Dumb But Curious

What exactly stops me from using one of these to haul 18wheeler loads? Like, if I had a custom made differential and transmission to do it, would it work? Or is there a law saying I can't haul an 18wheeler trailer without a class A license and tractor trailer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qru3q_yYaJI
drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/types-of-drivers-licenses/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I believe its a weight limit when it comes to how much you can tow. On the other hand, that thing couldnt get close to that limit.

Well the noodle frame from Ford first off

Certified to 30,000lbs. I just looked up dually. I don't care what brand, just wondering if it's legally possible.
Same statement to you ^^

First objection would be trailer weight. The reefer I have on right now is 8 tons empty. That's the entire load rating of the pickup right there.

Next is that the trailer brakes are air and the pickup is hydraulic with an actuator for electric trailer brakes.

Could I make it a double (crew) cab and have an internal air tank fabricated and rigged up to operate the brakes? The question isn't about cost or practicality. Just possibility.

Gvwr is the max the truck can take period, probably can't go over 45mph, have to take it easy because everything is strained.

Big rigs are over engineered to deal with gross weight again and again for hundreds of thousands of miles. Your frame will bend, driveshaft twist, brakes melt, brake fluid combust, tires burst, turbo blow.

Everything's possible. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I know its impractical but can it be done?

Every vehicle gets shipped with maximum weight limits that no amount of modifications can ever legally raise in the US.

30k is noting when semis pull 100k....

Equip the truck with air for brakes and suspension or get a trailer rigged with electric brakes. You'd still be illegal to haul over the related gvwr for commercial use. But for private use you can almost do whatever you want. If you bought a 18 wheeler and somehow loaded it to 50 tons(remember I said somehow) you could drive it wherever you want without any cdl or special licensing as long as it isn't for commercial use and you have the rig registered and insured

Interesting. Can I buy a rig and drive it around for personal use?

Das illegal

If you have a class A license, sure.

>what's an overweight permit
>what are states that allow higher weights on their state road network

Don't listen to this guy. For personal use yes. Cdl stands for commercial drivers license. It's a literal meaning. You can drive the biggest rig on the road without a cdl as long as you put "not for hire"on the rig in plain sight and it's for personal use

I'm gunna get a paint brush and get some slappy slappy on a rig.

There are semis that have over 44ton weight limits but that's the national regulated weight limit, anything more has to get a permit

You need an air brake cert though

Most people use stickers but you have fun with paint br/o/

You are a fag. You don't know shit and you need to quit talking about things you don't know

Technically with federal law, you are supposed to have a CDL for anything over 26k lbs. But it isn't really enforced when people run over that for personal use.

If you were to stick a fifth wheel in the bed and hook a semi trailer up to it, you would either need an air supply to work the trailer brakes, or you could just cage the brakes and have fun when the trailer overtakes the truck and you die.

People run big fifth wheel trailers off those pickups all the time. I think a lot of those trailers will have electronically controlled brakes that are activated through the power cable coming from the truck. The trucks never last long though. Semi trucks are 500-600HP and 1500-2000+ ft lbs of torks.

Wrong. The regular class D license you get puts a limit at 26,000 lbs. Then there's class C for various things depending on state, and as far as I know class B unanimously are heavy straight trucks and class A are heavy combinations.

The CDL has nothing do with your license classes and permits you to do commercial driving within whatever license you have, otherwise you can only use it privately.

>Gvwr is the max the truck can take period, probably can't go over 45mph, have to take it easy because everything is strained.

No, that shit is primarily legal.

We have a couple 8 ton gross dump trucks that we run up between 10 and 12 tons the majority of the time and we don't often get major component failure. Most failures are due to lack of maintenance of what we perceive to be minor components. I mean, when you loose air the brakes just lock on right? lol.

