8k cash - Buying First car

I'm at that exciting and disappointing step of actually purchasing my first car.

-8k cash
-Can make small payments for a while
-Daily driver (hopefully for 4-5 years)
-I live in a place that gets snow and of course, salt

Magical goal: Is there anything cool/fun I could get that would also be reliable enough to be a daily driver for my pretty small cash pile?

What milage should I be looking for that would fit the above requirements?

Any general tips? Anything to stay away from?

Other urls found in this thread:

ottawa.craigslist.ca/i/autos
belleville.craigslist.ca/cto/5715873197.html
watertown.craigslist.org/cto/5784609392.html
potsdam.craigslist.org/cto/5775022520.html
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2004-volkswagen-golf-hatchback/1200330863?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2003-honda-civic-sedan-excellent-condition/1200209965?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2004-toyota-matrix-xr-hatchback/1200138224?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/ready-for-winter-2003-mazda-b-series-saftied-and-etested/1199937581?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/Gatineau/Quebec/5_27922611_20110517111012680/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_5
youtube.com/watch?v=6v5-83Ctvr4
youtube.com/watch?v=k1k3e-lPK1k
caranddriver.com/features/the-quickest-cars-of-2007-less-than-20000-first-place-2007-ford-mustang-v-6-page-1
wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/Gatineau/Quebec/5_28994322_20140516091702662/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_5
wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/KEMPTVILLE/Ontario/19_9505285_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_5
wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/AUGUSTA/Ontario/19_9524436_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=3_15_5
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get a saab 9-3, as new as possible, as low mileage as possible. mines from 2003 and has 130k miles on the clock and runs amazing, got heated leather seats for those cold winters, its got a 2 liter 4banger with 175 horsies thats a bit of fun and its great in the snow, the swedes built it to be good in snow. had it 5 years now, no issues except door locks and front struts

8k cash, small payments? What does this even mean? Do you have 8k or are you trying to finance?

Shut up and buy a civic for 3k.

I did this with a WRX hatch in NJ; just paid it off. Built my credit for a year really quick, paid the loan off two years early because I did something manageable with money upfront, and it went great. Love the car.

I meant that I have 8k cash, but I have a little play room.

A WRX for 8k? That sounds like madness!

>civic
>rip insurance

So yea, buy a civic and gtfo. Get one in manual and throw on some good tires and it'd be fun.

Just buy a nice used Toyota OP. Spend $6k on a decent Camry or Corolla, you should be able to get one with ~100k miles that is ~2007, which will last easily another 10 years if you treat her right. Then spend that other $2k on something old and speedy and rice the fuck out of it to have fun driving.

>Gets salt

Yep get a beater, nothing valuable will last with brine or salt unless you always spray off your undercarriage with detergent after driving and replace all components exposed to salt with stainless steel.

Subaru Imprezas and Chrysler 300s seem to go for the same price. That seems odd since the Chrysler is the much more expensive car new. Why is that?

Because Chrysler are more expensive to fix and far less reliable than a Subaru.

Makes perfect sense. I assume the V6 Mustang falls into the same category as the Chrysler?

i'd totally buy a Suzuki jimny then

At least in NJ, car prices are higher by default (tons of upper-class suburbs) but snow hits us fast and hard out of nowhere. It's not surprising that the perfect car to get you through the winter reliably and to gas you onto horrid rt 22 merging goes for a decent price.

Low for here, man. 160k 02 models still go for 4-5k, I got a 05 hatch with 100k miles.

Canada fucking sucks for buying cars. Everything is so damn expensive here.

Would adding a second car to your insurance be a lot more expensive than just having one car? It wouldn't be double would it?

Buy a new edge GT for 5k, put the other 3k in snow tires on V6 wheels, long tubes and 4.10s.

Fun enough DD that will leave you with change from your 8k and not break very often unless you really rag it hard.

Or you could use your whole 8k on a '96-'01 Cobra, those things are even more fun than the New Edge, they pull hard to 7k whereas the New Edge GT runs out of breath around 5k-5500rpm. The '01 is the best in your price range, 320hp, IRS, Tremec gearbox and better seats than any other mustang in your price range.

