Volkswagen GTI love

So I'm in the market for a Mk VII GTI. All the videos praise it and I love it's looks features and sportiness. I still haven't gotten a chance to test drive one yet. How's about it br/o/s, care to give me some insight on it? Pros and cons? General GTI love?

It's a comfy commuters car that is geared tall.

Man I thought there would be more love for the Mk VII here. Must be too new to have a concensus of it.

>sportiness
What the fuck does this mean, anyway... "sportiness"?

Is it suspension that is slightly stiff? It is an exhaust that farts a little louder than normal cars? It is an awesome sound generator that makes it sound like you're driving a 5-cyl? Is it a marketing term used by faggots that have already decided they want the car and are now seeking validation from other retards who spout the same marketing terms?

I just don't know.

It costs too much for what it is and there's not a lot of love for VAG around here.

Also as above poster said: it's a commuter car.

Damn......I guess that's why I don't see any Volkswagen on here.

If you want validation about VW's shitty cars, go make a thread on /b/ about how shit VW is and you'll get to witness autists defending the shit out of the brand because it's contrarian of them to do so.

You can leave now, newfriend.

>VAG

get an mk1, atleast you can drive one without being ashamed of urself

2 door mkvii is kill. That's a con imo.

>gti
Hahnrei: der Faden

My friend has a Golf R so it might be slightly different so I won't comment on performance. However, the interior is fantastic. Leagues above the other hot hatches, it's a really nice place to be. I'd buy a GTI if I was in the market for a hatchback.

Best of both worlds OP, very comfortable and perfect for highway driving.

Sporty in the turns with a very nice torquey engine.

The only gripe I have is the VERY tall second gear which makes smooth shifting a chore but otherwise its awesome.

Find a nice used one for like 20k and it is such a good value

I'm looking to buy a GTI, but I'm undecided mainly because I'd much rather buy an older model say from the 90's early 00's and fix it up myself because they're simpler to work on than modern cars and aren't packed with electronics and aren't planned obsolescence.

I found a 2012 GTI with the autobahn package for $18,000 with 95,000 km, which is right on my budget, but I'm not sure if I should buy that, or a 2016 baseline golf with no bells and whistles for $20,000.

Honestly, no other car piques my interest like a golf, I love hatchbacks. Todays cars all look like space shuttles and are locked down tighter than a virgins puss or else I'd be interested in buying a Honda. I had a 95 civic 3 years ago but it crapped on me, I don't think I'd want to buy another one and fix it up and make it brand new, I'd like a golf.

Forgot a bit.

I also thought about getting a golf r for $10,000 more but did more research all it seems to have over the GTI is AWD and 80 more horsepower and looks slightly nicer but it doesn't seem to be worth it.

i have an 07 GTI and i love it. just get your car serviced on time and you probably wont run into any problems. for a first upgrade id recommend coilovers because the stock ride height is too high.

>buy mkiv Golf/GTI
>swap in AWP engine
>bigger turbo
>tune

Pic related, makes 330hp on ~18psi, weighs around 2,950lbs fully fueled with me in it, and cost around 8,500 altogether. Other than the engine and turbo, it's completely stock though, apart from aesthetic stuff. Only issue is FWD, so it can be tough to get power down in first and second if the roads aren't perfect.

suck a dick

get a golf

I drove a 2015 for a few months (belonged to my father) and it's an enjoyable little car. I've got a 16 GLI and while it's not as quick the interior is basically identical. I like both cars and drove both with dsg. You'll find a focus boiracer that is quicker but it won't be nearly as nice.

Yeah VW's get shit on for reliability but I'm gonna take care of it as if it was my baby, I should be alright, that was definitely my first thought was the ride height. Thanks.

This is actually what I'm leaning towards. My VW of choice has always been a MKIV R32, but my father is helping me out a bit and I think he'd rather me buy the 2012 GTI even though this makes economically more sense. Biggest reason I don't want a 2012 GTI is because it has GPS and I'll bet it phones home to VW and it has unnecessary electronics costing more money to repair. It's why I want an older, pure unadulterated car.

I'm planning on it.

Absolutely nothing.
>be looking at new cars
>get brought to a corolla
>dealer says to parents (since they have the actual money)
>red
>bucket seats
>bluetooth
>spoiler
>sporty
>audi.osAmigos.gif

oh the bucket seats, they seem as such a great idea when you are outside / already sitting, and they quickly stop being great idea when you are trying to either get in or get out

t.new GTI owner

he probably means the 210 hp and the sporty looks. its not a slow car per se. i wouldnt call it fast tho.

