FUCK Veeky Forums, is there really not a compact-midsize modern SUV capable of actual offroading in the US...

FUCK Veeky Forums, is there really not a compact-midsize modern SUV capable of actual offroading in the US? Must I really resort to small trucks or fucking 92 4runners without even a CD player? This search is getting depressing...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YYDkQuP3HAs
youtube.com/watch?v=qLB6pcyoOrc
youtube.com/watch?v=J0A-RE38MBc
youtube.com/watch?v=gwD3p3yx7ZY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>2016
>not bumping cassettes like it's the early 90's

The fuck you want to do that pic related can't accomplish

i dont think you understand how offroading works, son

Xj Cherokee

A Colorado with a box cap or a Jeep is really all you got to choose from.

made in this decade plz
lel @ differentials
>calls son -check , offers baseless criticism without reasoning -check, offroading thread- check
old fart who hasn't offroaded this side of '99 detected

Suzuki XL7/Grand Vitara.

Do you want a reliable, sturdy, capable vehicle or a mom mobile made of plastic inside and out with xm radio and heated seats

unfortunately the colorado option doesn't allow me to seat friends and jeeps made post thisera are for cruising pavement with toddlers or moddled after fiats

WHAT I WOULD LIKE IS FUCKING BOTH

Surely there are enough offroaders to provide a market for an option of reliability and heated leather

Not OP, But wouldn't an older vehicle also require maintenance that needs parts that have been out of production for quite some time? Wouldn't they be more expensive/rare?

Crosstrek with Manuel

abysmal clearance and aftermarket would be sparse

>is now officially a crossover

That's why I said an xj, there were over 3 million made from 84-01 so parts are dirt cheap, and they have one of the most reliable engines EVER made

but my 92 4runner is awesome OP, been to 9 provinces in Canada with it best suv ever probably the best shitboxe I will ever buy

finding parts can be a hassle sometime but if your able to use your computer otherwise than posting meme you should be ok worst part is to actually remove the old one

>best suv ever
What other SUVs have you driven?

Just curious

The newest land cruiser or 4runner you can afford.

The Crosstrek no bullshit has more ground clearance than a 90s 4-runner

chevy equinox, suburban, saturn vue, kia santa fe, isuzu trooper 2, nissan pathfinder

I mean its not perfect, it handle like shit, fender rust so easily and im dying in case of a 80mph front impact but It litteraly goes anywhere and is reliable if your nothing beating her to death every day considering the fact its a fucking 20year old/+ 22re

>slow as fuck
>cvt or shitty feeling stick
>shitty modern car design

maybe I'm wrong, but wouldnt the lifting process go poorly with this and 30s?

land cruiser probably is actually the best, but I'm a little too poor. Modern 4runners are unwieldly as shit and suffer from fewer offroad design points than their predecessors

Typical problems you have when lifting something with independent suspension, CV angles, control arms and such. There are lift kits available for it and it's essentially an Impreza so anything that fits the Impreza will fit the Crosstrek

But that's not what you said user, you said ground clearance

your right but what stoping you from buying a cheap welder and just reinforce the frame, saving the cash from buying a lancruiser

I'm not him, I was just saying why the crosstrek sucks

I agree it's slow as fuck, but the OP is looking for a modern car so you can't really count "shitty modern car design" against the Crosstrek. I don't know what you are on about "shitty feeling stick"

Also according to this probably unreliable website, the Crosstrek 0-60 is better than that of a 90s 4-runner

Nissan Xterra?

It comes in a crew cab... If you want to go off-road you're going to have to get a truck or buy a pavement pounding crossover. You can't be picky in a situation like this.

>SUV
>offroading

Jeep Renegade

DESU as far as compact after 2008 this is the best option for all of the nitpicking you want

>implying the TOYOTA tacoma prerunner isn't the GOAT

Its called a 1996-2002 4runner op u dumb shit

>Nanny electronic bullshit controls.

Even when the TCS and ESP is fully """off""" it still kicks back on at like 35-45 mph or around there. You can't even do hektik snow drifting. GG FCA you fucked the JK hard.

TJ was the last good Wrangler.

:^)

>made in this decade plz

This. Throw a hard top canopy on it and you have twice the cargo capacity of a similar sized SUV.
Shame we didn't get the SUV version of the Colorado though.

4Runner Trail, although yes they have much more damage prone plastic bumpers than 4Runners of yore. Still somewhat reasonably sized, and reasonably priced once you look at what people paid for 4Runners back in the 90s and adjust for inflation (hint: they're cheaper now).

Well.... it depends on what you want to do.