And these trucks have been running like this since 1993

Pepsi get back in the fishing general so we can make fun of you for living 3 minutes from the ocean but refusing to fish in it

>cdl for anything over 26k
Only if you are driving it for commercial use. Come on guys all this shit is in the book to get a cdl. So any commercial rig that is over 26k yes you need a cdl. For a personal you don't need shit but insurance and vehicle registration

Takin tomorrow off so I can move into this new house even closer to the ocean

the puller needs to be a certain weight of the pulley, if not, the trailer will be in control in certain situations.

Did you just tell me I was wrong and then completely agree with me?
> YOU DO NOT NEED A CDL FOR ANY RIG IF IT'S FOR PERSONAL USE

I was confused after getting mixed responses on this too awhile back. So I read up on the FHMSA or whatever federal laws. As far as they are concerned, over 26k in a straight truck and you need a Class B, over 26k in a combination vehicle is a Class A. And that's for commercial or personal use. But it isn't enforced for shit.

Just look at all of the Penske trucks that anybody can rent to move. The GVWR on those trucks is 30k+ but they always have a 26k sticker on it to keep it legal and if the renter goes over that, it is their fault.

I was trying to find a screenshot of the laws but don't feel like searching for it now.

The "Don't listen to this guy" part was objectively wrong.

Yeah but where are you going to get a Class A that isn't a CDL? Which states even do that?

Even driving a 45,000lb vehicle for personal use, you need the Class A/B but a lot of the other laws won't apply.

How is it even legal to rent those to people without a class B or A? Why isn't there a law saying you can't rent +26k vehicles to class D drivers?

You don't need the cdl>

Don't listen to this guy
>15826380
I'm right

We're both right, you cunt. Stop telling people to stop listening to people who are right.

Because you can have a vehicle that the legitimate gross weight is 26K and people are STILL going to go over that and the funny thing is, it likely won't hurt the truck to go an extra 3k lbs a truly 26k gross vehicle.

Yeah but then you'll actually be in the logical clear as opposed to renting heavy vehicles to people that aren't allowed to drive heavy vehicles and masking everything with a fucking sticker which shouldn't theoretically be legal.

The Penske 26' trucks are far under 26k empty. Those are the biggest ones they rent to normal people. No air brakes and automatic transmission. And like I mentioned, they have the "GVWR: 26,000" sticker on the side so the people renting it aren't supposed to go over that but they often do,

In CDL schools, they always tell you that those rental trucks are the most dangerous vehicles on the road because people have no clue what they are doing with it.

>tfw they wouldn't rent me a tractor trailer when I moved from IL to FL
Penske will only give trucks like that to companies. I signed the rental agreement on this bad boy last week which was strange.

Either way your regular Class D or C license you get when you are 16 or whatever is no good to drive anything over 26k. At least legally.

God Bless the USA...

You should've seen what I had loaded on the 26' International when I moved. That truck struggled like a mofucka driving through the mountains in TN. It was topped full with a car hauler on the back with my Escape on it. So with that trailer and probably weighing in the 30s, you would legally need a Class A.

The legal theory is the legal sticker.

Take for instance Ford's F-250 where you can pay an extra $250 to "limit" the trucks gross weight to 9,999lbs or what ever it is before it goes up a class. Otherwise the truck's gross is 11,xxx

Gross weight is primarily about legal restrictions whether or not the truck is built to handle more or not.

>muh components

Some trucks are notorious for certain failed components even when they were only used for carrying 2 pillows to a drive in theater.

In fact business wise it makes more sense to under sticker it because you know those bastards are going to over load it a little so you don't want them throwing 30,000 lbs on a 26,000 lbs truck, you want the 30,000 lbs on a 35,000 lbs truck.

Unless you have sensors to check load. But then that adds horrors to your maintenance schedule and administration of fighting your customers all the time, so up goes your prices and your ass is out of the business.

Yes, but as said proper big rigs are designed to do it safely, all day every day.
An F450 will be lucky to do it once and driving it will certainly be a character building experience .

