Tool General: Inch VS Metric

General Tool Talk
Brands, Costs, Storage Setups, ect

Sub topic
SAE Vs. Metric

Which is better?
Which do you prefer?
Why?
Try to use citations of real arguments and facts, not just 'merifat and europoor hur dur bullmess.

>main
Looking for a good socket/ratchet set. Currently using a Pittsburgh from Harbor Freight, it's alright. Would like something nicer.

>sub topic
I use metric because my car was manufactured in Japan and it calls for metric tools.

Metric forever and always bevause I'm Australian
Only sae for 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch fittings, 5/16 or 3/8 screw blocks etc

Metric, because its just fucking easier.

SAE is the patrician measurement system, a constant reminder of the glorious British empire in its time of greatness. God save the Queen m80.

Source: We Brits wrote the Bible, and so we always speak the truth of God's word.

For me, so much this.
Whenever I say this to anyone over the age of 50 I get the whole "you dumb kids...blah blah...japs...blah blah....thank Reagan saved us from that crap"
Maybe I am dumb for not wanting to memorize a whole list of fractions instead of using a numerical order EVERYONE knows.

>we Brits
>SAE

I think you should be cheering for Whitworth and BSF. I prefer them because that means I'm working on a classic British car.

>not wanting to memorize a whole list of fractions

Now your just being a lazy ass. SAE isn't hard at all, it's numerical order in 1/16ths of an inch; 1/16, 2/16=1/8, 3/16, 4/16=1/4, ect.

I have to use both but honestly I prefer metric.

Sorry fellow burgerbros.

I have a full 1/4 and 3/8 metric socket set made by SUNEX. Bought them both on amazon for like $130, you get 6-19mm shallow and deep and they are GREAT. Idk about their ratchets though, they didnt come in the kits I bought. I have a few Snap On ratchets that are great, pretty much the only things they make that are worth the price. I also have craftsman ratchets that arent bad and recently a 15" 3/8 flex head that I am absolutely in love with made by EZ RED for only $30

No shit I know how it works. Its dumb af when compared to metric

>SAE vs Metric
>Which is better
The ones that actually fit on your car. Real car guys always have both, and know by eye which size spanner to use for which bolt. You should also know replacements: iirc, a 3/8ths spanner is a good substitute for a 10mm.

>Not being fluent in powers of two
That's like basic maths man. Once you get used to it (which you probably haven't), you won't have any problems.

usually whatever type the car is actually for. but that being said i like metric because it's simple.

metric
>hey this 5mm socket is too small what size is next, 6mm

sae
>hey this 1/4" socket is too small what size is next. lemme revisit some fucking 5th grade fractions since my tool box isn't organized

>being so retarded fractions are actually difficult to remember

I will add here you never hear anybody complaining about a lost SAE socket, but metric on the other hand...

i don't like fractions and it's bad

What said...
Don't forget about the #/32 and #/64 sizes in there.

>>Not being fluent in powers of two
>That's like basic maths man. Once you get used to it (which you probably haven't), you won't have any problems.
Again, I understand how it works, but not wanting to deal with maths and whatnot instead of a universaly understood numerical order doesn't make one lazy.
It's just more simple, thus more convenient.
Point being, Metric>SAE

>universaly understood numerical order

Which is exactly what fractions are. Stop being lazy. Part of being a good mechanic is thinking and problem solving. Otherwise your just a parts changer.

>lemme revisit some fucking 5th grade fractions
If you're stupid enough to forget those, sure, imperial is hard to use. Even for a Yuro like me, imperial is easy because remembering 1/4=2/8=4/16=8/32 is easy as piss.

GOD why is HARBOR FREIGHT SO BASED Veeky Forums?

>mfw another free flashlight

... to clear up

SAE easy
metric easier

>Not knowing there's imperial substitutes for a lot of metric sizes

I wonder why there aren't any spanner sets going 1/32,2/32,3/32,4/32,5/32 etc. For people like you, who can't remember the maths behind it. Would that help?

Recommending the Craftsman 3/8th socket set with 75t ratchet. It's kinda beefy but better than old 30something tooth Snapons. I'm looking at Nepros 90t ratchets as an upgrade.

