Veeky Forums Breaking News(sort off)

Link: mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN11R1XP

>Apple Inc has approached British Formula One team owner McLaren Technology Group for a strategic investment or a potential buyout, the Financial Times reported, citing sources.

Discus Veeky Forums, what do you think Apples end game is? You think Mclaren will pull the plug? Affordable Apple/Mclaren electric self driving cars incoming? Should tesla be on suicide watch? Should Apple know their about to get BTFO?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/09/22/technology/apple-is-said-to-hold-talks-with-mclaren-and-lit-motors.html
topgear.com/car-news/supercars/mclaren-were-not-talks-apple-over-investment
youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not even worth 2 billion, that's ridiculous

>Apple unveils self-driving car that looks like a Lamborghini, performs like a Corolla, and costs as much as a McLaren

Lol Apple has been burning money behind its vehicle division lately. It's so bad that their Phone and Computer divisions are suffering. Their stocks were showing it a month or so ago

This.

They want more auto execs who know how auto industry works. They also need a fall guy/company for when the inevitable recalls start happening.

>be a successful technology company
>want to get involved in the automotive industry

Literally, suicide.

So should tesla be worried? I'm OP by the way, just pre-testing a thread like this to see if Veeky Forums would benefit from a car news thread.

>was successful
They're trying to branch out since Apple stocks are starting to flat line

McLaren is a very low volume manufacturer, not the type of car maker they should be looking at

>see if Veeky Forums would benefit from a car news thread

Probably not. Veeky Forums is generally full of autistic manchildren who want to yell about how much they hate cars. Plan on at least 60-80% of your threads derailing into bitter arguing about LS1's or Miatas.

I feel like it's either going to be a massive success pushed along by brand whores squirming to make a day 1 iCar purchase, or a total, utter flop. I don't foresee them being "moderately successful" and landing somewhere in the middle.

Apple and other companies are betting on self driving. Tesla is all in on electic. Tesla has their own business model to worry about.

Why not both?

Then close a deal with toyota or something
We all know british cars are not reliable, and McLaren is more of a spots luxury brand, not a commuter brand

>LS swapping a Miata
Whoever did that has a bunch of cash to burn
I can't see Toyota letting Apple cut into a market itself would want a large piece of. Take for example the 86. Subaru is willing to manufacture an STI version, but Toyota does not want them to do so. I feel they believe it will cut into their Lexus profits.

My hope is that Veeky Forums would appreciate the thread a little. I don't mind shitposting but I do know the majority of Lurkers would like it and or people who pop into Veeky Forums every now or then

Suicide watch alert!!

Fucking beat me to it.

nytimes.com/2016/09/22/technology/apple-is-said-to-hold-talks-with-mclaren-and-lit-motors.html

A Tesla purchase would make more sense given their battery and power grid projects and greater ability to ship cars but it's a much bigger buy.

McLaren has always provided engineering consultant work in the energy sector. Its nothing new. Their car and racing side is just a pet project and represents less than 20% of their revenue.

McLaren and their energy and materials department is like Porsche and their financial/hedge fund department or Ferrari and their clothing and branding dept. The cars are an infinitesimal part of what allows them to exist.

You don't understand what McLaren is. Cars aren't the important part of McLaren. Look at their product output and take note of where most of their money is made.

kind of like koenigsegg. The money brought in from cars is nothing compared to licensing the flex fuel sensor patent.

much more than 2 billion, actually

but that story is a complete bullshit. mclaren already reacted

>"We can confirm McLaren is not in discussion with Apple in respect of any potential investment."

Lol, OP again, I previously posted that I'm considering doing this everyday or maybe bi weekly. Instead of one article I'd like to list off 10-15 which are open to discussing for us Veeky Forumstards. I don't plan of tripfagging either so if tomorrow no "Veeky Forums breaking news thread" is up you have all rights to take over user

>Affordable
>Apple

Tesla is about to tank they literally just got a bank to finally find their cash burning company

They just got a contract with Los Angeles to build an 80MWh battery for their power gridb and they have a lot of long term projects like their gigafactory that will give them a competitive advantage over GM who has to import batteries from LG Chem.

There are some risks but Apple has like $200 billion in cash right now. With that money they could take over the American auto industry.

S-s-so the \o\ meme is finally true?
>gm simply can't compete

You've never bought an apple product? Lol wat I bought the IPhone 5 for 299$ when it first came out under a 2 year contract deal with Verizon

Didn't say that, but Gigafactory 1 will be able to produce more li-ion batteries in a year than were produced worldwide in 2013 when complete.

GM will still have their superior assembly line experience, a network of dealers, lobbyists and advertising partners.

