gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12568774.html
hotrod.com/articles/chevy-big-block-crate-engine-build-up/
ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why NOS when you can super/turbocharge?

nitrous is 500 dollars
Refills on even a 15lb bottle is 60 dollars

Turbos and supercharger setups can top 10000

This. Also less wear and tear on the engine during every day operation.

I think p/o/orfags have actually learned a little respect for the respective 4t and v8 camps. If your shitbox has a little engine that already has the piping then of course it makes sense to crank the boost but v8s are more economical to spray.

So is NOS the way to go for a sleeper or something you want to daily? How long does a single bottle last you on average?

V engines should be NOS, because it's simpler and takes less space.
I4 and I6 engines should be turbo.
Superchargers are also ok for Vs but not with high boost.

It runs out

Nos would be a sleeper build, it tears up your engine and it depends on how much you use

Do you need something to pump additional fuel into your system when the NOS is in use though? I know one guy had some sort of setup that switched from pump fuel to 118 octane when NOS was engaged, but I hadn't heard much else on that.

Youre supposed to put nos in your gas.

>Os whatever happened to the nos meme?
With modern computers sending it, you can't NOS on a warranty car unless you want the dealer to invalidate the warranty using the car's recorded computer data.

That sounds like a pricey wet direct port setup with tuning and a small dedicated fuel cell. That means nitrous and racing fuel is pushed through the foggers and and normal pump has goes through the injectors. The high octane quells the tendency for nitrous engines to preignite.

The 500 dollar nitrous kit is a single fogger in front of the mag probably a 125 shot tops.

If you have a decent v8 and the ecu/maf allows for proper a/f compensation/correction then it'll last for a very long time.

The 500 dollar kit is a dry kit with a single fogger****

ITT: stupidity

Nobody uses it on their shitboxes anymore, that's all. The use of nitrous has been professionalised.

Can be more expensive - but they last a lot longer. Your average boost system takes less then 5K if you do it properly, and you can use it whenever you want, unlike spray.

Daily operation, maybe, but iirc nitrous has higher cylinder pressures - basically, it's harder on your bottom end than boost would be.

V8's can make huge power under boost, not just with spray.

Any power adder can be used for a sleeper as long as you keep the hood closed and try not to get make whine/BOV noise/purging too obvious.

V engines can also take boost. Sure, it takes more room, but a twinturbo big block is a pretty easy 1000hp.
Inline engines can also benefit from spray. A monster turbo 2JZ/RB26 will love a shot just to get it to spool.
Centrifugal superchargers can be intercooled, which means they can produce usable high boost. Any engine, V or inline, can be made to take said boost.

Basically, adding nitrous means you need to back off the timing a bit compared to your regular setup, otherwise you get pre-ignition and block ventilation. You can counter this by using a wet kit (fuel + NOS) with high octane fuel, the latter will allow you to keep your aggressive timing and make more power - or delay the timing, and add another insurance to make sure you don't blow the welds on your intake.

Why not nos And supercharger / turbo?

My engine's carbureted, so I wasn't sure what the details were for it. Hooking up a nos kit seems pretty simple though, just something that sits between the carb and the intake with a hose running to a bottle with a switch. I was just thinking of it as an alternative to putting a blower on my motor.

Nobody who turbos or supercharges their car gives a shit about a warranty. Same with nitrous.

If you have something you don't care about then sure it's cheaper.

But to do a proper nos setup you need a new fuel pump, injectors, cooler spark plugs, and a tune. All that for 125 shot maybe 150, after that you need forged internals. You already do most of that for forced induction so in the end you may as well get a turbo or supercharger unit.

$500 kits come with a fuel sprayer as well but your fuel pump needs to have enough pressure to push it so there can be a required upgrade there too, or installation of an additional fuel cell and second fuel pump. $500 does get you a wet kit though.

Nitrous is great for both traditional, positive displacement superchargers (because it cools the intake air temperature), and for turbo's (because it creates a lot of exhaust volume, which will quickly spool the turbine).

When considering a power adder for your enginethink of these things:
They put extra strain on the bottom end. Can your rotating assembly take that beating?

It adds heat to the cylinder. Can your cooling system keep up? More importantly, will that heat damage your piston, or, even worse, cause the rings to expand, butt up, and blow that piston?

Last but not least, you need to make sure the system never runs lean, or it'll go south faster than you can say"17:1 AFR". A good EFI system will usually handle a small dry nitrous shot just fine. On a carb, I'd get the entire system tuned on a dyno in n/a form, then add a wet kit, and measure what it's doing to the engine. Remember, nitrous is cheap, pistons are expensive.

>All that for 125 shot maybe 150
With careful tuning you may get 250 on some engines (mostly some burly factory V8's), if you open up the rings you might get a bit more - it's the heat that kills a stock motor in most cases, not the power.

