Help buying first car

Alright Veeky Forums, I'm buying my first car and could use a little advice. I'll preface this by saying that while I know how to change most fluids and jump start a dead battery, I don't really know a whole lot about cars. I've also recently moved half way across the country and don't have a mechanic or any friends or family who know their way around an engine either. Because of this, I am very hesitant to buy used.

The majority of vehicles owned by people I know are Hondas, and no one ever seems to have any real issues with them. So Honda was my obvious pick for my first car. I was originally looking at the Fit becasue I wanted something cheap, fuel efficient, and was a little more roomy. I don't make a lot of money, and in my new city I now NEED a vehicle, so overall price, fuel economy, and reliability are my primary focuses. I do like to go camping and do outdoorsy stuff that generally means not driving on paved roads though, so carrying capacity and the ability to handle poor weather/roads are also things I would like.

The CRV immediately popped out as something that might suit my needs perfectly, but it is slightly out of my price range (20,000). Then there is the HRV, which seems like a CRV-lite. It's closer to my budget, but it seems like I'm losing out on a LOT of performance.

The main reason for this thread is that I'm looking for advice on what other options I might have. I'm really unfamiliar with most other manufactures and am having trouble wading through the myriad of options available to me; it's all a little overwhelming. I also have a busy work schedule and no transport of my own right now, so I'd like to really narrow down my options before I stat visiting dealerships. Any haggling or other first time buyer tips are also welcome.

Alright, first off you don't have to be afraid of buying a used car, as long as it has a proper service history.
This also opens up many more possibilities than buying new.

How about Volvo's XC models/trims? Some are SUVs, others are slightly lifted sedans/wagons with additional plastic bits to make it look more rugged.

Subaru also makes pretty good outdoorsy cars, things like the Crosstrek and Forester have a bit more ground clearance than most cars (and even crossovers).

The Subarus all seem to be at the same price point of the CRV, but require me to o up a trim level for an automatic, and Volvo is WAY out of my price range. I understand that my options in SUVs and Crossovers is very limited at the 20 thousand point, and that buying used sorta becomes my only option if that's what I really want.

What do you mean by "proper service history"? Call me a cheap bastard, but baring any major accidents, I plan to keep whatever I buy for the next 10 year, so I guess my thinking is it's better to buy new than something that has several years of wear on it that is going to take away from the lifespan and increase maintenance for me down the road.

A proper service history just means proof that the car has been serviced at regular intervals, and all the parts that needed replacing have been replaced.

Of course, a new car will come with a warranty and all that, but a properly maintained used car of a few years old can still run perfectly fine for many years.

Just keep in mind that while the initial purchase price of a car will drop, but service costs don't really. Look up normal running costs for cars you're looking at online, on forums for instance. Those are also a great place to find things to watch out for, which engines to avoid, etc.

The for is th only Honda I'd but rn. If you like the fit you should seriously check out both kia and hyundai

I've talked to a guy who owned one and he said he loves it. He's a bigger guy too and said he had plenty of leg and head room. That's what originally drew me to it. I'm just worried about how it might preform after I load it down and try to take it up a mountain or on a poorly graded road out in the woods. A buddy of mine has a Ford Fusion and that thing HATES dirt roads.

I was really hoping someone here might have experience with the HRV, since it LOOKS like will do everything I want, but it's still a relativity new vehicle and there are not a lot of comprehensive reviews that I can find for it. Most places say it's overall nice, but lacking in performance.

Most of the Jeep owners I know are stereotypical bros with lift kits and upsidedown "flip me over if you can read this" stickers on their Wanglers, so I'm hesitant to ask them, but how is the Patriot? The sticker price is almost too good to be true and them get decent mileage. I've always thought of Jeeps being rather high maintenance though, is that true?

I see the Nissan Rogue come up on a lot of "Best" lists, but I will admit I know nothing about Nissan. And while the Rogue is kinda cringe looking, the price isn't too bad.

Also, it seems like everything I'm looking at is FWD. I'm from the east coast and I'm used to bad weather, and I've always been told that FWD is pretty crap for anything other than small city cars. AWD is always an option, but it costs more and cuts into fuel economy. Is FWD being bad just a meme or is there anything to it? I've never driven a FWD vehicle before.

>first car
>want a honda

buy a civic

>I can't read, the post

>tl;dr the post

Most of Veeky Forums will say you should never buy new because it's full of broke ass bus riders. If you're handy obviously buying used is not a bad idea but with a new car you'll have a bumper to bumper warranty and better financing options available as banks see new cars as being a lower risk piece of collateral. Not sure how Honda's financing arm is but many of the manufacturing finance companies will sell you the car with 0% APR and no down payment if you've got good credit.

I have 10 thousand put aside right now. I figure even if there is no down payment required, paying off half the price will get me a nice low monthly payment.