/g/ here. You are a retard for buying Apple.

He's a troll, ignore him.

Not everyone wants to tinker with their phone. Some people want a reliable phone with excellent customer service and highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry.

topgear.com/car-news/supercars/mclaren-were-not-talks-apple-over-investment

He's an idiot, /g/ is one of my main boards and iPhones consistently have the fastest processors and fastest NAND. I don't use them but they're not shit.

It's exactly the kind of car maker Apple should be looking at.

APPLE OWNED

FUCKING DROPPED FOREVER

can't wait to watch both companies go down the shitter.

Naw man, it's all you, knock yourself out, I'm too busy being high off my dick right now lol.

I'm talking about price/performance you dumb fucks.
Apple products are for people that value form over function. I guess even Veeky Forums knows how fucking retarded this concept is when talking about tech.

>highest customer satisfaction
Top fucking kek, what a fucking moron.

>Apple literally bricks your phone if someone tries to fix it
>Apple literally makes you drive to the next Apple store to get your phone fixed, no matter how far you need to travel
>Apple literally destroys good, fixable hardware just because of their absolute incompetence
>Apple is literally unable to fix easy problems with their hardware for multiple generations
>Apple literally prevents people from helping each other online, if the phone needs fixing
Reply with anything else but "take it to the Apple store" and you will get a free ban on the Apple forums.

Apple is fucking cancer. Saying that Apple has good customer support and satisfaction just shows you ignorance.

>for people that value form over function

>everything just werks is a selling point

ur pants on head retarded

>implying everything just works
I might be retarded, but at least my IQ is above average you fucking moron.

Also you misunderstood. Im saying you pay extra just because its a Apple product that looks a certain way. I wasn't implying that the software or hardware are not functional.

But the way it functions is the main selling point

So what? This doesn't counter any of my arguments so far.
Btw. feel free to reply to , I would really love to hear a mindless Apple fanatics opinion on this topic.

>phones were getting smaller
>now they're getting bigger
>now apple releases a phone the size of a textbook with no headphone jack
Apple plunging in value when?
They've jumped the shark

>laptop bricks
>take it in to Apple store in or out of warranty
>they won't work on it without the original HDD installed
>they replace the HDD and refuse to give you back the old one, so you can't even try to recover files.
OSX, screens that don't die, and unibody cases are the only things I'd keep when scrapping that shit company

>I'm talking about price/performance you dumb fucks.
There is no phone on the market faster than an iPhone 7 and the MSRP is $649, which is the same as high-end phones from Samsung and other Android manufacturers.

You're a dipshit user, the iPhone 7's completely outclasses every Android phone on the market in terms of performance. It's not for me because I prefer Android and Android Auto, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Your price/performance argument is idiotic and demonstrates that you do not know what you're talking about.

> Im saying you pay extra just because its a Apple product that looks a certain way.

And I'm saying it's incorrect

>the new standard is the1%
Can you not into logic or are you just uneducated?

Apple made more than one product that was okay price/performance wise, but this is the 1%. 99% of the products they make are garbage price/performance wise. Especially their Laptops.

Seems like YOU don't know what you are talking about.

So you are telling me that the Apple logo on the device is not part of the premium price?

Then please explain me how Apple manages to sell 1000$ computer parts for 2000$ if its not about the brand name and looks of the product.

He was talking about iPhones you faggot, maybe next year you'll have an Android phone that's as fast as the iPhone 7.

As to laptops, you can stick to your chinkpad running Windows 10 with superfish installed, no one gives a fuck how much faster you think it is.

This is Veeky Forums. The topic is Apple. We were talking about Apple PRODUCTS from the start and I was only talking about Apple PRODUCTS.

If you want to cherrypick, do it. But be aware that most Apple phones weren't better price/perf. wise than their laptops.

I can understand the frustration of a salty Apple fanatic that cant counter any arguments because hes wrong, but how about you do us all a favor and kys?

>I can understand the frustration of a salty Apple fanatic
I'm not an Apple fanatic, I own an Xperia Z3 compact. I'm just pointing out that you're a dipshit trying to speak from authority, when objectively the iPhone 7 is the fastest phone on the market, just as the iPhone 6s was at launch... and the iPhone 6... and iPhone 5s

Qualcomm still hasn't made a decent ARMv8 SoC and it doesn't look like they will anytime soon.

