Hey Veeky Forums, need some advice or input

Hey Veeky Forums, need some advice or input.
My torque converter is shuddering. I checked the fluid and while its not burnt or black, is it pretty dark for fluid with 8000 miles on it. Tomorrow I am going to replace it, three times. I don't have a flushing machine, but i figure three times should do it. If that doesn't fix it, is there any additives that work or you would recommend? I used a bottle of transx and while it did make a massive improvement in general shifting, the torque converter still shudders and jerks. Do they make anything specifically for the torque converter?
Among additives in general what do you recommend for both transmission, engine etc.
I want to get the most out of my engine. My grandpa swears by stp and marvel mystery oil.

bump?

Uh transmission fluid is supposed to be good for 100k miles. A transmission can take around 18 quarts so it'd be expensive you "flush" it 3 times

transmission lifespan depends on what the vehicle is used for. i was a mechanic for many years, one of my Toyota cars that i bag on and shift past 7000rpm i usually drain the trans pan yearly and refill it. if you have a truck that tows alot and such, it needs to be changed alot sooner than grandmas Cadillac that doesnt go past 2000rpm

theres nothing really specially made for the torque converter, if you want to try changing the fluid, drain the pan and refill the trans then drive for a day then drain it again and repeat. you should not need additives for the motor or transmission, atf has detergents in it already and motor oil has all it needs as well.

>WAS a mechanic

Good thing they fired you for incompetence

which part is incompetent? i chose to quit out of hating the job after doing it for enough years and dealing with customers. i did my share of transmission work, i did probably a good 20 late 90s Explorer transmissions. can do them with my eyes closed

From the looks of it, I could remove the line that goes to the radiator and dump it in a bucket while feeding some more, so i wont have to drain and fill over and over. Hard part is finding out how much it takes total, the manual only lists flush and fill.

>Shuddering torque convertor
Do a trans flush. No, you don't need a flushing machine. You just need 3/4 hose and a lot of trans fluid. Or if you have a trans cooler that's an option. Disconnect cooler lines - one into a bucket for old fluid and the return line shoved in a jug of new fluid.

Just be extremely quick. It'll suck a gallon jug dry extremely quickly. Have a second hand around if need be.

I flushed my 4l60e in my driveway.

Add Lucas trans oil to new fluid. I've had great results with it.

Yeah I think I'm gonna need more fluid. The mechanic said the book called for 16 quarts.
Im putting some nicer stuff in it. 17 bucks a gallon.

Should've mentioned

Hose method
>Cut hose to fit into the hole where the filter goes
>Run hose to door
>Jam funnel into the hose
>Suspend the funnel
>Fill tube with fresh fluid
>Start the vehicle and pour fresh fluid into the funnel - don't let it run dry!
>Do this till the fluid gushing out looks like what's going in

Coolant line method
>Disconnect lines
>Line in to a big bucket
>Return line in a fresh jug
>Start vehicle - don't let it run dry!

It was easier for me to do the first method. The latter required tearing the entire frontend apart.

It's better than buying a new transmission mate.

I add Lucas to all my transmission changes now. It fixed the hard shifting in my sister Buick and it's now at 270k. Fixed the hard shifting and slipping on my 4l60e.

Fixed the shuddering on my friends v6 rustang, however the transmission died like 5k miles later. He was extremely hard on that car.

I tried it with my geo which had really bad slippage, didnt seem to help but than again i never flushed it. I'm 99% certain the last lube place i took the car too when i bought it, just did a drain and fill instead of a flush which they charged me for.

So the return line is the one I dump new fluid in?

Flushing a transmission is literally one of the worst things you can possibly do. There's a reason that most big reputable shops won't do them, because they fuck shit up.

Ok so let's look at this. Your "torque convertor is shuddering". How do you know the vibration you feel is the TC? How many miles are on the car? What kind of car is it?

Drop the pan, change the filter and top it off. Start with the simple stuff man. 9/10 times you can improve TRANS problems with a filter change.

2007 toyota yaris, 241k miles.I have uneven acceleration and tugging at around 25 mph and 45 mph, I hear a chattering when it engages.

When was the last fluid change?

about 8000miles ago but i suspect he just did a drain and fill. I did a drain and fill a week ago. Helped a lot but still has issues.

Then change the filter.

1966 car manual:
>your car is filled with our "life of vehicle" transmission fluid- which under normal driving conditions never needs to be changed"
2016 dealer suggestions:
>come pay us $99.99 every 10,000 miles to flush and replace your transmission fluid

Is it the torque converter? They typically don't lock up till 45+ MPH. Not sure how your toyota operates though.

Could be a bad clutch pack in the transmission.

Anyway changing the fluid wont hurt anything, don't listen to these idiots in here. It'll help.
2nd gear was slipping in my auto, changed the fluid and it is waaaaay better now.

The lifetime trans fluid is a more recent advent. They probably realize that there will be a problem that requires replacing the fluid long before it wears out anyway (like the sensor leak on the ZF autos)

Shit tier advice.

Transmission flushes don't hurt the vehicle. People blame transmission failure on a flush as they don't perform maintenance until they have a problem.