In reality, a Ford Escape, a RAV4, CR-V, etc are capable of things that would surprise you. My Mountaineer certainly surprises me each time I take it out, and try to get stuck. Honestly I think it's funny seeing all these decked out Jeeps on trails that don't require 4WD or high ground clearance.

get a 00 4runner limited.

it even comes with auto climate control and a CD player. not to mention probably has some of the best support ever and the engine will outlast you

>although yes they have much more damage prone plastic bumpers than 4Runners of yore
Eh, honestly, if something as trivial as a bumper is stopping someone from purchasing a particular for offroadan, then they probably shouldn't be in the market for such a vehicle.

Sure, you don't have to go and spend on a flagship ARB bar, as I'm certain even Toyota offers dealer fitted bars out the door.

COmes down to the right tool for the job, honestly I love Independent suspension and the soft cushion it provides. Solid axles have their purpose on farm equipment, not for a nice stroll through the woods.

You don't need a crazy gnarly off road rig for probably what you want to do. And if you want to do gnarly shit, well a cheaply built rig will break and leave you stuck too.

There was literally a early '00's 4Runner at the mechanic having the heads resurfaced and gasket replaced.

God I hate how the internet worships toyota

i'd say 1st - 3rd gen 4runners are probably the best looking. everything after that was pretty much a new soccer mom car.

same with any post 1997 land cruisers. all flair

>drive '95 suzuki SIDEKICK 4x4 GLX
>1.6l 16v 5 speed manual.
>5.125:1 axle ratio

>without even a CD player

my 'zuki has a flip-out touch screen with 4 6x9s in separate boxes, and a 15" Memphis sub. powered by two hifonics amps.

better audio system than you get in any production vehicle. stop being a casual

Wow, stop the presses everyone, a guy saw a (insert make model with legendary reliability) with (insert mechanical problem), must mean they're actually crap and it's all a big conspiracy!

WTF I hate Toyota now.

heated seats, climate control, audio and a/c controls on the steering wheel. Best ~$2-$3.5k you'll ever spend.

probably would have been fine, but i'm sure the owner took shit care of it for 17 years. you're retarded.

sorry for the butthurt

>FoMoCo product

>best spent

kek

Is yours a V8 or V6?

DESU I've seen way too many with bad transmissions, rattly timing chain guides (v6), failed transfer cases, failed rear diffs, failed wheel bearings, prematurely wearing balljoints to ever seriously consider a 02-05 Explorer, but I will agree that you get massive bang for the buck. I'm more of a 95-01 Explorer guy, although they too had their share of issues.

>best looking
Thankfully, I'm more concerned with substance of style.

>substance of style
Fuck you iPhone.
over*

damn mate. that's a brilliant pic.

SeeMy brother just recently had to junk a customer's 04 that had a V6 with both a blown headgasket (164k miles), and upon tear down he found that the rear timing chain 'cassette' was shot. Engine out job because the SOHC-adaptation of the Cologne 4.0L (originally a decent OHV motor) is such a half-assed shitty motor. Luckily he had another junked Explorer at his shop ('02 with a blown rebuilt transmission), so he swapped the transmission out of the '04 into the '02 and sent the lady on her way.

Let's see the vaunted Mountaineer tackle something even half- as technically challenging:

youtube.com/watch?v=YYDkQuP3HAs

As far as I can tell that is a stock truck, with 265/75R16 all terrain tires and not much else done to it.

comfy!

i fucking love this picture. what a truly marvelous car

Thanks br/o/, have another

Considering and '06 TJ Wrangler Rubicon.
6 speed manual. Everything works. 122k miles.
It very good condition, no oil or fluid leaks visible anywhere. 4.0 i6 runs great.

Thoughts on the TJ Veeky Forums?

The thing that makes me sad is that there's very little price differential between an unmodded JK and the older TJs. When I was looking at good-condition TJs they were around $15k, so I thought why not spend an extra $3-4k more and get a newer model with a better engine and lower mileage? It's hard to find value in Jeeps unless you only want to buy Jeeps.

>no flex at all
>cant keep 4 on the ground ever

>offroading with sway links on

"weekend warrior"

>europeans
>in charge of offroading

youtube.com/watch?v=qLB6pcyoOrc

>JK
>Better engine than TJ

I think you completely missed the context of that post you drop kick.

>Made it up the climb in a stock truck

I'd love to see a stock XJ or non-Rubicon Wrangler attempt the same climb.

You just gotta believe.
youtube.com/watch?v=J0A-RE38MBc

Okay that was fucking awesome.

I offer to you some Russian offroading:

youtube.com/watch?v=gwD3p3yx7ZY

R51 pathfinder.

This.

Meh, these always struck me as worse Mitsu Montero IIIs

In the US you had to pony up to the LE trim to get a multi-mode style transfer case with a viscous coupling to allow for a 'full-time' mode. Mediocre clearance, poor articulation. They are pretty plentiful and much cheaper than 4Runners at least. VQ40 makes some very healthy power.

