How do Mustangs behave in the snow/winter?

How do Mustangs behave in the snow/winter?

And I'm not talking about little amounts of snow. With good winter tires, how can a fun RWD car compare to a FWD in amounts of +- 10-15" of snow.

Almost any car is decent in the winter with good winter tires. Maybe a few exceptions but a Mustang wont be one of them.

>How do Mustangs behave in the snow/winter?

Awful without snow tires, mediocre with them.

They can't handle in fair weather on excellent roads, how do you think they do in the winter?

I've done this. A mustang drives horrible in low traction. They are lightweight and generally overpowered. The ties bereak free and it fishtails.

Over 8" and the air dam acts like a snowplow, further adding to resistance to FWD momentum and causing wheelspin.

>They are lightweight
¿que? mustangs are pigfat as shit / almost weigh 4000 lbs.

Depends a lot on how heavy the driver's foot is. They're obviously not going to handle as well as a fwd or 4wd. They're going to be more prone to spinning the rear tires causing loss of traction and possibly loss of control of the vehicle. This will be more likely in V8 models than V6. That said, I once followed a coworker home in a blizzard with about 6" of snow already built up on the road. He was in a 4th gen GT and I was in my Wrangler with recovery straps just in case. Followed him down a highway with hard packed tire tracks to follow, then a couple of miles of side streets with fluffy, unpacked snow. He was very gentle with the throttle and only spun the tires a couple of times pulling away from stop lights. Never lost control or needed my assistance. In 10-15" of snow, I can see it becoming a much greater problem because of how low the cars sit. I own a 5.0 coyote mustang now myself, but don't plan to drive it in the snow since I still have the Wrangler.

I lost control a couple of times this winter but didn't hit any other vehicle, This winter Colorado had a few days there where the snow season was pretty bad, well I was at home for 2 days and got tired of it and wanted to head out to the gym, so i head out and spun out on the on ramp, but didn't hit anything and just kept going, the rear end lost a little traction in the turn but i was ok, so i am going maybe 45-50 on the I-25 north and i feel the rear end slip a little bit and i think it is all over and the car will go sideways into the wall, it doesn't happen and i keep going a few more feet and feel the rear end go out again and i can feel the car lose traction and regain it, i didn't panic or anything, it is 6am and the roads are kind of icy at this point, i have maybe 10 minutes to get to the gym. and i look in my rear view mirror and i see this big black gmc suv spin out and hit the guard rail and it was same spot where i lost control for a little bit, i think the dude was going like 60+ mph and he just spun out and smashed into the wall, first time seeing something like that, as i'm not from this area or lived around snow like this. for this year my game plan is to get a good car cover and leave the car covered until the snow is gone and i can drive again, i just dont think it is safe and going at it even with snow tires wont be worth it as it is rwd and it is too easy to slip the rear end on the turns and sometimes even going straight, that black ice aint no joke, im staying home for this season

Get a AWD car for snow

Why would you buy a new mustang and drive it in the winter? Do you want everything to get rusty and corroded in a few years?

Just pick up a $500 winter beater of your choosing.

I do have a 2010 impreza as my DD. I was thinking outloud how to RWD's fare and here in Montreal on the east coast, there's quite more RWDs than I'd thought rolling in winter time and winter tires are mandatory up here so I figure maybe newer RWD's are more forgiving in slippery conditions.

I live in Buffalo, and there's not shortage of snow here. I get along just fine in my shitty old RWD panthers. No ABS, traction control or any of that BS.

Decent snow tires and common sense are all you need. Throw in a limited slip for some fun and extra traction.

I still don't know why anyone would want to drive any car of value in the winter though.

your traction control was kicking in real hard to save your ass. Maybe you should know that and slow down instead of going at the same speed and not make that connection.

I don't have traction control, my system doesn't work because put in a rear end from a mach 1 and it was a different rear end which was built. I never drove a car with traction control, its a 2003 gt manual

Not very well. In fact, they go to sleep.

Sleep tight muscle

Sleep tight muscle

like a Roush

slight tight muscle!

Sleep tight muscle

The new one will drive easy through snow like a BMW.
Everything before this model will kill you. Friend has problems in his 2007 GT with the shitty 235mm wide tires in rain.

>v6
>muscle