Discuss your Self-Driving future Veeky Forums

The U.S. has given driverless technology a big thumbs up, with fairly minimal regulation. This is your future

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iHzzSao6ypE
youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have to write an opinion piece on a topic, chose self driving cars

Need pro/con, for/against opinions on the whole driverless car topic, specifically in the US

Not asking to be spoon-fed, but seeing other opinions besides the same shit repeated in every article would be helpful

Things to consider:
- Moral dilemma of the car's decision in a situation where the tech fails
- The techs adaptability/function in fog, rain, *snow*, dust, etc.
- adaptability to poorly maintained/unmarked/dirt roads, "road work" conditions
- Government control of cars/data gathering/ remote immobilization etc.
- haxorz
- limitations of current cameras/sensors
- integration with human powered cars, eventual replacement
- how you will be the one guy making gasoline in his garage lab and blasting your turbo rx7 around self-driven soapboxes in a postapocalyptic-retrofuturistic southwestern landscape in the year 2k69

inb4
>Tesla shouldn't market their tech as Autopilot, we should be given a clear idea of the tech's limitations
we've got this one already thanks

There are no cons. It will objectively benefit every single person's lives.
>boohoo I can't drive my miata anymore!
Wow literally no one cares
>mechanics and after market parts distributors will lose their jobs!
They'll be repurposed. If they're unable or unwilling to adapt, then that's their fault.

This

>The U.S. has given driverless technology a big thumbs up, with fairly minimal regulation.
>with fairly minimal regulation.
Surprising. I guess they really do want it to thrive.

Heavy regulation is the fastest way to snuff out business after all.

/thread

Not surprising, it will literally make life for everyone better

>actually thinking they will ever outlaw driver piloted vehicles

At most they'll give much more stringent driver's license tests. Which is also a great thing.

Well it'll make life for people that consider cars to be appliances better. That is the majority. The minority will suffer for it if they outright ban driven cars on public roads.

Self-driving cars can only work perfectly if there is zero human involvement, since humans are the ones making mistakes behind the wheel

If you leave human-driven cars on the road, self-driving cars can't work perfectly because you can't program a car to anticipate a human's moves, since humans are unpredictable

Human-driven cars will be exclusively for track use, if that

That's too bad for the minority, then

Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices for the good of everyone

In my opinion people are overly concerned with the future of self driving cars. Yes the technology is coming, that is very clear ( Tesla) but when you look at the logistics of implementing it across the board it falls apart. I don't expect the death of human driven automobiles (meaning only autonomous cars are on the road) until I'm already dead.

That will never happen, or will happen so far down the line it won't be in our lifetimes. They don't outlaw planes that are stock WW1. They don't outlaw horse and buggies. They don't outlaw bicycles or motorcycles. You might need special permits, but that'll be all.

What if you can't afford one? Will they just make my current car illegal and tell me I'm fucked?

Fyck that m8 driverless cars are for peons, rich assholes will keep it legal because
>muh 500k supercars
since they run everything.

OP trying to bump his own thread lmao

>9 posters

You missed the part where a majority of the country can't buy one, because used cars are always going to be much cheaper than anything Tesla can hope to mass produce

>Boohoo they took my only form of transportation
Nigger you have 0 logic

16 - 9 = ???????????

I've already got a permit, it's called a drivers licence.
I don't want a manual-car licence as well.

>every reply to a thread must be a reply to OP
Lurk moar, pal

Just subscribe to Google's inevitable transport service, use an app on your phone to call a Google car and they'll send one to your location
Enter your destination when it arrives, kick back and off you go

Either pay a monthly fee and get a certain amount of rides per month or pay per ride

Nice try, samefag.

Roads won't have traffic lights nor stop signs anymore if we go full AI cars. Won't be anywhere for human operated cars to operate afterwards.

I used to be against this, but honesty, there really isn't any need for a human to drive since most don't care about what they are doing behind the wheel - not to mention 30k in deaths per year that would be saved from AI controlled cars.

Sucks to know that big ole trucks, V8 monsters, hot hatches, and the good old shitboxes won't be around in the future.

That's shit, why would I pay for that when I have a car that gets 40mpg that I bought brand new?

>Roads won't have traffic lights nor stop signs anymore if we go full AI cars
>what are pedestrians

Trade it in and get a discount

>23 posts
>11 posters

yeah OP is totally not samefagging, that'd be way to crazy for an honorable site like Veeky Forums

The greater concern for me in the trucker industry.

Removing the human requirement from road-based freight will costs tens of thousands of jobs

it's worth like 50% of it's value from when I bought it

Is the future filled with people who like to waste potential money by going to dealers?

4 of those replies have been between you and me. 5 replies now. See how fast that was?

>Removing the human requirement from road-based freight will costs tens of thousands of jobs
Jobs will fix themselves, dude.