More of a comparison to the Challanger/Montero/Pajero/Shogun Sport than the full size SUV.
Still a serious off-road contender regardless.

I reckon the IRS and general outside dimensions and weight make them comparable. Yeah the Mitsu probably has more interior room.

you have to resurface the head everytime you change the headgasket.
What's so wrong with changing headgaskets? It's a normal procedure.

Nobody gives a fuck about your shitpost suv

Not true, I kinda like it.

What fucking pottery. Wants substance over style, buys an iPhone. Many keks.

All the ones we get in aus have proper locking transfer cases as well as 2wd and awd modes.

Can also get heaps of clearance and decent travel out of them. Traction control also drags there asses up heaps of things anyway. Also comfy as fuck.

ok good to know. I'm in Canada and there's TWO TJS for about 14k each. 2005 2006 models with manuéls.

>Wants substance over style, buys an iPhone
Fucking rofl, I'll pay that. 10 points.
In my defense, it was a freeby. And although the old iPhone4 is a shit cunt to use, it's pretty damn reliable. The inner weeb in me is currently awaiting the Xperia XZ release.
Shame there's nothing american originated that's competitive (apart from the mentioned substanceless iPhone lol).

Yeah it's definitely cool to see one of those used as intended, but shit talking Toyota quality when one drives one of those is laughable at best.

If I found a clean V8 (thus avoiding shitty Cologne SOHC and questionable auto tranny) with full history, for a good price I'd take a gamble.

trailblazers are cheap and not complete shit

Suzuki Jimny

embarrassing

yeah I mean it's a typical GM in that it might be a total shitheap with an interior that's worn out looking and half the accessories inoperable but the fucker will just not die. Every single one I see on the street I can hear it coming, suspension clanging away. Also known to shit transfer cases.

these always seemed pretty cool, they can't be that bad off road either.

This is why the tj costs almost the same dude. The God tier straight 6 AMC 242 engine. The jks have a minivan engine. Literally a chrysler town and country v6. If they announced a new jeep with a straight 6 300ci engine I would buy it instantly but fuck the v6

They're super fun trucks, the only one big failure is how soft and prone to bottoming out the stock leaf springs are, the payload of these things is a measly 895lbs because of that I figure. Easy enough to fix, but really they should have gone to a 5-link coil sprung setup like a 4Runner. 6spd+VQ40 is fun as hell to drive around town.

Very interested in one of these, thinking it may be my next purchase. What offroading build guides does anyone know of? I know about getting basic stuff like skid plates and 30s, but when it comes to "better" suspenions, axles, differentials, or anything beyond that I'm dumb as shit, is there anywhere that has an Veeky Forums or /org/ approved offroading focus to learn all of it or am i stuck digging through wikipedia?

2001 ford expedition? Kinda the son of the Ford bronco.

Get a first gen CRV

FJ CRUISER?
TOYOTA FJ CRUISER!?
FJ
CRUUUUUIIIIIIISE

The suspension on the R51 Pathfinders is not as sturdy as on Pajeros and the transfer case is simpler. I don't think you can get a manual RD lock on them either.

> the Mitsu probably has more interior room
Pathfinder actually has more room for the driver (Challenger is surprisingly cramped if you're over 6'), and generally better interior quality. This comes at the expense of room for rear passengers.

Oh, forgot to mention that all of that applies to new (08+) Challengers. First-gen ones come with shittier AWD mechanics, shittier suspension and are extremely prone to rust.

Honestly starting out I'd leave well enough alone and just run some easier trails and see where you're at. Pro4x comes with 265/75R16s stock (31.5 ish inches), so if you get a 'lesser' model just get some good A/T tires in that size. I'd definitely look into the rear leafspring issue (I'm sure you'll see it for yourself).

So yeah, no need to just immediately jump into a huge expensive build, I've always been amazed by people's focus on this. Just drive the damn thing and then upgrade with what it truly needs according to how you use it.

FWIW I was referring to R51 vs Pajero/Montero III. I LOVE the seating position and layout of the Monty, feels like the dash is at knee level with insane visibility. Conversely I hate the R51, either my knees are too close to the dash, or I'm too far away from the steering wheel. I'm just overall not a huge fan of the R51 but to respect the value that it presents.

I've been hunting for a clean Montero III here in the US for literally years on and off. Test driving a one-owner '02 Limited with full maintenance history (145k miles), fingers crossed it isn't a heap.

Older is better

The engine is really good. My interior isn't too shit and mostly everything works except my speedometer +nearly every analog gauge except the tach. Speedo is usually broken but I did a trick to fix it for a little while

Isuzu is best also land cruisers