SR vs KA

Which is engine is better and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U_XoeUi4rdU
youtu.be/9aKPNevTxkk
lainefamily.com/hp.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you even have to ask dont buy either stupid fuck

I just wanted to hear other people's opinions, dickhead.

get an rb faggot, 4 bangers are for women and children

>key in the door
Joseph Hui is a shit photographer

yeah but the skyrine makes up for it

>not LS swapping it
what are you? gay?
youtube.com/watch?v=U_XoeUi4rdU

i'd like this picture if it wasn't for the fucking stanced tires on a beautiful car

The ka series is a massive bucket of shit you pleb.

Is that why it has more torque than the SR? :^) How about a turbo KA?

>more torque than an sr
im sure it does, try again lol
>torque
double lol

>turbo ka
still a piece of shit truck engine that was only made to be a shit truck engine

Hello Nate

It's a 2.4 with a longer stroke you bellend. It was also used in light utilities so had to have more torque. The SR likes to rev. Ka is limited by its stroke.

Better for what purpose?

If your looking to just get the ol shitbox moving.
You could go through 5,6 ka's for the price of having and sr swapped in.

SR responds better to mods and has a huge aftermarket. Beware, though; internals are fragile from the factory. Spun bearings are common.

KA is a truck engine and its only redeeming quality is that it can take a good amount of boost when it's forged and all.

>Spun bearings are common.
What a surprise from a Nissan petrol engine

youtu.be/9aKPNevTxkk

>stanced

Kek. That is like perfect wheel sizes. Wide enough to fill the gaurds yet doesn't need camber, tyres not stretched, nismo wheels in based 3p 5 spoke. That isn't stance.

SR master race reporting;

Going 1J or LS if i ever blow it up

Meh, I'm gonna be building a high comp, big boost, e85 KA-T when the cash stack is high enough. Only had experience with one SR and it's barely modded. I just think the KA is a stouter motor than the SR. And i personally like the lower revs, higher torque of tbe KA vs the higher revs, lower torque of the SR.
Both good motors in their own ways.

CA :^)

Up to you op, do you want a grenade or a truck motor?

Anyone know if you can put Coupe rear overfenders on a Hatch?

Could always try it yourself or just buy hatch overfenders...

Been asking around is anyone has an extra i can test fit.

The overs i want are a normal whole 3/4 panel for the coupe and dumb ugly rivet RB looking overs for the Hatch.

Do yourself a favour and slap an rb25det into that bitch

Just buy origin lab overs for the hatch. +30mm is noice without going overboard.

SR, KA was a shitty heavy truck engine that somehow made its way into a sports car

What exactly are you doing?

Also try JP Fiberglass. Decent stuff at a decent price. Has RB reps among others

Don't SR engines have massive valvetrain stability issues?

Both are shit. The ka is a utility engine and the sr has been a flawed design from the moment it was released.

Boi it's the angle of the tires, not their dimension.

tfw you like the ca18

KA is a dual cam I4 L-series. If you cut up a pair of heads, you can bolt them onto an I6 L-series to get a dual cam crossflow L28.

Or you can just RB25 swap it like everyone else. SR20 swap is not worth the time, money, or effort.

>dual cam L28
Sounds interesting and also harder than you make it seem

If you do the work yourself and source parts then just go RB25.

Never go RB20 over SR.

Go SR if you want to keep the car and are going to have a garage do your labor.

Stay KA if you are considering the RB as a viable option after what I already mentioned but want to daily it.

KAs are fine if you already know these cars. Anyone experienced with drifting knows that you can clutchkick a stock 240sx for casual 2nd gear drifting.

Good luck!

Not actually that difficult. You don't have to weld the head sections together or anything, oil and coolant flows up and down each cylinder individually. I'm assuming it takes custom cams, though, as well as custom manifolds.

Quality advice right here

>im sure it does, try again lol

>B13 SE-R with N/A SR20
>136lb-ft @ 4800rpm

>240 with KA24
>160lb-ft @ 4400rpm

Nigga, you dumb.

SR by a mile. it came out in many more nissans than just the silvia. will support up to over 1000hp in turbo form. its a twin cam double overhead valve (chain driven) and has been used in FWD, AWD (GTiR pulsar) and RWD platforms

This is only acceptable if you can't get your hands on an RB25 to boost.

