Reliable and long lasting cars

So my '99 subaru impreza outback is nearing it's end with almost 400k miles, and I'm looking for a replacement for under $20k that will have a similar lifespan.

I originally was looking at getting another impreza, but then the new civic caught my eye. Aside from awd, is there any reason to pick the impreza over the civic? Are there any other long lasting cars for that price range?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ltaR_CcNAAY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

get an 01-05 civic for 3k.

With a previous owner, what are the chances of it lasting as long as my subaru?

any car will last as long as you're willing to put money into it.

this. op is just a giant faggot.
use 5k to fix it up

most cars will last 200k easily if you just take care of it and stick with it from the beginning. i've seen all sorts of random cars well over 500k just because it had one devoted owner.

06-07 K24A8 accord, reliable as fuck.

That's the point. The older it gets, the more money I'll have to throw into it. I'd rather get a new (cheap) car that will need minimal maintenance that have this one break down every couple months and need costly repairs. Gas mileage is better on newer cars too.

I also know jack shit about fixing cars so I'm doubly screwed when my car breaks down.

You are only digging your hole deeper and deeper

a true Veeky Forums fellow would NOT do this you fuckling

Dude. Listen to me. You want a car that is a tank? 06-07 accord. Mine has 150k and has never ever broken down. The only thing I have had to replace outside of regular maintenance is the motor mounts at 145k. That's it.

Trust me. This car is an amazing car, and it's so well made. It has also aged very well and looks timeless.

Also, for the record I'm driving this subaru till it costs more to repair than its worth.

I just want to have some cars in mind when I need to get a replacement.

Alright thanks, I will check those out. This is what I had in mind.

Also, the only thing you really need to worry about is whether the previous owner maintained it well, try and get a good service record.

Also have a mechanic compression test each cylinder and this will tell you how much life is left in the piston rings.

No matter what you buy it will need work. Put a little bit of money into the Subaru every now and then and it's fine. Cars are only getting built with worse quality

Fair enough, but work every couple months vs every couple years makes a lot of difference to me.

I'm going to keep this subaru going, but once the engine needs to be rebuilt I'm dropping it.

LOL headgaskets

It's not like that at all. Shit will break more often than every couple years

178k and it's fine

Crown Vic/Lincoln towncar/Mercury Grand Marquis run forever. That's why they are fleet vehicles.

>Cars are only getting built with worse quality
Not even close to being true.

Even in a new car? That's unfortunate.

Well in that case I'll definitely look at used cars, given they provide a good enough savings in cost to make it worth it.

It is. Especially in the shitboxes op is considering.

youtube.com/watch?v=ltaR_CcNAAY

Yes even on the new car. It's a bell/bathtub curve. Part defects mainly in the first little bit (first slope), trouble-free driving (flat part), then more failures (2nd slope).

The problem with new cars is that there's too much technology built into them. You'll find that many small mechanics simply can't fix certain problems and you're forced to go to a dealership because of proprietary tech.

Older cars are nice because all the common problems are well-known, you already know about potential recalls, there's no bullshit auxiliary systems like TPMS or back-up sensors, and if you ever get into wrenching there is plenty of material and forums for you to look through and study.

Newer cars may break down less often, but when they do you're hit with a larger bill.

2017 impreza