Adding Aux on older cars

How do you add an aux input on an older car? Are you able to just drop on a new stereo unit?

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/In-Car-FM-Transmitter/49096225
jazzyengineering.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah. The absolute easiest way is to just get a stereo, not to mention they're fairly cheap nowadays.

You'll almost certainly need a dash kit. They're easiest to find on eBay Motors even if you have no intention on buying one there, it's a good way to find the part number you need.

You'll also want a wire harness for your vehicle so that you don't have to cut any factory wires.

If in doubt, just bring it to a car security & audio shop and pay a premium for guaranteed results.

Nope, you're stuck with AM radio

You can get an aux adapter that plugs into the back of your oem radio for some cars. It's what I did in my civic. Then I bought a flush mount connector and crimped the wires together.

Depending on the car, a head unit, or a direct input through the antenna. Which is what I use.

If you gave a cassette player, you can get a faux cassette with an aux cable. That's what I do with my camry.

just use an fm transmitter and make your own radio station desu desu

uhhhh comet or mustang from the 60s?

i wanna do this to my Ferrari p4 but it doesn't have a radio...

Those sound like shit.
Muh audio quality.

Some oem radios have test points inside for the cassette deck that you can solder input wires to. I know this can be done for first gen Highlanders, just unplug the cassette deck before reassembly.

That is by far NOT the easiest way.

If your older car has a tape player, spend $6 on pic related and you have an AUX cord.

how old are we talking about
quite a few radios from the 90s are easy to mod to allow for aux input

there are also cd changers emulators that do exactly what it says on the tin

if we are talking about old cars then you have to either get an fm transmitter, but they are pretty shit unless you'll pay shitload of money

doesn't work with all radios mainly because some of them need to completely close the cassette port to work.

>source: my own fucking car

The cassette port is behind the outer face, it needs to full close to work.

>tfw miata radio has a slot for a cassette or minidisc player module
>3rd party aux modules available
>aux would be nice but would cost about as much as the CD collection I amassed for the radio
>decisions

Forget Aux.
Get an FM transmitter

fuck, i've posted too soon
continuing

>if we are talking about old cars then you have to either get an fm transmitter, but they are pretty shit unless you'll pay shitload of money

...or do a stealth installation if you want to retain a stock look

i had some nice tutorial what would you need to do it but i can't fucking find it right now

i'm talking about proper radio setup here, none of that pathetic 15$ aux ports

what car is that. I just bought a cassette to aux adapter for my 98 integra dc4.

these sound like shit too, only a little better than an fm transmitter

mine adds a significant amount of hiss, and only plays the left stereo channel

Chrome castle

1999 lancer, but a LOT of pioneer radios work that way too

If you rewind/forward the tape it will output stereo sound.

At least it did for me when i used an aux.

Whatever you do, don't google around and find someone who specializes in adding aux ports to factory radios, that would be too hard.

-If you want to maintain the stock look of your interior, but want a nice sound system you can easily bypass the radio with a line driver such as the JL Audio CL-RLC. All you need is a good set of speakers, a 4 channel amp, a sub (optional) and the line driver. This will allow you to wire the amp directly into your speakers bypassing the radio. You can then choose your input method, either an 3.5 aux in, or digital in from your phone/mp3 player. The line driver comes with its own volume knob that you can place anywhere, or modify it to work off your existing radio volume knob. Its very easy to supply power to your radio so the controls still light up. The only downside is that you will loose FM/AM function.

posting my modified LS400 radio again

That tiny black button turns on the AUX that was added in.

Just stick a new headunit in with aux port

My old CTS was similar to this. Had an aux port and an on/off switch near the shifter. Was pretty well done surprising

I plugged a blootoo adapter into it and then wired it into the ashtray. Works pretty good.

This, i use one and have to deal with static whenever in the city.

I have a 04 TSX, stereo install was just too complicated so I opted for a AUX input instead

the easiest way is to buy an FM Transmitter
walmart.com/ip/In-Car-FM-Transmitter/49096225

They are basically universal, but the sound isnt great and static cuts in sometimes.

