Transmissions

Whats the opposite of Automatic?

FUCKING MANUAL!!

why do you Amerifags call it stick shift or standard??? its a manual transmission

also general transmission thread.

Will the manual gearbox phase out?

>why do you call it stick shift
Well anything with the stick is a stick, you just don't have many column shifter automatic cars around anymore.
>standard
Because it was the standard option.
Thanks for playing.

I've never heard anyone outside of the internet call it standard, but I assume that comes from the days when it was a standard feature and the automatic was an option. Same reason why automatics are so prevalent in the US, they were a luxury item that the rest of the world couldn't afford after the devestations of WWII. Italy couldn't even afford sets for their films; that's Neorealismo. Germany bombed to shit, no money for those fancy automatics. But in the US, what was once a pricey option became the norm.

In Australia it is called manual nothing else its as simple as that. the words stick shift is just more effort to say which is funny because americans say it

Ive never heard it called standard just manual or stick

t. Ohioan

she has nice eyes

>Eyes

faggot

Stick shift is slang, because it's a stick you shift with. I've never heard it called a standard transmission, I thought only Europeans called it that.

/thread

Quick manual question,

Vehicle is a 2002 chevy s10
When double clutching sometimes i hear a slight clunk when releasing the clutch and feel a tiny lurch.
I am quite good at rev-matching and have been driving standard for years (even 5tons)

This never happened with my subaru or ford, but happened occasionally with my bmw and chevy

Could it be a worn input shaft? Or do i just need to get used to shit chevy gearboxes

May be the shaft the thrust bearing slides on needs some lube and its sticking. I have had this in one case.

Just take it apart and slather some gear oil in there?

In Canada

>can you drive manual
>can you drive stick
>can you drive standard

Are all equally acceptable and understood

Confirmed by fellow canadian

Whats funny is that you don't realize manual is three syllables and stick shift is two, therefor it is actually easier to say.

Rear diff clunking? Seeing as it doesn't happen on the front wheel drive cars you mentioned

Manyul
Two syllables if you're lazy like me.
Stick shift had more hard consonants so I have to actually move my mouth to say it.

so you were making fun of americans but literally cannot pronounce a simple word?

I actually wasn't the person you were replying to. I'm American and I can say "man-yew-all" but I'm not going to spend my time saying it like that if I'm just taking fast

Well OP there are actually different types of manual transmissions you can have a sequential manual like you find in muh race car or the aforementioned stick shift that uses an H-pattern shifter which is found in most of our shitboxes

no she doesn't. Also she has disgustingly huge tits

I hear manual/standard/stick/5-speed all used interchangably.

Why does it even matter?

Automatics are for retards,

Americans are retarded.

There's your answer.

>someone mentions that I drive a 5 speed
>I drive a six speed

REEEE

Seconded. They're all used just as often at least by normies

It doesn't, but we're gonna fucking argue about it anyways.

I love that the Mercs have column shifters and the bigger ones have a foot parking brake. Shit is old school.

Everyone I know just says stick..
I mean why say manual, it takes longer

I've got a 10-speed if you count low range.

In 1950s, it was the standard, so it was called standard.
By the 2000s, it's no longer the standard, so you have to specify that it's manual.
By the 2050s, you won't call it anything anymore because it won't exist anymore.

Are they really that huge or is she just fat?
Cas those are absolutely fuckhueg

Standard: offered STANDARD on cars, or in otherwise the automatic costs extra, this is why yuropoors still drive them overwhelmingly; they can't afford anything else.

Conversely after automatic took over as the standard transmission rather than the standard transmission offered on base models, Americans buy cars with a manual because they want to, not because they have to.

I didnt think of that... maybe the guy i bought it from didnt include that in the "just changed all fluids... figures.

You could be right

She looks dead inside

>Conversely after automatic took over as the standard transmission
As in the "normal" transmission, should have really specified. Either way the short version is yuropoors drive manual out of necessity, Americans do not.

but automatic miatas, supras, M5s etc etc are cheaper than their stick shift equivalents

Well the exception is not the rule. With cars like Miatas, M5s and Supras they just charge more for the manual knowing they can keep the "starting at" MSRP down by advertising automatic prices despite knowing everybody will buy the manual anyway.

Miata with manual is cheaper than Miata with auto across all trim lines. Research better next time.

Dick shift
Manuel transmission

I'm sorry you lost the war.

I'm American and I call it manual. What are you talking about?

>Will the manual gearbox phase out?
In some vehicles, certainly. Some manufacturers may drop them entirely too.

Subaru can't afford to kill it off because WRX and STi. Otherwise they probably would in favour of the CVT auto.

Used, he means. And that's because these are sports cars, not commuters. Nobody gives a shit about what transmission goes in a Corolla but you're a sucker to buy an automatic NA Miata.

>supra
wait are you talking about new or used?

The manual transmission for supras is getting harder and harder to find while auto supras are cheap as shit. Plenty of people buy auto MarkIVs w/ FI for 10-15k hoping that one day they'll be able to find a manual tranny for +7k.

In this specific case it's about the increasing rarity of the transmission, the ease of the swap and the high demand.