Hop in user, Let's go to the mall!

Where do you sit to avoid certain death in a collision?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=buMXtGoHHIg
youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jkeKXQW1Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>inb4 hop in Pajeet

But really, let's say your NEET ass has friends (or even a date) and you know they're a bad driver

They pick you and a couple of other friends up, you have the choice of any of the seats, but you can't drive

The car is some terribly unsafe shitbox with 4/5 seats (EG Civic,any 90's Euro hatch, Chevy Cobalt, Fiat 500, etc.)

Though life is suffering, you want to live to another day of running your shitbox down the touge, so where do you sit?

Consider side impact, front and rear crumple zones, footwell space, airbags, etc.

Why would I want to avoid it?

The drivers seat, I'm a better driver than anyone I know and they'll readily admit that.

2 edgy 5 me

the scenario implies you're not allowed to drive, no matter how "good" you are

>tfw riding in some korean shitbox out of necessity
>large tools, textbooks, etc. strewn about the interior unsecured
>paper thin doors smashing my knees into the glovebox as a 6ft tall male
>starts raining heavily, wipers can't keep up

this_is_how_it_ends.png

Relevant

youtube.com/watch?v=buMXtGoHHIg

>Where do you sit to avoid certain death in a collision?

All of the mini-subcompact cars aren't really meant to be taken onto the freeway. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. These cars have no crumple zones. There's no real estate to sacrifice, but that is why you bought such a car in the first place. You wanted minimalism. You got it. By giving up having a big hooded area, you gave up that crumple zone plus the heavy bumper. By giving up the trunk, you gave up that crumple zone to protect against rear end collisions breaking the backs of the rear seat passengers.

These cars drive pretty well and have peppy acceleration due to weight power ratio. They are okay in residential and regular city roads. And you know what? If EVERYONE was required to only use lightweight mini-subcompacts, then the accident severity would be hugely reduced.

lol India

I didn't realize India is so shit that even brands like VW sell cars without airbags, god damn I'm glad to be American
youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jkeKXQW1Y

You don't. That's the indian population control.

>the scenario implies you're not allowed to drive, no matter how "good" you are

How? Do your friends(>implying, I know) not let you drive their cars?

Arguably, at least in the US, there doesn't exist any sort of precedent that tells people that driving a subcompact is putting your life on the line far more than you would in something mid-sized.

>It's just another car, all the worrying about crash safety was already done by the manufacturer and any safety regulation governing bodies, I'm just as safe as any other car on the road

You'd think I'm exaggerating, but the vast majority of people here don't give a second thought to car size and corresponding safety

My ex-gf drove a 2012 Fiesta hatch, and I had to ride in the backseat once, I was having a mild panic attack the entire time we were on the road, there was literally a foot or less of space between my head and the rear glass, I would be the crumple zone in any sort of significant rear-end crash

>inb4 pussy

I enjoy my life and the idea of having it swiftly taken from me because someone in a bigger car did something retarded really bugs the shit out of me

I've never hated lifted trucks more than when I DD'd a Miata, it made me much more conscious of the fact that those people are endangering everyone on the road because they have small penises. So I wholeheartedly agree on your last statement.

Just imagine how you'd feel if your significant other/best friend/mom/whatever was killed because some dickhead in a lifted truck decapitated them in a side impact collision, where if they were driving identical cars they would still be alive, but the brodozer walked away without a scratch, and the person you loved is dead

/blogpost

Anywhere but the designated shitting seat.

Better lock yourself in at home if you're so paranoid about losing your life to other peoples' mistakes.

I mean there's definitely been situations where I didn't feel comfortable asking someone to let me drive their car, and there's definitely been situations where I've felt comfortable asking but the person driving said "no" for whatever reason

For example, hanging out with a friend at uni, he says "hey wanna hang out with Stacy and Vicky?"