I'm with ya. Looking to buy a new GTI sport. By far the best car in the segment all around. Of course, in white.

>fwd
>VAG
>VAG reliability
>economy car

Buy a mustang ecoboost w/ Performance Package. Its literally on a whole other level above the GTI in every aspect.

except interior, fuel economy, feature set

mustangs are the biggest fagmobiles ever unless you get it with a V8, might as well admit to dating your cousin

How can you say the GTI has a better interior? Its literally a budget economy car interior. Have you sat in both? THe mustang is much nicer inside.

Mustang city/hwy: 22/31 mpg
GTI city/hwy: 25/34 mpg

GTI barely gets better mpg even though its fwd and weighs 400 lbs less. If that is the deciding factor, get out of your moms basement and get a real job.

>pop onto craigslist browsan cars
>find pic related
>think to myself "hey you know, I haven't been on Veeky Forums in a while"
>come to Veeky Forums
>this thread is on front page

is it a sign?
thoughts on this listing? Is the price too high for a 127k miles car? are VW's expensive to maintain? Mainly looking for a reliable car I can drive locally, and not too far.

That's the GTI S trim, I've only driven the GTI SEL which is a different interior. Is that even the base interior for the Mustang?

That's not the deciding factor, there's also the other included features, like moonroof, Android Auto / Apple Carplay, the fact that it's not a Ford Mustang, numerous other advantages.

I can't believe you'd recommend a V6 mustang, god you're a fag.

Pros: By the time it pulls a Hitler and kills itself at the 100k mark you'll learn what a huge waste of money it is. Financial lessons are cool.

Cons; No Auschwitz model that gasses the driver. They make good furnaces in a crash though.

It's a nice car on paper but fuck VW desu.

>auto
no thx
find something else

The MK7 R is definitely worth the upgrade (vs a MK5 or MK6 R over the same MY GTI).
Is it out of your price range?

R32s look and sound cool as heck

>get called a fag for recommending a rwd sports car that isnt a fwd eco cuck box

you got to be kidding me.....

>don't buy that ecocuck box, buy the ecocuck box built by ford!
I'm personally not a fan of the hothatch meme either and would never personally buy a GTI but the mustang isn't even one of its competitors. You might as well have mentioned an explorer or something.

I'd have less of a problem with the Mustang if they'd split it into two different vehicles, the v6 / ecoboost model for teenage girls / white trash and then the v8 models for people that want a mustang. Maybe bring back the thunderbird name and call the shittier version that.

R series was completely pussified after mk5.

I'm not sure if I should I buy a brand new 2017 baseline golf with no extras for 20 grand or buy a 2012 GTI with 45000 km for the same price.
The GTI is more performance oriented and has nicer suspension and all that shit, but never having driven either I'm unsure which car would drive better. I'm also feeling the GTI, the 2017 has an awful looking interior and the car GTI just looks nicer.

GTI, imo.

not everyone wants a rwd sports car that will be far more expensive in the long run after fuel/insurance/taxes/etc

you guys just don't get that

I'm feeling it too. I feel the 2017 is gonna be boring as shit to drive. I gotta check insurance rates, I hope the GTI isn't significantly more.

I'm in the market for a hot hatch daily driver, but I can't decide between the GTI or Focus ST. I hear so much about reliability issues with VW (built in Mexico, etc) which is making me lean more towards the Focus ST. Is all the VAG hate around here just a meme?

Anyone got a mk4 gti? Might pick one up in a few days. It's got a few issues like some temp codes and hard starting.

Don't be a faggot, get a Speed3

>More power
>More reliability
>Better handling
>More room for upgrades
>Slightly worse interior

I'm also looking to get a mk4 soon.
Are you going to the 1.8t of the vr6?

It's a 1.8t 5 spd

I just bought an mk7 gti, excited!

The thing with a VW is that you might end up spending a bunch of money or you might get lucky and not have to worry - it's like completely independent of whether or not you take care of the car. You could baby the thing and still deal with a bunch of issues - obviously abusing it will make problems more likely but the standard wisdom with any German make is generally "don't keep it past the warranty date".

