Who else here /landbarge/

Who else here /landbarge/

Hi

looks clean
what year?

Thanks bud, mine is a 89. How about yours? What's the story with your car?

And here we see the landbarge in its natural habitat

Mine's an 85 Delta.
Not sure of the exact history, got it off an old lady with dementia. Only 80k miles on it which is really pretty damn good

What are the newest cars that count as landbarges in the classic sense?

very cool! I see your 85 doesn't have the third brake light in the rear window (I don't recall exactly when that law took effect, but I have it my 89). Also, I too bought my car from an old person at 66k; over 5 years I put 10k more onto it.

Law took effect in 86, panthers got them mid year 85

That law was 1986.

Got this for a project too, 63 Riviera, along with the Delta.

Man I fucking love me some good barges.

>this is my toy car
>this is my real car

Man I wish i had a superbird :^(

I want a LTC so fucking bad.

I always hated that steering wheel. I used to have a '82 Olds Ninety-eight and thanked sweet Jesus every day I ddin't have that hideous square thing in mine.

I don't like it.
Not only is it ugly, its also falling apart

Look at this bullshit

To me it's the last of truly full size cars. 1978 for Ford and Chrysler, and 1976 for GM. Yeah panthers and GM B bodies are fairly big but they would have been considered mid size cars in the 1970's.

panther, Chrysler 300, Cadillac dts

Car looks clean though. Maybe have a look through u pull yards for nicer one out of a Cutlass or older 88/98

Muh land barge.

Already straight piped, going to be putting a mini spool in the rear, getting mud tires, and a slight lift.

>straight piping a town car
For what purpose

Becuz mustang dood

There is a low mileage 97 near me for cheap and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. What's she like? Are the air bags a massive headache?

Airbags are fine thus far, ive beat the fuck out of it offroad, and they still hold air weeks with no issues

car sat for 2+ years prior to that too

How do I mod 05 Impala LS to be floaty boat?

>comfy
>fwd
>v6

That is good to hear, I think this ones sat alot. Less than 70k km and almost 20 years old

Holy shit someone who agrees with me. A pre downsized full size makes panthers and b bodies feel so small.

But don't worry, you'll have someone claiming their H body LeSabre is a landbarge

Trade it in for a 2012 for the 40 hp boost,

Then airbags.

To be honest, the impala is a fun car, but it's not a slab and never will be.

>H body
>Land barge
lmao

Honestly, if you want an Impala to be a land barge you're gonna have to get an older one. Those newer ones are not land barge at all

>5.2m long
>but 300hp
Feels good lads

Lad, why write that comment and share a photo of post downsized fords? The only barge in that photo according to your logic is the red LTD, which I assume was the last year before being downsized.

>Also no hood emblem

do I count?

That was the point of the photo, the ltd is there for comparison.

Commie lad, statesman/caprice counts as a boat but the commie doesn't

Can I play ?

I think my Grandma's '93 Grand Marquis was one of the most overall enjoyable cars I've driven so far. Comfy as can be, RWD, and even if the V8 didn't give full potential for size, it at least sounded better than anything I've had.

I can't wait to drive my Delta in the snow again. Tailspin errywhere

My two landbarges.
Tan colored is my daily driver that I am fixing up.
The blue isn't street legal because it was rear ended and has a bent frame but it still runs fine. Using it for parts but I still drive it around the fields occasionally.

Is there any set rules that designate a car as a landbarge? Could have sworn I've seen an image on this board before that hit it pretty nicely.

But pretty much off the top of my head;

>Rear wheel drive
>At least two tons
>Large thirsty engine
>Smooth ride
>Bench seats/seats six?
>Rear fuel tank cap?
>Shifter in the steering column if not manual?

What do you guys think? I know some of these rules prevent some land barges from qualifying but maybe we say its gotta meet at least 5/7 of the rules?

Do you guys have any suggestions what is a good cheap landbarge for a first car? (Btw, dream car is a Cadillac brougham, opinions on that car would also be appreciated)

Many will say panther bodies.
I am a little biased, but I say a 90's caprice if you can get in in decent shape. Parts are pretty cheap and available, not too hard to work on, more unique feeling than the run of the mill panther body (I get lots of complements on mine). Many have the LT1 engine in it and its a fun engine for a landbarge. After the caprice has had its run, take out LT1 have it rebuilt and drop it in a Fleetwood. Bam! luxury speedboat.

Interesting, I was thinking along the lines of a 90s Lincoln town car. Also cheap and big. But you showed me a pretty solid option as well. Thanks!

Japanese couch on wheels.

Reporting in.

what are the entry requirements for /landbarge/?

I used to drive a 2010 passat and now drive a 2015 passat, and it's almost 4.8 meters long and is impractical to park, do i drive a modern landbarge?

