/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Do not trust trees or elves edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5595
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1st for fuck kobolds

Post Forts

Some migrants have arrived.

Yeah, with dfhack you have the twbt plugin and set the font/fullfont lines to the text set, then the graphics font/graphics fullfont lines to the graphical/map set and print mode: twbt for the basic effect, you can also toss in overrides for items and shit.
Will do.
As a fellow retarded, it's ok.

Oldish one of mine. I ended up fortifying it a bit, changed a couple things around, but this remains the essence of the project.

I will post bote until toady adds boat in the game and we can have real fishing in the game

nth for cutebolds

Thanks. Didn't realize it required DFHack, which is fine. This will give me the chance to doodle out some animals and gobbos etc. Praise the Miners!

Nice layout, I like that tapered design. Das a good tileset and color scheme you got dere

Tanks mate.
And I settled on using Taffer's stuff a good long time ago.

Yar, twbt is a neat fort mode bit of eyecandy help. To see different overrides and whatnot you can check the gemset files, though they actually bump into and go beyond the limits of what twbt can do by overriding everything. A nicely done text/map set and a few overrides is more than enough for a good twbt set really.

'm probably retarded but I can't find a way to see what's in a bin, what am I missing?

Your not even relatable able

You loo(k)ed at it and it doesnt show the contents?
Pro tip, bins are best avoided, they cause issues with dwarves not finding items and are generally buggy.

>What sort of rooms should I be thinking of while working on my layout plan? So far I've got
>>farms
>>bedrooms
>>workshops
>>storage

Yep no I'm indeed retarded, it was just a bunch of empty bins.

I'm going to go slap myself now.

I can be reloteboteble

Newest pic.

This game would be half decent if it wasn't for all the crashes

Question, so im trying to make my own tileset but theres something cool i want to take from grim fortress but dont know how he did it. The floor is not black with just . ,, ., . colored but the squares of the floor are actually colored. How do i achieve that?

My game almost never crashes, but I keep my forts quite small, only 100ish dwarves usually

Modern Dorf Fort is such a seedy place.

What determines whether or not my dwarves decide that various finished goods belong to them personally instead of being available to trade with merchants? The dwarven merchants requested bracelets, but I really don't want to make a blinged out gold bracelet encrusted with every gem I've got only for Urist McHauler to say "That's MINE now! All mine, nobody else's!"

Repeated decoration of an item does not increase net worth more than spreading those decorations around.
Just stick one gem per bracelet and the loss due to any one bracelet will be marginal.

Ok, but I'd still like to know how to avoid having random dwarves commandeer my shiniest shinies just for the lulz. I have only so much gold.

can i make a graphic set that separates the dwarves girls from bois?

>
Nope.

I haven't crashed since July 2014 when I tried to talk to god on purpose to cause a known crash. That's not to say there aren't plenty of known crashes, but they're very infrequent and almost never game-breaking.

Apparently, you can make a room out of an outdoor cage, but you can't use it for justice.

What the fuck is a grown birchen litheme? The gaylves are selling one

Probably an instrument

That's so fucking gay, I think I'm going to murder them.

What would you suggest over bins?

So, if i want to use a river head to make a waterfall in my main meeting area and have it flow off of the map, can I just dig to the side of the map to have it do that? Or can it only go off map through rivers?

Is there a way to plant a fruit to get a tree that produces said fruit?

Apparently Toady forgot to allow image specification on earthenware statues. Now what am I supposed to make a statue of the dwarven god of earth out of?

tavern, temple(s), library, nobles' luxury rooms, barracks

Sprawling stockpiles or letting things pile up in workshops seem to be the main alternatives. Some people might say quantum stockpiles, but I've never used those. They seem like a lot of hassle and kind of cheaty.

I don't think you can dig the edge of the map, though that might have changed. I think water will flow off any map edge if it can get there though. I'm not really sure about any of this, however.

I don't think so.

Any tips on Adventure Mode? Kinda just started, what should i do?