Wow you're so clever user

>cherry picking an Sr thay didn't even come in a Silvia
Try again

Thanks?

Filename.

Nail on head

Not massive, but need rocker arm stoppers for sustained high RPM use.

Sr20det makes more torque
Dont call me retarded when you're trying to defend "huur kart makes more torque than an sr"

Its irrelevant anyway bevause Torque is useless

Torque = Force applied to rotating object or force applied from rotating object, measured as Force over Distance

Horsepower = Torque multiplied by speed in RPM divided by 5252

Nigger, you dumb. But I get the feeling you are only pretending to be stupid for bait.

Or you are truly stupid, one of the two.

Horsepower = acceleration
Forever and always the case with more hp will always be faster
Torque is useless unless you're a truck driver

Gtfo with your retarded bullshit

Poor bait, try again?

Dismissing a post as bait because you feel confronted is lame
So tell me again about this ka24de that makes more torque than an Sr20det? And tell me why torque is so important in a light weight sports car

>pro tips
>it doesn't and it isn't

>oh shit, NA SR20s suck at torque production and they came in silvias
>I know, TURBONIGGER9000 to the rescue

Stop being retarded, a FI KA would still make more torque.

>what was said earlier is suddenly irrelevant when the numbers don't match my imagination

Wew lad.

I'm not the user you are pissfarting around poofter four banger engines with. I wouldn't use either of these things as a starter.

I'm telling you this though; Horsepower is Torque, multiplied by the speed of the rotation, divided by the constant 5252.

You are dumb as a post and have no understanding of power transfer, you silly cunt.

>moving goal posts
user simply said ka and sr
No one uses na sr20s anyway so again it's irrelevant

Next time don't make stupid assertions thay cannot be backed up ;^)

>bbbut this is how hp is calculated
And it's been calculated. After the fact torque remains irrelevant. Horsepower is horsepower.

An engine with more power will always be faster
Torque is irrelevant for performance vehicles

You have rudimentary understanding of performance. Stop posting any time.

The goalposts were set
>how about a turbo KA?
Meaning if you want to compare FI versions the KA still makes more torque. Read more, be retarded less.

>damage control back pedalling
Nothing was said about an na sr. Sr makes more torque, deal with it

Haha western sydney leb detected..

Kebab on lad, kebab on..

>implying the KA making more torque needs controlling of damage

I get it, your ass is chapped. But fret not, you've learned something today.

NA SRs exist, they were placed in silvias, and they make shit torque compared to the KA24.

Again, since you wanted to move goalposts to the SR20DET
>how about a turbo KA?
was already in the post that started this whole discussion. So perhaps you should learn what back peddling and damage control are before you start throwing around buzzwords. Faggot.

I think you'll find you lack a rudimentary understanding of anything.

Torque and Horsepower are directly proportional. Not my fault this basic fact of power transfer escapes your simple mind.

When you say the engine with more power will always be faster, that's correct. The power applied to the drivetrain is measured in Newton Meters, or in Pound Feet, or another force/distance measurement. The combination with the highest power will often be faster, but not always.

Try again for even half a point? Not doing well here, kiddo.

Patrician taste, friend.

Should say the engine with more power will be faster, that's mostly correct.

Case of the ol' verbal diarrhea.

>huur horsepower and torque are related in the calculation of horsepower
Yes, your point isn't relevant though
Once measured, horsepower is the only relevant figure for performance

"Muh ka makes more torque even tho it has no power!!!" Is also Irrelevant, bevause Torque is irrelevant for performance:^)
You see my point? Good. Torque is irrelevant

>more damage control
You said ka makes more torque, it doesn't
>bbbut if I move the goal posts
Yawn

So the turning power applied to the tyres is irrelevant for performance, though it's the rotation of the tyres that propels the car?

You are a basic chappy. You can stop now if you'd like. Or you can keep demonstrating how to dig a hole for yourself without a shovel. You are doing quite well at that.

Again, not interested in your KA or SR. That wouldn't turn the M/E even with the cylinder drains open.

Noone said a turbo sr20 won't make more torque. It was said that an sr20de wont make more torque than a ka24de, which is correct

It wasn't specified whether the det or the de was being discussed

Ok guys

When you're driving a car, you physically can not feel torque. Torque is twisting force in an instant, with no regard for time. When you think you're feeling "low end torque", you're feeling horsepower at a low rpm. You can only "feel" horsepower because it is a measure of work. Peak acceleration happens at peak horsepower, not at peak torque.