The real way is to buy a head unit, dash kit, and wiring harness. you need a dash kit and harness that fit your model car. Buy something that doesnt look too out of place in the car. The simpler the design the better.

The car is an 06. The year before Ford added the aux.

Your stereo is a piece of shit then. Mine sounds fine, way better than any transmitter. You have bigger problems that have nothing to do with a cassette adapter.

My stereo sounds fine with CDs. Additionally, if I turn up my phone's volume and turn down the car's volume, the hissing decreases - indicating that the problem is with either the cassette adapter or my car's amplifier (which, again, has no problems with other inputs.)

get a double din head unit with navigation.

Fuck these, completely shit idea if you have any appreciation for no added distortion. Just get a new HU, much easier on the eyes and no mess. Invest 160$/€ and get one with bluetooth, fuck cables of all sort, no excuses not to use wireless these days.

This is what I have in my 20-year old automobile, looks right in place with the interior.

Oh and if that oval-hole Drok TDA pee-pee amp faggot is here, I've got news for him.

t. Donald poster

Holy fuck your clock LCD is still working? Mine lost all of its segments and is just impossible to read at this point.

Inline FM modulator

Nope, its far worse then FM transmitter, i tried both and that cassette thing was beyond shit on sound quality.

It could always be a faulty unit. I've been using the same cassette adapter in my volvo for the last 9 years and I've always had clear sound quality. Granted I have it jammed in there on purpose to make sure it is always making complete contact.
In the past I've tried switching to fm transmitters and had many family and friends who used them, and not a single one was reliable or clear sounding in any way.

Depends on the car, older cars are much easier than new ones. My car needs a whole bunch of shit or an $80 adapter. Fucking Subaru.

Luckily my volvo has one as standard, then I just plugged a bluetooth receiver in to it.

Get an adapter, see what kind of connections or unit has, if it isn't pre-historic it should have some kind of aux input.

Otherwise, if you're ok with doing some soldering and fiddling with electric components you can always add an aux line to your stereo. However if you were able to do so, you wouldn't be here asking.

crap sound, but it gets the job done

No it does not. You are stupid and spreading lies. Don't talk shit about things you don't know.

>>No it does not. You are stupid and spreading lies. Don't talk shit about things you don't know.
Says the retard who hasn't tried to add something to a modern "infotainment" car. Old car are much easier as you are usually starting from scratch. Just run your wires and mount everything.

Sure thing buddy. Just a couple months ago added an aux line to an E92, after bmw themselves told my buddy it couldn't be done without a new headset.

Wanna know the funny shit? bmw had a part number for the aux plug and cables, the radio had an aux input at the back. and i didn't even need to splice, cut or solder anything.

take out the radio, unclip the cables from the connector and install them on the new with the aux cables, plug everything back in and assemble the aux connector

want me to tell you how i did it on a Golf VI too?

Or maybe on a R53 Mini?

Fuck you buddy. You're the ignorant.

Waiting for Drok TDA peepee-amp guy to enter the thread through an oval hole drilled into chinese plastic.

Pls come here and tell us how you have no money.

Guess you've never worked on a Subaru, they have a different head unit for each model. There is no just plug it in. You either swap the head unit or get extremely creative by opening the head unit and patching in an AUX. Stop thinking you know everything because you plugged some this in.

> thinking subaru is special snowflake

you dumbfuck, even subaru oem radios are just like other radios, stop trying to act like an entitled fuck

you clearly know jackshit

Yes because someone's whole business model doesn't exist of Suburu stupidity.
jazzyengineering.com/

What do you think you use on other cars to make aux ports?

Are you fucking retarded?

Not as retarded as you who makes general statements without checking the facts.

> no excuses not to use wireless these days.

except cancer

I see the americans are waking up. Great shitpost mate :)

I have a Xiaomi Roidmi. It's marvelous