>look at me i use an inferior system, i am a special snowflake

probably drive a manual too

I need torque wrenches. Will be working on everything from motorcycles to diesel trucks so I imagine I'm gonna need a few with different ranges. I'm not a rich man, but I'm willing to spend some money to get quality tools. Suggestions? What do you guys use?

because chinks used to drown female babies at birth or leave them in these bhuddist towers and they would take days to die out in the elements as people walked by while they were screaming...

based chinks still kill their female babies.
having a girl is bad luck in china

it was, no there are so many males the females have the upper hand massively family wise

I prefer Inch because the blocks are bigger and its easier to read. 1cm is like a the thickness of a fingernail, fucking tiny, not gonna bring my glasses for that.

I like my Kobalt torque wrench

Generally best to use SAE when working on SAE fasteners, and metric for metric fasteners

Precision Instruments, best bang for the buck by far

the Kobalt 1/2" torque wrench available at any Lowes is pretty good.

Good design , case , and it comes with a certificate for that wrench that shows at settings the actual torque values which were pretty spot on.

I was originally looking at Matco/snapon/cornwell but refused to spend 330+ for the same size wrench.

Sae is objectively better because bolt sizes are pretty easily identifiable by just looking at the head. There's far too many metric sizes for this to work. For example 13mm is a common bolt size on trucks, but for some reason mack uses 12mm and there's no easily distinguishable difference between the two. Same with 8mm (5/16) Mack trucks use 7mm hose clamps instead of 8s, however the differences between 1/2 9/16 5/8 etc. are pretty easy to tell apart.

How much should I expect to spend on a full tool set that will allow me to basic-intermediate maintenance and modifications to any vehicle? I know that some mods/maintenance require special tools.

$500? $1000?

I like the way a 1/2 6 point socket fits on a 13mm bolt better than I do a 13mm. Granted my sockets are GP duos made in taiwan. With a 1/2 there is virtually no slop, but it's a little difficult to remove the fastener from the socket at times.

$500 will buy you a pretty basic cheap set of tools.

usually tools are aquired over time until you have enough to do any job. start with what you can afford and then as you need more tools/ different tools go buy them.

You dont have to get everything all at once..

I've been a tire installer for about 2 years now and I've gotten away with using a 120 piece impact socket set with 3/8" amd 1/2" drives ranging from 8 mm to 22 mm and 1/4" to 15/16" sizes for about everything. I also picked up a Harbour Freight Pittsburgh 1/4" drive set with ratchet with weird sizes like 5.5 mm and I've never had a problem 99% of the time.

Only decent tools I have are a set of Snap On pry bars, Mac Tools tire inflator, Mac tools long reach plier set (on sale) and a Mastercrap Maximum 20 piece screwdriver set and torque wrench, Ingersoll-Rand impact gun, air ratchet and die grinder

>Misc. HF trim panel tools, 17, 19 and 21 mm torque sticks, Johnson bar, HF pick set, voltmeter, battery terminal puller, monkey wrench set, extension set

I got a power torque brand from oriellys had good assortment of sockets, ratchets are acceptable, also got sae and metric impacts and 12 sae/ metric wrenches with employee discount and it was maybe 125$? Other than that I didn't need a whole lot save for pliers specialty tools hammers etc. Was also told something about power torque having the same part number as gm tools

I really only get stumped with 16mm stuff, it's not a very common size so I'm always grabbing the 17 for it. On cars at least it's easier. Jap is usually 12-14-17-19, American usually 13-15-18. Euro shit is just all over the place, torx, Allan, triple square bunch of dumb shit. Stuff like hose clamps you can get away with using sae instead of metric and vice versa. It's super hard to find a nutdriver set with a fucking 9/32 but a 7mm fits just as nicely.

Still stoked on the new garage and work bench. Gotta pick up some pegs and figure what I want to mount on there. A couple saws will def go up there but I will probably just keep small stuff in the tool box.

I didn't even want to post ITT but the stupid SAE vs Metric question just added a whole level of moronic that I had to respond.

Really? Which is better? Come the fuck on.

A whole new level of dumb has been achieved.

Thank you.

I see 16 on suspension a fair amount. Normally the odd sizes are because of suppliers, Brembo uses 9 and 11, Sachs uses 16 and 18, I've found odd sizes on windshield wiper motors, power steering racks, really anything that isn't in house

Harbor Freight is actually quite accurate. Google some reviews if you're rightfully sceptical.

