If I had a dashcam, could the police/court/whomever force me to turn recordings as evidence against myself...

If I had a dashcam, could the police/court/whomever force me to turn recordings as evidence against myself? And if someone happened to cause a wreck and I needed a recording as evidence, could earlier recordings of me hooning on empty roads be used against me?

Also looking for recommendations for cheap dashcam. I don't really need high quality video or sound recording.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3412322/Shocking-moment-motorcyclist-weaves-traffic-speeds-155mph-revealed-jailed-two-years.html
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34744459
dailymail.co.uk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>keep a hammer
>destroy evidence

well I might as well not even get one if I'm just going to destroy it. I just want to know if any of you have experience or know what rights are protected with these.

>If I had a dashcam, could the police/court/whomever force me to turn recordings as evidence against myself?
Doubtful but destroy the evidence anyway.
>And if someone happened to cause a wreck and I needed a recording as evidence, could earlier recordings of me hooning on empty roads be used against me?
Would be completely irrelevant and in order to pursue charges they'd need to prove it was you driving among a ton of other bullshit.

so there's no downsides to using one, other than the initial cost?

>And if someone happened to cause a wreck and I needed a recording as evidence, could earlier recordings of me hooning on empty roads be used against me?

There's some law that prevents you from incriminating yourself like that

How about you stop driving like a cunt, then you can stop worrying about the police using any evidence against you.

no. the touge is mine

>There's some law that prevents you from incriminating yourself like that

> Implying that the people who make the laws also follow them
It's america; the police are the law. If you don't like it, they'll change it, or find that the law's wordes so loosely they can make a lawyer find a loophole to hit you with.
If he doesn't do it, he can get stuck with some random charge with fabricated evidence.

Richard Nixon wishes there was a law like that lol. Your 5th amendment rights don't apply to destroying/concealing evidence.

t. Tyrone or Carl

and I needed a recording as evidence, could earlier recordings of me hooning on empty roads be used against me?

Just turn it off if you're driving sideways in a parking lot

people in the uk have had their camera equiptment seized and used against them in court.

One guy on a superbike recorded himself doing wheelies and 150mph+ on cbr rr and got two years in prison.

source:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3412322/Shocking-moment-motorcyclist-weaves-traffic-speeds-155mph-revealed-jailed-two-years.html

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34744459

g1w C. 1080p video and cost me $50. need to buy $10 32gb sd tho

>He even carried out a 'wheelie' manoeuvre - where he rides on just his back wheel - in a housing estate before accelerating.

As if not everyone already knows what a wheelie is.

>If I had a dashcam, could the police/court/whomever force me to turn recordings as evidence against myself?

Yes, if they can prove it contains evidence. For course if they pick it off your car after a wreak that is reason enough.

And if someone happened to cause a wreck and I needed a recording as evidence, could earlier recordings of me hooning on empty roads be used against me?

Well that would probably be up to you to produce your own evidence so unless you give them the naughty bits you should be good or in other words don't ask don't tell.

Plead the 5th

t. Camry or Prius driver

>could the police/court/whomever force me to turn recordings as evidence against myself?

As shown in one of the previous dashcam threads on Veeky Forums, the police can require your dashcam footage be given to them. They will ask politely, but if you withhold it, then can have you step away while they impound the car to ensure that evidence remains untampered. A search warrant will then be requested from the courts in order to view the dashcam footage.

In one place mentioned in a prior dashcam thread, the police were described as seizing the evidence.

>pull out SD card
>throw it away
WEW that was hard!

>Plead the 5th

You can do that, but that is you. The police can still obtain evidence against you from your car. For example, they are allowed to download the OBD2 data from YOUR car and use that to convict you. You cannot deny them that data from your car.

Most of not all dash cans record in segments of 15 seconds or 30 seconds. If you got rekt but we're hooning you just send the important clips and delete the other shit.

t. a retard that literally doesn't know how to use a blinker

I carry an obdII code reader in my glove box (right next to my gloves) so I can just reset the code while I pull out my SD card and eat it

GET A LAWYER. GET A LAWYER. GET A LAWYER. And get a camera that has a password on it. Ohhhh and GET A LAWYER.

In most countries you have no obligation to produce evidence against yourself in court(U.S 5th)

Just delete records of you being a nigger before turning them in

This. If you are too fucking stupid to know that answer yourself pay a lawyer 100 pounds or whatever stupid currency your "nation" uses to get legal advice.

You don't understand the watergate scandal at all. If evidence is subpoenaed by congress and you destroy the evidence AFTER it has been subpoenaed then it is a crime.

Where the fuck do you live where the police get actively involved in crash investigations? That is the insurance companies job. Police just write a ticket, wait for tow truck to arrive, then leave.

must be hot new thing at his middle school

1st question: Yes. With a but: if the medium the camera is recording an encrypted medium, they can either ask you for the key, (self incrimination) or brute force break the encryption, something they won't do on a routine traffic accident.
>Besides, cops can usually tell what happened just from the wreckage and where the cars are from each other. So incrimiaring dash can footage is meaningless.

2nd Question: yes, but not related to the first investigation otherwise it could be argued the cops were phishing and get the entire thing thrown out. That being said, a good lawyer could still argue the second investigation is also phishing and get the charges thrown out.

Of course this is if you don't listen to the conspirannoia fags and become convinced that the cops will book you for anything.

>source
>dailymail.co.uk

Produce reliable source. The Daily Mail is not a reliable source of anything other than isolationist rhetoric.