>only 4.8m long
>four doors
yeah nah mate

Is that a Ninety-Eight I see?

4000lbs of Japanese pride

I'm jealous as fuck 2bh. Too bad they're all right hand drive.
No plans of getting it converted?

None of these are even close to being land barges.

They are to our generation. Stop acting like a boomer with the no muscle was made after muh 1971 mentality.

Any fullsize shitbox is a barge imo.

land barges for everyone

>tfw fwd landbarge

well Panthers were a downsize. they were a foot smaller than most previous landbarges.

crazy that by today's standards they are still massive though.

>Any fullsize shitbox is a barge imo.

it really isnt.

>They are to our generation.

what generation? even to a millennial those arent landbarges. Panthers and 90's B bodies are.

>with the no muscle was made after muh 1971 mentality.
except landbarges have a VERY specific place in American automotive history. they came to prominence in the 50's in opulent postwar America, and became a staple, since American roads allowed for them, unlike Europe, which had lots of small winding roads.

in the 70's they downsized because of the oil crisis, and then they downsized again in the 80's. they fell out of style in the late 90's, and died in the late 00's, when the panther was relegated to fleet use. (and then buried when the fleet panthers were discontinued in 2011)

so there is a VERY specific definition of a landbarge

hell, even wikipedia has an article on "Landyachts"

>Any fullsize shitbox is a barge imo.
landbarges are generally the exact opposite of a shitbox

I like your Delta. I liked when they didn't have the amber in the tail lights (pre 84 i think) but the color with the pin stripes is cool

fukkin clean

sup merc bro

I agree and disagree with you. Though those were the last true full size, a big car is a big car. I've driven a lot of different barges and I feel the early panthers are still fuckhueg. Also a big gm guy but I'd agree with the b-bodies, they aren't that big.

Honestly, screw American cars. America may have invented the land barge but the japs perfected it. Buy an LS400. They're definitely not as big as 60's 70's American cars but they're still massive and extremely reliable. V8 and rwd with 300hp in the 98-00 models all with 20mpg is great. Great first car imp. Pic related, its mine. Sorry I know the pic is shit

fuck off with those, they arent landbarges. first gens are nice cars, but far from landbarges

Panthers are dirt cheap and reliable, caprices are fairly cheap if you can find them, cant speak for reliability though.

you can sometimes find a decently priced 80's caddy.

best bang for your buck are definitely panthers though. Crown Vics, Grand marquis, Town Cars. early-mid 90's town cars are really nice.

Wagons are good too.

you can always find a decently priced 80s caddy. Would you want to drive it though?

Yeah those cars are nearly the same size and weight as the LS. Unless you have to have an American for some silly reason, these cars are far and away more powerful, efficient and comfortable than any of these old American barges. It's a better first car.

they kind of have to be an American car. landbarges are an American thing

I guess I can understand the intangible quality behind that. I love my LS but I definitely doesn't have the distinctly American appeal of my dad's old elderado. Eh, whatever.

this. And no. Early 80s HT4100 4.1 litres are a fucking joke. Cadillac literally made a spot at dealership repair centers just for 4.1 technicians, they just broke down that much. Absolutely beautiful cars if the paint and chrome aren't already fucked.

Torquey V8 engine is a must
Full Size minimum
Smooth ass ride

fuck off with your rules bull shit. Literally why /ccg/ died.

Am I allowed in anons?

I take that back fuck off

1987 Cadilac Brougham D'Elegance m8

there were left hand drive ones factory made for China, some guy from China came up to me and had pictures of a 8th generation that was factory LHD with a 1JZGTE

converted as in to LHD no way, ive had 0 issues driving it on roadtrips on the highway here in Canada and have driven it through the states no issue. that picture was in Montana

kinda cute that my Nipper landyacht Crown makes more horsepower out of a 3.0L straight 6 than the 7.1L your old landyachts made eh?

land barges aren't about power

i still have a 10/10 comfy yacht that outperforms American landyachts

if we're going for comfort, do any American landyachts have a rear refrigerator, cigar station, power rear seats, independent rear AC, and independent rear radio tuner? because even my mid-trim Crown came with all that factory in 1986

Are 03's allowed to play? Had a thread up a few days ago, but this is mine.

beautiful

i really dont understand the point of saying land yachts only being american. i'd definitely call a rolls royca a land yacht, mercedes 600D definitely is one too. its not just and american thing, we just had the roads that could fit them.

im not, is saying Cressida and Crown arent land yachts. Crown were body on frame and around the 4000lb mark, one of the largest Japanese cars made

Thanks! I need to do a little work to make her nice again, but my plans beyond that are to find some nice leather seats, match all the rims (currently two aluminum, two steel, no idea how that happened), then look into a trailer hitch because fuck it, no point not doing it.

they just really don't have the same spirit as the old american barges

All hail king of the landyachts: 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood 75. One of the longest production models ever produced. 6.35 meters or 250in and almost 6000 pounds.

