Why do people give a shit about FWD hot hatches? There are lots of just as fun...

Why do people give a shit about FWD hot hatches? There are lots of just as fun, proper sports cars available for the same price.

I recognize that on their own merits, they can be fun to throw around, but they don't exist in a vacuum. So why is it that so many car enthusiasts sperg over them?

Mind you, I'm not critical of hot hatches in general. The Focus RS and Golf R make sense since they're AWD, but why in the fuck would a car enthusiast spend money on a GTI when they can buy a Miata or Mustang for the same money?

It can't really be that pathetic excuse about practicality, can it? A single male can easily pack their EDC or groceries into a passenger seat or a small trunk, and if you're in a relationship of any sort, the other person is also going to have a car, and chances are that unless you're a faggot with a miata-owning boyfriend, your girlfriend drives a lifeless SUV with ample space for your useless shit.

So why do car people keeping fapping about FWD boxes when they could spend the same amount of money on an actual driver's car?

Why is ford so based?

once upon a time hot hatches used to be cheaper than rwd offerings. it was either buy a shitbox rwd commuter thats eye gouge tier or buy something like pic related.
muh focus st, (modern) golf gti, muh civic si, all pigfat pieces of shit trying to cash in on the popularity of vehicles from three decades ago.

I would rather have a hot hatch then a cold hatch.

Because cars tend to cost you over a third of the average salary, or more with interest, and carry the highest maintenance and insurance costs on the road, especially if driven in a "fun" way. Yeah, bikes are supposedly the ones that wear through sacrificial parts and misalign valves sooner, but reality says otherwise when people redline their corollas right after starting them.

So, people who enjoy cars can usually only afford one car. They also usually can't drive because legal practice on tracks is expensive and insurance-voiding. Go ahead, be a scrub and drive a miata or a mustange in the winter. Your sick drift skills won't save you every time.

>i controlled the slide
>You plowed through an entire crowd of innocent people
>yeah but i controlled the slide
>cue eurobeat pls
>You-robeat have the right to remain silent, scum.

So, you're basically admitting that it's because people settle for 7/10? If you're that kind of person. I assume you settle for everything else in life too. The wife will be replacing that hot hatch with a crossover as soon as she locks you in with two ungrateful kids that will walk all over you and the best years of your adult life because you're too spineless to drive a Mustang in the winter.

So turn it off, you'll get it hot then cold, just like you want.

OP, I get your question, but it's practicality. A focus lets you go grocery shopping, take the kids to school, and have fun on a track all at one price point. Stuff like the FiST make no sense to me though. Also hatches are a lot more economical than a mustang.

Also, It's mostly an euro thing, Because they need to have low displacement but still want fun.

Not really a fan of hot hatches, but I would probably take one over girl cars like the Mustang and Miata. The Focus looks pretty nice I must admit.

I was talking about other people. Why are you attacking me? Are you projecting your own insecurities? Justifications for not having a girlfriend?

Let me guess, you drive a sub-100HP RWD "beloved shitbox"

My only RWD vehicle is a motorcycle because drifting is for fags and so is havign witner

Post your car. Bread on hood, timestamp, etc.

If it's not RWD, manual, and balances "muh driver feels" with a good Burgerring time you can fuck right off.

>buy a Miata or a Mustang for the same price
Because its faster, and handles better.

>driving a mustang in the winter
>not driving a funny car

>I'v never driven a car: the thread

>Why do people give a shit about FWD hot hatches?

cause they're fun mate. Also, generally lower insurance costs than say a v8 mustang.

there is also something fun about the fact that its confusing to le pure rwd enthusiasts kek

You can't have two hatches.

The FiST is for more of a niche market, and that market is a single guy that doesn't have to move much around or someone in the market for budget weekend car

I own an FD and a Clio 172. They're fun for different reasons.

The FD is scarily fast and very visceral to drive. It's like being strapped into a missile. You have to be measured in your inputs, but it's rewarding.

The Clio is pretty quick, reasonably light and easy to drive aggressively. You can happily throw it at a corner and make corrections without worrying about losing control.

If you've never owned a late 90s/early 00s hot hatch you don't know what you're missing.

