/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Different Eyes Edition

Last Thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy,Cookie Clicker, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indies, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/Hdah3Vz
store.steampowered.com/app/368340/
fadingclubgames.tumblr.com/
karboniclife.tumblr.com/
store.steampowered.com/app/407900/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1
store.steampowered.com/app/522040/?snr=1_5_1100__1100
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Any other games where you find the story by talking to characters?
LiEat is like that but not very open. You usually can walk around but are tied to talk to a specific person to advance.

nth for Ticket

Looks like someone made a discord server for the game, if anyone wants to join then feel free to do so.
discord.gg/Hdah3Vz

A what? What would a single player game ever need a discord server for?

I don't even understand discord. What do people do? Liste to music and talk to each other about the topic? I figured the thread was enough for that. And how come people feel compelled to make one for every topic? I feel it's something that ultimately becomes gisnt circlejerks.

It's basically a chat room like skype, though I don't use skype so I don't know. I use it to talk to friends both in text and voice chat.

It's a weird mix of irc rooms and skype groups both I always used for mainly text discussion.
To me everything is way to splintered with them because people keep making new channels and subchannels for everything.

bump

Is this good in its current state? Anyone try it out, it's still in early access so I don't know how far along it is.

Have a link don't mind me asking?

Yeah
store.steampowered.com/app/368340/

It has a demo, but I remember someone saying they got it in a bundle and it felt incomplete, obviously because it isn't finished. They didn't state if it was a good game or not despite that.

does anyone know if Karbonic have a tumblr?

Yeah, lemme find it. He has a regular one and one for his game.

Is there any possible way I can survive all three rounds of roulette in Lisa without losing a member? I want to have all party members to fuck around with in the EWC, even if I have to try 300 times, I just want to know if it can happen.

Obviously its possible, tho you'd have to savescum if anyone shoots themselves.

Within what realm of possibility? I've never heard of it happening. I feel like there's an unwritten algorithm that makes it so the more people on your squad who get shot, the less likely the next time it's your partner members. That's obviously something I self-imposed, but at least 3 people always bite the bucket. I save scummed to get Buckets and that took a long ass time too, but at least it was only one person at a time.

Just finished the demo and I had a blast! Took about 2 hours to get what I assume is 100%. Characters are well written, dialogue is funny without being forced and the artwork is really good as well, though I'm seriously hoping for a lewd version with all that teasing. I'm really surprised at the amount of content there is for a demo, especially in terms of dialogue and comments for every character.

In terms of combat, it's nothing fancy but the summons add variety and some tension to an otherwise pretty easy combat system.

If I'd have one point of criticism it'd be that while your female and "male" characters are all really well drawn, the actual make characters such as Ken look more like the standard "I drew an anime" deviantart stuff (judging from the unlockable art).

Are you going to keep us updated on any further progress?

fadingclubgames.tumblr.com/

karboniclife.tumblr.com/

its just rng

Who made this masterpiece?

it's really good. super super responsive. I only got a few hours in though, and don't remember a difficulty setting, and it was kinda easy.

thanks dude
i was looking for it so i can link to his tumblr when i finish the pumpkin lewd

about the drawing. i was hoping to be able to finish it today but i didn't had much time to get into drawing and i also had some other stuff to finish first
but i already got the lining and flat colors done so all i have to do left is shading and some little details
hope y'all don't mind a little delay

started playing Nuclear Throne and Devil Daggers. jesus I feel like a filthy casual. Hotline Miami "achievement whore" and Super Hexagon level 6 were peanuts.

Is devil daggers actually that good?

I think so yeah. it HEAVILY penalises shitty 3D aim, and has a massive skill ceiling.

I wonder if I could use it to get better at aiming in other games like TF2?

>no Game of the Thread
rude

This is where you could have posted one.

you could. it would be like learning medical surgery to get better at hairdressing.

How do either of those relate?

sorry bad analogy. why not play TF2 to get better at aiming in TF2? the physics are different. bullets in TF2 are instantaneous while daggers in DD are slow and subject to gravity.

Nah the analogy was good, I got it straight away.

Because I mean sorta all around FPS games, such as TF2 or maybe CS:GO or even like CoD, but since the daggers aren't instant I take that back.

What do you suggest then, also please choose a free game if you do.

not him but this is pretty much /lisag/

>

FUCK it's another daedalic ending. This one is undeniable well written though but still more of a bittersweet ending.
The last chapter you played as the witch who chased you all game, in her childhood memories.

I did it and it only took me 5 tries. I've got all my party members intact. Now to savescum to acquire Bucket again. I'll finally have a playthrough with every member alive.

Well, it's a good ass game, what can you say. It was StardewValley General until that got its own one.

I mean we talk about it here a lot but I mean we talk aobut more than Lisa by a long shot.

It's hilarious, I won all rounds my first go. No need to save scum... which I was planning to do.

GAME OF THE THREAD
Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt
store.steampowered.com/app/407900/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1

Very good game. I played ti already and I tell you DO NOT PLAY ON HIGHEST DIFFICULTY.
It will quickly become impossible and even more batshit insane undoable if you want to go for the 100% playthrough that requires to open the jealous chest.

I had a friend going through this game on his first time and his only member lost from roulette was Percy. Sometimes you lose a few, sometimes you lose almost your entire squad. Just gotta pray for that lucky break.

Put in Rage, its possible

This one's me My order was Nern, then Olan, and lastly I put in Terry Hintz. The man, the myth, the dancing legend. Funnily enough I lost 4 times in a row on the very first non-mandatory roulette run. Gonna come back later to get Bucket because the last time I save scummed to get him, it took me roughly over 2 hours. Time well spent

Sup.
You guys ever heard of this game?
It's coming out this Halloween, and I haven't seen any threads about it on /v/.

looks nice, what kind of game is it?