A car with lots of torque but not a lot of horsepower will accelerate slower than a car with lots of hp but not a lot of torque. (RPM * torque) / 5252 = horsepower

Having a lot of low end torque doesn't really do anything but widen the power band. And on a track, you only stay in the top 1/4 of the rpm range anyway

Not sure what my point is with this post but yeah. Torks aren't really that important unless you need horsepower at a low rpm eg. towing, or need power over a very wide range of rpms. Which you shouldn't really need to do if your gears are spaced correctly.

Horsepower is NOT a measurement of WORK. Torque is Force AT a distance. Work is force THROUGH a distance. And that's measured in Joules. HP would have to be Joules/Second, which is abstract and silly.

Horsepower is a completely fabricated number, used by Watt to give an indication of the FORCE AND SPEED applied by a working plant. This is found by taking the FORCE and multiplying it by the SPEED, divided by the CONSTANT. You don't feel this, as it's purely a mathematical equation. You can only feel FORCE, which is measured in FORCE over DISTANCE.

Torque is force over distance. Distance can then be extrapolated to time if you have the speed, if you require it. D=SxT.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. Therefore, Acceleration = Force / Mass.

So when you feel acceleration, you are feeling the effects of Force on the Mass of the vehicle. This can be high FORCE on a low MASS, or low FORCE on a high MASS. When you feel acceleration, it is the application of TORQUE to a MASS.

Doesn't matter how you feel about it, that's a smidgen of power transfer in a nutshell.

Let's say you put your drift missile on a chassis dynamometer. It gives you a Horsepower rating.

The Dynamometer has measured the FORCE applied to your wheels, and the SPEED in which the wheel rotates. It performs the algorithm and gives you the Horsepower rating.

Which is nothing but Torque, multiplied by the rotational speed, divided by the constant.

Having a lot of low end TORQUE means exactly that - you can apply lots of FORCE at low SPEED. If you don't have low end torque, you must have a lot of SPEED to generate the same FORCE.

You cannot over-generalise and say with certainty that "A car with lots of torque but not a lot of horsepower will accelerate slower than a car with lots of hp but not a lot of torque." Not only are they DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL, but there are too many variables present to say that's true.

Again, Torque and HP are DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL.

Will you cunts read a fucking book?

>not actually that difficult

If you're fucking hardcore, maybe. Two sets of heads from two different manufacturer part runs off two different cars that have lived two different lives and ergo will have settled differently over their lifetime- It would involve machining the heads in reference to each other rather than an objective point, because I'd hazard a couple thous off would be hell for your snazzy new cams. I remember guys doing something similar for an old Pontiac 6 cammer and I recall them having to fuse water jackets and siamese a few bolt holes, and I'd hazard to say the KA process would be similar- Yeah it can be done, there's the cocksucker out there who cut up 3 KA heads to stick on an L28, but it takes some real engineering.

>ka vs sr
is this 2006 again?

Rb20 > SR every single day of the week, the rb is unbreakable and the sr is a ticking time bomb however the sr will usually perform better (til it blows)

Not him but you're really bad at explaining things

>read a book

where should I start, oh enlightened one

>Horsepower=acceleration

>Acceleration is a function of the change in velocity, and can be derived from F=m*a
>F/m=a
>Rotational torque at the wheels would be the force acting on the mass of your automobile
>QED, horsepower=/=acceleration.

You are objectively wrong.

How can I sum it up any easier? F=MA, A=F/M.

Horespower is simply the output of a mathematical equation using Torque as the input. And they are Directly Proportional.

How much further does it need to be boiled down before it sinks in?

Start with Google, you smart ass fuck. If you still have the Year 8 high school physics text book you opened once to draw a dick in it that will probably help you out, too.

You're a dick dude im not even trying to meme.

>How can I sum it up any easier? F=MA, A=F/M.

yeah I get that

>Horespower is simply the output of a mathematical equation using Torque as the input. And they are Directly Proportional.

Don't forget that RPM is also an input to this equation. Also ya you've said they're directly proportional like 3 times. There are two variables though, torque and RPM.

>Start with Google, you smart ass fuck. If you still have the Year 8 high school physics text book you opened once to draw a dick in it that will probably help you out, too.