Good thing I ride a motorcycle.

>implying donorcycles won't be the first to go in the name of safety

if cars are going to be gimped because americans are too dumb to envision a future where all those unwilling city plebs aren't forced to have cars to get to and from work while holding a decent job without having to move next to it, i'll just ride a bike

ban bikes? oh yeah, let's start a shitstorm over personal liberty over optional vehicles that dent bumpers and use less fuel. i can see old bikes without modern emissions controls being banned because of the sheer number of them, though.

people would benefit more if public transit were actually practical and not full of hobos

giving everyone a fucking car is inefficient and necessitates complex, failure-prone systems

step 1: upgrade transit
step 2: kill hobos now that you don't need money to upgrade transit
step 3: individual transit is now infinitely safer since traffic density just plumetted and the unwilling tards who can't drive are on buses, so self driving anything is mostly a gimmick

Yeah I just said it's unfathomable that someone could possibly be samefagging, I mean... what are the chances of something crazy like that???

He's just mad he made it too obvious and got caught. Let him be. He'll learn subtlety eventually. when he spends more time here.

Yeah I'm sure an equivalent number of new jobs will just come out of nowhere and the paychecks will come from private money instead of higher taxes

>inefficient
Explain

not him but

If you gave everyone a car you would need to cut costs so much that the product would be shit. This is why we have capitalism and not communism, too have nice things.

But you're essentially turning the existing road network into a hyper-efficient, more personalized public transport system

You're just removing the danger that is a human driver

I agree totally. All the money and research spent creating self driving cars would be better spent improving and optimizing public transit.

Human driven cars being cast aside by the general populace in favour of more convenient public transit would be vastly preferable to human driven cars being banned outright in favour self driving cars.

Just like they did during the industrial revolution

In terms of resources expended on manufacturing and maintenance of the vehicles and the infrastructure and regulations needed to support and manage them, proportional to the number of people you are transporting within a certain timeframe. Yeah. It's not efficient.

I see self driving limo-taxis in the future running on ad-hoc "bus routes" as a means of dealing with america's lack of centralization, but not self driving cars. Those are and always will be upper class gimmicks. Also, with lower traffic densities and SOME self-driving vehicles, you can increase speed limits, making the roads faster for everyone. Lost jobs in public transit? Bus drivers are now construction workers, making roads safer and capable of handling even higher speeds.

You see the fucking jetsons with everyone relaxing in their personal little pods, whizzing around the roads. I think that's fucking retarded and a massive waste of steel. The R&D into self driving shit is nice, but it's not suited for that application.

I see the road system remade as autobahn-quality highways branching off into metro areas, with more thoroughly trained and regulated human drivers who want to drive themselves sharing the roads with streamlined mid-capacity robobuses, since rail is an expensive investment. Maybe robobuses would get their own lanes on such highways allowing them to travel many times faster than individual transit, and you wouldn't even need to do more than repaint, since with reduced road usage you no longer need 5 lane interstates.

>Americans have been fighting for muh guns for years
>think they're just going to give up their right to drive a car
>inb4 it's not a right

Try telling someone the second most expensive possession they own is going to be illegal soon and they have to pay $$$$$$$$ To get a new legal car. American Revolution round two will fucking happen.

Cash for clunkers: Part two. Watch all normies ditch their shitbox for a fancy new self-driving model in a heartbeat.

>Yeah I'm sure an equivalent number of new jobs will just come out of nowhere and the paychecks will come from private money instead of higher taxes
If we all thought like that, cars would have never been invented because people that created buggies for horses would have lost their jobs

lmao, the industrial revolution created an abundance of jobs because human hands were needed to work the factories and construction projects, so much so that factories employed children to help with output to meet demand

You don't understand how the government works
The fact they'll make it MANDATORY to upgrade their car, means they can give whatever the fuck they want for the old cars, people will be getting like 5% of the value of their car back, because the government is cheap as fuck.

I sure do wonder what kind of lead you mix with your morning cereal that would make you think people want to fucking get into pic related

It will happen, but slowly over decades, starting from major metropolitan areas. But yeah, we'll still have streetlights and legal gasoline cars for another 50 years at least.

kys

it'll take a few thousand years if it even happens

>step 1: shithead milennials in dense cities can not even begin to enjoy driving except for track days and country roads, for those so financially well off, and transition from taxis, to uber, to self driving uber
>step 2: dense cities expand, because it's more economical for housing and america is too pleb for population control
>step 3: just driving isn't close to enjoyable for anyone, auto-taxis are dominating, america is just now realizing that their dense as fuck cities can be easily traversed on foot and start installing high speed rail or its future equivalent
>step 4: no more cars, the rich and powerful have personal aircraft for travelling between cities
>rural folk just take motorbikes and pedalbikes to rail stations when it's not possible to walk if they want to get to/from the city, or around their own area
and nobody had to ban anything

what about people who like driving?
Or is your "shithead millennials hate cars" the answer to that?