>First car
>8k cash

Dude weed just buy a honda or an old volkswagen because you obviously going to crash it. Maybe E36/E46

I'm weary about buying a 8+ year old car. I don't know much about cars, but I'd think older = more problems. Is that not the case?

I feel like if I were to go with an older car, I'd throw the RX-8 into the mix. I'm personally not a fan of the 4th gen Mustang's styling. I'd look at a 5.0, but are they reliable and are maintenance costs reasonable?

I'm 21 and I've driven daily since the age of 16, just not a car that I own. 0 accidents.

Why are you weary about buying an 8 year old car? Why are you so afraid of having to pay for a repair? Why are people like you so common? What's wrong with spending money on a car? It's cheaper than tax and insurance and depreciation and cash up front for a new car. It's not like you have a better use for the money.

>I'm 21 and I've driven daily since the age of 16
Right, fair play.

>I'm weary about buying a 8+ year old car. I don't know much about cars, but I'd think older = more problems. Is that not the case?

Yes and no. You can buy a newer car that's fucked because it wasn't service or wasn't serviced right. You can also buy an older car that was serviced right and works like a Swiss watch.

Fear of the unknown and hearing he said, she said horror stories. I have no qualms about paying for repairs. It's inevitable with any car. I just don't want a car that's going to be a complete money pit. That's all. If you don't mind telling me, how much more work is maintaining a car from 2002-2004, compared to a car from 2008, which is what I'm currently looking at. Are random break downs a legitimate concern? It has to be my daily driver, so I can't have it become a liability.

That random aspect is what's killing me. I'm just browsing on Auto Trader and it's pretty much impossible to tell what state the car is in mechanically.

Post your local Craigslist.

ottawa.craigslist.ca/i/autos

>I feel like if I were to go with an older car, I'd throw the RX-8 into the mix.
Renesis are trash. Drink oil, shit tier gas mileage for the displacement, no torque(at least it's linear no torque to 9k), and expensive repairs compared to the Mustang due to selling far less copies.

>I'd look at a 5.0, but are they reliable and are maintenance costs reasonable?
At this rate a good fox is just as if not more expensive than a New Edge GT. Since you said you deal with salt good luck finding one without a fair amount of rust. Unless you meant the early SN-95 that still had the 5.0. Either way a Mustang is a pretty damn reliable and parts availability will never be something you have to worry about.

My friend has a E90 like you put in the OP, he's spent thousands of dollars in repairs in the last 2 years and still has a leaking valve cover gasket and his brakes squeak randomly at lower speeds(common issue apparently).

I threw in the RX-8 simply because their cheap purchase price. It's probably too much of a hassle to seriously consider.

I must be using the incorrect terms here. If I were to go the Mustang route, I'd want a 5th gen. I'm not a fan of the 3rd or 4th gen Mustang's looks.

Because of my 5th gen preference, the ones in my area and in my price range all have over 100k miles. What are your thoughts on buying one with that many miles on it? Wouldn't the insurance on one be insane, given my age?

I've pretty much tossed the idea of getting any German cars. I simply cannot afford to throw thousands at a car at this point.

desu if I lived in USA i'd be interested in those

belleville.craigslist.ca/cto/5715873197.html
watertown.craigslist.org/cto/5784609392.html
potsdam.craigslist.org/cto/5775022520.html

Why are the cars in USA mostly boring 4x4 huge suvs or crown vic copies

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2004-volkswagen-golf-hatchback/1200330863?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2003-honda-civic-sedan-excellent-condition/1200209965?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2004-toyota-matrix-xr-hatchback/1200138224?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/ready-for-winter-2003-mazda-b-series-saftied-and-etested/1199937581?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here's the only Mustang I like on AT:

wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/Gatineau/Quebec/5_27922611_20110517111012680/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_5

That Mustang has 150k miles on it. It has your preliminary "okay"?

Is this my harsh reality?

>v6 mustang

please no and 150k miles for a lazy v8 is not bad

All of those looked pretty good. What's wrong with them?

