Mazda 3 vs MX-5 Miata

Buying my first car today with my dad. I want to but I Mazda because they're tight and fun to drive, which is just how I like a car to feel.

The 2010 Mazda 3
Pros
>Very reliable
>looks cool
>4 seats and more space
>nice interior
>more luxurious
>more comfortable (?)

Cons
> Slower
> not as memorable
> nobody cares
> my first car won't be a Miata
> not much to do in terms of tuning that can make a noticeable difference

Miata
Pros
> amazing handling
> rear wheel drive
> will be an awesome first car
> it's an iconic car
> everyone likes it including
> has tons of tuning potential, not very expensive (?)
> a learning experience for me as I research to have a fast sporty and cool car
> literally everything I love about this car, even the fact that people think it's gay I think that's hilarious.

Cons
> not so reliable for NA models
> not very luxurious without throwing some hard cash
> can be uncomfortable
> 2 seats
> will buy it in manual, which can be annoying since I live in a populated city.
> expensive repairs (?)
> expensive mods that I will most likely buy
> might Fuck up car with mods(?)

I have like 5.5k to put down immediately and can afford nearly 100 a month to put into this every month, but I'm not looking to have a car I spend a lot on for a long time.

I want fun, but not a shit ton of work over years and years.

But I really wanna get into this.

Well why not buy a new 3 or miata over an older one? It may cost more in terms of montly notes, but if your dad co-signs your payments will most likely be at 0%. Plus you would be able to know the entire cars history. Second, it would already be more tuned than the older car. Just my thought tho.

Buy the Miata..

>muh feels

Don't fall for this meme. Get a mustang gt and run circles around mazdas all day long while they mumble and look at their feet.

Get a Civic (with a few simple mods) and run around lolcantturn mustangs all day long while they mumble and look at their feet.

Not with a high schoolers budget

Seems like you want the Miata more.

Get one with a retractable hardtop and with the 2008 facelift and you'll have the perfect fun first car. If you feel that you need a 4 seater due to family and such then obviously get the Mazda 3.

I like the exclusivity. I want the Miata more but what better for my budget?????

What year?

nc is for old ladies or mid life crisis men

get a nb and join the kool kids klub user

I'm not sure if it applies to that year 3, but they have rusting problems if you live in an area that salts. The interior doesnt seem to hold up well either over time

I live in Miami. Literally intense heat and humidity here.

What costs will I expect?????

You are an idiot.

Get a speed 3
Miatas are fun, but the novelty wears off and leaves you wondering why the fuck you paid money for it.
Speed3 responds to mods, is cool as fug, and still practical.

whoa whoa whoa, since when were NA miata's unreliable? the BP 1.8 is bulletproof man, I redlined a bp 1.8 multiple times everyday for 6 months and only ever blew a heater hose that I replaced that night.
its only like 90WHP stock maybe, there is not that much strain on the internals.

>Get a Civic

You can get a 1983-2004 mustang GT with your $5.5k in hand.

I don't think getting a dedicated sports car like the Miata makes much sense as a first car. While fun, it's too limiting.

Mazda 3 is the way to go for a first car especially if you're about to start college. Amazing DD.

Yeah I decided on the 3 because I don't want to fuck anything up trying to make the Miata fast.

Is anything worth getting on this Mazda 3?

Would a CA or SR intake do much in terms of torque and HP? What about a cat-back exhaust? I feel like the only way I'd get a noticeable difference in acceleration is if I get a new intake/exhaust/ecu tune which is something I'd have to save up for.

Am I wrong? Can I get some decent speed just by changing the intake and/or exhaust?

Are the Mazda 3 speeds too expensive?

Nah I just don't want a hatchback. I want a nice sedan

Speed 6 then

I've thought about this car, but how does it respond to an aftermarket intake/exhaust?
Is it worth the money on a speed6?

Yeah. Buddy had one. Was a fantastic car. Same engine as speed3.

I've driven a speed3 and they're far faster than the base Mazda 3.

I can afford a Speed6 from '06, maybe even a year after.

>2.3 I4

The mazda s sport has a 2.5L I4. Wouldn't that be a better choice?

The speed6 is turbo. Responds to mods very well

MS3 and MS6 both have the MZR 2.3LT, with the first direct injection out of a mass-production car. Fully forged internals, stock 14lbs of boost. Amazingly moddable engines. The MS6 is AWD, but has an issue with the transfer case if the previous owners launched it above 4k a shitton. I have an MS3 myself, but I've driven the MS6 before. I'd go MS6 if you want to mod it for the AWD. 1st and second gear breaks necks. MS3 is faster technically, and wheelspin is limited due to a Geared LSD in the front from an RX8. These cars have amazing capability, with HUGE aftermarket.

The MS6 can drift too. For a tranverse AWD, its ALWAYS sending torque to the rear.

I can also say the MS3 has about a 5.5 second 0-60, with the MS6 going 5.8 seconds. Both are very quick stock, and can compete easily in handling. The MS6 is more of a "Touring car" than a sports car too. High seating position, amazing interior, very luxurious. MS3 is tighter, sit low and at an angle with race-style seats, but its comfortable enough to daily. Make sure to shift before the turbo spools (2500 rpm) and you'll have good economy with no sudden uncomfortable torque.

>circles
>american car doing anything other than straight lines

And torque steers

The MS6 doesn't have this problem

Yes. I have one. Great car, comfy as a DD and is insane fun when you drive it hard.

I got a good one so haven't had any of the common problems they have, touch wood. Set aside a few grand to fix common shit like engine mounts and the VVT gear if it hasn't been done. The MS3 have the same issues though so don't let that influence your choice between the two.