They fixed that by importing sex slaves from SEA.

I buy both. Never know when your buddy is gonna break down and you have to rescue him
Why not get both? Be a handy guy. Give a guy a handy. Nah we ain't about that

7/16~10mm
1/2~12mm
Just don't use them on important shit (12 point ford driveshaft bolts)

Motherfucker do you even wrench? 7/16 and 11 are virtually identical. 13mm will work on 1/2 shit but socket is noticeably loose. There is no real substitute for a 10 or 12 mm.

In terms of socket fitment

5/16 = 8
7/16 = 11
1/2 = 13
3/4 = 19
15/16 = 24

>muh creeper

>opened a line of credit on snap on for muh credit report

>have a score of 784 but can't get a loan without more lines of credit

9/16 is essentially 14mm

You've mentioned before doing CAN bus work I believe. Are there any special tools used?

I know there's that recommended tool brand guide for Americans, but what about in the UK? What brands should I buy for which tools? What are the essentials?

>4 pairs of shears but no propane torch
Ok

A dvom and access to multiplexing software is all that's needed when we run into this on trucks. You have literally 5 or 6 different systems from different manufacturers all communicating over the same data link on j1939.

For example on a Kenworth T680 you'll have a :

>Cummins engine
>Eaton transmission
>Bendix ABS system
>Continental aftertreatment system
>Kenworth chassis

As you can imagine there are configuration errors from time to time especially when one of the ecus is updated to newer software.

Don't really understand why they don't mark new wrenches and sockets with dual measurements

Because it's not the same. Might be fine for a home mechanic but no good for professionals. Half inch is 12.7mm

Because this just flat out does not work.

Don't give a fuck a out SAE vs metric (I mostly use SAE) but it's sure is fucking infuriating when you run into something that uses both.

>a out
About. Fucking phone

literally never had a single problem with stripping the any bolt heads ever

the tolerances are minuscule

Kek. That's like the one of our fleet mechanics. He went through some shit with his credit a few years back and he has this really nice Snap-On cart/box that he only bought to help build his credit. He used lots of Craftsman and cheaper stuff for everything else but this box has low monthly payments forever so it's an easy way to help with the credit score.

...or maybe that was just his excuse to spend $10k on a nice tool box

Yeah, a picoscope and a Kvaser Memorator. Normally if it goes far enough to use the memorator you would send the readings to engineering for them to dig into them. You can get a lot of info from just a multimeter though

Some modern luxury cars have 80-90 modules

This.

Which is better, hammer or circlip pliers?

Becuase they want you to buy both sets user

Metric I'm Canadian working on German cars so go figure it's all metric, I prefer Snap-on, Mac and Matco some Canadian tire stuff and Princess auto cheapie tools are nice if you don't wanna bring out the nice chrome. It's all the same shit really

Wut are these drill bits for?

That's not hard but metric is just easier

stone

Those are for concrete. You need a Rotohammer preferably, or a hammer drill.

Putting holes in stuff.

The tolerance are up too 0.250 mm
Depending the quality of the tools and bolt you have it could be bigger and cause issue

That's what I was thinking. Cement or whatever. It's strange because they aren't sharp like regular wood and metal bits.

I'm finally checking out some of this shit I got like a year ago since the garage in this new house is becoming my man cave. I have so many damn drill and driver bits now. There is this Craftsman driver set that had to be quite a few years old but looks really high quality.

The Craftsman kit is in the black box, they all have "USA" on them and are almost a bronze color.

And one more thing, what are these for? It's like a 1/4" hex driver but really shallow and I think there's a magnet in there. Too shallow to hold any bits.

Nigger this chart clearly contradicts your other garbage ass chart claiming that 3/8 and 10mm are interchangeable and 9/16 is interchangeable with 14mm

For hex head screws, like the self tapping ones you would use on sheet metal, or concrete anchors.

>It's strange because they aren't sharp like regular wood and metal bits.
Quite a different kind of drilling action, drilling wood/metal you're shaving bits off versus drilling stone when you're basically just grinding a hole in it

Ok, makes sense. He did HVAC and all the panels and ducts always have a million of those 1/4" screws so I see why there would be two of them in one of the well used boxes. Still strange that they are so shallow, but the heads on those screws are pretty thin too.

Interesting point.