Get friends, make sure you set yourself up to be near shelter each night, fill your backpack with water, and don't hesitate to run from a pitched fight.

A lot of folks like to train their adventurers on harmless kinds of animals before moving on to real threats.

Don't be intimidated by the attack selection menu.
Blows to the head, neck, and torso can kill or disable an enemy easily, but are the most armored on humanoid enemies. Until you get extra good, make sure to pay attention to any gaps in their armor, disable or maim a limb when the opportunity presents to cripple them, then target the vitals, or else move on to a still dangerous foe.
As long as an enemy is holding a bow or crossbow, they're dangerous. I've lost more adventurers to a stray silver arrow than anything else.

What military improvements do you look forward to the most?

Siege equipment/tactics?
Proper Mounted combat?
Army composition/formations?
Potential new weapons?
Artifact/innovation incorporation into hostile armies?
Throwing weapons (I assume these will happen eventually) ?

I'd honestly just be happy if my marksdwarves would grab their assigned ammo rather than charging into the fray of battle.

this . I want a group of dwarves to patrol my walls and shoot at people from safety, rather than charge in stupidly.

When Toady gets to boats what do you all think he'll do in regards to naval warfare?

He said he isn't entirely opposed to the idea of naval guns aside from the fact that it opens the can of worms that is gunpowder. Maybe we'll see some old-fashioned boarding/ramming stuff?

Goblin galleys driven by slave oarsmen ramming and boarding to enslave/loot/ransom their victims
Human/Dwarf longships and galleons with ballistas and firing ports
Elf junks floating around and being all extravagant before being set ablaze by one of the above

How do I get started?

Seems like a fun game.

There is literally a pair of sections in the OP dedicated to guides for new players.

Thanks, I guess

Ignore him.
Download the game, use the wiki when you need to (and yeah the stuff in the OP helps), and if you can't find an answer to your question, we'll probably have one for you.

Thanks. The game seems a bit overwhelming. I'm trying to find greentexts and stories on what happened to players. That always gets me going.

Same thing happened with Rimworld.

It's really not too hard once you figure out how to produce the things you need for a fort. Like I said, wiki's your best friend, and if the wiki fails you, ask us.

Did you just imply Rimworld was a bit overwhelming for you?

I... I think DF is not the game for you.

>no kobolds
as it should be

So this human chemist is visiting, but he's in a (very slowly) draining pool. Should I be worried?

Any Rimworld players in this general? I want to give you a knuckle sandwich.

I play Rimworld on a casual basis, mostly at work because office computers suck and won't run anything else.

Come at me bruv

Has a lot of potential, but it's way too limited by trying to be an entertaining gaming experience. Plus, the community with all of its shitty bloat mods ala Masterwork is utter cancer.

>human chemist visits
>stands in a pool of water for days
>try to tell him standing around in deep water is dangerous
>his reply is "I AM THE DANGER"

I did play Rimworld for a while.

It was good because it made me return to DF.

lol, I had a weregila come attack us. It went for him first and then turned into a human and ran away even though I had my dwarves standing right outside the pool. Next time I'll make sure they're ready.

What do you use to draw with?

if a werebest bites a dwarf bruising a muscle is it 100% sure that he's infected?
my military commander just soloed two werepanthers and I'd hate to have to put her down

>click on some tile
>game crashes
>reload save
>suddenly, can't go a minute without this happening

Well, this is annoying.

The teeth must pierced the skin. No penetration no infection.

>The werepanther bites the militia commander in the right upper arm, tearing the muscle through the sheep wool dress!
>Many nerves have been severed!
w-will she be okay?

Boats had catapults, balistas, fire throwers..

>No penetration no infection.
lewd.

>click
found your problem

Maybe. Lock her up just to be sure. If she doesn't turn within a month, you can let her go.

How do I kill angels

Find pointy thing and stabby-stabby, or find a big blunt thing and bashy-bashy.

Hit them until they die.