I bought the HR-V as my first non used car and I absolutely love it. First car for me with ac, I got the ex trim, so it has the moon roof, which has been a blessing and a curse so far in Southern California. But I am betting it will pay off after summer.

I also got the manual version as well, no dealers here had the Fit or Civic in manual at the time I was buying.

Storage capacity in it has been tremendous for me, coming from a single cab 1996 Nissan Hard body. Still have that truck, btw. The power on it is kind of weak, but you can really push it with the manual and it sounds fun, maneuvers great, but the tires are not sticky at all.

Fuel economy all depends on how you drive it, on a flat stretch of road managed to get 39.5 mpg keeping it below 1500. Another time I got 14 mpg pretending to be speed racer.

Rear visibility is okay, you need to use the backup camera even if you turn your entire body to look out the back. The magic seats have come in handy for me as an IT tech.

Let me know of you got any other questions. Final thoughts, it's a good commuter car, haven't taken it off road yet, that is happening in October.

i wont say dont by new because i'm not a busrider
and i'm not most of Veeky Forums

but i will tell you if you buy new you're be as well taking 15 to 20% of the cost and just flushing down the loo.thats depreciation. then you can take another 25% and set fire to it, thats the intrest on the payments.

so , hey if you enjoy wasting money or you have so much of the stuff lying around you just dont give a fuck, then by all means by new,

warranties?
ever tried to get ANYTHING repaired under warranty?
it's like getting blood from a stone. or on the odd occasion they decide that yes in fact the parts were faulty and it is a warranty repair they roll out the spotty retard they call an apprentice and let him have a couple of hours actually touching tools and parts, on your car.

0% credit?
ORLY?
whats in it for the salesman? theres no credit company commission here, oh thats right, he added that cost onto the "honest mate i cant go any lower" artificially inflated "rock bottom , i'm cutting my throat here" price tag

Some of us will tell you to buy used so you don't have to eat an automatic ~20% depreciation in value.

tl:dr?

only a busrider would tell you to buy a new car

Wanted to add, I have a 743 credit score and grandparents cosigned and they have 800+. The best finance loan we found was from a credit union at 1.47%. Honda didn't even try to bother beating that. My insurance also went up from 35$ liability to 116$ full coverage.

The credit union requires this, so keep that in mind for your budget.

Honda is also going to try to push out the 2016 models soon with the updated 2017. Also the dealer I went to have 3 manuals that had all been sitting on the lot for 200+ days. They were very willing to negotiate price and I got thousands of dollars with just being consistent on what I wanted to pay.

>well taking 15 to 20% of the cost and just flushing down the loo.thats depreciation
But you get a brand new vehicle with the newest features and a bumper to bumper warranty
>then you can take another 25% and set fire to it, thats the intrest on the payments.
you've got to be a real nigger to be paying 25% interest on a new car, that's beyond sub-prime you fuckin dipshit. You didn't even read my post because manufacturers will often give 0% financing if you've got good credit.
>whats in it for the salesman? theres no credit company commission here
Learn to negotiate you thick fuck or stop living in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with only 1 dealer. They're also way more willing to deal if it's the end of the model year.

>My insurance also went up from 35$ liability to 116$ full coverage.
No shit, why would you not carry collision / comprehensive on a brand new car? Do you really want to risk a $20-30k purchase by only carrying liability?

Not carrying collision is something you should only do on a car that is worth less than $10k

>a bumper to bumper warranty
not worth the fucking paper it is written on EVER
>a real nigger to be paying 25% interest
accumulative, retard. you really think 15% intrest is only 15% fucking per cent after FIVE FUCKING YEARS? LEARN TO INTEREST CUNT
> willing to deal if it's the end of the MONTH and he cant feed his family

you have NEVER bought a brand new car, so stop with
A : the bullshit
&
B: the fuckin insults, or don't but if you really want to learn some new interesting ones keep it up wankstain

How much do you make a month? How much cash do actually have to put down? Do you know your credit score?

>15% intrest
That's still not even close to the prime rate you complete fucking idiot. Go ahead and throw insults, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I bought my current car brand new and it has less than 1500 miles on it.

>I bought my current car brand new and it has less than 1500 miles on it.

WOW

i once bought 12 in the same fucking morning and put around 2000 miles on each fucking one PER WEEK.

WHAT THE FUCK HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH ANYFUCKINGTHING YOU RETARDED SPUNKBAG?

you're just trying to justify being fucked up the arse on a new car BECAUSE YOU DIDNT KNOW BETTER so stop fluttering your pishflaps

I'd be getting an automatic. From what I've read, modern CVTs seem to be just as good if not better than manuals now. I live in Dallas now, so most of my driving would be highway probably, but I plan on taking a few semi-cross country trips in the next few years.