It's not about components handling or not handling things. It's about companies renting things to people who are not allowed to operate them.

I'm sure when they wreck the truck weighing 36k, that $40 optional insurance policy won't cover shit and the driver might get a fat fine from the police.

Within their class those vehicles can haul until the cows come home though. Plenty of people use class 4 and 5 trucks as commercial haulers for lighter loads like cars.

And who's gonna pay for the wrecked truck? And why isn't the driver losing his license altogether for such irresponsible behavior?

The driver will get rekt

Not sure how many of those are hitting 400k miles before needing any major rebuilds though.

For some reason I thought he was talking about loads of 44t

You don't get the concept.

A 26k gross truck can handle more than 26k gross. They are rated at 26k for legal reasons.

A 35k gross truck can handle more than 26k gross. You can sticker them at 26k for legal reasons.

What is stopping people from being legal to drive them is the gross weight rating. RATING.

Fuck it is like legally limiting the magazine of a rifle to 20 rounds when the rifle can take a 30 or 50 round magazines.

Why do they sell cars than can go 100 mph, 140mph when the legal limit at max 80?

The previous two scenarios are more dangerous than the one you are contesting.

The 35k gross truck is not inherently more dangerous than a 26k gross truck. In fact it is probably safer if the two of them are loaded to the same gross weight as the 35k gross truck had a heavier TARE weight and is built to handle more, the load size is actually smaller.

How is a 35k ton truck loaded to 30k tons more dangerous than a 26k ton truck loaded to 30k tons?

That car load isn't even that far off from what semi trucks are hauling. That's ~25k on the back of there. A sleeper cab and a 53' enclosed trailer is aready like 35k empty so they are only hauling 40k-45k worth of stuff.

They don't do that well

youtube.com/watch?v=Qru3q_yYaJI

The guy is talking about stepping it up and getting a bigger truck because he is fed up of the shite returns and all the maintenance hassle. You can tell that they prodded him to say positive things about the truck when all he wants to do is scream.

If you're not licensed to drive vehicles above 26,000 lbs then you can't drive vehicles that are rated above 26,000 lbs, and a half assed fucking warning sticker shouldn't change anything about that. The dangerous part isn't the vehicle, it's a driver who has no fucking clue how vehicles this heavy handle in real world conditions. In fact I think even the 26,000 lbs limit is far too high considering that basic licenses come with zero schooling on the properties of heavier vehicles and on trailering.

I agree, imo it should be around 10,000lb

Sure is fucking inefficient if your combinations already weigh 35k empty. Here in Europe they weigh 32k empty and can haul 55k.

Here in Germany it's 7,700 lbs, or 9,400 lbs with a half a day long extra course on trailering which might be a bit low but in my eyes it's closer to the reasonable side than to the unreasonable side of things.

It's the big ass sleeper cabs.

In Illinois, a regular DL is only good up to 16k I believe. There is a Class C for 16k-26k but I think it's just a written test or some easy bullshit to get.

7700/9400 is basically a van - with and without a trailer, right?
what's the rule on 7.5t trucks?

Nah, it's 7,700 lbs for any kind of vehicle or combination (trailer full mustn't weigh more than tow vehicle empty and trailer must have its own brakes if more than 1,650 lbs heavy), and with the course the limit for combinations gets bumped up, but not for vehicles, but I think above 7,700 lbs the weight rule between tow vehicle and trailer doesn't apply anymore.

7.5 tonnes is the next step in weight limits, but you need a completely new license that comes with new lessons and exams at that point, except for people with old licenses with the grandfathered 7.5 tonnes limit on them.

>In fact I think even the 26,000 lbs limit is far too high considering that basic licenses come with zero schooling on the properties of heavier vehicles and on trailering.

Sure. I agree with that too. But that is besides the point.