I sure as hell can't afford a 5th gen V8.

But muh fun. Muh wanting to look cool in my poser car.

Then get 4th gen....

4th gens just scream "Woman's car" to me. I'm probably just an idiot, but I can't get over that.

I drive a 4000lb V6 Chrysler now.

I could sure a hell live with this:
youtube.com/watch?v=6v5-83Ctvr4

v6 mustang ANY gen is more of a womans car bab

Any car can be fun. It depends on your mindset. The vw mk4 drives great. The civic is fun to toss around with good tires, trucks are fun and you could go offroading.

I wouldn't disagree with you. I just really like the way the 5th gen looks.

It does. Especially for motorcycles. A 125 can be tonnes of fun, but I have a thing for cars that look nice. I'm trying to squeeze out both a nice looking and fun car with my budget.

Shit, I could probably get over my 4th gen retardation if I can snag a V8.

youtube.com/watch?v=k1k3e-lPK1k

Anyone know how insurance would compare between a 4th gen GT and a 5th gen V6?

You'll have plenty of time to get a nice looking car when you have more money.

2004 GT makes 260hp?

>wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/Gatineau/Quebec/5_27922611_20110517111012680/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_5

That's the best pre '11 V6 Mustang you'll get. It has what's known as the Pony Package (GT suspension on the V6) and it makes the car feel much less wallowy. Base V6s have a much softer suspension than the GT.

Given what it is it's not that bad, but I'd take a New Edge GT 10/10 times over a S197 V6 that's pre '11.

caranddriver.com/features/the-quickest-cars-of-2007-less-than-20000-first-place-2007-ford-mustang-v-6-page-1

Yes? And 302lb-ft of torque.

Corolla and the rest for running costs and tools/repair costs for when you inevitably crash it.

wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/Gatineau/Quebec/5_28994322_20140516091702662/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_5

What do you think I'd be looking at in terms of initial repairs/maintenance if I were to buy this car? I still can't be over the feeling that the a newer car would serve better as a daily driver.

Also, what's up with that car's low milage? Should that be a warning sign?

Don't buy from a dealer. You'll pay way more than the car is actually worth. That one was owned by a nigger or poorfag that put aftermarket wheels on it.

Ha, but isn't buying a car from a dealer a safer bet? Don't they ensure that all the mechanics are working well?

>What do you think I'd be looking at in terms of initial repairs/maintenance if I were to buy this car?
The first thing to do would be replacing those god awful tail lights and wheels, even stock pieces are better than those ugly SOBs. But the '04 already has the "fixed" intake manifold coolant crossover so really not much if anything for awhile.

>Also, what's up with that car's low milage? Should that be a warning sign?
It's a convertible in Canada, guy probably didn't drive it in the winter very often.

Fair point on the convertible. Here's the only other 2 on AT that look decent. Somehow the second one is more expensive, needs tires to pass safety and has over double the milage. How does that work?

wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/KEMPTVILLE/Ontario/19_9505285_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_5

wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/AUGUSTA/Ontario/19_9524436_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=3_15_5

>wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/KEMPTVILLE/Ontario/19_9505285_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_5
Is a V6, don't even consider a New Edge V6.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. This is the one you want. Around 115k miles is nothing for these things and that one is a good color, some of the best factory wheels they came with and looks to have been well taken care of.

Hahahaha hell no. They mask any problems and clean it up, the bare minimum to make it presentable. At least with cars in your price range.

First one is cringey, second one looks good.

I don't even know how I didn't catch that the red one was a V6. So if I go to look at this car and seriously consider buying it, what am I looking for to ensure that this will be a good purchase?

>civic
>manual
>good tires
>fun

This image has never been truer.

Skoda octavia vrs, practical and fairly powerful

>autofags actually mad enough to make this image

I'm not European.

And neither is anyone else.

I said fun, not fast.

Confirmed for never have driven one

Mustang for year round driving in Canada? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Just wait until your door seals leak and your windows freeze up with condensation during the winter. Good luck with that.