Ball head hex vs straight

>Ball head allen wrenches vs straight heads, the great debate

So today after working as a master tech at a airplane hangar for about 8 years, I was told by a new tech that I am trainning, that I am not a proper mechanic.

I switched to ball head allen wrenches a few years ago because of how fast and efficient they are. Today this new tech, who I was trainning, noticed my choice of hex keys, and said he couldn't believe I used them. According to him they are terrible and strip everything. After this, he then also preceded to tell me my 12 point sockets were also inferior.

Why do these old stubborn hill-billys perpetuate tool myths? Do they feel better about their shit tier inferior tools when they do it?

>Anyway, tldr; hexadecimal keys: ball or straight, what do you use.

Ball head for screwing it in, straight for tightening

>8years
>master tech

WELP I GUESS BY THAT LOGIC IM A ELECTRONIC SECURITY SYSTEM AND ELECTRICAL MASTER

You're a shitmaster, if anything.

I've never had issues with ball ends. 12 point sockets are the work of the Jews though.

Not sure if your retarded, but a master tech is someone who had to take tests and study a field of mechanics extensively to get the rating and certification of master. In fact even auto mechanics do this so....

This.
That's why the short end is straight

If you build engines you're going to use a lot of 12pts, especially with arp hardware.

>not knowing what a master tech is

You must be 18 to post here children. Pic related.

This. Also many industrial machines. I work in a manufacturing plant as a line tech, and when you get hired they require you to have 12 points.

This.

p.s. fuck the ones with retaining rings

I hate 12 points

But 12 point sockets are for 12 point bolts.
6 points are for normal 6 point bolts

>hexadecimal keys
hexadecimal has nothing to do with allen wrenches

ball head?
only for doing it finger tight or AFTER you broke it loose.
if you use it on a stainless bolt you are retarded, that shit is going to be fucked up for the next guy.

>12 point wrench
just dont force it
>12 point socket
worst choice possible for general work.

you want to have the most amount of surface area touching the bolts/nuts.

4 for four
6 for six
8 for eight
12 for twelve

yeah, for some random piddly shit that you are not torqueing down to spec, fine, grab whatever.

taking the bolts to spec, i will slap your torque wrench out of your hand if you use the wrong socket and dry run that bolt.

12 points have uses, but very few. I can't count how many bolts I've started to strip by using a 12 point socket. Box end wrenches are always good, but I've never seen a socket that works that good.

Really the only reason I own 12 point sockets is because I drive tow truck and I need them for driveshaft bolts.

>not having hexadecimal wrenches.

What are you using binary. Faggot

I know what a master tech is. Someone who uses straight allen wrenches.

Sure you do... let me guess, thus picture is you and your cousin "working" on cars

My bondhus L-type allen wrenches have the ball end on the longer end and the standard type on the shorter end for more torque. The ball end comes in handy especially for installing fasteners easily, but to undo a potentially tricky fastener under higher torque I'd recommend the use of the standard end which provides more contact surface area and reduces the chances of cam-out, stripping, or whatever you want to call it.

Just my $0.02
I hate 12 points for removal they do tend to cause stripping on older rusted shit.
use the right tool for the job. That being said I totally use the balls Especially for those fucking ones at just the wrong angle to get my hand in.

I aplreciate your comment, but you don't have to tell us it's your two cents. If your post comes from you, it's obviously your two cents. Everyone who posts is giving us their two cents. Just post your comments and deal with the results you beta worrier.
>I want to post my comment but I don't want people to think less of me on an anonymous board...

How is anyone even putting enough torque on the ball end to strip anything?

In the 2+ years I spent as an industrial mechanic, we only ever stripped a bolt or twisted the wrench when we were using the shorter, straight side.

Ball end is great. Tell that cocky bastard that a "proper" mechanic can use a shitty Stanley set and fix more than he can.

OP here. I agree with you my brother, but as the senior master tech, I have to train these knuckle heads and be politically correct for human resources (I have earlier stories where I got in trouble for speaking my mind ). So as you can imagine, I can't really argue or belittle the guy. I just have to ignore it and move on. On the plus side, I've trained many of his ilk before, and I can say without a doubt he will wash out 3 weeks in when it becomes turbine PM time, pic related lol.

I don't know any good techs that actually spent the time to get all their ASEs. Very few shops care about them at all, and most that do are cheap independents that feel they need the sticker on the window/patch on shirt to show customers they aren't completely inept

>use ball head to screw in most of the way
>stop to swap over to other side for straight allen for tightening
>literally wasting hours in a year
>would fire immediately

Agreed. Been in the performance car world for 10 years. Don't know anyone who took the ASE test that work in the industry. I am friends with probably 20 different shops. The only guys who are ASE are the boomers that own normie shops for old ladies.