Good Night Sweet Prince.
youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

Great, you totally missed the point.
How about you google what price/performance means you fucking idiot.
I dont care if the Iphone 7 is the fastest phone on the market. It could be 1000 times faster than the old one and I still would not care.
What I DO care about is paying a reasonable price for the device. Meaning if device x has a score of 100 and device y has a score of 200 then I don't want to pay 50000000% more for device 2 you fucking retard. (this is obviously only an example, but I though I'd add this disclaimer due to the fact that Im dealing with a complete moron here)

Now, back to the topic:
If apple has shitty customer support () and a shitty, locked down ecosystem then how can you say it is GOOD when their devices ON TOP OF ALL THIS have a worse price/performance ratio than a lot of competitor products, you fucking retard?

And again, in case you didnt get it the first 5 times:
>hurr durr the Apple [devicename] has a pretty decent price/performance
Yeah, a few of their products do. The majority doesnt.

>Meaning if device x has a score of 100 and device y has a score of 200 then I don't want to pay 50000000% more for device 2 you fucking retard
Except the newest phones from Samsung, LG, etc are all priced the same as the iPhone

You can't provide anything other than hypothetical because you're a dipshit that hates on Apple because OMG NORMIES REEEEEE

Kek who is this apple shill?
Apple has the most retarded consumer base ever. They could sell literal dogshit and they would eat it up.

You still dont understand what fucking price/performance means, right?
Fucking google it for 1 minute before replying with another uneducated comment you massive fucking retard.

>Then please explain me how Apple manages to sell 1000$ computer parts for 2000$ if its not about the brand name and looks of the product.

Could it perhaps be because it's actually a superior product in terms of usability, design, and function?

Apple is LITERALLY the only company still using 16:10 displays in laptops. That alone is worth any premium.

>usability
Completely locked due to Apples walled garden bullshit so it is less usable than a normal laptop with cracked OSX on it.
>design
Thats what I meant by "looks" and by "form" in "form over function"
>function
How is a macbook better in terms of "function" than a laptop if both have the same hardware?

None of your arguments are convincing.

>16:10
And this justifies paying an extra premium price even for Apple products that don't have a 16:10 ratio, right?

Hint: It fucking doesn't.

>Completely locked due to Apples walled garden bullshit so it is less usable than a normal laptop with cracked OSX on it.
OS X isn't any more locked down than windows 10 :^)

>Thats what I meant by "looks" and by "form" in "form over function"
I mean the physical layout and the features included in the laptop, not the Braun influenced minimalist style that I honestly really like.

>than a laptop if both have the same hardware?
Same hardware kek
There is literally no laptop with a trackpad as good as a macbook. All windows laptops seem to use a hybrid of buttons and gestures that wastes space, and confuse the user, instead of fully relying on gestures

>OSX isnt any more locked down than windows
Im talking about hard and software locks. Also thats not an argument for Apple as long as Linux exists.

>physical layout and features
Are you implying that a Macbook has more features than a normal Laptop? Because it is quite the opposite. Same for their PC version and their Phones (most of the time)
Also I have never seen a person paying way more just because he likes the keyboard layout for example (which is not even special, hell even worse than a lot of other layouts)
I'd accept this argument for thinkpads though.

>Literally no laptop with a trackpad as good as a macbook
Im working at a hardware refurbish store (or whatever you call it in english) and trust me: You have LITERALLY no fucking idea of what you are talking about.

Also what is a "Windows Laptop" you fucking Applefag?

actually jalopnik as mclaren directly:
>WE ARE NOT IN TALKS WITH APPLE

>Galaxy Note 7 MSRP $850
>iPhone 7+ MSRP $750
>iPhone 7+ is 2x as fast
>Galaxy Note 7 explodes in pockets
Yeah, how bout that price/performance ratio

>or whatever you call it in english
>3rd world beaner or sandnigger talking shit about a brand he can't afford
why am I not surprised. Let me guess, you had BMW too?

You do know that besides the faux tactile response vibrator in the trackpad, its all software, and because of it, you can make any trackpad behave the same, the reason people usually dont is because Windows before 8 didnt have gesture bullshit, but most OEMs are now including them if you want to use them
Though Ill give you that Windows does not have the consistent gesture input though out its version, since from Vista (where gestures started to get introduced) to 7, to 8 and now 10, each version of windows had totally different gesture inputs than the other, while OSX tries to keep the same though out versions and similar to iOS

Looks are subjective, if you like the minimalist look, more power to ya

OSX can be installed in any computer now that apple switched from power PC to X86 if you really want it/need it
If you want go full /g/ linux exists and its way less locked down than anything you can come up

>comparing a note with an iPhone
the note does not compete with the iPhone, the Regular S7 does, the note is more expensive, as every single note was because of the wacon digitizer

The only apple product kinda in the same segment as the note series was the 6s+, tough it didnt have a stylus