"no"

>Ill never cruise in sunset of Nevada in huge thirsty Cadilac, all i can hope with stupid taxes in eu is v6 diesel...
might even kill myself

I really love those boxy american cars. My first door neighbour has limo company and he had one of stretched cadilacs and would take me for a ride every day. Everything else looks like powerwheel compared to that monstrosity. And that hood emblem was standing there like it was saying move over im better than you, damn they are sexy cars.

Why the hell would you post that beautiful SC in a 'land barge' thread? I mean, its nowhere near long or fat enough to be considered a land barge....

But, no matter... If that is your whip, its a very beautiful car.... Been keeping my eyes open for an SC like your pic for six months. Want to build a SCupra

Does my 500SEL count as a landbarge?

Do the hub caps fall off when you take a corner faster than half the speed limit?

None of that stuff qualifies it as a landboat. You have a Japanese luxury sedan, which is not what this thread is about.

Here's a dumb question, where do you get P71 spec struts? I thought of throwing them on my Grand Marquis for giggles.

So many better options exist, adding P71 coils + shocks will just make your car taller and ride like shit.

If you want to go OEM, 03-04 Marauder coils + shocks are still available.

I keep forgetting the Marauder was a thing. Will I have to swap out the sway bars to get the most from them, or is it OK to just swap the struts and coils?

Also is it bad that I want to turn my GM into a "sleeper?" I'm already looking at new headers and cams. I'm also very new to Veeky Forums so I appologize if I sound, you know. New.

Be as he may, furfag or no, I will continue to love that stupid reference.

What on earth are all of those levers' purposes?

>no idea how that happened

clearly no knowledge of australia
Here, we put two steelies on the rear for burnouts and skids

Also couldve been in an accident and wrecked a rim so he put two steels on

>03 GM

my man!

it blows my mind that a GM today, well, any panther today- is considered "huge", while when they were new, they were actually smaller than their predecessors

You don't have to, but a P71 front and Marauder/HPP rear bar will give it the best factory handling possible. Or step up to addcos if you want to drop the money.

Cams are to much money for little return, do a mail order tune + exhaust and gears if you want decent pep. Anything past that either a supercharger or nitrous.

This is the point where I say its not worth putting all this money into a grand marq, but its your wallet.

It brings a smile to my face to see landyachts slowly creeping back to popularity.

There's an 80's B Body always parked in the neighborhood, one of my neighbors seems to have bought himself a 90's Town car, and I see Grand Marquis and Town Cars fucking everywhere these days

Police cruiser detected

The thing is, the aluminum rims are on the back. I also have two more hubcaps in the trunk, and they look really rather nice. So who knows, maybe he only had enough money for two.

Ayyy, in light blue! I'm a little mad that mine came with a chowdered front bumper. The seller included a spare with the sale, but it's either from a different year or trim, and I'd have to have it repainted. I'm calling the Ford dealership tomorrow to see what they'll charge to get it the right color.

And that is pretty mind blowing. The nice thing is, you and I have the first year of the last major change to the Crown Vic, which is kind of cool.

Thanks for the ideas. I know it's a waste, but I'm wondering how much I can do on a budget--P71 front end could come from any junkyard, Marauder parts are a different story. Any suggestions for mail-order stuff?

Don't use junkyard shocks if you're going down that route, if you're going to get used P71 coils at least trim them to maintain your current ride height or go lower. P71's have the big front swaybar but the baby 17mm rear, so you want to find a HPP or marauder rear which IIRC is 21mm.

Mo's speed shop is the place you want to go for a mail order tune. If you ever see the words "reinhart + performance / automotive" run, he's the hennessey of the panther world.

So let me get this down:
>Maruader struts, coils, rear swaybar
>P71 front swaybar

Is a dual exhaust worth the hassle?

Yes, factory single exhaust is really gay. Factory duals will add 10hp but its a dinky 2" pipe with a 1 7/8" crossover in the H pipe. Stainless Works sells a 2.5" kit but the fitment is ass, so if you go that route be prepared to play with the fitment until its good.

If you can find a cheap factory H pipe and drivers side tail pipe, and by cheap I mean like 100 bucks for everything, go for it.

Also just as an FYI, the marauder front swaybar is the same as a P71, you'll just have an easier time finding a P71 bar. 92+ panthers all share the same rear swaybar design, so if you find a 98 - 02 HPP, grab the rear swaybar off that.

>The nice thing is, you and I have the first year of the last major change to the Crown Vic, which is kind of cool.
having both a CD player and tape deck is a pretty nice bonus too.

only downside is I'm not fond of the hidden antenna. it makes my AM reception absolute dogshit.

[spoiler]what does chowdered mean[/spoiler]