Stacy and Vicky pull up in a car, "hop in anons"

They're both hot cunts that I've never met, I'm not just gonna be like "hey I know we haven't met or anything but I don't really trust you to operate your vehicle, do you mind if I drive"

etc, etc

POO IN LOO

dang buuurn u got me

If the reality of being involved in a severe accident isn't at the back of your mind anytime you're operating a car you're doing it wrong

I never said I avoid driving because I'm afraid of other people's mistakes or anything to that extent, but if you're not a mindless fuck you should have some concern for the safety of your body and those of the ones you love

I drove a 2011 fiesta for years and it was a massive piece of shit. Transmission had to be replaced twice while I owned it due to a failing clutch or something and the 3rd one was already on its way out when I sold it. Can't imagine how it would have done in a crash but luckily I never had to experience that.

Was forced by circumstances to fuck in it once, with the seat folded down it wasn't all too bad, some ok positions manageable

It's trying to sleep in it that was the shit part

>be me
>friend drives me home from time to time
>hasn't gotten into any accidents yet
>yfw it's a 1971 Dodge Dart DD

no safety equipment at all except p/s. And I'm alive so I'm not worried

legally that thing has to have seatbelts. my truck was the last year you could sell a vehicle with 0 safety equipment.

If I'm drunk/otherwise fucked up or incapable of driving

I live in Denver and one of these days I'll find you and set your shit on fire motherfucker

At home, or in the driver's seat.

>They pick you and a couple of other friends up, you have the choice of any of the seats, but you can't drive
Inb4 'No, let me pick everyone up'.

Have fun being impaled by the steering column, smart guy ;-)

Since nobody seems to have answered the fucking question, I'd probably go for middle rear seat if it has 3 point seatbelts

if it's a subcompact with no trunk, shotgun

ITT: "SUVs are safer"

That argument falls apart the moment you look at single car accidents. SUVs implode when they hit trees. Relative to their own size, they're weak.

Also they roll over all the time, and rollovers are disproportionately deadly.

>single car accidents
But then that's my choice. I can also ride a bicycle, get my front wheel caught in a storm drain, go headfirst over the handlebars and spend the rest of my life having a nurse wipe my ass for me.

>SUVs implode when they hit trees.
Maybe the cheap crossover shit that passes for SUVs these days.

Some decades ago, I worked for the power company. Got a call to go look at a truck that had hit one of our poles. Old GMC pickup was just being winched back onto the road as I arrived. Someone got in it and drove it off. The pole had been sheared off at the base.

Similar incident with a compact car some months later. I talked to the lineman that went out to check this one. They didn't know how many bodies were in the car until they peeled it off the pole. The pole was OK.

I'd sit in the back behind the driver.

That's quite rude senpai

Nah. Better poles.

I saw a plastic Saturn crack a power pole. Wooden poles are kind of weak

> hey guys you ready to go to the concert?
> yeah. Want to invite user?
> no he always bitches when anyone but him is driving I can't stand 45 minutes of his backseat driving and demanding that I let him drive
> ok

>Tata
POO

I don't think anyone said "SUV's are safest" as you're trying to put it, but most are objectively "safer" than a subcompact

They do roll over, but that's why Forester is bestcar, very low COG so they don't even need rollover warning stickers

SF5 Forester here, who else /reasonably safe/ ?

people in bigger vehicles die all the time when they hit something larger and more impressive like a semi, a concrete barrier or a granite cliff.

people think large vehicles have some sort of safety magic attached which is why you get guys like that retard a while ago saying you should just 'plow into' a 200lb buck or 1100lb cow moose, as though the latter wouldn't completely demolish a pickup truck and leave the driver seriously injured.

basically, be aware and do everything you can to avoid a collision instead of going MUH CRUMPLE ZONES.

Feelin good in my LS400

Obviously size isn't everything but it's way safer than I've felt in a Miata that's for sure

>Hop in user! The poo street closes at 9!

>tools+ textbooks
nigger you have one or the the other. no tradesman keeps heavy books in his vehicle other than codebooks and even then, they don't take up enough space to occupy more than 1/8th of a seat. calm down Mr. I'msuchahardworker/smartypants

Cozy computer chair or have a volvo.

Pic related.... MAXIMUM protection with SIPS cross members in the seats & dash, reinforced B pillar, side torso airbags, inflatable curtain airbag.

Front:

Dual stage airbags, volvo patented front crumple zones, mixed grade steel, and very comfy seats with excellent headrests.

BONUS:

WHIPS - seats recline back in rear collision with the whips mechanism built into the seat to save your neck & back.

get gud