It's looking more and more like a showdown between the HRV and Fit. I guess my next step is to go out and actually get my hands on them and test drive them and see which one I like more.

I'm hoping that with the 2017 cars starting to roll out I'll be able to get a better deal on a '16, since I doubt there will be any major changes for either the Fit or HRV.

Any good tips for a first time buyer? I already know not to buy on my first visit and to shop around and get everything in writing.

>you've never bought a new car
>oh you have bought a new car? well that makes you stupid!
>you're just trying to justify being fucked up the arse on a new car BECAUSE YOU DIDNT KNOW BETTER
Actually no, YOU are just trying to justify being poor which is why you're worried about losing 15-20% in depreciation. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought my new car and I would do it all over again.

I recently bought my first car, a gently used 2015 Honda Accord and financed a loan of around $25k with an interest rate of 7%

Interest really sucks. My monthly payments are $480 a month, ~$130 of which is interest. Do whatever you can to get a low rate, look at credit unions or banks. I can't imagine people having to pay double what I am in interest, make sure you're aware of what your monthly payments will be and that it's something within your means.

I make around 1300 a month after taxes. After I pay my bills, I'm left with about 450 to feed myself and do whatever I want with. Obviously I'm going to be losing most of that 450 once I have to pay for insurance and the actual car payment, but I have 10 thousand in hand and ready to go so I'm hoping my payment should be pretty low. No idea what my credit score is, probably meh since I always pay my card off in full and on time.

Your credit must suck. I got 3% on a 2005 Subaru.

>I make around 1300 a month after taxes
Don't buy new if that's all you're making, it's outside your means. I was okay with you getting new before this but that's just not a good idea.

>My monthly payments are $480 a month, ~$130 of which is interest
That's not right, if you financed $25k over 60 months it would be $416 per month with 0% APR

My credit score is 750, but since this is my first car I didn't have any credit history. I also didn't have anyone cosign my loan so I'm paying more in interest in exchange for building credit faster.

I'll be refinancing in a year to get a better rate.

>financing 25k on an accord
What kind of tiny ass down payment did you have? Should've put down 10k.

Shut up and buy a civic for 3k. Get a credit card if you don't have one to pay for repairs. You'll be better off in 5 years time. Put the remaining 7k in some kind of high yield account or invest it.

>My credit score is 750, but since this is my first car I didn't have any credit history. I also didn't have anyone cosign my loan so I'm paying more in interest in exchange for building credit faster.
>I'll be refinancing in a year to get a better rate.

This is someone who has no idea how credit works.

This, paying a higher interest rate doesn't help your credit in any way and if you have a credit score of 750 it means you have some sort of credit history, even if it's just a credit card you've paid off for years

ok, when i bought new cars there was a very valid reason on doing so. they were business vehicles. these cars did on average 100K miles per annum. they were on the road 24 hours a day every day whenever possible. to be frank i cant be arsed going into the whole business plan and why i could retire at 45.
i've no fear of losing money, i'll take risks on ventures others would shy away from. BUT i do not see the sense on throwing good money away to depreciation nor interest rates set by credit companies.
i also knew exactly what i was geting into when buying new cars,and i know that you have now tied yourself to the same car for 3,4 or 5 years. you'll expect every nut and bolt replaced under warranty and you'll have a hissy fit if that does not happen(i'll be here to gloat and say "i told you so") you'll then try to sell the car AS SOON as that last payment is made and you'll expect the highest possible resale value regardless that yours is now a piece of shit no one wants.
you're only option now is to trade the fucker in,part exchange it for a new weight to tie around your neck for the following 3,4 or 5 years, and you do this happily, telling yoyrself you're a better person because you buy new cars and not secondhand.

meanwhile i stick to a fixed budget for a vehicle and once it overspends it get sent to be crushed/recycled. for every 2 months payment you make on that monkey on your shoulder i can buy another pile of shite and not give a flying fuck if i fry the engine of kill the gearbox, theres always another piece of shite for sale.

in the past 4 years i've owned amongst others Mercedes,Audi,Jaguar,BMW i even had a Beauford ffs, meanwhile someone like you has had ONE car, ONE.

nah mate, you dont go to the buffet and only have one cut of meat.

Don't buy a new car
It's financial suicide

Seriously DON'T buy a new car
It's financial suicide!!!!

Just google "don't buy new cars" and you will find 500 articles explaining exactly why. Or don't listen and end up debt poor like all the other wage slaves.

I don't know the exact figures, I guess my numbers are a little off for the interest. I'll have to check my statement.

If I had that money laying around I would have.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I meant I could have had someone cosign my loan to get a lower interest rate, however I wouldn't be building credit history in the same way I would be getting a loan on my own. The interest rate wasn't the point I was making, the cosigning was. Am I wrong on this?

