you really need AWD I suppose you could look in to the mazda CX-3. It'll definitely be more fun to drive

Having driven a 2010 Legacy with the CVT for over 120,000 miles with no issues, I can attest that the CVT is strong (if you don't totally abuse it), but it certainly kills any driving feel

as a former subaru salesman here is some interesting info

the crosstreck is a wrx with a slightly longer wheelbase for offroading

its literally the wrx except you get the option of a cvt

its a wonderful vehicle TO LEASE i pity the owner who will have to maintain and repair this thing 7 years from now though.....

here
Also having driven a 2015 Crosstrek with the 5 speed, it can be a pain in the ass. If you are in any sort of rush to accelerate, you're going to have to really push the 2.0. My girlfriend has a 2015 Impreza with a CVT and it does an okay job, no fuss. The manual transmission makes it a more engaging car overall though

Test drive one. The manual is at least good for 1-2 seconds faster to 60. 8-9 vs 9-10. Post your local Craigslist. Cash or financing? How much cash do you have for a down payment? How much do you make a month? Do you know your credit score?

My credit is excellent, I know I can get 1.9% on it. They say roughly $330 a month, and it's cheaper to insure than my other vehicles. I'm here to test drive it, so I'll update on whether or not I like it.

Only get a manual one. The cvt is like a pillow between your foot and the accelerator.

If you do, drive it over bumpy terrain to check for coins left in the transmission storage compartment

V6 rav4 is better in every way.

Well, I wound up getting it. I enjoyed the driving experience well enough to put my good name on the credit application. And the title.

Again, I can't stress enough that this car is strictly a commuter/vacation-mobile. So even though it doesn't accelerate like a hot rod, it gets on the highway with no real hesitation, and it's a smooth, comfortable ride with heated seats for my fanny.

I was informed by the dealership that that's where I'm meant to keep my balls.

Kill yourself. Did you even drive anything else you faggot?

Problem here is that everyone here is trying to sell you on a fun car when all you want/need is a shitbox to get to work in.

I have one, 2015. It is slow (150hp). So much shit has gone wrong on it. at one point wiring harness needed replacement. Te keyfob doesn't work if there is slightest hint of interference from cell towers etc. front axle went kaput, had it replaced, now rear is kaput. Brakes won't stop squealing. Brake lights gone in no time. One brake light jammed in socket when tried to replace myself. Did I mention it's horribly underpowered?

might get a lot of hate for this, but the cvt makes commuting so much easier for such a weak engine. I think you made a good choice

it's a shittier Impreza in short. Lots of teething problems.

Also I am at only 70k KILOMETRES and all this shit happened. Subaru is not the most reliableof jap brands alhough miles better than americarts

I own a rat rod Chevy pickup with a 355 that I built myself, and a lifted 05 Wrangler if I want fun. Why do you care so much what car I drive to work? I just want awd, good on gas, w/ Bluetooth and room for the dog in the back on trips to northern Michigan. If my money could get me a loaded Outback I'd have gotten that, but it can't, so I drove home in a Crosstrek instead.

Wanna buy my old Liberty? You can sit in it and think about all the ways you hate me.

Exactly. Not everybody wants to pretend like they're in Tokyo Drift all of the time. It's a car. For work. For me.

All I needed to know was is it a good buy for commuting, not how small everybody's peckers were.

subaru mechanic here. i think you made a good choice i love the crosstrek its good for commuting and gets decent mileage for the 2.0
it will start consuming oil however though around 60k miles. i have done a few oil consumption tests on these crosstreks but none of them have come back needing short block replacments and its been months. i wouldnt worry about it. eay to work on and everything
good job OP

Bummer dude. Mine's got full warranty until 100k or 7 years, whichever comes first. Beyond that, I'm a mechanic so whatever. But that's exactly why I'm saying bye to the Jeep Liberty. 195k miles on that odometer, and shit keeps breaking on a car that's barely worth $1500.

Next.

>certified
Certified what, and by whom?

I like my Crosstrek, the 2.0 isn't super powerful but it runs down the highway fine

Thanks. I'm actually a railroad mechanic myself, so I can keep up with the nuts and bolts of it. The warranty will hopefully see me through to at least 100k miles on the drivetrain and electrical. And after that, it'll be paid for and likely no more or less of a headache than any other set of wheels I own.

And that was really all I wanted to hear was a more unbiased opinion other than, "hurr durr a cvt isn't a proper tranny urgh tiny engine no fast good."

The dealership from which is was originally purchased and wherein all of the maintenance was performed, thus carrying with it the factory and extended warranties.

I sweet talked em into a new set of tires and a remote start added on before the deal was sealed.

thats awsome op. your vehicle is equipped with a great power train warranty honestly i have never seen anything go wrong in any crosstrek since i started at subaru. thats really cool you got new tires and remote start. does your crosstrek have the orange stiching and the tags that say "crosstrek" on the seats? i think those look cool. if you were in california id tell you to bring it over to my dealership and let me inspect it further and such.

There is a middle ground between gutless econobox and Tokyo drift.

The v6 rav4 has 273 hp and a traditional automatic transmission. Better in every way than a gutless crosstrek.

And if you're not an enthusiast why the fuck are you here?

>fwd over awd
he got a commuter big deal.

rav4 came in awd too. wtf are you on about m8?

>it's okay to consume oil at 60k
Might as well have gotten a rotary, OP

>awd that engages when wheel slip is detected
>symetrical awd that is 50/50 split
nigga please.
>i didnt read his other reply
stay classy Veeky Forums

the rav4 has a 50/50 lock under a certain speed which is adequate. Not perfect but good enough for normies.

still not awd all the time
op is a normie and he chose the better awd system, stop defending cuckota