Turbine Power?

Would you drive a CVT car if it was running off of a turbine engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HIFaxA3dj3Y
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_C-X75
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes
but t has to be 2-door
and preferably pop up headlights
youtube.com/watch?v=HIFaxA3dj3Y

that video shows my reasoning for why a CVT could be applied perfectly to a turbine. you'd simply get the engine to nominal operating speed, then adjust gearing with the gas pedal. might need a clutch to disconnect the driveline because engine braking will not happen

no

only electric

CVT mated to an electric motor or a Turbine electric generator?

electric motor

I couldnt care less about turbines

that's not even the thread topic, why are you here?

The problem was there was no engine breaking, I'm sure they might of been more popular otherwise

>Would you drive a CVT car if it was running off of a turbine engine?

I said I wouldnt

directly answering the op

so yes it is on topic

>not blindly roaring through an intersection sounding like an F-104
I suppose you're right, carry on.
electric kinda bores me for some reason. It might be my mechanical engineering degree, but I enjoy a concert of moving parts. Not that electric is bad, I'm just an outdated mindset

Jay Leno said the main disadvantage was low city mpg.

what if jet turbine powered generator drivetrain so you can tell the hippies to fuck off and yet still have dat jet whine?

I would drive an hybrid turbine

would be good

>but I enjoy a concert of moving parts

Chyeah man. Symphony for the soul.

>slowing down

From the Chrysler turbine technical manual, the turbine could in fact have engine braking.

>turbine
>cvt
Are we going for the most unresponsive car ever?

>run a car off an aircraft APU-like generator
could be done

No. Hot exhaust, poor efficiency, CVT.

I have seen one of the real turbine cars in person.

FYI It's at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_C-X75

I would take turbine hybrid. Turbine scales up and down in power and the batteries only serve to handle the transients where the turbine cannot spool fast enough.

well why not
but it would need at least 120:1 fixed gear ratio between engine and transmission

CVT wouldnt handle the power from the turbine

Is gear even needed? Doesnt that thing produce enough torque to have basically only 1 (no) gear?

You need gearing because turbines are very slow to respond. Have you ever noticed how much time it takes for a jet plane to really get going? Turbo lag incarnate.

yeah, they are slow to wake
but when they get going?
HOOOOOOBOY

No, the noise would be fucking nuts, as cool as any sort of Turbine car would be, I couldn't live with the 150+ decibels of noise every time I went for a drive

The whole point of a CVT here would be so that you could keep the jet engine spooled at all times and just vary the ratio to have truly ridiculous acceleration.

The issue is that you would be burning huge amounts of fuel at idle and if you wanted something less than full throttle. It would make more sense to make a turbine/electric hybrid though. Turbines are much more efficient at nominal operating conditions than traditional 4-stroke engines but much worse in transients and start-stop conditions.

In a generator capacity the goal would be to try and slow down the exhaust gas to almost 0 to extract all of the energy. The air flow would be subsonic and whatever exhaust system devised would certainly be used to keep things from getting obnoxious. The sound of the turbine itself is very high frequency so muffling it will be trivial compared to internal combustion engines.