Thoughts on getting an rx8 with a blown rotary and swapping in something that isn't rotary?

thoughts on getting an rx8 with a blown rotary and swapping in something that isn't rotary?
suggestions for swaps?
they're pretty cheap so i thought i could give one a try
current car is a 95 civic which i'm going to keep till the rx8 is fully functional
i could get a mustang or something but i really like how the rx8 looks
it just looks SO happy it's not even funny

Other urls found in this thread:

rx8club.com/series-i-tech-garage-22/renesis-engine-issues-finally-identified-138114/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There are infinitely better ways to spend your money.

>le afternoon maymay

Might as well be the sub title of the whole board

If you can do the fabrication then it's doable. But if not you're paying a speed shop $200/hr to do it for you.

>swapping anything other then a rotary into the rx8
What's even the point then??? They're infinitely different cars that would put out the same hp and you'll still have cash left over. I don't understand this thread.

Now a Honda Fit with a swapped k24 is along the lines of what you should be looking at

I thought the rotary was what made the RX8 fun

the rx8 does have a unique body going for it and a pretty decent interior.

FMR
M
R

you realize that the rx8 is the same frame as the nc miata, correct?

a car that already comes with an engine that isn't a rotary?

If you can get it for under 1500 with the body in pristine shape, maybe. It'll be a decent amount of work provided you do everything yourself, but it's been done before.

Otherwise, save yourself the hassle and just get a miata, or a car that isn't a moody snowflake.

i have a nc miata but i like those suicide doors

NA 20B swap

This is all I want in life

Too bad they arent stock.

Rotaries are the only engines that should exist.

Truth.

>suggestions for swaps?
V6 KL-DE/ZE turbo, whatever the 2.3l in the MS3/MPS is called, 20B 3-rotor.

Something from the family, or if you want to go full snowflake a 2.5l Volvo Modular 5-pot.

The best part of the car is the rotary
Don't be a retard, keep it, port it, enjoy it
If you're considering to LS swap it, just buy a C5

Those are butterfly doors you retard. The rear doors are the suicide doors. Stock.

I've always been indifferent to you but this post made me like you

Can you drive standard? Even though grand sedans/sports are always autotragical

May as well. They are pretty cheap nowadays, and you can have a relatively new shell (2008+?) for pretty cheap. Sub-$2500.

I've been keeping my eyes open for one that needs some love. Probably stick a 4.8 in it and a small turbo.

thoughts on getting a chevelle ss with a blown 454 and swapping in something that isnt a v8?
a modern economy engine makes as much power and is more fuel efficient and doesnt put out as many emissions. thats good enough reason to swap out what makes the car special, right?

Yeah lol... of course, I've had plenty of manual cars. I would never buy an auto Rx8, that would just be awful.

>Remove awful Renesis meme engine
>Shoehorn glorious LS engine in
>????
>Profit

> 1.3 I took a dremel to makes more power than your built up 3800

>1.3 L engine overpowers a 5.7 L engine
laughing girls dot jay pee! gee!

Just buy a 350/370Z and drop a turbo on it. Way less effort involved for what would probably perform similarly to an RX8 with a V8 swap (aside from the horribly ruined weight distribution)

This picture makes me laugh every time

>muh rotaries
Fuck off, weebs

Those aren't suicide doors

>hit 6 miles on to odo
>engine needs replacing

V6 will keep it behind the strut towers too

God that has to be one of the sexiest cars ever made, up there with the E-type and the 240z

Funny guy

All >LOL APEX SEALS memes aside the FD is truly one of the most beautiful cars of our time.
For an early 90's design they still look AMAZING going down the road or standing still.

LS FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

I'd still argue one of the most beautiful cars of ALL time. I don't think many people think that it's the best looking "JDM" era car.

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of these blown apex seals :^)

>I'm sorry I can't hear you
maybe its just the piston slap coming from an ls

Can you speak up? My 1000 dollar rebuilds and fresh engines are talking pretty loud, I couldn't hear you!