I'm still trying to figure out just how much more my engine can take. I've got a carbed 403 BBC, it's got fairly low compression, but I'm not sure on tolerances for it.

>The Fast and the Furious came out nearly 16 years ago
>people still refer to nitrous as NAWS

Unless you elaborate on the internals, there's not much to guesstimate. Lower compression might play nice with boost, but that's not always true for nitrous. Besides, if you don't know the ring end gap, it might be way too tight for this. Mostly, a factory big block will take a 125 shot just fine, but anything over that and you'd have to, again, tell us about the internals.

NOS has done really effective marketing though, and they're pretty much the dominating company in the nitrous market.

What about water/alcohol injection?

Seems like cheap alternative to get a slight boost, especially on forced induction engines.

I had picked up the following as a replacement engine for my 403 olds in a TA: gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12568774.html

I was more curious on finding exactly what I need to check for using boost though so I could calculate it for a few different engines. I had started reading on turbos/superchargers, but I hadn't done much research on nos yet, so I wasn't sure if all the same rules applied.

True but a 500 dollar wet kit will probably get you just the essentials of a dry kit with a tee fitting and extra fuel line, fuel solenoid and a nitro/fuel fogger and nine of the extra goodies like safeguards or progressive shot unit.

What's wrong with saying the acronym as a word?

Stupid fuccboi

>Any engine, V or inline, can be made to take said boost.
I know that any engine can take boost, and I've seen crazy TT V8s, but I was just saying that in terms of actual practicality.

I was also kind of thinking about drag racing and nos vs turbos for that and I was unclear because of that. I'm tired, give me a break.

I run Nos on my otherwise stock RT challenger.

100 dry shot b4 the MAFS

I bolt on some slicks when I go to the track and run high 12's

>buying new

MONICAAAAAAAAA

Ameteurs don't use nitrous oxide.

You'll blow yourself you pieces...

>War Emergency Power on a car

even the more recent fast and furious movies have given up on NOS

>captcha: skyline

Underrated

Mostly because of misinformation and retards using it wrong. A 30 shot is like antilag that doesn't shatter your turbine wheel. There's really no reason not to be using it.

So is nitrous

Water/meth injjection is generally a boost aid

>Challenger RT with boost & slicks
>high 12s

Its a 14 second car without either of them

maybe try driving a car that doesn't weigh as much as the average American

Only effectieve if you really require more octane or colder intake air. Significantly lower gains compared to nitrous.

hotrod.com/articles/chevy-big-block-crate-engine-build-up/

The 5.6's are actually pretty underpowered. Go Scat Pack, SRT8 or Hellcat if you want actual straight line speed to go with your comfy landbarge.

>The 5.6's are actually pretty underpowered. Go Scat Pack, SRT8 or Hellcat if you want actual straight line speed to go with your comfy landbarge.

This is why I'd never get a Challenger. They're awesome looking & comfy, but compared to a Camaro/stang they just dont compare performance wise.

perople still use nitrous, like all the time

>I have NOS
>I have a Nitrous Oxide System

>"B-But NOS is brand"

so is Pro-Charger yet people use it to talk about centris

dumb, 17 second tripfag

The base engine still hasn't broken 390hp. It's basically ls1 territory

It's less prevalent among shitboxes though.

LS1 made 345 though. The Hemi 5.7 not making good power is mostly to do with emissions - although the 392 makes plenty, when you consider it doesn't have fancy tech like GM's direct injection or Ferd's DOHC.

If I put nos behind a turbo would the turbo compress the nos and boost the boost?

No. If you use nitrous on a turbo engine though, the nitrous would create heaps of exhaust gas, spooling the turbo rapidly. It'll effectively function as antilag. You probably don't want to use full boost and nitrous though, since your engine isn't likely to hold up.

It's really popular with V8 guys because our engines already make great power NA. The only time I need an extra 200hp is special occasions.

Well, sort of. Putting the nozzle in front of the turbo would cause the compressor to compress the nitrous, but it wouldn't add any more nitrous to the system so you wouldn't make any more power.

But, if you put the nitrous after the turbo, the intercooler effect of spraying a fluid through an orifice will cool the intake charge, drawing in more atmospheric air in addition to the nitrous. So your little 50 shot might net you 60 or 70 or 80 horsepower. Also, nitrous oxide expands greatly when it decays into nitrogen and oxygen gases, which, in addition to the additional power, will flow more exhaust past the turbine and cause your turbocharger to spool up faster.

Yeah, but I need two of the big ones.

And I need them for tonight.

> He never rents cars, puts them on spray for the weekend, and returns them on Monday.

ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/

Too soon junior