This is retarded

This makes me very sad.

I truest enjoy even my daily commute.

Do you even want to live through the rise of the machines?

Trick question you, won't nobody will.

fucking LOL, OP here, made the thread and went to work, I have to write the paper when I get off

Meanwhile enjoying a larabar lemon bar in the bathroom stall and decided to check the thread, surprised it didn't die already tbqh

But yeah obviously the first reply was me retard it's like 10 seconds after OP was made

Not everyone lives in a dense city, I, for example, live in a small town in the middle of the bible belt, and if I wanna go to the closest thing considered a city, it's about an hour and a half drive, no public transit what-so-ever. The sheer design of the USA makes it so this sort of thing is impossible unless you live in the few areas of the states that actually are massively built up, like the North East, South West, or South East.

Can't wait for self fucking driving. Then i can drop my deathbike and not have to worry with parking the damn shitbox.
The social impact is gonna be huge and devastating, this taxed, regulated, gibs me dat modern economy won't be able to deal with all the fired truckers.

Yet i will sleep like a baby

It's EXACTLY as I said earlier, there's no way, at all, that OP could p o s s i b l y be samefagging, like absolutely, infintesimely n o w a y, it's just too crazzzzzzy

it isn't my future, it's my present.

I saw this coming, so i made the swap. Bikes might be getting more AIDS but for the time being i don't have to bow down to the robot overlords.

Besides driverless cars should work to my favour, the more drivers that do the right thing; signal properly, merge properly, etc, the more laws i can safely ignore. Another boon is robot drivers=less police funding=less cops=more fun on the roads for bikes.

Driverless cars will have cameras and shit to distribute the cop work load. You'll get ticketed for every single infringement.

They'll also just signal the other driverless cars what they're gonna do over radio frequencies, so turn signals won't be necessary.

you forgot about pedestrians, need signals for alerting pedestrians.

most normies already have cameras and i haven't got fined. Car companies might give the Alphabets back doors to spy on people, but they're not going to let regular LEOs have access to anything, not even simple camera footage, without a warrant.

I don't really give a shit considering my daily driver is pic related. Considering that these are still legal despite having seatbelt laws and strict safety tests for manufacturers to abide by, I don't really see "self driving cars" as the tipping point that is going to exterminate motorcycles.

I welcome it to be honest. All you retards drive like shit anyways

As fucking if

>the president of the USA will be allowed to kill you while you drive to work because you told people on a cambodian basket weaving forum that your country was better.

>drives a bike
>calls other retards

You're the one who swerves between the lanes while speeding and dies anyway.

run out of places to drive that aren't dedicated tracks or the future's excuse for a rural area

and end up an even smaller minority than they are now, rendering all production of fully manual cars pointless in the eyes of manufacturers. after some time, you don't find anything running or anything that can be made to run that isn't in a showroom. so you put shitty ICEs (or electric motors, if ICEs have passed the showroom point and you can't fabricate one) on bicycles and go-kart like contraptions and putter around.

youtube.com/watch?v=iHzzSao6ypE
youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Most bikers die alone on the twisties. Traffic crashes are something like a lane splitter going the speed limit while everyone else is doing 10 under and one butthurt faggot getting jealous and opening his door.

the simpler solution to traffic: fewer vehicles

Yes, because it is totally ok to speed BETWEEN 2 CARS ONE METER APART

It's not that big a deal if the drivers can A: go in a straight line, B: check mirrors and blind spots before going for that precious gap that won't get them fucking anywhere, and C: not be jealous that someone traded low risk and high practicality for high risk, low practicality, and high mobility

Some bikes aren't even a foot wide

>it's another cager argues against the divine and proven facts of lane splitting episode

>- The techs adaptability/function in fog, rain, *snow*, dust, etc.
>- adaptability to poorly maintained/unmarked/dirt roads, "road work" conditions

These are my personal main concerns. I live in a snow-heavy area, and I drive on a lot of backroads that are not regularly plowed, are completely iced, very narrow and so on. I struggle to see how a computer system would be able to adapt to something like that, or atleast with the level of technology I see us having in the near future

I like that the speed limit is 90 and the bike looks like it's having fun without worries of car merging into him.

Bad solution. Buses can't stop at every location I want to go.

I can't wait for a hacker to remotely shut down a few thousand driverless cars, creating gridlock that requires tow trucks to clear. That will kill driverless tech for sure

Nice triton faggot

>>states not getting revenue from licenses, tickets, ect.

I can't wait for those higher taxes.

They won't flat out ban driven cars, just like they won't flat out ban guns. They'll just pick at it little by little and call it common sense reform in the name of public safety. Expensive tax stamps for turbos, shit like that.