Have you tried turning them off and then turning them on again?

you need to use your shout first to make them fall from the sky

kek'd

Nothing shall stand in her way.

If I retire an adventurer at one of my fortresses can I heal him?

Not sure. Sometimes it's possible to "miss out" on healing a character if he doesn't get to the hospital in time. However, I've seen old unhealed injuries get healed the next time the dorf in question gets hurt. So maybe you need to give your adventurer a new injury in order to get the old ones healed.

Well, my adventurer has an infection on the neck and as far as I know you can't heal it in adventurer mode, so that's my only option.

Or does transforming into a werebeast heal infections?

Infections can't be healed in any mode. They can be prvented in fort mode by cleaning the wound with soap, bu onc they occur, you have to wait them out and hope that you survive.

Really?

Well, I guess I'll just wait then

>tfw you just found out that the demon leader of the gobbo civ you're warring against was set free by a goddess of fortresses of your civ, "so that fortresses may be tested in battle"
A surprisingly big part of my population worships her. I'm a bit ambivalent. Of course it's good that she's bringing the fun to me, but my current fort isn't combat oriented and the sieges are a bother.

Yes, transforming into a werebeast even regenerates severed limbs. Someone once did some trickery to duplicate werebeasts by equipping them in full steel save for a single limb then making them go unconscious on a bunch of glass serrated disk traps which pinged off the armoured bits and cut off the unarmoured bits. Then the severed bis would be reanimated via necromancer, and they would all turn into werebeasts at full moon, fully regenerating a new dwarf per body part. If I remember correctly. It may have been done differently.

benis

What are some fun beasts to play in Adventure mode?

elves

>cut evry tree but the one you want fruit from
>wait a couple years
bum
But no, unless you already have one tree, you cant
Tree planting isnt in the game yet. I suppose it could be used as a way to befriend the elves. Mass planting trees n your country

You're making that up. Becoming undead of any variety removes werecurses.

Too much for list them. The military part of the game is one of the biggest cool stuff it has right now, but its actually one of the buggiest and underrated too
>proper AI
>More control on how things get done in groups(carefully, defensive, tactic, agresive, etc.)This could work too when you are autoatacking, to define how the player should battle(although it'll probably depend from your personality)
>Ability to call, command and tell them to not atack in adventure mode, based on their respect towards you, and their personality
>Mass, automated looting, so They can upgrade their armor without me telling them to do so
>spies and commanders, ranks and glory
>Strategical Ai when commanding wars sounds amazingly good, but also really tough to program

Fucking greeks had water-proof-fire throwers
We'll find a way
No but really, if we ever get to use multi-tile objects, ropes for example, their biggest utility will be in climbing and pirating ships
>fun
You are about to leave your old life back. Say farewell to your loved ones, and endure the ride

Become a demon

Nope, you are wrong, what says is true, I read about it too
Pretty bizarre thing

Tried to find the original thread I saw it in on the bay12 forums, but couldn't. Regardless, if you google around you can find multiple mentions. It was patched some time ago though, and undead can no longer be werecreatures.

Download the game, extract zip, run game
Generate a world, then it takes you to title screen, select Start Playing
Choose a location to embark, press f to find a desired location, I recommend parameters 2x2 embark square, No aquifer, Yes metals, Some soil
Press e to embark once you find a good spot
Prepare for the journey carefully. Google a good embark profile, typically you want a couple miners, carpenter, mason, metalsmith, farmer...
Tab over to items, take more seeds, more booze, press n to add items- coal is good to bring
Press e to start.

Make sure u read the controls at the bottom of the screen as you generate a map and as u go through the preliminary embark screens.

Look up some YouTube tutorials

Only struggle makes us better, user.

Embrace it.

It was a bug that lasted for all of a month in 2012. bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5595
He probably read about it on TVtropes, which is font of bullshit and misinformation about DF.

>TVtropes
Fuck I hate that site. Used to lurk on it back in high school, but I gradually realised how retarded it was.