Top kek. That's a hillarious comment. When you work at a actual garage tech and master tech designation is very important. Certain jobs are designated for master techs as well as the seniority of the shop. Not to mention troubke shooting and learning new systems. Also promotions and raises are based on this. Any place thay isn't some hill Billy junk yard will definately have several master techs per shift, as well as almost all profesional garages or dealerships. Your anecdotal evidence bears no resemblance to actual repair shops.

>Le boomer meme

This is how I know you've never worked in a legit mechanics shop.

Every shop has master techs as well as techs and trainees.

Everything you said is complete nonsense. When you work on actual high end stuff (like I do) the only thing that matters is factory training and experience. Not a single person I work with has any ASE cert. Performance reviews and promotions have to do with, shockingly, your performance, not taking a generic multiple question test where maybe 5% of the material is relevant to your brand.

>hey guys the shitty euro independent garage I work at represents the rest of the world

Sorry bud, there's a reason it exists. And there's a reason it's still around.

Pro tip, just cause you can repair electrical wire doesn't mean your a certified electrician I'd trust at my house.

>12 point sockets
had them strip so many fucking heads, p.o.s. imo.

yeah and when you work in a dealership you get bumped up to be thrown into training courses when you're the guy with all your 'useless' certs.
And then if you move or want to check out other jobs you've got all those certs, years of experience and a shitload of training on manufacturer specific systems.

>According to him they are terrible and strip everything. After this, he then also preceded to tell me my 12 point sockets were also inferior.

right on both. ops a faggot

also i have like $1k in 12point sockets from bluepoint and snapon. also snapon usa ball point hexes

they're inferior

>implying anyone wants to work for a dealership
There is more money in the tuning world and it's a fuck load more fun.

>he paid the ASE mafia and now he has to defend his cucked choice

I don't work at an independent. Since you will never work on high end cars I'll just let you know how it works in this world. For my current job I was interviewed by an 8 person panel and grilled on diag ability for 2 hours. They went back 7 years into my work history and contacted every reference I gave before making an offer. When performance reviews come around they look at my effectiveness on the cars I actually work on, not whether or not I know how Technician B should use a crimp on an airbag wire or not.

hahahahahahahahaahah Dealerships do. Literally none of the performance shops around me in Houston have an ASE master tech. The same shops that do lambos, ferrari, porsche, GTR's, camaros etc. Sorry you got conned. Keep throwing money to that baby boomer, oreillys level shit. No one cares anymore. Specialized industry is all about word of mouth, grandpa.

Lol is this your first job? Every mechanic job I had was with a panel interview. And everyone of them does a 7 year backround check. That is standard of all jobs you retard. Do you have anything worthwhile to post?

>mad no one else has fallen for the ASE IRL meme

Why would the jobs you work at put all the trouble/man hours in to checking you out then actually put any value on a generic test with little to no relevance to your actual work? Your story just doesn't check out. I'm guessing you work at a chain tire/brake shop.

>implying any tuner shop will pay more then a stealership which as you called it, literally steals money for its employees and company.

Pic related. Notice the part where 80k is the veteran highly certified pay dumb ass.

He just got his first job at Tims Auto Service. "We fix corvettes and jaguars, family owned since 1955!"

No young mechanics in the performance world give a flying fuck about ASE.

Ohhhhh shit, thus nigga literally proved master techs and dealership mechanics make bank.
All these niggas btfo

>googles pay range
>MAY
ahhahahahahaha. The guys at my shop get paid $17/hr PLUS comission on each job. They get to take the several race cars to the track if they want. They use the company trailer. The get to drive high end cars and 1000+ whp cars all the time. They are highly specialized. I, and I am not shitting you one bit, field calls from the local Nissan dealer monthly. They call US to ask how to fix things on GTR's, 300zx TT's, and modified 350's.

There's a big brave world out there kid. Go check it out. My buddy just got a job working for a dodge viper tuner that does 1k_+ whp vipers all day long. Makes a TON of money.

>googled "how much do audi techs make"
>proof
LOL
>didn't post how much high end shop mechanics make

You do realize nearly everyone, including me and likely the other performance shop guy, got their start at large dealerships right? Do you really think you are going to know something I don't? Could you make 80k a year at Audi as a tech? Sure, busting your ass on flat rate, if you are getting fed gravy jobs. Do you need ASEs to do it? No. Factory training? Sure but that's not something you would seek out on your own, and if you service manager chooses who goes to factory training according to how many ASEs you have chances are you aren't making 80k because your SM is a retard.

>didn't post your pay stub
LOL embarrassing.

Six point socket with breaker bar to loosen
Twelve point with ratchet for the rest

Good thing they didn't ask you how vette suspension works, fag.