SUV, Truck and Offroader Appreciation Thread

Enough with all the miatas, twingos and exotic sports cars.

Be it a dusty dirt devil or a luxurious highway queen, lets see what ya got.

Pic related, mine.

Other urls found in this thread:

indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5786743923.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is that thing actually capable offroad? I always heard the X3 and X5 are fucking terrible off the highway so I assumed other German luxury soccer mom SUVs were the same. But I could be wrong since Mercedes does actually make some good off roadin trucks.

And what about the Audi Q5/7?

Todays vehicle, not very often I get to drive one. Fun little vehicle, just wish it did more than 25mph

dont know about mercedes but audis fucking suck at anything even on the road they are not that good.

Checked.

And only 25mph? How?

Also have you been getting any fishin in lately?

Its registered as a tractor, nor sure if its electronically limited or what. Cheaper insurance, much lower tax. Still capable as fuck tho

And nah. Been working too much and had other projects. Also; dad, sister and brother-in-law went fishing with my boat yesterday, forgetting to secure the lid to the small compartment with the plug & tools, so now the driver of the boat has no seat...

Not great but passable on fire roads and such. They do have a transfer case with a low range, but said transfer cases have a reputation of failing. Lack of clearance and articulation ultimately limit them. But it's a comfy SUV for what most people might use them for.

I got to ride in a '98 ML320 of a family friend's this summer in Siberia. Took it down some pretty rough dirt roads from their dacha, it did well through the whoops but ultimately that isn't really offroading (Ladas and Toyota sedans drive down there all day long). In the winter when they need to get out to their dacha they have a Niva 2131, a lot better at not getting stuck according to them.

As an aside, a pic of my 4Runner. Hoping to scoop up a gen III Montero Limited soon to have as my primary winter and road trip ride. I'm obsessed with these things, best seating position ever.

My unicorn:

Whelp, the first gen MLs had the option of a lockable low range centre differential. So while they may not be a rock crawling wrangler, they're still capable enough in their own right. And the 270CDi had that lubly 5 cylinder diesel.

Pajero brofist. I own each generation before and after yours, but the turd gens are the best lookers IMO.

I found this very curious looking example on the local craigslist:

indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5786743923.html

This does not look like any trim that was sold in the US. Potentially an import from Central America(?) Or else a really screwed up rebuild with unpainted replacement bumper covers, but the consistency of all the oddball stuff (steel wheels, unpainted bumpers, no privacy glass tint, etc) makes me think it's some sort of non-US grade truck. Something from Puerto Rico maybe?

I see an "LS" painted on the driver side front fender. What the hell is a Montero "LS," I thought for the gen III there was only XLS and Limited in the US. Googling doesn't show me anything either.

This looks like the same exact trim, down to the aluminum running boards and style of steel wheels. Man this is weird!

my shitebox

>off roader
>mercedes "suv"

>asians /out/doors
>they dont step away from there tarboed rice pot

>japanese econobox wagon
>shit clearance
>going over a rock bigger than 6 inches
big.
>thinks rallying=offroad

Noice

Good engine , shit trans

OP here,
Can confirm what this guy is saying.
My lowrange also failed l.

nice to see some pajero love on Veeky Forums. Proud owner of an NP speaking and the thing is a space marine. Takes a bad beating, chews on 80 octane petrol like a beast and it drove across some of the worst trails in kazakhstan.

i recently got 3mm skid plates, going for new stiffer ome suspension soon, and have some plans for a new rear bumper. Probably also going to line-x the bottom half of the vehicle, where the bumpers, door plastics and wheel arches are.
The stock 235mm of ground clearance is enough (for me at least) that i don't want to sacrifice handling and other properties for it.
The onroad handling on the pajeros is insane. The engine sits behind the front axle and real low and the weight distribution is close to 50:50. The frame and chassis are welded together, which makes for a stiffer and heavier vehicle that's harder to fix, but better onroad manners.
Even though people diss on the irs it still has more articulation than the old models.

Yeah, definitely the best looker.
At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to replace the glow plugs on the NT in the foreground. The more I look at it the more I'm drawing the conclusion the upper intake manifold has to come off.

Seems the 4M41 is not quite as serviceable as the basic 4M40 in the old girl.

changing the spark plugs on my pajero is a bitch. I see them peaking from under the manifold and just laughed. Just payed the mechanic $20 for the job.

Honestly, this manifold setup is making me wish it was as simple as removing the V6 manifold.

Oh well, at least it gives me a chance to see how much crud the EGR has dumped in there since it's last been cleaned. Just a shame it's turning into a weekend job as opposed to a quick chore after work.

pic ain't of mine, but just to give you an idea, they're tucked within the intake manifold under that EGR valve. Cunt.

Kek.

Those things may be good in an inch of snow or a flat gravel road because they actually have 4wd, but when you really start getting off the beaten path there is no replacement for ride height and clearance.

ordered this one. coming in four weeks

less cargo space than my golf...wow top choice dude

>cargo space

What's it like being a courier?

tiguan - 580l
golf - 380l

u wot m8?

>getting the worst Mercedes ever built
I'm sorry mate, but you could have known better.

what you mean i own 4 cars and 1 of them is a golf.

my wife has one. post all the numbers you want aspie, but if you spend an extended amount of time in both you will realize that I am right.

Have a 2nd Gen 4runner that I'm gonna take on a camping trip with friends soon. Some light offroading to get there so I'm looking forward to it.

Hunk of shit reppin in

well thats the price you pay for having an engine that's almost scraping the ground and behind the front axle.
this is the engine bay of my v6.
to change the damn spark plugs you'll have to lift the whole intake manifold as you see.

meant to reply to.
i don't know about australian prices but it's just not worth the hassle in kazakhstan.
most 4x4 mechanics know the pajero engines like the back of their hands and do this job in under an hour.

You all probably know about my miata...

But here's my hectik sikk 2014 JK Wrangler 2-door soft-top 6-speed. DOHC 3.6L Pentastar bitcheeesss (the same one in the charger and challenger, but only available in manual on the Jeep).

0-60 in 6.7 seconds on the street and crawls up rocky hills like a champ.

Debadge all around including the front 'Jeep' emblem; everyone knows it's a fucking Jeep.

Wubba-lubba-dub-dub!

Took the 61 on its first trip this weekend. Pretty impressed with how well it did for being on all stock suspension still. Having the extra power and torque makes things more fun. Got a lot farther in 2WD than I would’ve in the 60. Need to go back to this place when the weather is good. Some of the trails would’ve led to awesome views, but we were in the clouds instead.

Great pics user. where is this? also, what camera?

My little mountain goat takes me anywhere.

It's no different here, although it's the 3.2 I've owned and played with in the vehicle. My step father and I remove one from a written on ML Triton to replace another motor in a mate's car (the motor that was replaced sitting in my shed for spares) however that's a little different when you're going in gung-ho removing everything.
I'm sure I'll get it down pat, but it's practice and experience I guess.
That is fucking on point, and is the exact colour combination I'd kill for right down to the decals when I was looking for one.
Presuming it's either a VX or Sahara? Does it have the god tier 12H-T?

cuck

jk neat lil car. Veeky Forums would love it (seriously) its the official car of Veeky Forums

It's been a good truck. Still kicking at high mileage.

what is this?

I just got my zj up and running again, had some problems with the alternator and a few of the pulleys had their bearings seize up on me