Personally I'd rather have a WRX than a GTI, but different strokes for different folks. WRX has more power, is more fun, and comes standard with an AWD system superior to most budget-tier Haldex and part-time AWD transmissions BUT the GTI has a nicer interior and is more comfy car to live with/drive every day.

between myself, my brothers and my old man, we've owned 12 different VW's, used and new, the worst problem we've had resulted in changing the alternator... I'm not sure what you're talking about

>I hear so much about reliability issues with VW (built in Mexico, etc)
Ford already makes a bunch of cars in Brazil and Mexico, I think the Focus is still made in America currently but that's changing very soon
>which is making me lean more towards the Focus ST
Unless you're looking at the base GTI, the GTI will have a much better interior and features.
>Is all the VAG hate around here just a meme?
Yes, some dipshit will come here any minute and recommend a V6 mustang because he's a UAW drone. VAG hate is purely the fact that Veeky Forums is full of wanna-be mechanics and rust belt factory workers.

They're not bad but they look dated as fuck atm and the new one is like 1 year away.

Also you'd have to be an idiot to buy the 1st MY of a new car since it's pretty much a public beta test so he'd be looking at a 2 year wait.

people on Veeky Forums talk shit about the gti but it is faster than 90% of their cars with full apr mods. I have respect for the gti. I think the VAG is badas .
P L A I D

Just because it is faster, doesn't mean the GTI is a good car.

As a daily driver the gti is the better car, i doubt you'll be tracking it ever day. I'd say go for the gti, it's the obviously better for everyday usage

Also, is this a girl's car? My coworker made fun of a male employee for having agti and made me wonder what Normie's think of it.

It's not a girls car, I've seen a few women driving them but a lot more men.

I have a 2012 gti with the tsi motor

You have to watch out for your manifold. It's plastic and will shit the bed, if you don't have a warranty it'll run $1000

Also since it's direct injection you have to clean the valves every 30-70k or they'll stick and throw misfire codes

I run 93 gas and make sure to bounce it off the rev limiter a few times a week to knock the carbon loose since valve cleaner won't reach the valves

Also they're notorious for chewing up tires and I mean fast 10-20k fast and that's not doing burnouts or launches

If you get a dsg do the fucking service or it'll feel like shit when you shift

Also be prepared for a water pump

Good luck m8 honestly I wouldn't ever buy another Volkswagen

vw is easily more reliable but if your gonna beat the hell out of it do 3000 mile oil changes with synth... they recomend a retarded 6000 and thats stupid so yeah just take care of it. also i say the eco boost is less reliable cuz it hasent been around as long also my friends always havin problems with his st so im glad im getting a gti.

>93

It's fast, practical, small, economical? Not entirely sure why it isn't a decent respectable car?

>faster
>lighter
But yeah, that VR6 sounded alright compared to the new ones.

>new one
Top kek

because faggots on Veeky Forums love to meme out and jump on the volkswagen hate train.

basically this

Wow guys why the fuck does everyone hate volkswagen?

You fucking memers need to cut it out and recognize superior german engineering!!

>suck a dick
>get a golf
is that vw's new marketing catchphrase

>all this talk about gti's and R
>tfw u got a mk iv 1.6
Haha... Yeah guys luxury and speed...

>2010 and 2011
>initial quality
>J.D. power
literally kill yourself nigger

>t. volkswagen owner

What exactly is this supposed to prove? That VW is in the top half? Wow you sure showed me you dumb nigger.

>reeeeeeeeee

Hmm really makes me think.

My friends dad made him buy one new.

If you're a real driver, you probably won't like the car. Even in sport mode it feels quite dampened and a little isolated. It's definitely quick but not very fun to drive. Props for having a manual option, but the car feels a little too luxury overall.

I dont know why everyone says german cars are unreliable, in my experience (VAG and Mercedes) are not unreliable but parts can be expensive sometimes.
But since all the german cars i had were Diesel and most of the people who complains are from US, my guess is that they only make good diesel engines?
>pic related, one of the most reliable engines i owned

Yes, that you have autism.

VW is fine, no one ever said it was the best brand, yet here you on your personal conquest against VAG.

1.9's were it and miss.

Depending on blocks (letter identifier and hp) you could have reliable ones and utter crap.

VAG cars aren't soemthing to brag about in the reliability department. Much due to the fact the parts are made to suit several models and not perfected to suit a single one.