It's also a lot cheaper to use a GTI as a daily driver than a Mustang as the mileage is significantly better

Because we like cheap, good gas mileage and not having to worry about correcting oversteer in every corner.

because all the cheap RWD cars in the "under 30K OTD" are anemic pieces of shit that get raped six ways till sunday by said hot hatches. That's if we are talking new.

IE the BRZ gets destroyed by the Focus ST and the Speed3. and hell the BRZ sometimes is more expensive because of ricer tax.

If we are talking used, most of the RWD cars have been beating to utter shit. But lets just talk new.

Also most RWD cars that are cross-shopped with the hot hatches are almost ALWAYS less practical. My speed3 might be FWD but its faster than the BRZ, the stock block was good for 325 whp before ever having to crack it open. AND i could fit a ton of shit in it.
Your miata or BRZ cant do that.

This is how it goes if you want the BEST:

Under 30k: Focus ST or Speed3

30k-35k: Golf R, STI, 370z (you're not getting the Focus RS for less than 40k OTD)

35K-45k: Mustang, Camaro, Focus RS

If you notice the pattern any RWD worth spending money on costs waaaaaay more than the the target audience can afford. Most college kids cant afford a 40k rwd sports car. The 370 is the only one that stands out here but its not practical, the interior is ugly, and lets face it; its time for a major refresh of the car. So you are really only left with the rwd cars in the 35K+ range.

>Speed3
There is no new Speed3.

There are tons of fwd cars out there faster than a miata too and ones faster than a mustang. ;)

The problem with the Golf R and Focus RS is, people who are not enthusiasts (e.g. most girls) won't recognize them as anything special compared to their much, much cheaper base models.

It's the same problem with the BMW M3... most girls can't tell the difference between the M3 and a base 3-series. A BMW is a BMW, a VW Golf is a VW Golf, etc. So you spend the extra money but don't get the extra respect.

On the other hand, a base 997 911, or a Ferrari 360, most girls will think you drive a much more expensive car than you actually do.

In europe the Focus is a typical family with 1 child car.

Cant really do that with 2+2 Coupes.

>So you are really only left with the rwd cars in the 35K+ range.
Tarboing an 86 twin isn't that costly and improves the power considerably. I'm sad it isn't an I6 or something like that but in today's econobox market I'll take what I can get. After all, Veeky Forums and everyone else had been clamoring for cheap RWD cars. A 25k new 86 twin is easily attainable with an accounting job or something similar out of college.

>"single male"

He was talking about practicality as well, and when comparing any RWD sports car to a hatchback (hot or cold) obviously that hatch will win in that respect.

Secondly, I think this conversation is housed more in a 'stock for stock' category, as anyone can tune to the moon and completely nullify any argument.

This was my point.

If the guy above wants to start talking mods. then a proper (suspension, tires, etc) LS Miata becomes a really sexy option.

And who gives a fuck if some dumb cunts cant recognize that its better than the base? Not buying a particular car because some bitch doesn't know what it is is such a pathetic excuse.

Don't be such a cuck bitch. You might as well ride a bus because said cunt we leave you the moment some dude in a Bentley asks her if she wants to go for a ride. There is always someone with a better car.

True. Something similarly priced like a FiST or FoST is way more practical than a 2dr coupe that is only liked because it's RWD.

I mean if we want to start talking mods then an Integra Type R would be better.

It's like you're an autist randomly piecing together a bunch of shit you've """learned""" from Veeky Forums, wikipedia, and vidya games, but your autism and lack of life experience prevents you from understanding basic things.

>there are lots of proper sports cars for the same price

Yes, but the FWD Hot Hatch is 10 years newer, has a massive warranty, brand new parts, zero miles, and is all around more reliable for someone who wants to spice up their lives while driving from point A to point B.

The same way someone might want to spice their life up by putting one while chili flake on their pizza

>food analogies
Just because you fuck your power to weight ratio so hard by sitting in your car doesn't mean my 135 lb ass does too.

lol you just suck at driving

Because they're pretty fun cars. I've got a GTI as my second "practical" car and it works amazing for that.
I would never get rid of my 600hp rwd manual car for it, but it's fun enough that I enjoy driving it which can't be said for most practical cars.

Because there's all kinds of people who are casual but want to appear a certain way.

Because they have places to be, things to see, canyons to drive, bitches to fuck....

We do not have time to start RWD vs FWD flame wars we are too busy enjoying life/cars too much. Stay salty OP