>normal engine declines in performance
>200k miles and counting since no one wants to pull that heavy shit out and shell out 7k for a rebuild, meanwhile the piece of shit is putting out 80% of its performance
rotary world:
>90% performance
>apex seals replaced please
>200 bucks for a gasket kit and apex seals, or 1000 bucks to do EVERYTHING while you watch TV on the weekend and/or get domes from your chevy-owning neighbour's WIFE
>your engine works at 100% compression now

wew to the lad to the lad to the wew, I like good pussy and I liike good trees

>80% compression for the piston bullshit
more like 70

tbqh my 6.0 Gen IV V8 ticks like a whore at idle off a cold start. Been doing it for 3 years, doesn't seem to be a problem. It shuts up after it idles for a bit or you bring up the revs. Not sure if piston slap or lifters, I want to say it's the lifters but what do I know.

I actually think rotaries are cool, it's sad that your average person doesn't understand how to maintain them or treat them properly. I think that's why they get a bad rap.

They have a bad rap just because of normies, to be quite honest with you family. They burn less oil than a Honda or BMW, need rebuilds slightly more frequently than other engines (n/a vs n/a, turbo vs turbo). If you're boosting it to 600 WHP, it'll need a rebuild every 30k, but that's still a cheap ass rebuild and you'll only be replacing the apex seals, whereas a piston engine will cost several times more at slightly shorter intervals boosted to that level

I'll admit, the fuel economy isn't the greatest, but they run VERY rich from the factory, and yes they may shoot raw fuel out the exhaust but at the end of the day they use no more fuel than comparable cars when tuned properly.

You're gonna want a 572 hemi.

You summed it up nicely. There really isn't anything wrong with rotaries.
Three moving parts means it's easy to deal with when you have to rebuild. Just hope you didn't score the rotor housing.

True. But even then, what's cheaper; new side housings (you can get lighter, aftermarket ones too) or a new block? What's more likely to get more irreversibly damaged under too much boost?

it has neither of those things

Do you really have to replace the engine constantly with rotaries?

I thought if you treat them well, they'll survive long and hearty.

Also forgot to mention, rotaries love abuse and their fuel economy doesn't suffer much under abuse. They're more about airflow and low friction than high compression and fuel mixture. You may get 17-20 mpgs on the road and 14-15 on the track in a rotary, whereas a piston engine might be 20-25 mpgs during practical use and

You should never have to replace the engine, only rebuild it, which costs 1/6-1/10 of a piston rebuild and is user friendly as shit. Don't listen to LS shills

What about hemi shills?

Even worse, more like heavy shills

>that isn't rotary
Rotaries aren't shit, it's just that the RX8 has an extremely shit rotary. Swap a 13b (RX7 engine) in.

>only rebuild it
By this do you mean just take it apart, replace any worn parts and the apex seals, and then put it back together?

>KL swap
You. I like you.

What was bad about it?
Is it really that simple? How muchh should it cost?

Have a read here rx8club.com/series-i-tech-garage-22/renesis-engine-issues-finally-identified-138114/
Mazda fucked up with the first gen Renesis, making it lubricate worse than the 13b, meaning it was far more prone to failure and other issues. Sounds silly saying "it doesn't lubricate well, so it's shit" but oil and lubrication does matter a lot in a rotary.

I'm not sure how much a swap would cost, depends on your area. I'd do a bit of research on rx7/rx8 club as users there sell engines and have some threads about doing RX8 swaps.

Alright, I'll look into it.
I'm also interested to know if it's just the first gen rens that are shit, I was thinking of buying on of the 2011 models.

>I'm also interested to know if it's just the first gen rens that are shit,
To clarify, if anyone has one of the later models, I'd love to hear how it works for you,

Holy shit my dude did you buy it craigslist?

>renesis
>just rebuild it
>3k later and it's still slow

Engine bay is tiny. Maybe an f22c.

S2k did it better.