>If you're not licensed to drive vehicles above 26,000 lbs then you can't drive vehicles that are rated above 26,000 lbs

Dread.
Listen.
The sticker is the rating.
The claimed GMVW is at the manufacturers discretion. That GMVW considers facts like, potholes, corners, speed bumps, speed, rain, and other elements and factors that push the vehicle beyond the weight it displays sat on a scale.

So then these vehicles are built to handle more than 26,000 lbs even if they are rated as such. Other wise you would load it to 26,000 lbs and then a sparrow comes along and cracks that mother fucker in half.

Shocking. Vehicles rated to normally operate at 26,000 lbs can handle more than 26,000 lbs How much more depends on the difference between the sticker and the elastic limit of the most stressed component.

Jesus you people are fucking dense. Pepsiguy is right on all counts. They have non-commercial class A and B licenses. Ever see those "Not for Hire" stickers?

Wrong. You need an air brake endorsement to drive anything with air brakes, a regular license does not allow you to drive whatever you want.

Towing a load easy, Stopping and controlling that load is the hard part.

>OHIO
>Types of non-commercial licenses are Passenger Class D (Driver’s); motorcycle endorsement on a license, and a motorcycle-only license.

>Types of commercial licenses are:

>Class A — any combination of vehicles with a combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, if the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.
Class B — any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a GVWR that is not in excess of 10,000 lbs.
>Class C — any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials and any school bus with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs. that is designed to transport fewer than 16 passengers including the driver.
>Types of endorsements are: H — authorizes the driver to drive a vehicle transporting hazardous materials; K — restricts the driver to only intrastate operation; L — restricts the driver to vehicles not equipped with air brakes; T — authorizes the driver to drive double and triple trailers; P — authorizes the driver to drive vehicles carrying passengers; N — authorizes the driver to drive tank vehicles; S — authorizes the driver to drive school buses; and X — authorizes the driver to drive tank vehicles transporting hazardous materials.

Sauce:
drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/types-of-drivers-licenses/

Follow your dreams, bro.

>

How is a 35k ton truck loaded to 30k tons more dangerous than a 26k ton truck loaded to 30k tons

What are you hauling? small battleships?

How do you even get a Class B or Class A without it being a CDL? Do states actually have that? I wonder what the testing is like, it has to be almost the same.

And the "Not For Hire" thing also gets you out of most of the commercial vehicle laws. You see that on the tractor trailers for race teams and shit. Even if the thing weighs 75k and the driver holds a Class A CDL, I don't think they need to keep logs, follow the hours, or stop at weigh stations and a bunch of stuff like that.

Hehvee dewtee

>Or is there a law saying I can't haul an 18wheeler trailer without a class A license and tractor trailer.
There is, as I recall, a whole set of laws saying exactly that. No air brakes, weight limits, axle weights, etc.

This is here in Indiana

When Do I Need a CDL?
You will need to obtain a CDL if you operate a commercial motor vehicle that:

Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of at least 26,001 pounds; or
Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
Is any size vehicle carrying hazardous materials which requires placarding

For 16k-26k I do believe you need a chauffeur's license. You do not need an air brake endorsement to drive this type of CMV. You also can not drive more than 26k FOR HIRE. It does not say anything that you can not do it for personal use.

At my job we have a dock to driver program where you start with a chauffeur's license and drive this tiny little Kenworth T370 box truck then work your way up to a class B then A. it's only rated for 16k, but has Air brakes. The kid got pulled over in MI for blowing a scalehouse and the DOT said nothing about it.

Is this where you work? I drive for the beer distributor up the road.

da frame

You aren't getting failures because manufacturers don't post the true maximum capacity, they have a safety margin.

One day you'll get stopped and the fines will be.. lol

We have no weighing stations.

Our inspection is based off of 1942 English road worthiness. It actually says it in the legal document. I'll be fine.

dude it would be the easiest thing in the world to dox pepsinigger.

but he's one of the few tripfags that I can remotely tolerate so idgaf.

Samefag