>Mercedes,Audi,Jaguar,BMW
No one gives a fuck that you owned 15-20 year old German / British luxury cars that only niggers would drive now

>meanwhile someone like you has had ONE car, ONE.
Yeah, I only need 1 car. I'm not some white trash idiot who keeps a bunch of cars parked on his lawn.

I can't believe you wasted your time typing all that shit out, I didn't even read most of it because frankly I don't give a fuck. Why am I not surprised that a tripfag would be this annoying? filtered

>taking out a loan to buy a car
Fuck dude take personal finance 101

>I meant I could have had someone cosign my loan to get a lower interest rate, however I wouldn't be building credit history in the same way
Ah, I see what you're getting at. Honestly going without a cosignor is better anyway because you shouldn't be getting someone else on the hook for your own purchases. But yes, not having a co-signor will do more for your credit than if you had one and you pay it all off because you were the only one on the hook and took care of the responsibility entirely.

>a tripfag would be this annoying? filtered

busrider for "i can't win this argument so i'll just ignore everything he posts from now on regardless of how helpful some of his posts actually are"

aye well.

Not everyone wants to buy a 10 year old shitbox

not every ten year ld car is a shitbox

OP wants more money in his pocket.

Never ridden a bus in my life, I'm white and have a professional degree.

I was kidding about filtering you trip, I just don't see why you need a trip and I haven't found your posts particularly helpful. Still glad you're here to make me smile with your 4 aged german cars :^)

I have no plans of getting into any sort of debt whatsoever. If I really wanted to I could buy the CRV outright with cash, I have the money. I don't want to do that though. I have allotted 10 thousand for as the down payment on my first vehicle and I want to get the most out of it. If a 15 thousand dollar car does everything I want, why should I buy a 25 thousand one?

I have other projects I would like to put my money towards, so I'm not going to spend more than I have to. With 0% APR I'm confident in my ability to pay off 10-12 thousand without paying a penny of interest.

So buy that 3k civic and put the remainder towards your project.

>I haven't found your posts particularly helpful
lurkmoar newfreind,lurkmoar

A Civic does not meet my requirements, especially one that will cost 3k. If all I wanted was something to get me around town then I would.

I don't want to hijack your thread, OP, but I'm looking to buy a car also. I'm dead set on a GTI because I can't find anything else I like but here's where I'm unsure of what to do. Should I get a 2012 GTI 45000 km for 20 grand, or a brand new 2017 baseline golf for the same price? I imagine the GTI drives nicer, but I'm undecided. I don't want to buy a 2017 golf only to wish I got the GTI.

I'd honestly love to buy an R32 and fix it up, but I want something that's ready to drive.

What does a shitty hrv do better than a civic?

>my requirements,
What are they

While a Civic more than meets price and fuel economy requirements, it fails complete and utterly in it's ability to carry anything other than people. I've taken several road trips in a Civic and I find them to be cramped, especially after you try loading them with anything. There is a reason why I call on friends who own trucks and SUVs if I need help moving something as well.

I have nothing against the Civic, I think they are great cars. But I just don't think they fit my lifestyle.

Hey OP, sorry for the late reply. If you are set on the automatic then I can't really decide between the two. I did see your monthly income is about 1300 dollars a month and I would greatly advise you to not get a new car.

If you are dead set on buying new, then my only advice for the car dealership part is just walk away if you aren't happy about the price, they are the ones who suffer, not you. Also do not sign up for anything extra, no Honda Care Assitance, no extended warranty, nothing. You get 2 years of bumper to bumper for free.

Now, here is my opinion on what you should do. Get something used, an older RAV4 or an older CRV, plan on only putting down 2k$ down for anything and shove about 5k$ into a ROTH IRA. I know that is investing advice and not for this board, but that's what I would do.

Good luck OP! Be patient, don't rush this purchase as it is a big one!

Then get a new fit with a manual transmission. The cvt is shit. The hrv is just a worse, lifted fit.

I've only driven the 2015 GTI and it's fun but it's got significantly more torque than the 2012 model by the looks of it. I haven't driven the regular golf but I did drive a Jetta sport before 1.8L and it felt like shit by comparison to the GTI. Obviously though the GTI is higher end.

Yeah the CRV is a lot more practical if you're ever going to have multiple passengers or any sort of load.

FWD absolutely dominates in 2WD rally classes, so in low-traction situations FWD tends to be better than RWD. AWD/4WD is king, of course.

Yeah I think I'll get the GTI. My budgets 20 grand and I can only find a 2012 for that much. Thanks a lot.

That 20k would be better spent on the newest nicest Mustang gt you could find.

Where do you live? In my area a 2012 GTI autobahn can be had for like $17k, $15k for the lower trims

I'll get called a pleb for this, but I'm not a fan of muscle cars and American cars.

Ontario. Cheapest I found was $18,000.

Ah, that's why. You're in Canadian prices.