Cool thanks for the response

is it not true that the maximum rate of acceleration occurs at peak horsepower?

Yes, it's been repeated a number of times. As it seems that this snippet of general knowledge isn't very general. And it's the entire crux of the system; Horsepower is nothing but a figure derived from calculus to give a snapshot into both Power and Speed, which is Directly Proportional to the Torque generated at that speed.

Yes, RPM is also a variable in the equation. This does not change the fact that the rating of Torque and the rating of Horsepower are Directly Proportional mathematically. That means that the change affecting one, affects the other to the same extent.

As for being a dick, calling out another 'enlightened' cunt sarcastically isn't a great way to meet friends and influence people.

Not in the slightest. Maximum A does not occur at maximum 'arbitrary calculus output.'

Maximum A occurs at maximum F assuming M stays constant. Max acceleration therefore occurs at maximum Force.

If your Force is higher with a higher engine speed, giving you a higher HP rating, cool beans. If Force is highest at a low engine speed, with a low HP rating as engine speed is low, also cool beans. But maximum A occurs at maximum F. Where that lands in your power band is variable.

Lightweight flywheel and turbo WI do loads for a KA. You can build one to 350 hp or so with forged internals, and it'll Rev nice enough.

I found a website that actually explains it well

lainefamily.com/hp.htm

no replacement for displacement

also the SR is one of the worst sounding engines Ive ever heard

why would you bother with a RB under 25?

rb20 sounds amazing, unbreakable, actually fun as hell in its own way turbo lag is actually kinda fun if ur not racing

>huur horsepower doesn't matter because it's calculated with torque
Literally this retarded Roflmao

Horsepower is all that matters
Summoning ND resident tuner of Veeky Forums to put this 1st year engineering student in his place

The SR is a complete heap of shit and it STILL manages to be better than the KA.

Under Suzuki uses what engine in his s15?

RB20 sound delicious and can rev to the moon.

People compare SR vs RB20 power and they're like 'hurr both 2L why bother', not thinking how much less stroke the RB has and how much better the non-pathetic head design is.

yeah and an RB is 200 lbs more weight placed over the front wheels for a more expensive swap

might as well make it worth it and go 25

At which point you need to change half the front end.

The RB20 is damn near a drop in in S13, you even use the same wiring loom with like 3 or 4 changes.

It's also not 200lbs, it's only just over 100lbs. Worth it considering you can now rev out to 8,000rpm all day happily whereas an SR at 7,000rpm will explode like the heap of shit it is

ND doesn't answer to anyone but ND on ND's terms if ND sees fit for ND. ND out.

-ND

~Post authorized by -ND

Really though, Dan, if you're gonna jerk yourself off, do it in private.

Anyone with half a brain would figure out you would compare an na motor with an na motor.

And anyone with half a brain would realize nobody would bother to talk about or swap an NA SR20

All those factory KA24DETs sure are good though, huh

I'm a 27th year MAN Diesel and Turbo Kalibrierung Techniker, you peanut.

So now we aren't allowed to compared NA cars to FI? What about the 2.0 skyactiv Miata vs 1.4 multijet Fiat 124 comparisons? Are those immediately invalid? It's the same thing

That's the worst intake manifold i've ever seen.

Not wrong. Cummins KTA-19-M-380. You won't get more than 50pounds/min through that.

Does the job, and is the OEM part, so it's not going anywhere. Don't even know where this tug is in the world anymore.

I remember this user

The aftercooler is also crammed in there. Just in case it wasn't restrictive enough. You can see the raw water inlet and outlet on the bottom right near the lifting eye.

Bonjour, user.

muh nigga

For what purpose, though?

I seriously can't see anyone designing an intake that bad outside of like the 1910s, goddamn

>Having a lot of low end TORQUE means exactly that - you can apply lots of FORCE at low SPEED. If you don't have low end torque, you must have a lot of SPEED to generate the same FORCE.
You're correct all the way up until this point. The problem is that you're forgetting that wheel speed isn't linked to engine speed. Because we have multi-ratio gearboxes, we can convert speed into (forward) force just as easily as we can convert torque into linear force. 100 lb-ft at 2626 RPM through 1:1 gearing gives the same output as 50 lb-ft at 5252 through 2:1 gearing.

Power is the number that unifies speed and torque into a single unit that determines your total ability to create forward force.