The tags say it. It was kickstarted and finally finished after years of progress. I'm actually really looking forward to it. Dunno why it hasn't gained much traction on other sites yet.

God DAMN this shitty fucking game pisses me off

Just let Space Funeral be and make your own weird Bubsy game you furry fuck

Making assets is fun.

It's actually pretty good!

Black Tea Recluse detected

Also, I'll work on fixing the fps issues and updating the demo soon!

>The tags say it.
>adventure
>rpg
That just just makes me imagine watered-down shit in the vein of Bethesda's contemporary "RPGs" that are actually bland and poorly made action-adventure games.

But this game certainly doesn't look like that. It looks more like retro platformer or something. And apparently most of the game's budget went into the trailer video with awfully unfitting music.

Pass.

And here's a slightly better description than "hurr look at teh tags" for anyone who cares.

>Creepy Castle is an exploratory, sidescrolling RPG about an awesome moth, conveniently named Moth, who aims to uncover the vast secrets of a creepy castle. It’s a fresh and charming adventure with the looks of a classic, but don’t be fooled by its retro appearance—it’ll kill you with modern gameplay mechanics. A twist on traditional turn-based combat, Duels offer players a chance to score free hits on their opponent by performing well. Players shouldn’t let their guard down outside of Duels, however, or they might allow Moth to be squished by one of the castle’s many real-time dangers, like traditional run-and-jump platformers.

So I guess I should call it a metroidvania with duel gimmick.

Sounds great, keep up the good work lad!

Hey guys, I asked /v/ a question, but they can be dumb sometimes, so I think I'll ask here too.

Should I play Shadowrun Returns, or UnderRail? I only have time for one of them.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of both? Are they even comparable, game play wise?

Which one is objectively better?

Problem, officer?

>Should I play Shadowrun Returns, or UnderRail? I only have time for one of them.
UnderRail is far bigger game than Shadowrun Returns, we're talking 100 hours and 20 hours campaigns here. That's the only advantage for Shadowrun Returns - if you're short on time.

>What are the strengths and weaknesses of both?
SRR: This is the game to choose for its cyberpunk setting. But honestly, if you like the Shadowrun setting, play Dragonfall instead. It's more of the same, but better in all fronts. I haven't tried Hong Kong yet.
UR: This is the game to choose for its gameplay. Excellent character systems, great exploration, best stealth and crafting I've ever seen in an isometric RPG.

>Are they even comparable, game play wise?
Both are turn-based when it comes to combat. In SRR you control a party, but the combat is nu-xcom style retardation with 2-3 action points per turn. UR has far better tactical combat and it manages to do that with only single character and no cover system.

SRR, especially Dragonfall, plays more linearly (home hub -> teleport to mission1 -> teleport to home hub -> teleport to mission2, etc.) whereas UR is about open-ended exploration (and getting lost) in it's world.

>Which one is objectively better?
I don't know about objectivity, but I far prefer Underrail. It's a true hidden gem. Feels like proper classic RPG, absolutely no consolitis.

What was /indie/'s favorite indie game of 2016?

this is nice game

But the game is not finished? But I like playing finished games? Is this still being developed?

Yeah, I thought it sucked too. It's like Space Funeral with everything that made Space Funeral Space Funeral removed and replaced with memes. Furries and neckbeards and Bubsy and shit, c'mon.

Although the White Waking remix was quite nice.

also bump.

I loved it. And I say that after having played all games in a row.

Bump

>a fandom and fat nerds are memes
Oh boy! I can't wait for the next set of spicy memes: goths, jocks, sci-fi fans, and greasers

Plus if anything this game made its own "meme" with Bubsy considering how it breaks the mold with that character.

Underrail... no, Lisa. One of those.

Lisa is a 2014 game

DooM's Japanese Community Project

I swear to all fuck that I'll beat that old, ancient Hero.

Is it possible to make an top-down perspective, roguelike rpg?

Sure, but you'd have to find a way to really streamline / freshen up the combat to make it not a major pain in the ass.

Hey /indie/, I'm looking for more games like Underrail.

Do you have any suggestions?

Aw, your arse. It's all the same shit, just internet stuff. Bubsy already had minor meme status from Bubsy Visits The James Turrell Retrospective and Ulillillia's videos.

SF was one guy's very very personal take on JRPGs, nobody else was gonna put Ruth White and Japanese noise and a blood obsession and a sad man in pajamas together. All 4 adds is obvious internet stuff.

Look at this internet tough guy lmao

>an top-down perspective, roguelike rpg?
Do you actually know what a roguelike is?

>an top-down perspective, roguelike rpg
Yeah, it's called Rogue

inda looks like the threadly game art style wise.

So what's indie playing, making, drawing or learning?

Halloween events in 2 mmos right now.

grinding item proficiency to get ready for bonus boss.

Poor planning means I've gone past the expected level

I programming enemy behaviour in Godot.

Would undertail be better with a cover system?
Unemployed ninja on Nintendo DS

Undertail would be better if it was more like

Neoscavenger

>Karbonic will never give you a handy
Feels bad man

Oh it got a sequel last month.
store.steampowered.com/app/522040/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

Forgot pic

Is this a streamer or what?

I knew posting that was a mistake
No its me

It was a mistake made into a miracle.

Pretty sure that's the joke though. Like it's mutating off of how EarthBirth had shit like libertarians and weed and dubstep and aquaman. Pretty sure the blood stuff in the first game was making fun of shitty horror just adding blood to make things scary. Like a bad Creepy pasta would or something. Guess it's exclusively an internet thing! :^)

You had it coming, bluebird

Fresh blood for the blood gods.

>Can't program or draw for shit
How do I into making my an indie game if I can't do either of these things?

Drawing pixel art is easier to learn than coding

>her